Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benintendi in the Minors...Majors Now

Started by JHicks3636, April 05, 2016, 10:42:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornfed Pig

RBI double in the 5th to give the Sea Dogs the lead.  Also scored after the next guy doubled

JHicks3636

May 17, 2016, 06:20:01 pm #101 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:57:16 pm by JHicks3636
Ended the night 2-3 with a walk and 2 rbis. Batting .286 for his new team thru two games.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160517&content_id=178677020&fext=.jsp&vkey=recap&sid=t546

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Eric Karabell thinks he can be up as soon as this summer. (sorry for screwing up this embedding, can't get the tweet to imbed properly)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It&#39;s always a good time to go prospecting with <a href="https://twitter.com/karabellespn">@karabellespn</a>;. Here&#39;s a <a href="https://twitter.com/RedSox">@RedSox</a>; player to watch: <a href="https://t.co/ZYiR9PJ3xv">https://t.co/ZYiR9PJ3xv</a></p>&mdash; ESPN Fantasy Sports (@ESPNFantasy) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNFantasy/status/732738148640411648">May 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

ched come back pls

JHicks3636

Really rough night for Benintendi. He went 0-4 with 3 strike outs. He has 5 Ks in 3 AA games, only had 9 in about 35 A games. He is discovering that it gets tougher as you climb up.

AirForceHog

I'm sure he will adjust. It will be great seeing him progress.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

yraciv

Beni is playing with Stankiewicz and Ty Buttrey, former Hog signees in Portland .

JHicks3636

Benintendi continues to be mired in a horrible slump. He has a hit in only one game since his promotion. He was 0-4 again tonight and is presently at .105. His strikes outs have drastically increased as well.

JHicks3636

Benintendi has started making contact and had 2 hits in each of his last two games. Average is up to .243. Takes some time to adjust to a promotion.

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 30, 2016, 10:41:37 am
Benintendi has started making contact and had 2 hits in each of his last two games. Average is up to .243. Takes some time to adjust to a promotion.
thanks for the updates.  This young man will adjust and do great at every level. 

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 30, 2016, 10:41:37 am

Has dropped down to .214, and that's after a two-hit game last night.  He's had a lot of 0 for 4 and 1 for 5 nights since the promotion.  But, as you say, it's an adjustment and that's exactly why MLB has these different leagues.  I expect to look at AB's numbers in a month and see him in the .250 to .275 range.

AirForceHog

I love this thread. It's fun tracking the progress. Thanks to those that put in the work and look up the stats
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Cornfed Pig

Raw footage of Beni's first hit for the Sea Dogs (5/17/16). Hope this doesn't break any rules. Apologies if so.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/169314074[/vimeo]

Cornfed Pig

Beni and the Sea Dogs are on NESN tonight for any east coasters out there...

Cornfed Pig

Sea Dogs are taking a whooping, down 9-1 in the 6th.  Beni is 0-2 with a walk and CS.

JHicks3636

Goes 3-5 tonight with his first AA homerun and has 2 rbis as he raises his average to .229. I wonder how much he is being effected by playing on such a bad team. Not trying to make an excuse for him, just pointing out a fact.

bulldog04

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 10, 2016, 10:04:47 pm
Goes 3-5 tonight with his first AA homerun and has 2 rbis as he raises his average to .229. I wonder how much he is being effected by playing on such a bad team. Not trying to make an excuse for him, just pointing out a fact.
On a bad team he has to overcome negativity on top of increased competition.  A good lesson since he has won his whole life and is probably new to him

jesterzzn

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 10, 2016, 10:04:47 pm

The biggest problem he's having right now is simply adjusting to almost never seeing a fastball.  When he does, they are likely cutters and sinkers so they are moving late too.  It's a huge difference hitting a curve ball in the mid to high 60's compared to hitting one in the mid 70's.  It's why AA is usually the hardest jump for guys to make.  They have to figure out how to hit a breaking ball that moves fast and breaks hard.  It's one of the hardest things to do in sports (at least to do it intentionally). 

The good news is he saw pitchers like this in the SEC, just not as many and almost never in middle relief.  He's already starting to swing better at breaking balls in a really short period of time.  Take his first five games or so out of the numbers, and his average is very respectable.  Plus he's getting better and better with every at bat.  At his current pace, I think he'll definitely see MLB at bats in August or September.

booogaga

I doubt they call him up to the show unless they need him for playing time. Why start his clock if you dont have to.
GO HOGS!

jesterzzn

Quote from: booogaga on June 14, 2016, 07:25:31 pm
I doubt they call him up to the show unless they need him for playing time. Why start his clock if you dont have to.

The clock doesn't officially start unless he goes over a certain number of innings (I don't remember the exact number or how they are applied).  So it's common for teams to call up players that they think are getting close to being MLB ready in the latter part of the season in order to get them some MLB at bats without having to officially designate them rookies.

The Angels did it with Trout the year before his official Rookie year.  I think he played in twenty or thirty games in 2011.  He was AL Rookie of the Year in 2012.

The only thing that might prevent it is if Boston is in a super close race for the playoffs.  Even if they are they might give him a month as an all purpose replacement outfielder so they can rest some of the other guys.

JHicks3636

Benintendi with a 2-4 night including his 2nd AA homerun. Average up to .245.

89ALUM

Quote from: jesterzzn on June 14, 2016, 08:58:02 pm
The clock doesn't officially start unless he goes over a certain number of innings (I don't remember the exact number or how they are applied).  So it's common for teams to call up players that they think are getting close to being MLB ready in the latter part of the season in order to get them some MLB at bats without having to officially designate them rookies.

The Angels did it with Trout the year before his official Rookie year.  I think he played in twenty or thirty games in 2011.  He was AL Rookie of the Year in 2012.

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

So Beni can get 130 AB's or less (or be with the club starting in mid-August) and be considered a rookie for 2017.  However, the arbitration clock is a different concern.  Once he gets called up at any time, that clock starts and it will be time to pay up.  Basically, as soon as the clock starts, then count three years (or possibly two if he's a "Super Two" player).  Then you have to break open the piggy bank to keep him.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/mlb-salary-arbitration-rules/
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

jbell96

I know it is fun to speculate on him getting a call up to the big club, but I really don't see him in Boston at all this year. I for sure see him in AAA, but going to be tough to get to Boston this year. I hope I'm wrong though.

JHicks3636

Benintendi with two good games in a row including last night's 2-5 effort including his third homer at AA. His batting average has climbed to .261.

3kgthog

For those with deep pockets and more money than sense, there's a Beni game used autographed jersey for sale on the minor league baseball official auction site. The theme from the game was Top Gun night, complete with Pete Mitchell name graphics on the chest. Current bid $500+.

JHicks3636

Benintendi goes 4-5 with 2 doubles and is now hitting .283 at AA after a slow start.

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

jesterzzn

Quote from: PintailKiller on June 29, 2016, 09:51:01 am
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160629&content_id=186825070&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

Nice little article about Benintendi.

QuoteThere the California native compiled a .341/.413/.563 slash line in 34 games before his promotion to Portland.

What a random thing to get completely wrong.

jbell96

Quote from: jesterzzn on June 29, 2016, 02:53:46 pm
What a random thing to get completely wrong.

Yeah, I saw that too. How do you get Ohio & California mixed up?

JHicks3636

Benintendi had Portland's only hit in tonight's game-a first inning homer in a 5-1 Portland loss. He ended up 1-3 with a walk and stolen base. Average rose 1 point to .284. As I have previously stated, he is playing on a bad baseball team that now has a 27-50 record.

clutch

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 29, 2016, 08:34:01 pm
Benintendi had Portland's only hit in tonight's game-a first inning homer in a 5-1 Portland loss. He ended up 1-3 with a walk and stolen base. Average rose 1 point to .284. As I have previously stated, he is playing on a bad baseball team that now has a 27-50 record.

Playing on a bad team can definitely impact a players performance. Especially if you are on a team that doesn't hit well. I don't know if that's the case for his team or not because I haven't kept up with their team.

You will usually see hitters perform better if the players before them get on base a lot though. Pitchers have to pitch differently to them then and it favors the hitter.

JHicks3636

Another good day for Benintendi. He goes 2-3 with his 5th homer, 2 rbis, and a walk. Average now up to .289.

hoglady

Quote from: jbell96 on June 15, 2016, 08:08:28 am
I know it is fun to speculate on him getting a call up to the big club, but I really don't see him in Boston at all this year. I for sure see him in AAA, but going to be tough to get to Boston this year. I hope I'm wrong though.

May not ever see him in a Red Sox uniform. Rick was saying on Drivetime this week there's lots of talk about a trade involving Benintendi and others to try to help shore up the Sox pitching woes.
Man, I would hate that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JHicks3636

Quote from: hoglady on July 02, 2016, 09:59:49 pm
May not ever see him in a Red Sox uniform. Rick was saying on Drivetime this week there's lots of talk about a trade involving Benintendi and others to try to help shore up the Sox pitching woes.
Man, I would hate that.

It might be the quickest way for him to get to the majors. The team getting him in the trade might have a more pressing need to move him up.

89ALUM

Betcha the Reds make a run at Beni.  He's from a suburb of Cincy (Madeira) and the Reds are toast this year, probably looking to dump any pitchers that have shown any competency.  They've got a couple of arms that might have value.

"That's what." - she

JHicks3636

This link should give you a look at Benintendi's 5th homer last night. Watch the right fielder just turn and look.
http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=885389983&sid=t546

yraciv

Quote from: 89ALUM on July 03, 2016, 10:33:41 am
Betcha the Reds make a run at Beni.  He's from a suburb of Cincy (Madeira) and the Reds are toast this year, probably looking to dump any pitchers that have shown any competency.  They've got a couple of arms that might have value.

I didn't realize the Reds just look to make moves on local products.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 03, 2016, 07:41:41 am
It might be the quickest way for him to get to the majors. The team getting him in the trade might have a more pressing need to move him up.

I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan.
I want to see him in the Fenway outfield wearing a Sox uniform.
If he ever does get on their major league roster - I may just have to go visit some family in Boston.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ucahogfan

Quote from: 89ALUM on July 03, 2016, 10:33:41 am
Which pitcher would the Reds move?  Their pitching is terrible this year.  Plus, all of their starters are young and part of their future.

The starting pitching market is weak this year.  The two best names being floated around are Julio Teheran and Sonny Gray.

Teheran probably won't be traded, but if he is, only a couple of teams could give the Braves what is needed to move him which is a better haul than we got for Shelby Miller which was Ender Inciarte who is an elite defender who hit .300 last year, Dansby Swanson a top 10 prospect, and Aaron Blair who was a borderline top 50 prospect.  Teheran also has one of the most team friendly contracts in baseball as he is owed only about $40M by 2020.

Gray has had a bad year which has hurt his trade value and the As won't get as good of a return as they good have had they moved him last year.

The Red Sox and Dodgers are two teams which need starting pitching and have the prospects to offer to the Braves although the Red Sox are a much better fit.  The Red Sox deal would probably have to be Swihart and two of or all three of Moncada, Devers, and Benintendi.  That would be a haul that is better than what the Braves got for Miller.  The Dodgers would probably have to give up both Pederson and Urias which means that trade will never happen.

89ALUM

Quote from: yraciv on July 03, 2016, 11:47:34 am
I didn't realize the Reds just look to make moves on local products.

I'd think any team with a savvy front office is looking to put butts in seats.  The Reds are waaay out of it, and they are taking the Atlanta approach to dumping salary (even cheap players) and getting prospects.  Fans will turn out to see the hometown hero, just like they did for Griffey, Jr., even though they sucked back then as well.  It's been the MO for the Reds for a decade or more.

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 03, 2016, 12:45:30 pm
Which pitcher would the Reds move?  Their pitching is terrible this year.  Plus, all of their starters are young and part of their future.

Dan Straily is cheap and is better than 3/5 of the BoSox current rotation.  He's not exactly young, and has shown some strikeout power this year and last.  DeSclafani is probably also on the block, is a bit younger (Age 26) and not in the Reds long term plans.  They won't deal Iglesias, Lamb, Lorenzen or Finnegan, at least not this year.  None of the rest of their staff has much value, certainly not enough to get a prospect of Benintendi's ability.

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 03, 2016, 12:45:30 pm

The starting pitching market is weak this year.  The two best names being floated around are Julio Teheran and Sonny Gray.

And that's why the Reds and other teams with mid-level starters are possible trade partners.  The Red Sox aren't going to go out and get a #1 or #2 starter before the August 1 deadline.  There's virtually no chance anyone in their division will make a deal with them.

Just my opinion, from the Reds' fan perspective.  I know that all that's discussed up here on talk radio is how to copy the Braves plan - tank and load up on prospects and get high draft picks.  Similar to the Astros of 2-3 years ago.  But Reds fans are following Benintendi as well, quite ardently ever since he was Ohio's Mr. Baseball back in high school.

"That's what." - she

ucahogfan

Quote from: 89ALUM on July 03, 2016, 04:36:09 pm
I'd think any team with a savvy front office is looking to put butts in seats.  The Reds are waaay out of it, and they are taking the Atlanta approach to dumping salary (even cheap players) and getting prospects.  Fans will turn out to see the hometown hero, just like they did for Griffey, Jr., even though they sucked back then as well.  It's been the MO for the Reds for a decade or more.
Except the Braves had players with a lot of value such as J-Hey, Justin Upton, and Kimbrel just to name three.  The Reds have some good players like Joey Votto and Jay Bruce, but Votto's contract means he is a Red for life or the Reds will have to eat a lot of salary to get a decent prospect while Bruce would probably bring back one top 100 prospect.  They got a great haul for Cueto last year from the Royals with Finnegan, Lamb, and Reed which will probably be 60% of their rotation for a long time.

Dan Straily is cheap and is better than 3/5 of the BoSox current rotation.  He's not exactly young, and has shown some strikeout power this year and last.  DeSclafani is probably also on the block, is a bit younger (Age 26) and not in the Reds long term plans.  They won't deal Iglesias, Lamb, Lorenzen or Finnegan, at least not this year.  None of the rest of their staff has much value, certainly not enough to get a prospect of Benintendi's ability.
Are you saying that Straily could get the Reds Benintendi?  At best, Straily would net the Reds someone like Michael Chavis or Travis Larkins out of the Red Sox system.  That is the absolute top end in terms of prospects the Reds would get for Straily.

And that's why the Reds and other teams with mid-level starters are possible trade partners.  The Red Sox aren't going to go out and get a #1 or #2 starter before the August 1 deadline.  There's virtually no chance anyone in their division will make a deal with them.

Just my opinion, from the Reds' fan perspective.  I know that all that's discussed up here on talk radio is how to copy the Braves plan - tank and load up on prospects and get high draft picks.  Similar to the Astros of 2-3 years ago.  But Reds fans are following Benintendi as well, quite ardently ever since he was Ohio's Mr. Baseball back in high school.
But why would the Red Sox give up prospects for a pitcher who is marginal rotation piece and probably wouldn't be in the postseason rotation?  If it is really about winning, the Red Sox would make a splash move for someone like Teheran who is proving to be one of the 15-20 aces in the MLB right now.  Being one of the top 15 pitchers in the game at the age of 25 and one of the best contracts in baseball means the Braves have one of the most valuable trade assets on the market.

The Reds don't have an asset which will net Benintendi.  About the only player on the market this year that would mean Benintendi would be moved would be Teheran and maybe Gray, but Gray has been terrible this year.

89ALUM

I honestly think DeSclafani and/or Straily would net a guy who's never sniffed an AB above AA ball, plus the Red Sox have a crowded outfield. 

I agree there isn't a lot of SP out on the market right now, but the Sox are fishing in a sellers' market for pitching.  Teheran makes a lot more sense for Boston, but I believe the Braves are going to hold onto him just like the Reds are going to hold on to Finnegan and Iglesias.

In the end, the Sox will likely find a starter on a team that is neither Atlanta or Cincy.  But it's certainly fun to speculate.

"That's what." - she

ucahogfan

Quote from: 89ALUM on July 04, 2016, 12:50:40 am
I honestly think DeSclafani and/or Straily would net a guy who's never sniffed an AB above AA ball, plus the Red Sox have a crowded outfield. 

I agree there isn't a lot of SP out on the market right now, but the Sox are fishing in a sellers' market for pitching.  Teheran makes a lot more sense for Boston, but I believe the Braves are going to hold onto him just like the Reds are going to hold on to Finnegan and Iglesias.

In the end, the Sox will likely find a starter on a team that is neither Atlanta or Cincy.  But it's certainly fun to speculate.
But there is NO way that Straily / DeSclafani would net the Reds Benintendi.  Benintendi is a top 25 prospect in the game.  If the Reds even mentioned that trade, the Red Sox would hang up and stop negotiating entirely.  They might even laugh while they were hanging up.

The Sox really like Teheran because Frank Wren, the former GM with the Braves, is now in the organization.  I doubt the trade happen, but he is the only name on the trade market which would require Benintendi or that level prospect in the deal.

yraciv

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 04, 2016, 05:26:51 pm
But there is NO way that Straily / DeSclafani would net the Reds Benintendi.  Benintendi is a top 25 prospect in the game.  If the Reds even mentioned that trade, the Red Sox would hang up and stop negotiating entirely.  They might even laugh while they were hanging up.

The Sox really like Teheran because Frank Wren, the former GM with the Braves, is now in the organization.  I doubt the trade happen, but he is the only name on the trade market which would require Benintendi or that level prospect in the deal.

Got to agree with UCA here. Reds just don't have the pieces. Straili and Descalf are maraginal at best starters. Sox need another top rotation piece to compete with the mets, cubs rotations, and be top dog in the AL.  Would love to see the Braves get Beni!

woo.pig

Ken Rosenthal's latest notes column for FOXSports.com.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-red-sox-john-farrell-upgrade-rotation-070416

"The universal feeling" within the Red Sox organization is that top prospect Andrew Benintendi will surpass the likes of Kyle Schwarber and Michael Conforto in terms of being an all-around player.  There is also some sentiment that Dave Dombrowski "is sold on Yoan Moncada becoming a superstar."  So the Sox could well have their long-term answers at left field and third base spoken for, or Boston could deal one of these top youngsters for a pitching upgrade.  Rosenthal feels that the Sox would only move one of these two "a true, controllable ace," and no pitcher like that appears to be available at the deadline.  Boston might go for a lower-key pitching upgrade at the deadline and then wait to pursue an ace in the offseason when such names as Jose Fernandez or Matt Harvey could be had.  Since so many of Boston's issues can be traced back to its struggling rotation, Rosenthal doesn't think Dombrowski will or should make a rash move like firing John Farrell or trading a top prospect for anything less than full value.

ucahogfan

Quote from: woo.pig on July 04, 2016, 08:13:22 pm
Ken Rosenthal's latest notes column for FOXSports.com.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-red-sox-john-farrell-upgrade-rotation-070416

"The universal feeling" within the Red Sox organization is that top prospect Andrew Benintendi will surpass the likes of Kyle Schwarber and Michael Conforto in terms of being an all-around player.  There is also some sentiment that Dave Dombrowski "is sold on Yoan Moncada becoming a superstar."  So the Sox could well have their long-term answers at left field and third base spoken for, or Boston could deal one of these top youngsters for a pitching upgrade.  Rosenthal feels that the Sox would only move one of these two "a true, controllable ace," and no pitcher like that appears to be available at the deadline.  Boston might go for a lower-key pitching upgrade at the deadline and then wait to pursue an ace in the offseason when such names as Jose Fernandez or Matt Harvey could be had.  Since so many of Boston's issues can be traced back to its struggling rotation, Rosenthal doesn't think Dombrowski will or should make a rash move like firing John Farrell or trading a top prospect for anything less than full value.
Of course they feel like Benintendi will surpass the likes of Schwarber and Conforto because those two aren't all around players.  Benintendi has the potential to be a 20/20 guy and plus defense in LF while Schwarber and Conforto will be replacement level at best defenders and don't have plus speed.

Moncada has drawn comps as a switch hitting Robinson Cano with speed and is a top 5 prospect.  Of course they see him as a potential super star.

They could easily be the long term options or be used to get the ace they need for the postseason.  And I disagree with Rosenthal's opinion about there not being a true controllable ace as Julio Teheran fits that description perfectly although it would probably require both Moncada and Benintendi in the trade to fit the Braves demands.  Sure, his stuff does not pop like Fernandez or Harvey, but his track record is better.

JHicks3636

Benintendi goes 2-4 tonight with a double and his 6th homer at AA, 2rbis, and average sits at .289.

PintailKiller

From Peter Gammons today -
Peter Gammons Retweeted
Red Sox Stats ‏@redsoxstats  Jun 30
Benintendi's batted balls in June:
32 fly balls
28 line drives
22 grounders
8 pop ups

67% fly balls and line drives. Crazy good contact.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

jesterzzn

July 06, 2016, 10:27:49 pm #147 Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:56:23 pm by jesterzzn
I went to look up his stats and noticed its his birthday.  Happy Birthday Beni!

So his improvement has been rather dramatic.  He's clearly figured something out at the plate.  I don't think its just a hot streak, nor is luck a major factor in his numbers the past month.

His slash for the last 25 games:  .359/.429/.707  with 6 HR and 20 RBI.

.359 could be explained away as a hot bat.  Those other two along with it in a 25 game stretch?  Harder to dismiss.  Especially if we take his slash line from the past 90 days (which includes some of his games before he started making good contact in AA games):  .304/   .371/.520   That's a hot streak for most AA batters.  For Benintendi it was his adjustment period. 

Even if his numbers fall back to Earth a bit in the coming month, I think he's made himself either the most valuable trade bait prospect in Baseball, or he's a lock to see some MLB PA's this season with the Sox.  Could be wrong on the latter, but only because of the Staff's old school approach to handling prospects (which isn't really a bad thing).  Personally, I don't think he'll be traded at all.  He was selected 7th.  If the 2015 draft were redone with today's info, he probably goes top 3.   You are not going to get a top three talent for him in a trade nor will you get a pitcher worthy of giving up that kind of value.

woo.pig

Andrew Benintendi, OF, Boston Red Sox (Double-A Portland)

The Red Sox have already patched up their bullpen by trading for Brad Ziegler, and they're almost certain to acquire a starting pitcher before the non-waiver trade deadline on August 1 to shore up their shaky rotation. Their offense, meanwhile, is already the best in baseball and they could be even better once the Andrew Benintendi era begins.

I'm not certain that the 22-year-old Benintendi will be the first first-rounder (No. 7 overall) from the 2015 Draft to get the call to the big leagues—see Alex Bregman—but he shouldn't be far behind. Coincidentally, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski recently hinted that Benintendi is close and might not need a stop in Triple-A.

Since a promotion to Double-A in mid-May, the left-handed-hitting center fielder has an .844 OPS in 47 games, including a .310 batting average since a 2-for-19 start. He'll man left field once he arrives in Boston with Brock Holt moving back into his valuable role as a super-utility man

hoglady

Quote from: woo.pig on July 11, 2016, 09:23:33 pm
Andrew Benintendi, OF, Boston Red Sox (Double-A Portland)

The Red Sox have already patched up their bullpen by trading for Brad Ziegler, and they’re almost certain to acquire a starting pitcher before the non-waiver trade deadline on August 1 to shore up their shaky rotation. Their offense, meanwhile, is already the best in baseball and they could be even better once the Andrew Benintendi era begins.

I’m not certain that the 22-year-old Benintendi will be the first first-rounder (No. 7 overall) from the 2015 Draft to get the call to the big leagues—see Alex Bregman—but he shouldn’t be far behind. Coincidentally, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski recently hinted that Benintendi is close and might not need a stop in Triple-A.

Since a promotion to Double-A in mid-May, the left-handed-hitting center fielder has an .844 OPS in 47 games, including a .310 batting average since a 2-for-19 start. He’ll man left field once he arrives in Boston with Brock Holt moving back into his valuable role as a super-utility man

That's sure sounds encouraging.
It would be thrilling seeing Andrew play left with the Green Monster behind him.