Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40 Years Ago Today...

Started by nesjunk, January 02, 2018, 10:02:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_Better_Hogs

Watching this video is quite a project, but a fun one. I'm almost to halftime. The game action is great. It's not like OU didn't have anything, they'd look like steamrollers, then we would just blast them. A few times the camera got fooled by their triple option. They'd follow the dive back and it would look like a good gain, but then you see Thomas Lott, with the ball, tackled in the backfield for a 10 yard loss!

And I love the commercials. So many funny things I have no reason to remember. As Tejano mentioned, the strange NBC logo. Then the National Airlines commercial where the faces appear in the logo. The Pontiac spots. Lou Rawls singing in a Budweiser spot. And Johnny Rutherford selling Xerox copiers!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 03, 2018, 12:10:18 am
More like 60 now!

True. But.....
"They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to raise a smile"
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 06:24:14 am
The Steve Little quick kick is the play that sticks out most in my mind.  When he kneeled down in the backfield (so as not to be in OU's sight I'm guessing) I jumped up and started yelling "Quick Kick".  He stuck out like a sore thumb because we didn't have any white backs except Calcagni.  He got all of his foot into that ball.  A great night indeed.

I think he was  trying to keep his jersey number from being seen and giving away their intent. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: razorbacker3 on January 02, 2018, 11:46:37 pm
I was 23 and spent the 2 days before in Dallas celebrating New Years and going to the NFC championship, Dallas vs, Minnesota. Left Dallas when the Cotton Bowl, Texas vs. Notre Dame started and got back to Pine Bluff just in time to eat dinner and watch the hogs destroy OU. Capped off a fantastic weekend.

I was 24 and had been living in Dallas for almost 2 years.  I went to my first Cotton Bowl game in person that afternoon and watched as Notre Dame dismantled Texas.  It was balls cold!  The game was on CBS, and I remember seeing Brent Musberger and "The Greek" strolling on the sidelines in the second half in their NY style top coats with scarf.  Went to the game with my father.  Then went went to dinner with Mom and Dad before watching our game.  I remember a whole lot of whooping and hollering.  And a few Hog Calls.

okrazorback

I watched that game on TV also. Am I the oldest guy on this board. I was 40 years old at the time. I was really happy about the outcome. We not only beat mighty Oklahoma. We clobbered them.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: okrazorback on January 06, 2018, 11:13:16 am
I watched that game on TV also. Am I the oldest guy on this board. I was 40 years old at the time. I was really happy about the outcome. We not only beat mighty Oklahoma. We clobbered them.

You may be.  Keep hanging in there.

pigture perfect

I was at the airport in Little Rock with my parents. My sister had gone on a missions trip to Central America and we were picking her up. Her plane was late and we got to watch most of the game there. Had to listen to the radio, the last quarter.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hoghearted

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 11:34:53 am
Why did he need a hat with an umbrella.....................If I were the coach I would never agree to wear another teams hat under any circumstances in public. Especially on national TV.

seems like I remember another Florida related 'hat' event in Razorback history......involved a local reporter, as I recall....
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

TNhawgfan

I thought this was going to be a thread on Sgt. Pepper from the title
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

alohawg

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 02, 2018, 12:52:12 pm
It's a trip watching the broadcast as it was, commercials, pre-game and all. This will take awhile to get through. I'll watch a few minutes every chance I get.

I remember the opening segment, with Switzer under the umbrella in the rain. And I thought it was more obvious that Holtz was not in the rain (interesting story here about Lou's cap), like the bad weather was only on the Oklahoma side...maybe I just imagined it. Or it was a strange positive premonition.

So many great details, like the short-lived NBC "N" logo. Forgot that Frank did the opening prayer. It's funny hearing how the play-by-play and color are done...Merlin sounded very subdued at first. And when he was introducing OU's offensive line, I could swear he says their right tackle is a "full-blooded Indian." I backed it up several times, can't figure out anything else he could've said.

I was a freshman in high school then, and was watching the game with my parents in our living room. We all came out of our seats on every good play. Like every play in OU's first series...we were just hammering them. Heck, they fumbled on their first play, but Sims recovered it. I love our first snap, with Calcagni keeping on a nice option run. He was so money running the veer-option. And after Sales scored on the next play, Jim Simpson exclaims "What a day for football!" Indeed.

Sounds like our living room, unforgettable night. Class of '81 here too.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoghearted on January 06, 2018, 01:12:29 pm
seems like I remember another Florida related 'hat' event in Razorback history......involved a local reporter, as I recall....

Yep but she wasn't employed by the athletic department...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

I was in Middle school them and Now I am a Old man .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.