Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The sky is not falling.....look at Miss State

Started by Southpointhog, May 18, 2016, 12:18:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Southpointhog

Last year the Bulldogs won just around 10 games and had one of its worst season ever.  This year they are a top 10 team.  Just something to think about.  DVH will get it fixed, it happens!!

ricepig

I have no doubt we will be much improved next year, it still isn't going to be as much fun watching the regionals this year.

jry04

Quote from: Southpointhog on May 18, 2016, 12:18:01 pm
Last year the Bulldogs won just around 10 games and had one of its worst season ever.  This year they are a top 10 team.  Just something to think about.  DVH will get it fixed, it happens!!
Definitely. SC went 13-17 last year and are top 10 as well. Those teams got some major talent to make it to campus, and kept some guys who were on the fence of going pro. Get a few of these top recruits to campus and next year suddenly looks like a very good team. The next few months are huge for this program. We could have a top 15 type team next year, or struggle to make the NCAAT again, all with what happens in the next two months. I personally think our pitching turns it around next year and returns to an elite level that carries us into the NCAAT.

DiamondHogFan

They went 8-22 in conference play.  Just shows you how hard baseball can be on you.  A couple great hitters and 2, preferably 3, consistently reliable starters and you have a good team.  As the poster said above, 4-5 SEC caliber players added to the roster could make a world of difference.

Kevin

Don't care about anyone else. This program should not be in this state. 
I expect a quick turnaround.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on May 18, 2016, 05:55:21 pm

It's called putting everything in perspective.

jry04

If UF, LSU, Vandy, and USC can all miss the NCAAT in the last 8 years, then we certainly can get a pass for it.

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: jry04 on May 18, 2016, 06:11:21 pm
If UF, LSU, Vandy, and USC can all miss the NCAAT in the last 8 years, then we certainly can get a pass for it.
And their programs bounced back.....we have just been fortunate to not have a bad season until this year. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2016, 05:58:52 pm

A quality that is in scarce supply.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: code red on May 18, 2016, 09:45:10 pm
How could it be worse?  Seriously.
In terms of what we are used to out of Arkansas baseball, it couldn't be worse.  The rebound is often just as big as the miss...we will be back in short time.

LJHOG

Honestly where to y'all see the returning talent to reverse this season's results?  Hitting hasn't been too terrible.  Just not very clutch.  Defense is adequate.  Pitching is another matter.  I don't see 3 solid mid-week starters on this staff much less weekend starters.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: LJHOG on May 20, 2016, 03:50:55 pm
Honestly where to y'all see the returning talent to reverse this season's results?  Hitting hasn't been too terrible.  Just not very clutch.  Defense is adequate.  Pitching is another matter.  I don't see 3 solid mid-week starters on this staff much less weekend starters.
Taccolini and McKinney should get things fixed in the offseason and work on perfecting their mechanics instead of rehabbing all offseason like last year.  Campbell, Loseke, and Knight all have loads of talent and an offseason with Jorn could turn them into really good pitchers.

Hard to tell anything about the lineup until after the draft.

Shrevepork

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2016, 05:58:52 pm

A character building season?

Kevin

I hope some guys stay in Fayetteville this summer and work on their game. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Dr. Starcs

ricepig

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/734209601562890240
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HogNDas

Great observation!....THe glass ain't half full, it's brimming over!  CDVH is an awesome coach and a great developer of talent...Heck, he even took NEB to the CWS and they have snow on the ground till March!  The future is BRIGHT!!!    8)    :razorback:

HogNDas

Just goes to show you there is a fine line in the SEC between 1st & worst...  We'll be back, I am confident!!! 

Knot2brite

I fully expect massive changes in the razorback program within the next two months...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Maddhog

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 22, 2016, 01:12:46 pm
I fully expect massive changes in the razorback program within the next two months...

Not sure I want "massive" changes, Knot.   Are you hinting at an overhaul of roster or a coach or two?
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 22, 2016, 01:12:46 pm
I'm curious also.  What do you consider the massive changes to be made?

hawginbigd1

Lots of questions to be answered for sure, worst season I can remember ever for hog baseball! The Draft has hit us hard for years, both with recruits and roster players. It would be simple to just say we must be finally paying the piper for that, but I believe that is just too simple. I think some things need changing, not sure if it is coaching or recruiting or both. 12 years in the NCAA to not a chance in Hades is a pretty big fall.

Knot2brite

rumors....just a lot of rumors floating around...some I believe...some I don't....some I don't know if I believe

Maddhog

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 22, 2016, 03:04:06 pm
rumors....just a lot of rumors floating around...some I believe...some I don't....some I don't know if I believe

Thanks for clarifying ......😜
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Knot2brite

Yeah well I don't like putting out rumors in public...this leads to misinformation...all I will say is that the sumner COULD be eventful ...

Kevin

I don't think there is any doubt lots of players on this year's roster, will not be on next year's roster.

I find it curious that there is very little info on summer plans for the players.

Kenny Buzzhog

If there is one coach on the hill I am not worried about, Its DVH. He WILL get it straightened out & going forward again for sure. & soon.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ROBLYNNM on May 18, 2016, 08:54:39 pm
And their programs bounced back.....we have just been fortunate to not have a bad season until this year.
the question in my mind is can ARK recruit on the same level that UF, VAN, FLA, LSU recruit in baseball?  Sure, those programs bounced back, but those are programs that can pull some serious talent from the HS ranks.  Will DVH and his recruiters be able to do the same? 

ricepig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on May 22, 2016, 08:03:23 pm
the question in my mind is can ARK recruit on the same level that UF, VAN, FLA, LSU recruit in baseball?  Sure, those programs bounced back, but those are programs that can pull some serious talent from the HS ranks.  Will DVH and his recruiters be able to do the same? 

We come close most years, why would you think it would change? Did MS St recruit on their level?

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2016, 08:06:14 pm
We come close most years, why would you think it would change? Did MS St recruit on their level?
OK.  Im glad.  I honestly dont know the answer.  You keep up with it better than I do, so that is why I asked.  Did MSU pull a bunch of HS talent, keep most of them from going to the big leagues and that is why they went from worst to first?  Im not being smart or rhetorical.  I dont know the answer. Im not being critical. 

But if you tell me that ARK most years recruits on par with those programs, then I would think that DVH could get the program back going strong with a recruiting class or two. 

ricepig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on May 22, 2016, 08:35:14 pm
OK.  Im glad.  I honestly dont know the answer.  You keep up with it better than I do, so that is why I asked.  Did MSU pull a bunch of HS talent, keep most of them from going to the big leagues and that is why they went from worst to first?  Im not being smart or rhetorical.  I dont know the answer. Im not being critical. 

But if you tell me that ARK most years recruits on par with those programs, then I would think that DVH could get the program back going strong with a recruiting class or two. 

Here are PG's rankings, we've done as well. Everyone talks about FL getting Florida guys, but Reed, Shore, and Puk were all out of state guys.
http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2016, 08:52:35 pm
Here are PG's rankings, we've done as well. Everyone talks about FL getting Florida guys, but Reed, Shore, and Puk were all out of state guys.
http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx
WOW, #4.  Now thats what Im talking about.  Hope most of these guys will make it to campus.  Thanks ricepig. 

DiamondHogFan

The class 2 years ago with Bonfield, McKinney, Shaddy, etc...was a top 5 class right?  I may be thinking wrong but I thought we had a class recently that some considered #1 or #2 based on the guys we were able to pull away from the draft.  I was thinking it was our core of current Sophomores.

Recruiting rankings don't matter as much right now as they do post-draft.  The ones at the very top will likely drop a few spots due to losing some top recruits to the draft.  Vanderbilt is one that I believe is an exception most years as their academics seem to draw more players to campus, no matter what round they get drafted.  We need to hold on to all 20 that we have currenty committed and we will finish with a top 3-5 class.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1h1 hour ago

Cohen on the SEC teleconference: The difference from worst to first is a blip.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ricepig

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 22, 2016, 03:04:06 pm

Ok, where does Jorn retiring fit in, which category?

Knot2brite

dotnet

The issue is just that some of the recruits haven't panned out, and there aren't obvious reasons why. 

If you look at this year alone - if McKinney, Jackson, taco, and Teague all pitched like we expected them to, then this is probably a tournament team.

This current team has had the following players deal with significant injuries while on campus:  Bonnfield, Shaddy, Spanberger (less significant, but I wonder what this year is like if he doesn't have to sit on the shelf for a month to start it), Taco, Teague (ish), McKinney.  Apart from Eagan and Jackson.. that is the list of planned best players going into this season.

Then, this team has had issues with players unrelated to the draft (like other teams, there is a longer list of drafted players...) the following players that didn't work out:  Benninghoff (so far, only a rs F), Grieshaber, Mark Hammel, Jonah Patten, Nathan Rodriguez, Blake Wiggins, Matt Brown, Corey Campbell, Andrew Kelley, Parker Sanburn,

I know every team has guys who don't work out.. but all of those guys were highly rated by PG

Over a 15 year span, its a shock a year like this hasn't happened sooner. Sometimes things don't work out. 

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on May 22, 2016, 08:03:23 pm
Actually, I think I'm correct (maybe not) in that MSU is basically the same team as last year except for the 3 or 4 Junior College transfers they added that are really helping them. Without the transfers, they could have a similar record as last year. Of course they have the true freshman in Jake Magnum who is hitting .427, but their #2 and #3 hitters are JC-TR's in Nathan Lowe (JC-TR), .359 BA in 217 AB's and their catcher is Jack Kruger(JC-TR) is hitting .358 in 179 AB's and 7 HR's. Their team leader in ERA at 1.76 is a JC transfer with 17 Appearances which is good for tied for 2nd on the team, Ryan Rigby. It doesn't look like they are playing a bunch of freshmen, but Magnum is a huge addition.

Here is their starting lineup from last Saturday and their classes:
Mississippi State Line Up:

RF Jake Mangum B      Freshman
C Jack Kruger R          JR-TR  < < <
1B Nathaniel Lowe L   JR-TR   < < <
3B Gavin Collins R      JR
CF Jacob Robson L      JR-2L
DH Brent Rooker         SO-1L
LF Reid Humphreys R  JR-2L
SS Ryan Gridley R       SO-1L
2B John Holland L       SR_1L

P 48 Konnor Pilkington L  Freshmen

Other Transfer pitchers:
Ryan Rigby, Soph-TR, ERA = 1.76 (leads team), 17 App (tied for 2nd on team).  < < <
Blake Smith, JR-TR , ERA = 3.22 , 17 App (tied for 2nd on team) Team leading Opponents BA = .181 < < <

dotnet

code red

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on May 19, 2016, 08:59:00 am
In terms of what we are used to out of Arkansas baseball, it couldn't be worse.  The rebound is often just as big as the miss...we will be back in short time.
No doubt.  This team just got their dobbers down the last 1/3....no doubt we were better than our record.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou