Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which former Razorback...

Started by pigbacon, December 31, 2017, 12:45:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigbacon

football player stands out that could take control and single-handedly change the flow and outcome of a football game?

I say Matt Jones. D-Mac a close #2.

I was watching some videos of MJ this morning- he was read option before that was even a popular scheme in CFB. At the time I just chalked it up to busted play, sand-lot football. But read option in its purest form all the way.

I give HDN no credit...this was pure instinct and MJ's style of play.

island hog

flagstaffhog

For the sake of a good argument I'd say D-Mac. Matt Jones a close #2.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

HawgHawk

Have to throw Steve Atwater into the mix. The plays he made on D changed momentum in an instant.

Boog41

If we are talking strictly Razorback career, Billy Ray Smith, Jr.

RagingHawgOn

So many candidates. No way I could name just one.

But, my top three would be DMac, Billy Ray and MJ.

I'd also add, James Shibest used to deliver when needed. Dude had uncanny ability to make big catches.

Porknoxville

26.2Hog

Only did it for one game - Roland Sales.

marshog

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

txkhog

Dickie Morton would have fit in that category from back in the day.

Flrazrback

Tony Bua... The Defensive Monster...

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Pudgepork

Agree with Danimal, BR Smith, several lbs seemed to make every play...........but I'll throw a vote for the smallest of them all, Tony Cherico

OneTuskOverTheLine™

December 31, 2017, 05:57:45 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:01:06 pm by 007 License To Squeal
Quote from: pigbacon on December 31, 2017, 12:45:06 pm
football player stands out that could take control and single-handedly change the flow and outcome of a football game?

I was watching some videos of MJ this morning- he was read option before that was even a popular scheme in CFB. At the time I just chalked it up to busted play, sand-lot football. But read option in its purest form all the way.

You think an 18yr old kid instinctively knew what the Read Option was and taught it to his head coach...?

Credit David Lee if you're too stupid to believe that HDN knew anything at all...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

007 License To Squeal

Matt Jones would have to get my vote.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

greenie

Matt Jones and DMac
No one else close.

But one has to wonder...what if Eugene Nash had put on the pads?...😃

RebHog

So disappointed in you guys seriously its a no brainer.... Vin Ascolese  8)

In all seriousness though I have to pick DMAC with a slight edge over MJ.

Planetary

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 31, 2017, 02:48:47 pm
Only did it for one game - Roland Sales.

BUT, Ooooohhh did he ever do it.!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BoogaHog

Billy Ray Smith, Quinn Grovey, DMAC.

tennesseehogwild

rljjr

Steve Little And Ish Ordonez. Mr Distance and Mr Accuracy.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: greenie on December 31, 2017, 06:00:49 pm
Matt Jones and DMac
No one else close.

Agreed!

Pumbaa

DMac behind Matt Jones? Sorry, but couldn't disagree more. DMac is one of the greatest RBs to have played in college.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HiggiePiggy

Matt jones could change a game for good or bad with in a matter of seconds.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IronHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 31, 2017, 09:57:08 pm
Matt jones could change a game for good or bad with in a matter of seconds.

Very Todd Day in that regard
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jneal56

Nothing wrong with giving credit where it's due. People want to give Malzahn all the credit but it did start with Jones at QB with Nutt. The forward pass may have been something of an enigma for Nutt, but running the ball was not.
"At least we are moral"

Birminghog

Danimal

Quote from: txkhog on December 31, 2017, 04:50:48 pm
Dickie Morton would have fit in that category from back in the day.
First name that popped into my head... **grabs walker and hobbles off**

Wild Bill Hog

kennypig

I remember and liked all these guys mentioned. Don't feel right picking one over another. I think the older you are the harder it is to pick a favorite. I remember (somewhat) watching Lance Alworth play in Little Rock, and seeing him and his wife on the Frank Broyles Show. Watching Bill Montgomery and Chuck Dicus, followed by this new hot shot QB from Louisiana, Joe Ferguson, and his first game as a Razorback coming in to play against Stanford and Jim Plunkett. It goes on from there. Every year is new.

atekido

Darren #1  He didn't make nearly as many boneheaded decisions in game as MJ

GoHogs1091

Darren McFadden
Quinn Grovey
Matt Jones

Wayne Martin and Steve Atwater would also control games.

Razorback_Mack

Read option can't be an instinct. Lol. You have to leave the DE unblocked and read him. Lol. Some of you posters are pure goofs. I guess the option back was on instinct too😂😂😂

ChitownHawg

Gotta go old school and give a shout out for Ben Cowins and Madre Hill. Loved me some Ron G as well.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

porkerfinger

Hawghiggs

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on December 31, 2017, 02:34:01 pm
So many candidates. No way I could name just one.

But, my top three would be DMac, Billy Ray and MJ.

I'd also add, James Shibest used to deliver when needed. Dude had uncanny ability to make big catches.

Yes Shibest was Clutch!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IronHog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 01, 2018, 08:20:35 am
Madre hill

As far as winning a football game handing this guy (pre injury) the ball 20 Times was tough to beat
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Razorback Pastor

Quote from: HawgHawk on December 31, 2017, 02:06:00 pm
Have to throw Steve Atwater into the mix. The plays he made on D changed momentum in an instant.

My answer as well

Although all these answers are awesome! We have had some GEMS at AR

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

allhogislost

My memories go back to 1974. On defense Billy Ray Smith he was unstoppable. Offense Dmac but Matt Jones was ridiculous.  Lots of great choices Barry Foster was a monster. Jimmy Walker and Dan Hampton were unbelievably good. Hamlin,Kennedy, and the great one Steve Atwater. That said it was Billy Ray in my mind.

allhogislost

Left a giant out Shawn Andrews is criminally overlooked.

CDBHawg

hawkhawg

Quote from: greenie on December 31, 2017, 06:00:49 pm
Matt Jones and DMac
No one else close.

I agree with you. DMAC and Matt Jones sit all alone at the top of this list. 

hawkhawg

Auburn would say Fred Talley.