Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How did DVH get in this situation?

Started by lutherheggs, May 18, 2016, 09:36:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lutherheggs

I do not follow Razorback baseball religiously but do read the articles in the paper after each game. DVH is the kind of coach who does not have bad seasons. This is a shocker, to put it mildly. Horrible pitching along with mediocre offense.

Question is, what is the reason, in a nutshell, for DVH finding his program in this situation this season? Thanks.

Arazorbackguy1

The other teams scored more than we did in half our games. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

thebignasty

I think the offense has been okay. Pitching and fielding haven't been good.  They've caught incredibly few breaks this year too. Stars aligned I guess.

ricepig

Quote from: thebignasty on May 18, 2016, 10:33:33 am
I think the offense has been okay. Pitching and fielding haven't been good.  They've caught incredibly few breaks this year too. Stars aligned I guess.

Batting avg is only .010 lower, and fielding in only .001 lower, however, our ERA is a full run higher at 5.08 vs 4.09.

Hogs33

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 18, 2016, 10:39:18 am
Pitching Pitching Pitching

I think how bad it's been has surprised everyone.
The body language on the mound has been disturbing...

It will get addressed.

I agree with this.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Let's be careful what we say and how we express our thoughts this weekend. We know it stinks, but still let's follow the Hogville and EI rules. Thanks guys and gals. There have been quite a few borderline posts.

thebignasty

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2016, 10:41:36 am
Batting avg is only .010 lower, and fielding in only .001 lower, however, our ERA is a full run higher at 5.08 vs 4.09.

Fielding just seems worse I guess.

jry04

I think it is a combination of things. Some of the pitchers we expected to rely on were coming off major surgeries that ended their seasons last year. They haven't looked the same this season.

Also, we had a lot of errors at 3b, which lead to a lot of unearned runs. I do not think DVH expected Wernes to have the year he had last season and move on to the pros. Wernes did not show many signs of being able to hit consistently in the SEC, so most did not think he was on the draft radar. Throw in the huge jump AB made unexpectedly, and we lost 2 big starters in the field that we were banking on being here for this season, and 3 pitchers that never recovered. I think we are much more prepared going into next season with where everyone stands in the draft.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: jry04 on May 18, 2016, 11:31:21 am
I think it is a combination of things. Some of the pitchers we expected to rely on were coming off major surgeries that ended their seasons last year. They haven't looked the same this season.

Also, we had a lot of errors at 3b, which lead to a lot of unearned runs. I do not think DVH expected Wernes to have the year he had last season and move on to the pros. Wernes did not show many signs of being able to hit consistently in the SEC, so most did not think he was on the draft radar. Throw in the huge jump AB made unexpectedly, and we lost 2 big starters in the field that we were banking on being here for this season, and 3 pitchers that never recovered. I think we are much more prepared going into next season with where everyone stands in the draft.
Makes sense.

ricepig

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on May 18, 2016, 11:08:00 am
Let's be careful what we say and how we express our thoughts this weekend. We know it stinks, but still let's follow the Hogville and EI rules. Thanks guys and gals. There have been quite a few borderline posts.

I don't think calling the pitching, hitting, or fielding less than stellar, much less adequate, is borderline, lol.

Kevin

I think two pitchers have tried to pitch this season not completely healthy (McKinney & Teague)
taco took longer to get back to form after his health situation last year
chadwick barely pitched this year, because of injury
freshmen where either inconsistent, two have shown over the last couple of weeks to be coming on (knight, Campbell) Loeske seems great  one trip through the line up.
the rest of the freshmen struggled
upperclassmen were inconsistent

the pitching never got on solid ground.

this team was seem to miss something chemistry & leadership wise.

looking over the last couple of recruiting classes, a lot of players walked out the door for whatever reason.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

lutherheggs

Thanks for replies...except the silly one about the opponents scoring more runs. One in every crowd, i guess.

As for the reasons, it is a lot to digest. The last comment by Kevin seems to summarize all of the other comments. I will go with that. Seems like reasons/blame is spread out everywhere, from things beyond anyone's control (injuries, drafted players, players who left before eligibility up, etc) to mistakes made in coaching and recruiting by the staff, to players simply not playing as well as they were expected to, which happens.

I will say I would never have bet you that DVH, in his entire coaching career, would have a season like this: .500 overall and bad, losing conference record and the worst loss streak in 50 years.

lstewart

As a more global overview, without getting into so many specific player details... I view us as a program that usually has good, but not elite talent. I have no idea how top college programs end up with good recruits with so many recruits committing, but then signing pro contracts before they get to campus. Be it our stadium not being conducive to hitting home runs, similar limitations to our baseball recruiting base as we hear about for football, other programs having more flash, whatever... we are not generally overflowing with as much talent top to bottom as some of the SEC teams we face. We usually seem to overcome this by being well prepared, and having solid players that play up to their ability level. There's really not a lot of margin for error. So with injuries, or players not coming back as strong after injuries, or just the loss in confidence from losing, these factors can snowball and leave us with a season like this year. Sort of like some very good, but not completely elite football programs that regularly are ranked in the top 15, and always win 9 or more games, but then throw in a 4-8 season. Disappointing, but hopefully we get back on track next year.....

jry04

Quote from: lstewart on May 18, 2016, 02:49:44 pm
As a more global overview, without getting into so many specific player details... I view us as a program that usually has good, but not elite talent. I have no idea how top college programs end up with good recruits with so many recruits committing, but then signing pro contracts before they get to campus. Be it our stadium not being conducive to hitting home runs, similar limitations to our baseball recruiting base as we hear about for football, other programs having more flash, whatever... we are not generally overflowing with as much talent top to bottom as some of the SEC teams we face. We usually seem to overcome this by being well prepared, and having solid players that play up to their ability level. There's really not a lot of margin for error. So with injuries, or players not coming back as strong after injuries, or just the loss in confidence from losing, these factors can snowball and leave us with a season like this year. Sort of like some very good, but not completely elite football programs that regularly are ranked in the top 15, and always win 9 or more games, but then throw in a 4-8 season. Disappointing, but hopefully we get back on track next year.....
I get what you are saying, but we also have had more players drafted over the last like 5 seasons than any other team. We don't get our top draft picks to campus as much as someone like Florida, Vandy, or LSU does, but we have talent. This year was just a tough year. Most years we have a top 10 class. Two years ago we were top 3, this coming class is ranked top 5.

2013 we had 11 draft picks, with 3 being top 3 rounds. In 2014 we had 7 draft picks, with 2 going in the top 4 rounds. Last season we had 4 players drafted. We have had 2 first round picks in the last 3 drafts. That is quite a bit of talent. Unfortunately, this past season we just had a high turnover with an uncharacteristically low ranked recruiting class. Get even half of our top 6-7 recruits in this coming class and we will have a few more kids get drafted in the top 5 rounds in a few years.

lstewart

I'm sure it is related to getting guys to campus that commit to us. Seems like we always lose a lot of talent that never get here. I don't follow baseball close enough to know that impact to other teams, but it does seem like some of the other top SEC programs are always loaded. I can't disagree with statistics, but just have a general perception that we are a very good, but not elite program. Although we usually do have a solid number of draft picks, maybe this is just a fluke year. I'll feel a lot better once we get it turned around for a while, and not having to worry about us slipping longer term......

jry04

Quote from: lstewart on May 18, 2016, 03:19:11 pm
I'm sure it is related to getting guys to campus that commit to us. Seems like we always lose a lot of talent that never get here. I don't follow baseball close enough to know that impact to other teams, but it does seem like some of the other top SEC programs are always loaded. I can't disagree with statistics, but just have a general perception that we are a very good, but not elite program. Although we usually do have a solid number of draft picks, maybe this is just a fluke year. I'll feel a lot better once we get it turned around for a while, and not having to worry about us slipping longer term......
I think it is definitely a fluke year, because we have 14 other seasons that prove it is. However, I do get what you are saying. Even UK had Kyle Cody return despite being a 2nd round draft pick as a junior. We rarely have stuff like that happen. Jackson was expected to be a first round pick, possibly top 10. I bet he still goes high, but probably late first or 2nd round at best after this season. If he only gets paid slot value, then he could come back to school and have a much better year with a more stable pitching staff and make a LOT more money. However, the smart thing to do will be leave and get the money while he can. Other teams are able to convince their players like Jackson to come back and attempt to improve their draft stock, while we encourage them to take the money while they can, rightfully so. Some years we lose our top recruits like Howard and McClure, but other years we get them like Bonfield and McKinney. Hopefully this is one of the good years.

lstewart

Yep, really need to get the top recruits to campus for next season. I will be very surprised if guys currently on the roster that get drafted come back. Although they also probably realize this has been a fluke year, they may be ready to move on and give the pros a shot. We've got a good group of kids, but I doubt if they have had a lot of fun the past couple of months......

lutherheggs

Again, I know less about Razorback baseball than 90% of you posting here but generally speaking, I do not see why the Razorbacks, given their fairly long tradition of success in baseball (back to at least the late '70's), given the quality of the coaching staff, given the quality of the facility as well as the quality of life and education in NWA and at U of A, I see no reason why the Razorbacks should not REGULARLY out-recruit and outperform the following SEC programs, in no particular order:

Vanderbilt
South Carolina
Ole Miss
Miss St
Kentucky
Missouri

The above have nothing on Arkansas...not coaching, not facilities, not quality of life, and not quality of education (other than Vandy).

That leaves the following SEC programs:

Texas A&M
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
LSU
Florida

LSU and Fla, both of which are always very competitive with the Hogs, and for good reasons, and can usually beat the Hogs.
As for the the other 5, which of those have better facilities, better coaches, and/or in a better location than NWA? Further, which of them have a better baseball tradition?  If SC and Miss St and Vandy can create CWS teams regularly, should not Arkansas be able to? What do those programs have that Arkansas does not?

Dr. Starcs

You do know Vandy gets recruiting benefits nobody else in conference does right?

ricepig

Weather, would you rather play in the cold in February, or warmth of some of those other's? We do fine, you seem to be trying to have one down year set your agenda. USCe, Vandy, and LSU have recent NC's, but even they have had down years, we're OK.

hoghappy

We had 2 experienced starters coming into this year. Both struggled a little with giving up hits after getting ahead in the count and with 2 outs. Most of our games were games we could have won if we had t given up big innings because we couldn't get that 3rd one.

Kevin

Ucahog knows more about the recruits, seems we have had a lot of talent leave. 

To have a year, where we really have no reserve middle infielders. Seems strange
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on May 18, 2016, 05:53:04 pm
Ucahog knows more about the recruits, seems we have had a lot of talent leave. 

To have a year, where we really have no reserve middle infielders. Seems strange

What talent left recently that would have played this year?

Kevin

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2016, 05:58:02 pm
What talent left recently that would have played this year?

Like I said uca would know better. 

I know some where high on schwanke, Wiggins, greishiber

PorkRyan

Vanderbilt is killing everyone in recruiting.  They are on another level right now having the top class in 15, #2 in 16, and #1 in 17 and 18.  Part of it is the full ride, but the other part is that every pitcher wants to go play for them and get into their velocity programs.  They are on the cutting edge using a mix of Driveline and Baseball Think Tank.  I think that is an area where we could really improve.     

jry04

Quote from: PorkRyan on May 19, 2016, 01:46:47 pm
Vanderbilt is killing everyone in recruiting.  They are on another level right now having the top class in 15, #2 in 16, and #1 in 17 and 18.  Part of it is the full ride, but the other part is that every pitcher wants to go play for them and get into their velocity programs.  They are on the cutting edge using a mix of Driveline and Baseball Think Tank.  I think that is an area where we could really improve.     
Your last part does have a factor, but I think the full ride part plays a bigger role. They can get as quality of an education as you can get while playing for an elite program with all expenses paid. Their top recruits can go to Vandy without any debt, or come to Arkansas and have student loans to pay back with part of their bonus.

Our class this year is every bit as good as Vandy's, but they definitely have been the best recruiting program the last few years and next few years. They have a much better chance of getting those kids to school, too.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on May 19, 2016, 02:28:00 pm
Your last part does have a factor, but I think the full ride part plays a bigger role. They can get as quality of an education as you can get while playing for an elite program with all expenses paid. Their top recruits can go to Vandy without any debt, or come to Arkansas and have student loans to pay back with part of their bonus.

Our class this year is every bit as good as Vandy's, but they definitely have been the best recruiting program the last few years and next few years. They have a much better chance of getting those kids to school, too.

If your family income is too high, you don't qualify for aid from Vandy, of course, those are the ones who get full athletic scholarships, lol.

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on May 19, 2016, 03:20:28 pm
If your family income is too high, you don't qualify for aid from Vandy, of course, those are the ones who get full athletic scholarships, lol.
LSU and Florida are able to benefit greatly from in-state scholarships, too. There is a reason that those 3 schools usually have the best talent, and have more of their high draft picks return. A lot of these guys qualify for a large portion, or all of their expenses paid. The TOPS program is huge for LSU. They can get the top 5-6 players out of Louisiana, and if they qualify for TOPS they are practically walk-ons. Florida has 2 or 3 in-state scholarships that athletes can qualify for. One of them pays up to 75% of tuition and fees.

Arkansas offers in-state tuition to bordering state residents and also offer lottery scholarships to qualifying Arkansas residents, but that doesn't come close to comparing to what some of these other schools offer.

Pig Papi

Quote from: PorkRyan on May 19, 2016, 01:46:47 pm

Another factor is negotiating leverage.  I had an agent tell me he likes to see kids sign with schools like Vanderbilt and Stanford.  He felt that gives the kid a little leverage when they are being asked to bypass school and sign a professional contract.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on May 19, 2016, 03:42:27 pm
LSU and Florida are able to benefit greatly from in-state scholarships, too. There is a reason that those 3 schools usually have the best talent, and have more of their high draft picks return. A lot of these guys qualify for a large portion, or all of their expenses paid. The TOPS program is huge for LSU. They can get the top 5-6 players out of Louisiana, and if they qualify for TOPS they are practically walk-ons. Florida has 2 or 3 in-state scholarships that athletes can qualify for. One of them pays up to 75% of tuition and fees.

Arkansas offers in-state tuition to bordering state residents and also offer lottery scholarships to qualifying Arkansas residents, but that doesn't come close to comparing to what some of these other schools offer.
You also have to consider the in-state players in Louisiana and Florida too.  Both states, especially Florida, turn out plenty of baseball talent.

Arkansas has some good players, but not enough to sustain the level of excellence we demand.  Our starting lineup tonight featured guys from Wisconsin, Hawaii, and New Jersey.  2 of our starters are from in-state and both of them played at Fayetteville High.

ucahogfan

Quote from: methog on May 19, 2016, 03:45:49 pm
Another factor is negotiating leverage.  I had an agent tell me he likes to see kids sign with schools like Vanderbilt and Stanford.  He felt that gives the kid a little leverage when they are being asked to bypass school and sign a professional contract.
Players that sign with private schools are always mentioned to be tough signs and the private school advantage where most of if not all of your school is paid for is a huge reason why.

PorkRyan

Quote from: methog on May 19, 2016, 03:45:49 pm

good point

swineology

Quote from: lutherheggs on May 18, 2016, 09:36:14 am
I do not follow Razorback baseball religiously but do read the articles in the paper after each game. DVH is the kind of coach who does not have bad seasons. This is a shocker, to put it mildly. Horrible pitching along with mediocre offense.

Question is, what is the reason, in a nutshell, for DVH finding his program in this situation this season? Thanks.

Taccolini and Mckinney

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 19, 2016, 09:01:53 pm
You also have to consider the in-state players in Louisiana and Florida too.  Both states, especially Florida, turn out plenty of baseball talent.

Arkansas has some good players, but not enough to sustain the level of excellence we demand.  Our starting lineup tonight featured guys from Wisconsin, Hawaii, and New Jersey.  2 of our starters are from in-state and both of them played at Fayetteville High.
Definitely. UF doesn't have to leave their state, and many of them have much more than their athletic scholarship offered in financial aid.

jry04

Quote from: swineology on May 19, 2016, 09:52:01 pm
Taccolini and Mckinney
Unfair to place the blame on them, and them alone. We threw multiple guys out there as starters, and all of them struggled. Even to start the year Jackson blew a few leads out of the bullpen, and he is a 1st round talent. Then you get to all of the costly errors we had both in the field and on the base paths...

onebadrubi

We aren't far removed from a stretch of a couple of years of setting a national record for staff ERA, wasn't that 2 seasons ago?  Didn't we set or come damg near it for record low ERA in a season by pitching staff?

Last year we had a very solid staff and above average every where else. We lost multiple 4-8 run leads this year, that will tear a team down emotionally to the point we are at right now. No lead is big enough for Arkansas, to where judtt the past 2-3 years a couple runs and you knew you were done against Arkansas.

Anyone seen was Collin Poche is doing at dallas baptist?  Sure would have been nice to have him this year. 

PurpleHog

Quote from: jry04 on May 20, 2016, 07:26:37 am
Unfair to place the blame on them, and them alone. We threw multiple guys out there as starters, and all of them struggled. Even to start the year Jackson blew a few leads out of the bullpen, and he is a 1st round talent. Then you get to all of the costly errors we had both in the field and on the base paths...

I've wondered all year just how many pitchers we have struggling with health issues? McKinney himself said after one outing that he was able to pitch about 4 innings without his hip tightening up, and Taccolini hasn't been the same since his surgery. Zach Jackson and James Teague both stepped backward this year. Blaine Knight and Isaiah Campbell have been fair as freshman this year, but the rest of the staff has just been awful. No one, outside of those 2, has any control whatsoever. The walks, hit batters, and wild pitches have been really hard to watch.

Benintendi was huge last year. He had a remarkable year on a team that probably overachieved. Couple that with a really fortunate regional draw and getting to host a super against Mo State and you get a slightly above average team getting to the CWS. The bottom line is that last year's team probably wasn't as good as everyone thought, but had decent pitching and the Golden Spikes award winner on it.

DVH thought he had Taco, Teague, and McKinney as starters this year with Zac Jackson as a shut down, all-american closer. If any of those guys struggled, Knight, Campbell, or Rogers would be available as a Sunday starter. Obviously, that didn't come close to working.

Hitting wise, we weren't nearly as bad. Shaddy can flat hit, but strikes out too much and is a defensive liability. Spanberger can hit a ball 400' then strike out 5 times in a game. DVH has yet to find a basher that can actually play defense at 1st base. Bonfield had a solid year. Everybody else was okay with the exception of maybe Scroggins who is just young.

jry04

Quote from: PurpleHog on May 20, 2016, 09:20:38 am
I've wondered all year just how many pitchers we have struggling with health issues? McKinney himself said after one outing that he was able to pitch about 4 innings without his hip tightening up, and Taccolini hasn't been the same since his surgery. Zach Jackson and James Teague both stepped backward this year. Blaine Knight and Isaiah Campbell have been fair as freshman this year, but the rest of the staff has just been awful. No one, outside of those 2, has any control whatsoever. The walks, hit batters, and wild pitches have been really hard to watch.

Benintendi was huge last year. He had a remarkable year on a team that probably overachieved. Couple that with a really fortunate regional draw and getting to host a super against Mo State and you get a slightly above average team getting to the CWS. The bottom line is that last year's team probably wasn't as good as everyone thought, but had decent pitching and the Golden Spikes award winner on it.

DVH thought he had Taco, Teague, and McKinney as starters this year with Zac Jackson as a shut down, all-american closer. If any of those guys struggled, Knight, Campbell, or Rogers would be available as a Sunday starter. Obviously, that didn't come close to working.

Hitting wise, we weren't nearly as bad. Shaddy can flat hit, but strikes out too much and is a defensive liability. Spanberger can hit a ball 400' then strike out 5 times in a game. DVH has yet to find a basher that can actually play defense at 1st base. Bonfield had a solid year. Everybody else was okay with the exception of maybe Scroggins who is just young.
Agreed. Eagan was pretty consistent at hitting the ball this year, too.

I think Koch is going to be a big time player for us.

ricepig

It may be over simplified, but it's been the pitching. If the starters imploded and gave up 4-5 early, the bullpen usually did well and we rallied to lose 6-5. If the starters did well, 2-3 runs, the bullpen would blow the save. I don't think DVH is a drinking man, but I could easily see why he could be. How do you figure out a rotation when you have absolutely no idea how the next guy you trot out there is going to pitch??

jb11

This is what I have noticed:

Our outfield is not fast enough to be able to run down balls hit in the gaps.  They also have below average arms to keep guys from advancing extra bases.  I can't count how many runs we allowed just by being one or two steps away from a ball.

The infield corners had a lot of miscues especially at third with guys playing there that normally would not have (Shaddy and Eagan).  Shaddy would make a great play every now and then, but just seemed uncomfortable there especially with short rollers.  He just didn't have the arm strength needed. Maybe it can get stronger as he continues to heal from TJ surgery.  I believe we took a big step back not having Eagan play 1st fulltime.  There were multiple balls not picked when Eagan was not over there.

I have no issues with the middle of the infield or behind the plate.  I can't imagine how many more runs we would have given up if it weren't for Pennell.

The pitching staff just had a lot of bad luck.  We were relying on three guys to carry the load that all had injuries at the end of last year and I believe weren't totally healthy this year or not mentally healed from their injuries.  Then we were having to throw guys out there before they were ready to carry that big of a role.

What I saw was the lack of mental toughness from our team.  The pitchers seemed to not be able to respond and get out of the jams caused by the lack of our defense not making a play either with an error or just not being able to get to a ball due to having to play out of position.  Also the walks led to the big innings far too often.  Also, we just didn't seem to put pressure on the other team with small ball and smart base running.  We did very well the first part of the year with timely hits, but as the year went along it just dried up.

That is what I saw on the defensive side that cost us 10-15 games this year.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: swineology on May 19, 2016, 09:52:01 pm
Taccolini and Mckinney
In a nutshell, yes.
Those two guys just weren't the same this year after their injuries.
I was really impressed with McKinney last year as a true frosh and was very excited about him this year.
Makes one wonder if they'll return to form next year, either.

Offensively, I thought we more than good enough. Compared to 2013, when we either won or lost every game by 2-1 or 1-0, this year's offense is light years ahead of that bunch.

LA Football fan

We got here with weak starting pitching across the board.  Taco has very good stuff but is very erratic.  When he is on he is as good as anyone in baseball, the problem is that when he is off he cannot hit the broadside of a barn.  Would give us 2-3 great innings and then melt down and give up a big inning.  McKinney just doesn't have the velocity and pitch movement after the injury.  Hopefully this offseason gives him a chance to heal some more and get stronger.   Zach was never a starting pitcher but was forced there due to the ineffectiveness of our younger pitchers early.   Zach would just wear himself out throwing so many pitches and finally the walks would catch up with him when he did finally give up a hit or two.   That left us with having to throw some new pitchers that just weren't ready for the grind of pitching to SEC hitters.  DVH has got to get back to having a couple of flame throwers on staff.  Almost every team we faced in the SEC has at least a couple or more pitchers that could hit 94-95 consistently on the gun.  I am not sure we even had one pitcher that could consistently hit 94-95.

I will say that I think Campbell is going to be a force the next couple of years so his development this year is the one bright spot from a pretty dismal overall pitching performance.  A couple others could develop into reliable arms also but to me we just don't have that dominant friday night starter you need to compete in this league right now.