Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annual Richt of Passage: UGa opens with suspended players

Started by 3BoarsDown, March 28, 2012, 09:15:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Dan Wolken @DanWolken  ·  32m

One of these days I'm going to write a bunch of words about why eternally attaching "nice guy" to Mark Richt infuriates me.

A) It's usually said by people who don't know him. B) Has nothing to do with anything

Also: There are a lot of "nice guys" who are successful coaches. They don't become caricatures, nor is their niceness always brought up.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Glenn Guilbeau @LSUBeatTweet  ·  Sep 15

"I'd fire his ass," Finebaum caller says of Mark Richt. Unbelievable!

And Randy, the Finebaum caller, suggests Dabo to replace Richt...

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  Sep 18

Mark Richt's first reaction on being first in the ESPN survey of coaches: "I'd rather have beat South Carolina." http://www.macon.com/2014/09/17/3312353/richt-reacts-to-finishing-first.html ...

jbcarol

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 3h3 hours ago Athens, GA

Richt on players staying out of trouble this summer: "I'm just thankful that our guys did a good job."

jbcarol

DawgNation ‏@dawgnation Aug 4

Georgia celebrates "offseason without trouble or controversy," via @ChipTowersAJC http://bit.ly/1InC3WV

Seth Emerson ‏@SethEmersonAJC 9m9 minutes ago

Tim Worley's message to his former team: "Let my pain be your wisdom."
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/worleys-message-to-bulldogs-let-my-pain-be-your-wisdom ...

Tim Worley, then and now.

jbcarol

jbcarol

There will be a day when Kirby Smart will be presented with a tough decision, one which will establish how he handles disciplinary matters as Georgia's head coach, and send a message to his team and its fan base

QuoteSmart has had to dismiss two players, but one was basically out of his hands, and the other was a no-brainer [somehow passed the ACT]...

The harder calls, it seems, are coming soon. And when he does make those calls, Smart may find himself at the point Mark Richt once arrived at.

This recent spate of player arrests – six in a little more than four months – appears to be the most in this short a span that Georgia has had in a long time. It's worst than the most comparable run during the Richt era –

Back in 2010, between March 7 and April 27, Georgia had four players arrested in separate incidents. That would have been bad enough, but then it didn't stop.

Three more players were arrested in June and July, making it a total of seven between March 7 and July 10. Then four more players were arrested in August, September and October.

In all, between Feb. 2007 and October of 2010, there were 35 known arrests of Georgia football players. All of them were misdemeanors, 16 involved alcohol, and eight involved a suspended license. It was the worst stretch of off-field behavior under Richt.

This isn't to say that Smart now finds himself with another program in dire need of change. But six player arrests since March 20, a span of four months and two days, is a lot. And while two players who accounted for a total of four of those arrests are now gone from the team, the discipline for the other three remains to be determined.

What if Smart needs to send a larger statement? That may be a point the new coach needs to make.

jbcarol

Marc Weiszer ‏@marcweiszer 3h3 hours ago

Asked about offseason arrests, Kirby Smart says "five guys have been arrested and two are no longer with us."

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 2m2 minutes ago

Regarding Jonathan Ledbetter's suspension ... https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/regarding-jonathan-ledbetters-suspension

QuoteKirby Smart told ESPN's Chris Low on Monday that defensive end Jonathan Ledbetter would be suspended at least two games, and hinted it could be more.

UGA policy mandates a two-game suspension for a DUI offense. It's not really up to Smart.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/756504332124684288

QuoteSmart continues to decline to say how long the defensive lineman will be suspended after his second alcohol-related arrest this year. But Smart, speaking with ESPN.com on Monday at its "car wash" event in Bristol, had this to say:

"I'm not getting into the number of games, but I think it'll surprise everybody when they find out how many," he said.

You don't have to be smart to coach at Georgia.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 19h19 hours ago

Huge #Miami news: red-shirt junior Al-Quadin Muhammad and senior Jermaine Grace permanently dismissed from the Hurricanes program.