Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thank you, Luke Bonfield

Started by WilsonHog, May 08, 2016, 09:57:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"It must be fun watching from the stands, huh?"

As disappointing as this season has been, no reason you have to put up with idiot fans, too.

jacobp

Good for him. Really sad when grown ass adults start harassing 18-22 year old kids on the internet

hoghappy

rhog1

Why would anyone say anything negative to Bonfield? He is one of the most improved players on the team. I am sure the players hate losing a whole lot more than we hate watching them lose. It makes no sense to trash talk any of them.

JHicks3636

Brilliant, screw with the best players on the team that will be making a decision about leaving after the season.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 08, 2016, 11:52:08 pm
Brilliant, screw with the best players on the team that will be making a decision about leaving after the season.

Never fails.

Ironhawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 08, 2016, 09:57:39 pm
"It must be fun watching from the stands, huh?"

As disappointing as this season has been, no reason you have to put up with idiot fans, too.

????  I am guessing this is some kind of Twitter thing? 

HogNDas

No player should have to endure this type fan behavior from one of our own!...disgusting!

RME

jacobp

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on May 09, 2016, 08:59:17 am

In a nutshell just some people
Venting on Twitter who decided to direct some of it at players.

Bonfield probably shouldn't have engaged, but what he tweeted was pretty mild. Ended with some jerk tweeting pictures of their season ticket book which I guess gives them the right to rip anyone they please. Including our best hitter who is draft eligible

RME

Quote from: jacobp on May 09, 2016, 09:06:33 am

Bonfield probably shouldn't have engaged, but what he tweeted was pretty mild. Ended with some jerk tweeting pictures of their season ticket book which I guess gives them the right to rip anyone they please. Including our best hitter who is draft eligible

Ah okay yeah, I just looked at Bonfield's Twitter and saw it. "The Arkansas Logo" Twitter account that tweeted that picture usually posts some good/funny stuff, but that one was pretty stupid.

https://twitter.com/Arkansas_Logo/status/729468438976958464

https://twitter.com/luke_bonfield/status/729485038014767104

jry04

To be fair, Bonfield actually initiated the back and forth. Nobody actually tweeted at Bonfield first.

A pretty popular account called "The Arkansas Logo" tweeted a picture with a bunch of crying Michael Jordan faces on Razorback baseball fans. Bonfield saw the tweet, and said the quote Wilson posted. Then a few fans said it wasn't a good idea to go after the fans, and other fans said we love you and appreciate the effort on the field. A couple went after Bonfield, but many defended him. Unfortunately, we have a lot of stupid fans who like to tweet @ current players, or the Razorback account. After every tweet updating the score from the official Razorback twitter yesterday, this same high school kid would tweet out something along the lines of "we might as well not play another game all year", or "why do you keep tweeting stuff when we suck." I just never get why people think that is a good idea.

Ironhawg

This is just sad.  Those kids are doing their best and are less happy with the results than fans ever thought about being.  Just let them be.

jbell96

I can bet everyone trash talking him has never stepped on a baseball field, and if they have, they weren't any good. He's been our best offensive player this year and it is crap like this that can make a difference in guys staying or leaving, especially if they are on the fence about it.

Those guys are playing hard, but they've just had zero luck this year. Our frustration as fans pale in comparison to what the team feels.

knoxvillehog

Twitter is great and awful at the same time. Hopefully our players know there are idiots out there and there is nothing you will do to change it.

DOGALUM

Idiot fans have always been around and always will be.   I've got no problem with fans venting as long as they aren't calling out anyone  specific.  Hell....I'm disappointed in the season we are having.  We did get swept by LSU and we likely will not be dancing.   

Players have to have thicker skin than to respond.   Especially with the "I play, you don't, so you have no right to voice an opinion" theme.   That one never goes over well. 

My point is that it's a lot more realistic for coaches to keep their players social media takes in line than it is to keep countless numbers of anonymous fans in line.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

ricepig

Quote from: jbell96 on May 09, 2016, 09:43:29 am
I can bet everyone trash talking him has never stepped on a baseball field, and if they have, they weren't any good. He's been our best offensive player this year and it is crap like this that can make a difference in guys staying or leaving, especially if they are on the fence about it.

Those guys are playing hard, but they've just had zero luck this year. Our frustration as fans pale in comparison to what the team feels.

I doubt this tweet will have much factor in his decision on entering the draft or staying. I suspect the players are just as frustrated as the fans, probably much much more.

jbell96

Quote from: ricepig on May 09, 2016, 10:33:52 am
I doubt this tweet will have much factor in his decision on entering the draft or staying. I suspect the players are just as frustrated as the fans, probably much much more.

I agree, just saying it's really dumb for fans that don't know crap about baseball, to talk crap to one of our few bright spots.

ricepig

Quote from: jbell96 on May 09, 2016, 10:40:11 am
I agree, just saying it's really dumb for fans that don't know crap about baseball, to talk crap to one of our few bright spots.

Oh, no doubt, I follow several of the university's Instagram accounts, I'm always amazed and horrified on what somebody will type after a posted picture, lol.

Ironhawg

Quote from: ricepig on May 09, 2016, 10:45:51 am
Oh, no doubt, I follow several of the university's Instagram accounts, I'm always amazed and horrified on what somebody will type after a posted picture, lol.

I have to be honest, I tried Twitter a couple of times and I just don't get it.  That being said, I can't ever see trashing these kids that wear Arkansas on their chest and in their hearts.

ricepig

Quote from: Ironhawg on May 09, 2016, 12:17:44 pm
I have to be honest, I tried Twitter a couple of times and I just don't get it.  That being said, I can't ever see trashing these kids that wear Arkansas on their chest and in their hearts.

I don't follow any of the players, just the coaches, official university accounts, and the various beat writers. It usually keeps one up to date on the latest goings on.

3kgthog

Here's a tip to all players: Stay off social media.

Problem solved.

pigture perfect

I'd like to buy the kid a pizza, and just try to encourage him to stay.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

RME

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 09, 2016, 12:42:40 pm
Here's a tip to all players: Stay off social media.

Problem solved.

Or let players have social media, and rather discourage 40 year old "adults" from taking stupid shots at 18-22 year olds.

This was some brave Twitter user's response to Bonfield: https://twitter.com/razorbacks_roxy/status/729488208694632448

No, not all fans are like that, obviously. But don't get upset with the players for using social media. Get upset with morons like Razorbacks Roxy.

I have no problem with Bonfield showing frustration through Twitter. He knows it's been a tough season, and when people pile on, you're gonna get frustrated. Way to go, Roxy, calling arguably the best player on the team a "smartass" and flashing your season tickets at him.

And, taking the higher road, Bonfield has deleted all of his tweets associated with this deal.

jry04

That Roxy lately tweeted like 5 times at Luke mouthing him. She asked fans if anyone wanted her tickets because of Luke Bonfield's tweet, and linked him to her tweets. She seems like a complete B....

Kevin

seems like tweeter needs our baseball forum moderator
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

code red

When your losing.....like this team is losing....your going to be exposed to this stuff.  That is reality.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DOGALUM

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on May 09, 2016, 12:54:51 pm
Or let players have social media, and rather discourage 40 year old "adults" from taking stupid shots at 18-22 year olds.

This was some brave Twitter user's response to Bonfield: https://twitter.com/razorbacks_roxy/status/729488208694632448

No, not all fans are like that, obviously. But don't get upset with the players for using social media. Get upset with morons like Razorbacks Roxy.

I have no problem with Bonfield showing frustration through Twitter. He knows it's been a tough season, and when people pile on, you're gonna get frustrated. Way to go, Roxy, calling arguably the best player on the team a "smartass" and flashing your season tickets at him.

And, taking the higher road, Bonfield has deleted all of his tweets associated with this deal.
That's as it should be.  He either did it on his own, or DVH "suggested" he delete them. 

I'm not justifying fans being mouthy, simply pointing out that it is impossible to police the twitter activity of the general public but it is very possible to police the twitter activity of the team.  A war between players and a few fans only huts the program.   Whether or not it is right to keep the players off social media, that's about the only way to avoid this kind of thing.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

southarkhog06

Quote from: code red on May 09, 2016, 01:39:19 pm
When your losing.....like this team is losing....your going to be exposed to this stuff.  That is reality.
yep reality is that people are toolbags. agreed.

AugustaHog

Yep, if any Razorback team deserves a little slack it is our top 10 caliber baseball program.  This is an aberration of a season and I have complete faith that DVH will have them back and improved next year.  Sure it stinks that we are really struggling, but there's no reason to turn on the kids representing our state and university.

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: jry04 on May 09, 2016, 01:00:35 pm
That Roxy lately tweeted like 5 times at Luke mouthing him. She asked fans if anyone wanted her tickets because of Luke Bonfield's tweet, and linked him to her tweets. She seems like a complete B....
She wasn't very smart posting a picture of her tickets with section, row and seat number.  Thank the good lord she is NOT in my section.  So thankful for the good group of people that sit around my family. 

AirForceHog

Just sad how fans can turn on players like that.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

TeufelHog

#1 - Bonfield's solution is to quit whining and win on the field.  No need to respond to fans on social media.
#2 - WRT decisions for players who are "draft eligible" . . . how's that working out for Benintendi?  Best player in college baseball last year . . . and still in the minors.  You gotta be crazy to leave college early for professional baseball.  Plain crazy.

jacobp

Quote from: TeufelHog on May 09, 2016, 08:10:45 pm
#1 - Bonfield's solution is to quit whining and win on the field.  No need to respond to fans on social media.
#2 - WRT decisions for players who are "draft eligible" . . . how's that working out for Benintendi?  Best player in college baseball last year . . . and still in the minors.  You gotta be crazy to leave college early for professional baseball.  Plain crazy.
Even if I was willing to cede your first point, the second is so asinine that it's either a troll post or just simply the dumbest thing I've read in a week

BigBrandonAllenFan

:razorback: Go Luke Bonfield!!  :razorback: Go Hogs!!  :razorback:

jry04

I pray that you just do not understand how baseball works with #2. That may be the dumbest thing I have EVER read on here. I bet AB hates being a millionaire.

bulldog04

Quote from: jry04 on May 09, 2016, 10:06:42 pm
I pray that you just do not understand how baseball works with #2. That may be the dumbest thing I have EVER read on here. I bet AB hates being a millionaire.
C'mon jry you know the best baseball players go straight to majors without spending anytime in the minors.  I couldn't even type that without laughing while thinking of that post.

jry04

Quote from: bulldog04 on May 10, 2016, 06:02:40 am
C'mon jry you know the best baseball players go straight to majors without spending anytime in the minors.  I couldn't even type that without laughing while thinking of that post.
We can expect AB to retire any day now. What a fail of a career he had. SHOULD HAVE CAME BACK

90% of players with aspirations of playing professional ball leave early to maximize their earnings. It is usually the stupid decision to come back to school, but that poster clearly doesn't understand how it works.

jbell96

I think we have a winner for dumbest post on Hogville this year & that is really saying something.

RME

You've already been taken care of by the other knowledgeable posters in here, but I'll go ahead and add some.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/367083-age-to-reason-the-mlb-players-average-age

"The average age of an MLB player is 27.2: 27.0 for the AL, and 27.4 for the NL. So it seems that players spend roughly four years in the minors and then need about three or four more years to prove themselves one of the games elite players, should they have the talent to do so."

Knot2brite

That post was....just....uh ...I really do not know where to go with that....AB is about a year and a half from being in the show..there are not many Wil Clarks in the baseball world anymore....that minor league stuff is for losers ...yikes
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

TeufelHog

May 10, 2016, 06:57:08 pm #41 Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:48:13 pm by TeufelHog
OK, for all of you "knuckle-draggers" that are missing my point . . . for those "draft eligibles" considering leaving early they better realize how fierce the competition is EVEN IN THE MINORS.  THE BEST player in college baseball last year is doing his penance waiting for/earning his shot.  SURE he is making the big bucks, BUT he is the exception - not the rule.  We don't have any players on our current roster that can hold Benintendi's jock-strap . . . they should weigh their decision appropriately with a HEAVY-DOSE of realistic expectations.  How many college players are there?  How many minor league teams are there?  How many players on each minor teams roster?  How many never make it out of the minors?  IS IT WORTH YOUR FINAL YEARS OF COLLEGE DEVELOPMENT/MEMORIES?  . . . and OBTW, there is a fresh crop of prospects, who are just as talented, coming out of the NCAA every year.  Trust me when I say, the minors/major league are/is not going anywhere.  Get the insurance if you're so full of yourself that you think you're "that good" and you're worried about injury.

TNhawgfan

Players should stay away from twitter, hogville, etc. after bad losses. Doesn't excuse the idiots, but what do they expect? Social media is nothing but blow hards and internet though guys anymore
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

RME

May 10, 2016, 08:04:27 pm #43 Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:49:20 am by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: TeufelHog on May 10, 2016, 06:57:08 pm
OK, for all of you "knuckle-draggers" that are missing my point . . . for those "draft eligibles" considering leaving early they better realize how fierce the competition is EVEN IN THE MINORS.  THE BEST player in college baseball last year is doing his penance waiting for/earning his shot.  SURE he is making the big bucks, BUT he is the exception - not the rule.  We don't have any players on our current roster that can hold Benintendi's jock-strap . . . they should weigh their decision appropriately with a HEAVY-DOSE of realistic expectations.  How many college players are there?  How many minor league teams are there?  How many players on each minor teams roster?  How many never make it out of the minors?  IS IT WORTH YOUR FINAL YEARS OF COLLEGE DEVELOPMENT/MEMORIES?  . . . and OBTW, there is a fresh crop of prospects, who are just as talented, coming out of the NCAA every year.  Trust me when I say, the minors/major league are/is not going anywhere.  Get the insurance if you're so full of yourself that you think you're "that good" and you're worried about injury.

You do realize that what you're saying is already done by these guys choosing to attend college in the first place, right?

Do you realize how many Arkansas signees have been drafted out of high school but opted to come to Arkansas instead and play for a couple years to increase their draft stock? Benintendi is one among countless that have done that. Drafted in the 31st round in 2013, came to Arkansas for a couple years and became a first rounder.

Staying an extra year in college to play baseball is nothing like staying an extra year to go to the NFL. The "extra years" that college baseball players stay are those years that he is in college to begin with. I'm positive these guys "realize how fierce the competition is," which is why they come to college in the first place. To get better AND to increase their stock.

Ficociello - 23rd round in 2010, came to Arkansas, 12th round in 2013.
Stanek - 3rd round in 2010, came to Arkansas, 1st round in 2013.
Eibner - 4th round in 2007, came to Arkansas 2nd round in 2010.
These are 3 of countless examples.

Kevin

If you get drafted in a position of getting a sizable signing bonus you should probably go.

If not, stay in school. Lots of player with college eligibility left, go pro last one summer, and are done.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Again, nothing you say makes any sense with regards to the MLB draft. I certainly hope you are nowhere near any athletes in any position to get drafted. The odds of making the MLB are so low as it is, that if you get drafted and have a chance to make 500k+ in signing bonuses, it is probably a good idea to go and give it a shot and finish your degree on the MLB club's dime in a few years. For Bonfield, unless he is drafted in the top 5 round, he should definitely come back. However, after next season, Bonfield needs to leave no matter what. Jackson will be advised to leave no matter what. Why? Because he can make 6, possibly 7 figures with a signing bonus this year, but if he returns his signing bonus will fall drastically because a  team will say "take our offer or don't play baseball." A kid could be offered 400k to sign one year, and 50k the next year just because he is a senior and has no choice but to take the offer.

southarkhog06

If you are going to double down on a point, and add insults, you really should try to not be so utterly and aggressively wrong. Also lay off the capslock.

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on May 11, 2016, 07:40:48 am
If you get drafted in a position of getting a sizable signing bonus you should probably go.

If not, stay in school. Lots of player with college eligibility left, go pro last one summer, and are done.

Lots of high school kids sign for less than they could get after a few years in college, but in their mind, the clock is ticking. Kids/players make bad decisions all the time, hopefully they're savvy enough to get their college paid for if they are coming out of high school. The ones leaving college weren't in most cases, getting more than a 1/3-1/2 of their tuition anyway.