Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris: Coaching the HUNH Offense

Started by UAGolfer1981, December 17, 2017, 10:23:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UAGolfer1981

I stumbled across this older video on CCM's HUNH philosophy.  Quality of the production is not great, but good content. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHj4X5CRIk

Some things that jumped out to me:

1. The players must be in great physical condition.  (They better be ready for wind sprints when they get back on campus.  Year-round conditioning.  This change may take some time to transition from bulky to leaner bodies.) 
2. Limits the # of players that play due to lack of substitution.  (I found that interesting.  This actually may cause our best athletes to play & stay on the field with more touches.  This also favors teams with talented 1st team players, but lack depth).
3. The fans need to be ready for quick 3 & outs and the defense needs to prepare to be on the field for extended periods of time.
4. The new DC needs to embrace the HUNH system as well. (My guess is the new DC and staff will come from a HUNH team.  We fans need to also embrace that HUNH teams rarely shutdown offenses and post shutouts.  But it is not like we shut down many offenses in the past few years anyway)
5. Games will be lengthened.  (This could lead to more time for Petit Jean Meat commercials. It also could mean late game nights :( )

In summary, I am looking forward to this "new" brand of football coming to The Hill.  We lived in Texas and watched Southlake Carroll dominate 5A HS football. It was a brand of football that took a little time to get used to, frustrating at times, but was enjoyable to watch.  Offensively, when clicking was unstoppable and took advantage of creating open space for your best player(s).  Defensively, they took risks and focused on making big plays (sacks, turnovers and 3rd down blitzing to get off the field).

Enjoy the video & thoughts?

Hogs run wild

i'm all for a defense that wants to dictate what happens on the field versus one that reacts.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

rickm1976

Quote from: Hogs run wild on December 17, 2017, 11:14:25 am
i'm all for a defense that wants to dictate what happens on the field versus one that reacts.

I'll second that.

livevanguy

Is there an average game length for HUNH teams? I felt like when we played them under BB that they ran 4+ hours, but that was when half the team played ground and pound/eat the clock. I need to know bc this determines the amount of football-related snacks I need to provide at watch parties.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

UAGolfer1981

Quote from: livevanguy on December 17, 2017, 12:10:54 pm
Is there an average game length for HUNH teams? I felt like when we played them under BB that they ran 4+ hours, but that was when half the team played ground and pound/eat the clock. I need to know bc this determines the amount of football-related snacks I need to provide at watch parties.

I would estimate 20% longer elapsed time.  Judging by games between HUNH teams last year, 4 hours would be a good estimate.

OLEJACKETFAN

CM wants to run 85 Offensive Plays a game. With about a 50/50 mix pass/run.  Should mean way more Clock stops!