Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This team reminds me of Mizzou 2011-2012

Started by The_Iceman, February 21, 2018, 09:16:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

The year before Mike left for Arkansas, he took the 2010-2011 Mizzou team to a 23-11 record and a 1st round NCAA Tournament exit. He returned almost the entire team the 2011-2012 season, except Lawrence Bowers got injured.

Looking back, I don't think that 2011 team under Haith would have been anywhere close to 30-4 entering the NCAA Tournament and a #2 seed with Mike as coach. That team was led by two main guards, Denmon and English. They were not a deep team, only going about 6 or 7 deep.

What I am seeing is a team right now at Arkansas that has about 6 or 7 decent players. However, due to pressing, trapping, and needlessly trying to play tight man-to-man full court...he is wearing his guys out. Haith slowing it down made the 2011 Mizzou team better than it would have been under Mike because he would have ran those 6 guys into the ground.

My fear is that if Mike doesn't make adjustments and use the matchup zone more, he will run Barford and Macon completely out of gas. There won't be anything left for the end of season push and tournament run.

I was sitting 6th row behind the bench last night, I saw the exhaustion. I saw Calipari exploit Mike extending the man defense all the way to half court. We need to make adjustments against these final 3 opponents, which are a lot better teams than the last 4 teams we beat.

hawginbigd1

Barford was struggling and it looked like he had no lift, because he was worn down. the lack of bench production has been the problem all season. the starters don't play good/hard defense trying to save themselves. Should play the match-up zone all night every game because the 3 guards have to play 30 minutes+ a game. The bench is not a bunch of stars but they were absolutely pathetic except for TT last night.

Hogtropolis™

Are you referencing the same team that lost to a 15 seed under Haith? Just wondering...

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 21, 2018, 04:58:55 pm
Barford was struggling and it looked like he had no lift, because he was worn down. the lack of bench production has been the problem all season. the starters don't play good/hard defense trying to save themselves. Should play the match-up zone all night every game because the 3 guards have to play 30 minutes+ a game. The bench is not a bunch of stars but they were absolutely pathetic except for TT last night.
Barford was also guarding Know last night who is a pretty good scorer. I wonder if that affected his offense.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 21, 2018, 07:40:07 pm
Are you referencing the same team that lost to a 15 seed under Haith? Just wondering...

Yes he is.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 21, 2018, 04:58:55 pm

Calipari embarrassed Mike's defense. We made no attempt to force them into their weaknesses. We actually played right into their strengths. All while wearing down our starters needlessly pressing full court.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 09:16:50 am
The year before Mike left for Arkansas, he took the 2010-2011 Mizzou team to a 23-11 record and a 1st round NCAA Tournament exit. He returned almost the entire team the 2011-2012 season, except Lawrence Bowers got injured.

Looking back, I don't think that 2011 team under Haith would have been anywhere close to 30-4 entering the NCAA Tournament and a #2 seed with Mike as coach. That team was led by two main guards, Denmon and English. They were not a deep team, only going about 6 or 7 deep.

What I am seeing is a team right now at Arkansas that has about 6 or 7 decent players. However, due to pressing, trapping, and needlessly trying to play tight man-to-man full court...he is wearing his guys out. Haith slowing it down made the 2011 Mizzou team better than it would have been under Mike because he would have ran those 6 guys into the ground.

My fear is that if Mike doesn't make adjustments and use the matchup zone more, he will run Barford and Macon completely out of gas. There won't be anything left for the end of season push and tournament run.

I was sitting 6th row behind the bench last night, I saw the exhaustion. I saw Calipari exploit Mike extending the man defense all the way to half court. We need to make adjustments against these final 3 opponents, which are a lot better teams than the last 4 teams we beat.

Isn't that the same MU team that quit on Mike. But no Hog fan wants to admit that at the time?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HogBreath

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 21, 2018, 07:40:07 pm
How far did Mike take them in the dance the year before? 
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ShadowHawg

Bowers got hurt in Haith's first season.

MA's best team at Mizzou still holds the single season win total for the Tigers. Haith's team wasn't even as good as a previous MA squad.

The team you are referencing did not have the same makeup as the previous year. They added little Pressey and the juco big as well as Crechlow? Basically a new team trying to find chemistry whose base was of veterans.

At least get the story straight

razorback1829

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 24, 2018, 12:07:22 am
Bowers got hurt in Haith's first season.

MA's best team at Mizzou still holds the single season win total for the Tigers. Haith's team wasn't even as good as a previous MA squad.

The team you are referencing did not have the same makeup as the previous year. They added little Pressey and the juco big as well as Crechlow? Basically a new team trying to find chemistry whose base was of veterans.

At least get the story straight

Somebody had to say it. Damn. Thank you bro.