Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Byers

Started by fishes2000, June 20, 2016, 08:43:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fishes2000

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-loses-out-on-top-dt-target-to-michigan

quote from article: The Crimson Tide staff made Solomon a priority and those close to the program had said he may have been the team's top target at defensive tackle.

Now, Alabama will focus its attention on 5-star defensive tackle Marvin Wilson (Bellaire, Texas) and 4-star Akial Byers (Fayetteville, Ark.).

I can't remember hearing anything about the kid from Fayetteville. Any news on him coming to Arkansas?

HogNDas

Quote from: fishes2000 on June 20, 2016, 08:43:33 am
https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-loses-out-on-top-dt-target-to-michigan

quote from article: The Crimson Tide staff made Solomon a priority and those close to the program had said he may have been the team's top target at defensive tackle.

Now, Alabama will focus its attention on 5-star defensive tackle Marvin Wilson (Bellaire, Texas) and 4-star Akial Byers (Fayetteville, Ark.).

I can't remember hearing anything about the kid from Fayetteville. Any news on him coming to Arkansas?
I don't think we have really pursued him hard....word on the board is he is not "uncommon"....bama thinks so!

navyhog24

Academics are the concern

HogNDas

Quote from: navyhog24 on June 20, 2016, 09:12:37 am
Academics are the concern
GOOD info....thanks for sharing...

fishes2000

Thanks for the update.

jry04

He will be offered when his grades are up. As of now he is a long shot to qualify.

jackflash

I wonder where the DL going to come from?

LRHawg

Alabama can afford to offer him up until the day before signing day and then pull it if need be. We've seen them do it. Being in-state, my guess is any offer will be after academic qualification is confirmed.

Music City Hog

I'll never understand how pulling his offer because he won't qualify is a bad thing for the university of arkansas.   That would be his fault and completely justifiable.   

Makes zero sense.  If you don't qualify then of course your offer will be pulled.  Just tell him that's what's gonna happen if he doesn't make the grades and offer him.   

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 20, 2016, 03:43:13 pm
I'll never understand how pulling his offer because he won't qualify is a bad thing for the university of arkansas.   That would be his fault and completely justifiable.   

Makes zero sense.  If you don't qualify then of course your offer will be pulled.  Just tell him that's what's gonna happen if he doesn't make the grades and offer him.   

Makes zero sense to you, obviously the staff is happy with that approach.

Vantage 8 dude

Unfortunately for your way of thinking I believe it's become apparent to anyone paying 1/2 attention the last couple/three years CBB approaches it a different way. He obviously prefers not to have to deal with last minute dramas when it comes to things like grades and/or deportment. Apparently he prefers trying to nail down kids who don't have such issues well before hand. While it may not always end up as a fool proof method, he and the staff seem to be far more comfortable that way. Besides, one rarely, if ever, sees an offer revoked once it's been extended (and most definitely accepted) by the Hill's staff. Compare that with how many last minute "pulls" come so many of our SEC brethren.

HogNDas

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 20, 2016, 04:01:51 pm
Unfortunately for your way of thinking I believe it's become apparent to anyone paying 1/2 attention the last couple/three years CBB approaches it a different way. He obviously prefers not to have to deal with last minute dramas when it comes to things like grades and/or deportment. Apparently he prefers trying to nail down kids who don't have such issues well before hand. While it may not always end up as a fool proof method, he and the staff seem to be far more comfortable that way. Besides, one rarely, if ever, sees an offer revoked once it's been extended (and most definitely accepted) by the Hill's staff. Compare that with how many last minute "pulls" come so many of our SEC brethren.
It amazes me how our fans "fit our argument" to justify anything... Let's look at it another way, make a conditional offer to INSPIRE him to work harder in the classroom so he can be an Uncommon Hog  :razorback: instead of letting him slip away to Bama when he qualifies!.... SMH ::) :razorback:

HogNDas

For that matter, do a "Sign & Place"....if he does not have the grades, we send him to a Juco and he returns one year later after he qualifies... Bama does it and OM got a commit today from a "sign & place"..... No sense in just giving up on him UNLESS there is another reason we do not know about....

HogNDas

Agree....writing off a 4* that will land at Bama!!!

razorbacker3

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 06:57:34 pm
It amazes me how our fans "fit our argument" to justify anything... Let's look at it another way, make a conditional offer to INSPIRE him to work harder in the classroom so he can be an Uncommon Hog  :razorback: instead of letting him slip away to Bama when he qualifies!.... SMH ::) :razorback:

How do you know that hasn't happened? The coaching staff doesn't need to tell all. "Get your grades up to xxx and you have an offer that won't be jerked"

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:03:10 pm
For that matter, do a "Sign & Place"....if he does not have the grades, we send him to a Juco and he returns one year later after he qualifies... Bama does it and OM got a commit today from a "sign & place"..... No sense in just giving up on him UNLESS there is another reason we do not know about....

You lose the scholarship if they don't qualify.

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:04:11 pm
Agree....writing off a 4* that will land at Bama!!!

Well, the last 4* from NWA isn't exactly setting world on fire down there....

HogNDas

Quote from: razorbacker3 on June 20, 2016, 07:05:21 pm
How do you know that hasn't happened? The coaching staff doesn't need to tell all. "Get your grades up to xxx and you have an offer that won't be jerked"
Again, "make the argument fit the situation"....just going by what every expert in this room has said and what the young man has said & tweeted...but, hey, you're probably right, he has announced all his other offers, just not our "secret" one...

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 07:07:38 pm
Oh, okay...well what about OUR 4* recruits from NWA?   I think we're VERY happy to have them...starting LB & QB...., but again, let's make/find a way to justify NOT offering a kid Bama is gonna get!

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:09:07 pm
Again, "make the argument fit the situation"....just going by what every expert in this room has said and what the young man has said & tweeted...but, hey, you're probably right, he has announced all his other offers, just not our "secret" one...

Why would he tweet, "I've got an offer from Arkansas, if I make my grades"???? Most of these kids are embarrassed of their academic standing and will hem haw around even talking about it to reporters.

parallaxpig

With all that's going on at different campuses right now I'm glad we have a coach who has a set of standards that apply equally know matter what the star rating.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

SultanofSwine

Instead of whining about the way CBB chooses to recruit for his team, why don't you head over to campus tomorrow while the camp is going on and line his azz out on how he should be recruiting. I am sure he would be receptive and appreciative of your ideas.

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 07:13:11 pm
Why would he tweet, "I've got an offer from Arkansas, if I make my grades"???? Most of these kids are embarrassed of their academic standing and will hem haw around even talking about it to reporters.
because ALL the offers are conditional...no one can sign you if you DON'T qualify, but ALL the kids announce their offers...

HogNDas

Quote from: SultanofSwine on June 20, 2016, 07:18:14 pm
Instead of whining about the way CBB chooses to recruit for his team, why don't you head over to campus tomorrow while the camp is going on and line his azz out on how he should be recruiting. I am sure he would be receptive and appreciative of your ideas.
It's just my opinion....no need to get all discombobulated.... We'll let the chips fall where they may, but when the "chickens don't come home to roost"; don't cry to me!!!

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:20:23 pm
because ALL the offers are conditional...no one can sign you if you DON'T qualify, but ALL the kids announce their offers...

Sure you can sign them, but if they don't qualify, you lose the scholarship. Read the rules and you'll avoid saying such statements. Javon Pruitt ring a bell?

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 07:28:22 pm
Sure you can sign them, but if they don't qualify, you lose the scholarship. Read the rules and you'll avoid saying such statements. Javon Pruitt ring a bell?
Not if they don't qualify....

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:30:26 pm
Not if they don't qualify....

You clearly don't understand how the 25 scholarship limit works (per signing period in the SEC). If school signs 25 players and only 22 of qualify then next season you can only sign 25.

If only sign 22 players the next season you can sign 28, counting 3 back to the previous class.

HogNDas

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 20, 2016, 07:33:23 pm
You clearly don't understand how the 25 scholarship limit works. If sign 25 players and only 22 of qualify the next season you can only sign 25.

If only sign 22 players the next season you can sign 28.
If 3 don't qualify, you STILL have those 3 to use for other qualifiers...THEY DID NOT QUALIFY so they did not USE up a scholly.... just better have some good ones waiting in the wings...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:35:54 pm
If 3 don't qualify, you STILL have those 3 to use for other qualifiers...THEY DID NOT QUALIFY so they did not USE up a scholly.... just better have some good ones waiting in the wings...

No.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/sec_learning_to_live_with_new.html

You can use those 3 scholarships on walk-on that have been on the program over 2 season.

jdelo77

There is more than meets the eye with this kid , academics are huge and he would need to get his grades way up to qualify , he wants to go to school somewhere away from here , I don't know why just what he says ! ...now your wondering how I know all this right ? My mom is a Teacher at Fayetteville and talks to him almost daily ...

HogNDas

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 20, 2016, 07:43:03 pm
No.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/sec_learning_to_live_with_new.html

You can use those 3 scholarships on walk-on that have been on the program over 2 season.
Your article PROVES my point....You can NOT sign a player that does not qualify...your article reads that you can't "drop" a qualifying signee for a recruit that becomes academically eligible during the summer....Thank you!!!

The NCAA also adopted the SEC's proposal to count summer enrollees on financial aid toward a team's scholarship numbers for the next academic year. That gives universities less freedom to remove a scholarship from a player after he attends summer school simply because a different recruit gains eligibility late. The SEC has not yet adopted the summer-school rule, which goes into effect next summer.

HogNDas

Quote from: jdelo77 on June 20, 2016, 07:44:58 pm
There is more than meets the eye with this kid , academics are huge and he would need to get his grades way up to qualify , he wants to go to school somewhere away from here , I don't know why just what he says ! ...now your wondering how I know all this right ? My mom is a Teacher at Fayetteville and talks to him almost daily ...
That's what I said about 12 posts ago, there must be OTHER issues.....Thanks jdelo, but happy to have educated some on the fact you can not sign a kid that does not qualify and hence, you can't LOSE a scholly if they do not qualify.... you just better have a good one waiting in the wings.... that is what most SEC teams do, they "sign & place".....they want the player so bad they let them know if they go JUCO, there will be a place for them  NEXT year, but it counts against NEXT year!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:54:17 pm
Your article PROVES my point....You can NOT sign a player that does not qualify...your article reads that you can't "drop" a qualifying signee for a recruit that becomes academically eligible during the summer....Thank you!!!

The NCAA also adopted the SEC's proposal to count summer enrollees on financial aid toward a team's scholarship numbers for the next academic year. That gives universities less freedom to remove a scholarship from a player after he attends summer school simply because a different recruit gains eligibility late. The SEC has not yet adopted the summer-school rule, which goes into effect next summer.
? What? I think you have a major reading comprehension problem. That is not what that Paragraph is saying.

If you can't sign a non-qualifier then how did Bama sign this kid last recruiting cycle?

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Kendell-Jones-releases-statement-on-going-JUCO--45695338

As Ricepig mentioned. Then how did we sign Pruitt?

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 20, 2016, 08:01:59 pm
? What? I think you have a major read comprehension problem. That is not what that Paragraph is saying.

If you can't sign a non-qualifier then how did Bama sign this kid last recruiting cycle?

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Kendell-Jones-releases-statement-on-going-JUCO--45695338

As Ricepig mention. Then how did we sign Pruitt?
You're wasting your time. Maybe if you put it in all caps and added about 5 exclamation marks, it might sink in.

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 08:04:10 pm
You're wasting your time. Maybe if you put it in all caps and added about 5 exclamation marks, it might sink in.
YOU'RE RIGHT, I AM!!!!!

Porked Tongue

So much lack of knowledge posted on this thread.

For starters, Byers didn't even play high school ball as a soph despite being enrolled in high school.  It's a complicated mess.

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
YOU'RE RIGHT

Yes, I know we are correct on costing the school a scholarship in that signing class if a signee doesn't end up qualifying.

ShadowHawg

We have offered grade risks under CBB. Let's quit pretending we haven't and stop being rude to fellow Hog fans.

Pig in the Pokey

i guess since this is a new Byers thread I'll say it again, THE KID WANTS TO PLAY OUT OF STATE. No big deal, guys.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Porked Tongue

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 20, 2016, 08:31:09 pm
We have offered grade risks under CBB. Let's quit pretending we haven't and stop being rude to fellow Hog fans.
There are risks and then there are RISKS.

Let's back the play of our coach and stop being rude to Hog fans that support our coach and his decision on this matter.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 20, 2016, 08:34:01 pm
There are risks and then there are RISKS.

Let's back the play of our coach and stop being rude to Hog fans that support our coach and his decision on this matter.

Who isn't backing the play of the coach here? I just don't like the tone 8 took with another poster AND the fact that he was wrong about grade risks. Dominique Reed was a risk we took. It worked out. The kid from Houston didn't.

I fail to see where I was critical of the staff in stating FACTS.

Porked Tongue

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 20, 2016, 08:44:11 pm

So we are in agreement that I wasn't questioning the staff. I have too much on my plate to have the staff run its' justifications for this and that by me anyway. I trust them to take care of their own business if for no other reason than their livelihoods depend on it.

Being rude to others, I still don't get.

HogBreath

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 20, 2016, 08:40:48 pm

I fail to see .

I can believe that part easy enough.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HamSammich

Erm CBB doesn't have last minute dramas on signing day? Great point....

Water just called you to tell you it's wet.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:03:10 pm

Please keep up - you and MCH have been spending too much time coupled up waiting for bad news.

Sign and Place is not an option when you only get 25 slots, period. It does little except give you a head start. Development at JUCOs is spotty and you do not know whether you'll have a better option in two years.

And, the suggestion about local recruiting is spot-on: once you offer in-state talent you have to honor that unless there is a major publicized problem. Wasting a slot on an academic risk is not prudent in the era of 25-only. Let me be clear: being "iffy" and being "risky" are two different things. "Iffy" means they need to do some work. "Risky" means they are already so far behind that a successful recovery likely gets red-flagged by the NCAA.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2016, 07:07:38 pm

Exactly.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 06:57:34 pm
Well that's based on the assumption that he WILL commit to 'Bama or some other direct opponent. As has been stated before: let Bret and his staff do the job the way their being well paid to do. And THAT has nothing at all to do with "fitting an argument to justify anything". It's called letting those responsible for such do the job they way they see fit.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogNDas on June 20, 2016, 07:22:05 pm
It's just my opinion....no need to get all discombobulated.... We'll let the chips fall where they may, but when the "chickens don't come home to roost"; don't cry to me!!!
No one needs cry to you. You've got the trick on whining, complaining, bitching and moaning down to an exact science. In fact, one could argue you invented the art. 

colbs

The problem with this is signing day is 3 months or so from graduation.  So what do you do with a kid that needs a certain grade at the end of the semester to qualify?  Or still has another shot at the ACT?  Do you pull that scholly?  IMO that could look bad on the staff pulling a scholarship and could make HS coaches or others upset.  On the other hand do you take a chance and hope the kid ends up qualifying?  Then you risk losing a scholarship that class.  I'm sure the staff knows the situation a lot better than you.  I'm sure they know where he stands.