Previous topic - Next topic

Buff

1. Knight is going to be a star.

Kevin

Quote from: Buff on May 08, 2016, 12:02:12 am

Sure looks like it.
I think Campbell and loeske have a chance also
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HognitiveDissonance

This is a game that is so ridiculous...so mind-boggingly bad...that you just have to laugh.

Where in the world did this season come from?

How could a team start so strong...8-0 with three great wins in Houston...and look so inept now?

I can't explain it at all.

Van Horn must be pulling his hair out.

It all starts with a meltdown in starting pitching mid-season but it's turned into more than that. Now we can't play defense, etc

BroyledNutts

If he can stay healthy Campbell seems to have that secret "it" factor

Knight is developing consistency - which is all he's really missing

Knot2brite

Bonfield and Shaddy are going to be really good for us if they stay next year. Cole is starting to come around and he has potential to be really good. Scroggins is starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel at the plate.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Kevin

I hope the ninth does not kill scroggins.  I really believe he has a chance also
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Kevin on May 08, 2016, 12:08:21 am
I hope the ninth does not kill scroggins.  I really believe he has a chance also

the thing I liked out of the error was how pissed he was after the second E - being PO'd about it shows me he's not just shrugging it off - he's learning...I don't consider the other play an E ... even if he got to that ball he wasn't going to throw the guy out at first

Knot2brite

Scroggins will be fine...he learned a tough lesson tonight...but if it doesn't mess up his confidence then he should be fine

WilsonHog

Bad seasons happen. We've enjoyed 14 pretty good ones, so I'm not going to overreact over one like this. DVH has gotten us there before, and he will again.

I see no need to get all panicky, even though that seems to be the currency of the message board crowd.

the10mann

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 08, 2016, 12:16:27 am
Bad seasons happen. We've enjoyed 14 pretty good ones, so I'm not going to overreact over one like this. DVH has gotten us there before, and he will again.

I see no need to get all panicky, even though that seems to be the currency of the message board crowd.

What is being said?  I am honestly confused.  Though I'm not privy to all of the content (since content is being deleted), is anyone being disrespectful?  Of course DVH is awesome.  Of course there are tons of bright spots -- Knight being the brightest.   Scroggins was doing well before the back-to-back errors, too.  I'm just having a hard time following some of the threads because pieces are missing.

Tejano Jawg

Pretty amazing talent. And a freshman...crazy. Loved all the strikeouts with the batter looking.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Knot2brite

no one is calling for DVH's head....but I did expect better baseball than what we have been seeing doe the last six weeks....it happens...but the standard is set and when you build a monster you have to feed it...the monster has been fed well for 14 years under DVH and will be again...it just seems we aren't used to seeing baseball being played this fundamentally bad

WilsonHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 08, 2016, 12:25:44 am
no one is calling for DVH's head....but I did expect better baseball than what we have been seeing doe the last six weeks....it happens...but the standard is set and when you build a monster you have to feed it...the monster has been fed well for 14 years under DVH and will be again...it just seems we aren't used to seeing baseball being played this fundamentally bad

I certainly expected better baseball, based on what we've enjoyed the last 14 years. Just didn't happen, for various reasons. I'm confident DVH will get it fixed in the offseason.

Knot2brite

I am also sure things will get better. I also expect some changes but then again every season brings changes. I just hope some of these bright spots stick around to be a part of the positive change

TikiHog

with a opening at Texas coming soon I just hope DVH is here to turn it around

billmontgomery10

One bright spot is we will have a shortstop next year who can actually throw it all the way to first base in the air. Clark Eagan has been magnificent this year digging awful throws out of the dirt.

Dr. Starcs

The season is that much closer to being over.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on May 08, 2016, 07:51:28 am
One bright spot is we will have a shortstop next year who can actually throw it all the way to first base in the air. Clark Eagan has been magnificent this year digging awful throws out of the dirt.
Will said ss also not swing for the fence everytime popping up 2 out of every 4 abs?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

3kgthog

Quote from: TikiHog on May 08, 2016, 12:36:44 am
with a opening at Texas coming soon I just hope DVH is here to turn it around

You cannot be serious. A former Hog at his alma mater (which features the best facilities in college baseball) living in a town where his wife designed and built their dream home and you think he'd leave for the Evil Orange Empire? No chance. Zero. None.

hogman64

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on May 08, 2016, 07:51:28 am

we have one now who CAN do that but his arm and feet mechanics are so terrible he is  totally inconsistent on his throws..........how does a guy get this far as a middle infielder and throw like Bernal does, hard to understand.

toxichog

I to believe DVH will have us back to being competitive ......probably next year........but you can bet it will be with a lot of names that are not even on the campus right now.........

TikiHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 08, 2016, 09:19:53 am
You cannot be serious. A former Hog at his alma mater (which features the best facilities in college baseball) living in a town where his wife designed and built their dream home and you think he'd leave for the Evil Orange Empire? No chance. Zero. None.

well you have to remember he only played 1 year here so its not like he was here 4 years...DVH makes around 700,000 and word on the street has it Texas is willing to spend 1.5 million on him..
so the question is he's on the back side of his coaching career so does he take the money...one thing I know is we cant match Texas when its comes to the money....I hope he stays but be prepared in the off season for this to get into a bidding war....Also never ever say never

JHicks3636

Quote from: toxichog on May 08, 2016, 09:31:51 am
I to believe DVH will have us back to being competitive ......probably next year........but you can bet it will be with a lot of names that are not even on the campus right now.........

If Bonfield and Shaddy leave early, I could see us starting as few as one or two position players next year from this roster. I then see wholesale pitching changes. You will need a game program next year to identify the players.

DZ

Quote from: TikiHog on May 08, 2016, 09:38:46 am
well you have to remember he only played 1 year here so its not like he was here 4 years...DVH makes around 700,000 and word on the street has it Texas is willing to spend 1.5 million on him..
so the question is he's on the back side of his coaching career so does he take the money...one thing I know is we cant match Texas when its comes to the money....I hope he stays but be prepared in the off season for this to get into a bidding war....Also never ever say never
why wouldnt texas go after tim corbin or kevin o'sullivan?

ucahogfan

Quote from: DZ on May 08, 2016, 10:48:35 am
why wouldnt texas go after tim corbin or kevin o'sullivan?
Corbin has the ability to give his entire team full-rides at Vandy because it is a private institution and O'Sullivan is at Florida.  Neither one will leave.  I don't think DVH will leave either, but I could see Texas go after either him or Schlossnagle at TCU.

ucahogfan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 08, 2016, 09:40:42 am
If Bonfield and Shaddy leave early, I could see us starting as few as one or two position players next year from this roster. I then see wholesale pitching changes. You will need a game program next year to identify the players.
Yeah, it would be huge to get both Bonfield and Shaddy back next year.  I think we could get Eagan back next year as well.  I could also see DVH starting a bunch of new players (both freshmen and JUCOs) on the field next year.

WilsonHog

He turned down the A&M job when the Aggies hired Rob Childress. Out of hand; no interest, in such a way that JFB lauded him for not using it to seek a raise for himself.

BroyledNutts

I don't think DVH is going anywhere ... He's got it pretty cushy right here. He doesn't react well to criticism, and he'd get a whole lot of it in Texas - no one dares to open their mouths here...even in the rare case its warranted.

It would not surprise me, however, if Dave Jorn announced his retirement. It's gonna happen some time - and if I were him I'd rather go out on a high than a low - but after a season like this when much of the problem was the pitching staff and its performance, it has to be dancing around in the back of his head. If he's coaching next year, great - if he's not, I understand.

I expect wholesale changes up and down the line-up next season. I just hope we're not entering a phase of perpetual rebuilding like the basketball program suffers, and the football program seems to have every other year.

This season should make playing the yearly off season transfer game more interesting.

TNhawgfan

Baseball won't take as long to rebuild as basketball due to leadership, recruiting, and coaching
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Knot2brite

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 08, 2016, 03:06:40 pm
I don't think DVH is going anywhere ... He's got it pretty cushy right here. He doesn't react well to criticism, and he'd get a whole lot of it in Texas - no one dares to open their mouths here...even in the rare case its warranted.

It would not surprise me, however, if Dave Jorn announced his retirement. It's gonna happen some time - and if I were him I'd rather go out on a high than a low - but after a season like this when much of the problem was the pitching staff and its performance, it has to be dancing around in the back of his head. If he's coaching next year, great - if he's not, I understand.

I expect wholesale changes up and down the line-up next season. I just hope we're not entering a phase of perpetual rebuilding like the basketball program suffers, and the football program seems to have every other year.

This season should make playing the yearly off season transfer game more interesting.
I mentioned in a previous thread that I always assumed that Vitello was hired to replace Jorn when he left or wasn't coaching here anymore. All of that may change if Mizzou fires/retires their coach. Mizzou is Vitello's job to lose and if that comes into play then we will be replacing him and if Jorn does decide to retire ( he won't be fired officially) then we may be replacing our entire paid assistant staff

hawginbigd1

What is the reality for this current team, keeps coming into my mind? Is it what we have seen all this season mostly, or is it what we saw in the last 25 games last year to end the season? At this point I am starting to lean heavily on what we have seen all this year, and half of last year that pitching talent is not what we/I have believed it to be.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 08, 2016, 09:40:42 am

Don't really see the wholesale pitching changes, weekend rotation could easily be
Knight
McKinney
Campbell/one of the freshman lefties/ or a new guy next year

That's not even counting juniors coming back.
We have good young arms, they just didn't need to be thrown in the fire but had to be this year.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 08, 2016, 12:11:27 am
the thing I liked out of the error was how pissed he was after the second E - being PO'd about it shows me he's not just shrugging it off - he's learning...I don't consider the other play an E ... even if he got to that ball he wasn't going to throw the guy out at first

I hope I'm wrong, and would love to go back and see it again, but I didn't take it that way. I saw wide eyes and breathing hard like he was nervous and freaking out. Like the moment was too big for him.

I feel like he would be more comfortable at 2B more time to react.

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 08, 2016, 11:07:47 am
Corbin has the ability to give his entire team full-rides at Vandy because it is a private institution and O'Sullivan is at Florida.  Neither one will leave.  I don't think DVH will leave either, but I could see Texas go after either him or Schlossnagle at TCU.
The experts tend to think O'Sullivan is defintely leaving soon. UF does not care about baseball, despite being a power. They refuse to renovate or add better facilities. Their fans also never show up. Rogers and Fitt have both said multiple times that they believe O'Sullivan leaves, and probably for Texas.

TikiHog

I'm just saying Texas will offer DVH and they will offer more then we do and when I say more then we do I'm saying 500,000+ more....I hope he doesnt take it but if he does I wouldnt blame him...those of you that ask Rogers and Fitt questions ask them if they think Texas comes after DVH hard

BroyledNutts

Quote from: TikiHog on May 08, 2016, 11:36:33 pm
I'm just saying Texas will offer DVH and they will offer more then we do and when I say more then we do I'm saying 500,000+ more....I hope he doesnt take it but if he does I wouldnt blame him...those of you that ask Rogers and Fitt questions ask them if they think Texas comes after DVH hard

Just for giggles, let's run with that scenario ... DVH leaves for Texas ... I'd be running, flying, swimming, crawling to Gainesville with an offer for O'Sullivan ... the guy is a National Champion coach just waiting to happen. Imagine him here with this fan base ... and all those ties to potential Florida talent ...

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 09, 2016, 12:45:05 am
Just for giggles, let's run with that scenario ... DVH leaves for Texas ... I'd be running, flying, swimming, crawling to Gainesville with an offer for O'Sullivan ... the guy is a National Champion coach just waiting to happen. Imagine him here with this fan base ... and all those ties to potential Florida talent ...

The guy doesn't have to leave his backyard for recruits. He ain't coming to Arkansas.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on May 09, 2016, 01:02:10 am
The guy doesn't have to leave his backyard for recruits. He ain't coming to Arkansas.

Thanks ...  FYI, that was a hypothetical scenario based on TikiHog's and jry04's previous comments.

Big Nasty 34

Cost of living is much cheaper in Fayetteville compared to Austin for what it's worth.

Ironhawg

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 08, 2016, 11:07:47 am

So Title IX doesn't apply to Vandy because it is a private institution?  That is a ridiculous advantage in baseball.

JackMcQueen

2. Cody Scroggins will be a solid third baseman. If his bat can get going I have no doubt he'll be the next best guy at the hot corner in the SEC.
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

rickfahr

I couldn't wait for this season because I thought we had a good mix on offense. Pitching never worried me because it's always good. Oops.

Looking at the roster, if the guys who need to stay do stay, we will have a heckuva team next year, and there is no coach I'd rather have than DVH leading it.

Any chance he could coach the basketball team, too?

Knot2brite

First .....DVH isn't going to Texas ...he has a bird's nest on the ground and he has established deep roots here...he has also continued building a monster that Norm left him...it just isn't foreseeable ....but I have been wrong before....once.

Second...IF DVH was to leave....this is a job that many many many coaches would love to have...recruiting isn't easy but amazingly we have been able to get above quality players to come here...faculties are top notch and the fan base, although some are knuckle dragging crayon chewing morons, have proved that when we built it that they would come....this is a top job and would draw the attention of many of the top coaches

But it isn't going to happen

toxichog

It is not a given that DVH would not go to Texas........but not for the money......it is not about that.  He is an ultra competitive person, and if he were to go to UT.....it would be his thirst for a Natl. Championship.  He has been here for years and built a solid program, but realistically has not won a championship or made the final 2.  At Texas with the recruiting base you can win multiple championships, and you don't have to grind weekly like in the SEC.  Arkansas in baseball is in the best shape of the big 3 sports for going out and getting a great coach though.........probably only 10 or 12 better jobs in the country........couldn't say that for football or basketball.

Knot2brite

Quote from: toxichog on May 14, 2016, 09:22:42 pm
It is not a given that DVH would not go to Texas........but not for the money......it is not about that.  He is an ultra competitive person, and if he were to go to UT.....it would be his thirst for a Natl. Championship.  He has been here for years and built a solid program, but realistically has not won a championship or made the final 2.  At Texas with the recruiting base you can win multiple championships, and you don't have to grind weekly like in the SEC.  Arkansas in baseball is in the best shape of the big 3 sports for going out and getting a great coach though.........probably only 10 or 12 better jobs in the country........couldn't say that for football or basketball.
I have heard this twice this week by people that I think have a good idea of what is going on...I am going to back away from the concrete belief that DVH would never leave...I am going to stick with I really hope he doesn't

Kevin

To read on here, sounds like the program has the potential of blowing up

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on May 15, 2016, 09:38:42 am
Dumpster fire.

Hardly, it's called a bad season, dumpster fires don't have a 14 year streak of making the tournament. Of course, I know you are trolling, but that doesn't work in EI.

WilsonHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2016, 09:44:14 am
Hardly, it's called a bad season, dumpster fires don't have a 14 year streak of making the tournament. Of course, I know you are trolling, but that doesn't work in EI.

No, it does not.