Anyone been? Worth a trip?

TIA

ImHogginIt

Quote from: HawgWild on January 31, 2016, 09:17:18 am
Anyone been? Worth a trip?

TIA

Yes. You will love this place

http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/

Drive thru Hill Country to President Johnson's ranch too. It is only a 20 min drive from Fredricksburg

http://www.nps.gov/lyjo/planyourvisit/visitlbjranch.htm

HawgWild

Thanks. What's the town like?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: HawgWild on January 31, 2016, 04:48:08 pm
Thanks. What's the town like?

We only spent part of a day there. We drove from Dallas to San Antonio for a few days then on way back stopped in Fredericksburg and went to war museum and a neat German restaurant for late lunch. Then we drove to Johnson's ranch to finish out the day then spent night in Austin. Fredericksburg was a beautiful  town though.

DeltaBoy

We been twice and it great german food and just pretty countryside. 

Climb the Rock and go to Luckenbach Texas since it just down the road.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock

http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/

The WW2 Museum pretty good too.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

Did either of you stop in New Braunfels/Gruene? What's the best way to Fredericksburg from Dallas; down to Austin and over? Another way? Not interested in going all the way into San Antonio.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: HawgWild on February 01, 2016, 02:11:16 pm
Did either of you stop in New Braunfels/Gruene? What's the best way to Fredericksburg from Dallas; down to Austin and over? Another way? Not interested in going all the way into San Antonio.

We drove from Dallas to San Antonio and spent a few days then to Fredericksburg, Johnson's Ranch and back to Austin.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HawgWild on February 01, 2016, 02:11:16 pm

We go this way from Cleburne

via TX-16 S/N State Hwy 16
3 h 9 min without traffic
DETAILS
3 h 23 min
205 miles
via TX-174 S and TX-16 S/N State Hwy 16
3 h 8 min without traffic
3 h 28 min
206 miles
via US-281
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HawgWild

Google Maps has me driving down I-35 to Georgetown and then over to Marble Falls and down 281 into Johnson City to 290 and Fredericksburg. I'm guessing that Hwy 16 is OK to drive since that's your choice. Is it because of less traffic? More scenic? Good stops along the way? Marble Falls has a great pie shop I'm told.

Ever take the Willow City Loop above Fredericksburg?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HawgWild on February 17, 2016, 01:34:01 pm
Google Maps has me driving down I-35 to Georgetown and then over to Marble Falls and down 281 into Johnson City to 290 and Fredericksburg. I'm guessing that Hwy 16 is OK to drive since that's your choice. Is it because of less traffic? More scenic? Good stops along the way? Marble Falls has a great pie shop I'm told.

My wife hates I-35 and yes it scenic and way less traffic. Some times you won't see another soul for up to a hour.

PonderinHog

Be careful driving at night out that way.  Deer country.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 20, 2016, 12:01:28 pm
Be careful driving at night out that way.  Deer country.

Yes last time we drove down I counted 6 dead deer on Hwy 16.

Justifiable Hogicide

Lots of shopping for the ladies, wonderful German food (and everything else German), more wineries than you will believe (with ample and organized touring opportunities) and as earlier advised be sure and take in the Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War and the LBJ Ranch.

snoblind

A couple of my best friends have a ranch out west of town. Fredericksburg is one of my favorite places.

Willow City loop is worth the time.  Used to have one my all time favorite Barbeque places in Willow City.  Think it is Knot In The Loop Saloon now.   

Freidhelm's, Altdorf, Auslander, and the Brew Pub for eats lunch and supper.  Opa's for sausage to take home.

Everything mentioned above to do.  Coming all the way down 281 is a far more enjoyable drive than 35.

DeltaBoy

Loop is pretty if I am remembering correctly.

cram224

I second the wine stops. You can make a day if you catch all of the winery's. There is also a distillery that's does tours as well.

DeltaBoy

Eat Drink and be Merry.