Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Byers

Started by fishes2000, June 20, 2016, 08:43:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HardingHog

GUYS!!! ALL we have to do is BELIEVE !!! that he will qualify and want to come HERE!!!!
WE CAN SIGN ANYONE if we just BELIEVE THAT WE'RE #1!!!

(Kinda disappointed I had to be the first to say this)

If we offer and he signs. Awesome. If we don't offer and he doesn't sign. Cool, good luck man! Whoever the staff gets, I trust is a great player that they wanted and that sounds like a great scenario to me
Pulling an offer is bad because we live in a "headline society" where the tweet or post or title of the paper story will read "Local Player's Scholarship Pulled by Hometown University". Details are often obsolete in today's world.  Go Hogs  :razorback:

lefty08

With placing at juCo you can't guarantee they even sign with you next year. It's too risky with limited scholarships
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Coach Bielema has often been said that Hayden Frye taught him that you "recruit your own problems." Arkansas kid or not, having problems with grades at this point could be a sign of things to come. The last thing we need is player we really depend on not being able to play due to grades.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 21, 2016, 06:53:07 am
Coach Bielema has often been said that Hayden Frye taught him that you "recruit your own problems." Arkansas kid or not, having problems with grades at this point could be a sign of things to come. The last thing we need is player we really depend on not being able to play due to grades.
A lot of truth to that. Yes, it's certainly possible that the young man COULD get his grades straightened out and qualify. He could also make the required ACT score and go on to have a terrific career. However, there's also the chance that he could continue to struggle and either not qualify at all or ultimately not be able to handle the college study load.

I realize it's a "crap shoot" either way. I also acknowledge that to some degree recruiting itself is filled with uncertainty with almost every kid at risk due to injuries, academics,  personal acts of stupidity, etc. Having said that, CBB has repeatedly stated the above and has usually elected to be more cautious and conservative. Like it or not, agree with it or not, let's give the man and his staff the benefit of the doubt. Should Bret decide that Byers warrants an offer then great; if not, then let's move on and concentrate on someone else who he feels is better material. Geezzzz....this ain't rocket science.

Cinco de Hogo

Why don't we just call this what it is?  Saban playing games with CBB and other coaches trying to get them chasing their tails.   I back the coaches because I don't know all the details.  It's only the records that stand, including the police records etc...

Razorbackers

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 03:44:48 pm
Makes zero sense to you, obviously the staff is happy with that approach.

You know who else likes it? Parents.

The Alabama's of the world can afford to yank scholarships from people. We can't. Bielema's reputation as a coach and recruiter that takes care of his players is opening a lot of doors for us. Offering scholarships to kids that we aren't sure will qualify wouldn't be honest.

I like our approach as well. I'm sure that Bret has said "If you get your grades up, you can be a Razorback." Now we just have to see if he wants it bad enough.

rljjr

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 20, 2016, 03:43:13 pm
I'll never understand how pulling his offer because he won't qualify is a bad thing for the university of arkansas.   That would be his fault and completely justifiable.   

Makes zero sense.  If you don't qualify then of course your offer will be pulled.  Just tell him that's what's gonna happen if he doesn't make the grades and offer him.   

Because you have to EARN things, not have them given to you. Apparently the staff considers good grades and academic standing as a condition of employment, or  in this case, scholarship. There are standards and they hold to them. Like the standards or not, you have to respect they do what they say. There is no say/do gap.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorbackers on June 21, 2016, 08:05:29 am
You know who else likes it? Parents.

The Alabama's of the world can afford to yank scholarships from people. We can't. Bielema's reputation as a coach and recruiter that takes care of his players is opening a lot of doors for us. Offering scholarships to kids that we aren't sure will qualify wouldn't be honest.

I like our approach as well. I'm sure that Bret has said "If you get your grades up, you can be a Razorback." Now we just have to see if he wants it bad enough.

You can make this argument fit whatever biased stance you take.  Is there any statistical evidence that it matters to the parents of four and five stars?  I think those parents are very happy with an offer from any elite athletic school.  This approach will probably work well for Arkansas because we don't have the status to immediately attract those players.  If Bielema's approach works and we start winning 10-11 games a year then we will attract the attention f those players because we are winning.  But not because of his approach to recruiting.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 21, 2016, 08:27:48 am
You can make this argument fit whatever biased stance you take.  Is there any statistical evidence that it matters to the parents of four and five stars?  I think those parents are very happy with an offer from any elite athletic school.  This approach will probably work well for Arkansas because we don't have the status to immediately attract those players.  If Bielema's approach works and we start winning 10-11 games a year then we will attract the attention f those players because we are winning.  But not because of his approach to recruiting.

Biased? You're the one that mentioned 4 and 5 star players, he didn't. The fact Byers has not received an offer, despite being highly rated, is evidence Bielema has standards that he expects to be met. There have been numerous articles stating how parents like the academic support their kids will be receiving at Arkansas. Stars are irrelevant to his point.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 21, 2016, 09:10:05 am
Biased? You're the one that mentioned 4 and 5 star players, he didn't. The fact Byers has not received an offer, despite being highly rated, is evidence Bielema has standards that he expects to be met. There have been numerous articles stating how parents like the academic support their kids will be receiving at Arkansas. Stars are irrelevant to his point.

Did you say anything relevant?   

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Razorbackers

You can make this argument fit whatever biased stance you take.

Well, this is a Razorback board. My name is Razorbackers, named after the website that I run. So...I guess a little bias is expected.

Is there any statistical evidence that it matters to the parents of four and five stars?

I don't think that there is a recruiting service keeping statistics on that. Can you show me evidence that it DOESN'T matter to those parents? Nope.

This approach will probably work well for Arkansas because we don't have the status to immediately attract those players. 

Yeah...wait, what are we arguing about then?

If Bielema's approach works and we start winning 10-11 games a year then we will attract the attention f those players because we are winning.  But not because of his approach to recruiting.

So if he recruits well and we win and more recruits come it's because we won and not because he recruited well.

jry04

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 20, 2016, 03:43:13 pm
I'll never understand how pulling his offer because he won't qualify is a bad thing for the university of arkansas.   That would be his fault and completely justifiable.   

Makes zero sense.  If you don't qualify then of course your offer will be pulled.  Just tell him that's what's gonna happen if he doesn't make the grades and offer him.   
They have already told him what the deal is. It has been reported by every Arkansas recruiting reporter since day one. The staff met with his coaches and his family and told him he has a spot if he has the grades. He knows regardless of what he says in public.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorbackers on June 21, 2016, 09:36:49 am
Well, this is a Razorback board. My name is Razorbackers, named after the website that I run. So...I guess a little bias is expected.

I don't think that there is a recruiting service keeping statistics on that. Can you show me evidence that it DOESN'T matter to those parents? Nope.

Yeah...wait, what are we arguing about then?

So if he recruits well and we win and more recruits come it's because we won and not because he recruited well.

You may get it one day if you pay attention to what you are saying vs what I am saying.  Maybe not!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: jry04 on June 21, 2016, 09:48:52 am
They have already told him what the deal is. It has been reported by every Arkansas recruiting reporter since day one. The staff met with his coaches and his family and told him he has a spot if he has the grades. He knows regardless of what he says in public.

So he does have an offer?  A conditional offer!  Wait, we don't do that.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: jry04 on June 21, 2016, 09:48:52 am

Where did you find/hear these specifics?  Everything I've heard up to this point has been very vague. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 21, 2016, 10:25:58 am
So he does have an offer?  A conditional offer!  Wait, we don't do that.

He does not have an offer in hand.

Like I, and so many others have said, he has been informed that an offer will be made if he qualifies academically.

But you can make all this fit whatever bias stance you take.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: lefty08 on June 21, 2016, 09:35:22 am
Yes

Taken by its self, no.

There are very very few parents of the caliber player we have currently offered that wouldn't be happy with a offer from Arkansas regardless of recruiting strategy.  Our strategy will only prove effective when it translates into higher rated players(and their parents) being excited about an Arkansas offer and when we start signing enough of them to win 9+ games per year.

I've said nothing one way or the other negative about the recruiting of this particular player or CBB's recruiting strategy.  If it gets us the wins to move up in the recruiting world it will have been successful.  However I've said this before and I stand by it.  The higher rated athletes that we are not getting right now will for the most part be uninterested in this recruiting strategy and more interested in win totals.  Fact is they jst have too many options that are just as good or better at that level.   

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorbackers on June 21, 2016, 10:32:25 am
He does not have an offer in hand.

Like I, and so many others have said, he has been informed that an offer will be made if he qualifies academically.

But you can make all this fit whatever bias stance you take.

LOL!

Razorbackers

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 21, 2016, 10:40:18 am
Taken by its self, no.

There are very very few parents of the caliber player we have currently offered that wouldn't be happy with a offer from Arkansas regardless of recruiting strategy.  Our strategy will only prove effective when it translates into higher rated players(and their parents) being excited about an Arkansas offer and when we start signing enough of them to win 9+ games per year.

I've said nothing one way or the other negative about the recruiting of this particular player or CBB's recruiting strategy.  If it gets us the wins to move up in the recruiting world it will have been successful.  However I've said this before and I stand by it.  The higher rated athletes that we are not getting right now will for the most part be uninterested in this recruiting strategy and more interested in win totals.  Fact is they jst have too many options that are just as good or better at that level.

CBB places as much emphasis on the caliper of a person as he does the caliper of a player. That is not a recruiting "strategy". It is a standard...stars be darned.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 21, 2016, 11:01:08 am
CBB places as much emphasis on the caliper of a person as he does the caliper of a player. That is not a recruiting "strategy". It is a standard...stars be darned.

So your saying that in the future we will be turning down higher rated recruits versus them turning us down?  I see how that works for your crowd.  Yes I do believe that CBB will maintain his standrads and I don't have one little problem with that, "wins be darned".  I'm just interested in seeing it unfold.  It's just the way people put things that I find is entertaining.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cinco de Hogo

By the way, which is easier to say?

4-5 star
Or
Higher rated recruit etc...

People really get confused when people use _ star.

For most of us it's just an industry buzz word.

For most of us the star system is a graduating scale for identifying higher rated recruits.  Wierd huh?

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 21, 2016, 11:14:22 am
So your saying that in the future we will be turning down higher rated recruits versus them turning us down?  I see how that works for your crowd.  Yes I do believe that CBB will maintain his standrads and I don't have one little problem with that, "wins be darned".  I'm just interested in seeing it unfold.  It's just the way people put things that I find is entertaining.

That entertainment works both ways, lol.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on June 21, 2016, 11:18:04 am

Caliper.

what is the star rating on that Caliper?  Oh well I don't guess it really matters anyway as I hear it has narrowed down its list to Sears, Wal-Mart and Home Depot

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on June 21, 2016, 11:22:50 am
what is the star rating on that Caliper?  Oh well I don't guess it really matters anyway as I hear it has narrowed down its list to Sears, Wal-Mart and Home Depot

Bama has Digital calipers, we're always so far behind in recruiting and the arms race.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on June 21, 2016, 11:27:26 am
Bama has Digital calipers, we're always so far behind in recruiting and the arms race.

well, it isn't for a lack of trying.  Long's proposal got voted down 6-4 or we would have them too.  Something about not enough of our buildings are built using the digital ones so there was no need to switch from the ones we had

The_Hog_Father

Pump those brakes, I hear He's going on an Official Visit to Amazon... Sears is no longer in his top three according to his Supervising Mechanic.

Wildhog

4.5 stars according to Amazon.  I'll have to check the other services, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 21, 2016, 11:14:22 am

Which guy is walking the campus right now? The stud O-lineman from Michigan who had a brush with the law or the graduate transfer from Texas?

Porked Tongue

There is not an "offer". 

There was a private conversation as to why there isn't(an offer).

I will add that CBB isn't concerned with how it looks.  He doesn't march to that drum.  He runs his program and they run theirs.  You don't make public statements about why you have not offered a recruit.  Byers knows what he needs to know.

PEtrader

Can anyone shed some light on what this kids issues are? 

Is it just d's across the board,  or is there something more?
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Razorbackers

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 21, 2016, 11:44:23 am
There is not an "offer". 

I will add that CBB isn't concerned with how it looks.  He doesn't march to that drum.  He runs his program and they run theirs.  You don't make public statements about why you have not offered a recruit.  Byers knows what he needs to know.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on June 21, 2016, 11:21:02 am
That entertainment works both ways, lol.

I know and the post after yours were funny you got to admit.  After awhile when everything has been said its time to lighten up.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 21, 2016, 11:44:23 am
There is not an "offer". 

So he has a conditional offer?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: PEtrader on June 21, 2016, 12:27:29 pm

No one can give you anything more than speculation

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on June 21, 2016, 01:22:32 pm
No one can give you anything more than speculation

Nope, and we shouldn't really expect any different.

Porked Tongue

Maybe they can, but decided they won't.

navyhog24

Quote from: PEtrader on June 21, 2016, 12:27:29 pm

Would you want your kid's grades posted for the whole world to see?

IronMountainHog

If character is such a big deal why did we recruit, bring in on official visit, and pursue Sharieff Raheem Muhammad?  You know the guy who raped and impregnated his 14 year old cousin. Signed with Louisville and the scumbag Petrino.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/131191

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/25/louisville-recruit-charged-with-felony-for-impregnating-14-year-old-cousin/

factchecker

Quote from: IronMountainHog on June 21, 2016, 04:20:49 pm
If character is such a big deal why did we recruit, bring in on official visit, and pursue Sharieff Raheem Muhammad?  You know the guy who raped and impregnated his 14 year old cousin. Signed with Louisville and the scumbag Petrino.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/131191

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/25/louisville-recruit-charged-with-felony-for-impregnating-14-year-old-cousin/

If I remember correctly, we backed off the guy pretty early.  However, I don't know how any coach could have predicted what was to come.  The charges and arrest of Sharieef didn't happen until after signing day.

If we would have offered after the charges then I would understand your point.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 21, 2016, 11:01:08 am
Quote from: factchecker on June 21, 2016, 04:26:57 pm
If I remember correctly, we backed off the guy pretty early.  However, I don't know how any coach could have predicted what was to come.  The charges and arrest of Sharieef didn't happen until after signing day.

The girl also said that Rhaheed-Muhammad began touching her inappropriately when she was 11-years-old.

Rhaheed-Muhammad, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound Rivals three-star prospect at outside linebacker, signed with Louisville on February 5, choosing the Cardinals over Michigan State, Arkansas, and Missouri.

This was going on 3 years prior to National signing day and we were on him till the end if I remember correctly. I might be wrong though.

ricepig

Quote from: IronMountainHog on June 21, 2016, 04:43:45 pm
The girl also said that Rhaheed-Muhammad began touching her inappropriately when she was 11-years-old.

Rhaheed-Muhammad, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound Rivals three-star prospect at outside linebacker, signed with Louisville on February 5, choosing the Cardinals over Michigan State, Arkansas, and Missouri.

This was going on 3 years prior to National signing day and we were on him till the end if I remember correctly. I might be wrong though.

You would be wrong, he tried to commit and we didn't accept it. Also, how were schools to know of this behavior, if she didn't say anything until 3 years later?

factchecker

Quote from: IronMountainHog on June 21, 2016, 04:43:45 pm

How would we know that without any formal charges?

Do you think that coaches should ask recruits if they molest their cousins?

Really?

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

I think CBB takes a chance on a couple per year and that is about all we can afford to take a chance on.  Thankfully none of those have been arrested for anything serious or really anything at all.  We lose players that we the fans thought highly of.  As far as I know all of those have been handled quite well.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: factchecker on June 21, 2016, 04:55:04 pm

Really?

Background checks just like Byers got. Vet his coaches, friends, teachers, patents like Byers is getting. This was going on 3 years and nobody saw or knew anything?  Just sayin..

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on June 21, 2016, 04:55:04 pm

Really?

Nah he should just ask Hogville.

factchecker

Quote from: IronMountainHog on June 21, 2016, 05:01:12 pm
Background checks just like Byers got. Vet his coaches, friends, teachers, patents like Byers is getting. This was going on 3 years and nobody saw or knew anything?  Just sayin..

NOBODY KNEW ABOUT IT.... If his coaches, teachers, or parents knew about it they would be in a world of legal trouble for allowing it to happen without reporting.

I understand that you are grasping for straws.  There is only so much a coach can detect from official visits and interactions with recruits.  Coach Bielema, like many coaches, go above and beyond to find out about recruits backgrounds.  He interviews coaches, family members, and teachers.  He has cut ties with recruits b/c of grades, poor behavior, mistreatment of mothers, and/or poor social media maturity.

I have zero doubt that if any of this information was available that most coaches (even Petrino) would have backed off sooner.  Coach Bielema backed off Sharieef abruptly and perhaps we know the reason why.

A better example of poor character recruiting would be Petrino bringing in transfer Jonathan Taylor. Taylor was kicked out of TCU and went Juco AFTER being arrested for punching his ex-girlfriend. http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-louisville-take-risks-on-recruits-arrested-for-abusing-women/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: IronMountainHog on June 21, 2016, 05:01:12 pm

How do yo you know what Byers is getting?