Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is Responsible for Arkansas' Demise in Football?

Started by moses_007, October 14, 2017, 11:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were to blame someone, who would you blame?

Jeff Long... for hiring John L. Smith and Bret Bielema
92 (37.1%)
Bret Bielema... the coach that can't seemingly win a conference game.
52 (21%)
Bobby Petrino... had everything going until he ran the program into the ditch.
37 (14.9%)
Houston Nutt... good motivator but was just so-so in W's and L's.
2 (0.8%)
Frank Broyles... who got us in the SEC in the first place.
23 (9.3%)
Nolan Richardson...
3 (1.2%)
All of these AD's and coaches..........
17 (6.9%)
It's Frito Pie's fault.........
22 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

swineology

Ex-Trumpet

Not sure it's related, but the move to the SEC started a downward trend that keeps trending downward.

Certainly was responsible for the demise of the SWC!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

moses_007

We can't trend downward any further in the SEC.  The current football standings shows us in the cellar, a place that Bielema has occupied most often since he's been here.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: moses_007 on October 15, 2017, 05:32:10 pm
We can't trend downward any further in the SEC.  The current football standings shows us in the cellar, a place that Bielema has occupied most often since he's been here.

I suspected it was bad, but thanks, for ruining my beer.  Now I'm gonna have to get another one.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

elkhog

Quote from: moses_007 on October 15, 2017, 05:10:28 am
Right now it appears Jeff Long will shoulder most of the blame.  You guys aren't seeming to blame Bielema, which I find most interesting since some 90 percent of folks here are calling for his firing.

I was only allowed one choice.
GO HOGS!!!

elkhog

We will finish 5-7, possibly even 6-6.   Still sucks.
GO HOGS!!!

RazorbacksFTW

I blame both Long and Bert.
I blame Long for the buyout and extension he gave Bert and I blame Bert because he is one of the worst head coaches I have ever seen.
And yes I know the buyout is 5-6 million dollars not 15 million but that is still too much since Long gave him that after only winning like 7 games.

So I voted option 1 since blaming Long for hiring Bert is also admitting that Bert sucks.

3kgthog

Quote from: longpig on October 15, 2017, 01:12:08 pm
Blame Barry Alvarez, who watches Arkansas play for laughs.

Heck, I watched our game against Bama for laughs and I've been a Hog fan since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

forrest city joe

In this order.
John White.without John White,Jeff Long would have never been here.
Jeff Long. made one of the worst decisions in school history when he fired CBP, and hired coach B.
BOT for letting Long do this.
coach B. for not being a very good coach.and not putting his best talent on the field.

There is a lot of blame for this mess.they killed Arkansas Razorback football.

moses_007

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 15, 2017, 07:12:22 pm
In this order.
Jeff Long. made one of the worst decisions in school history when he fired CBP, and hired coach B.
coach B. for not being a very good coach.and not putting his best talent on the field.

There's blame everywhere you look.  White should never have selected a football or basketball coach.  He hired Pelphrey while Broyles was at the Master's in Georgia, behind Broyles' back.

TheJoeyBucketz

What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Hog N Bama

October 15, 2017, 07:57:44 pm #62 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:15:16 pm by Hog N Bama
If Petrino had only been faithful

Quickdraw

I say all of them had a slice of the pie. Some better than others but they all contributed to the success and failure.

pigskenG

(1) all the players that we tried to recruit to Arkansas that went to Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, TN, TA&M, Texas, OU, Ohio St. instead. You want me to list them all ? I watched LSU - AU on Saturday, kept saying to myself "tried to get him, tried to get him, tried to get him," etc.
(2) looking at the SEC standings right now, seems like the consistently good teams have either a solid offensive line, or a QB that can run and turn a bad play into a good one.  Just a thought.

SchrodingersHog

Broyles meddling with coaches.  White meddling with hires.  Nutt's ego.  Petrino's ego.  Long's hires.  Bielema's whatever his problem is.  Not a recipe for success.

East Clintwood

White should be really happy.

Arkansas officially has reached Vanderbilt level.

But only in athletics, not academics.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hawgzinbowlz

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 15, 2017, 07:12:22 pm
In this order.

Also...Not developing his players to their potential and not developing them in a timely manner.'

Many reasons and 1 head coach...Fire CBB.

" GO HOGS "

leroyhawg

God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Take some of these teams and leave BAMA to EFF themselves
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

BartIV

I blame John Futrall for starting a football team in Northwest Arkansas. He is the reason I stay up late on Sunday nights complaining about a game.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Pork Twain

October 15, 2017, 10:34:57 pm #73 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:48:25 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Hogwild on October 15, 2017, 10:17:19 am
That is where we disagree.  He seems like a nice guy and is good at raising money, but he isn't a winner.  Wasn't a winner at Pitt, hasn't been a winner here.
Ten years ago we entered a new era, Frank and Nutt departed and Jeff Long assumed control.

Since then 3 head coaches, about to have our 4th head coach in 11 years, and they have a combine conference record of 29-46, worst in the division. The SEC is down and we are at the bottom of it.

There isn't even light at the end of the tunnel, does anyone think that over the next 4 years our ceiling is anything higher than the Liberty Bowl?  That based on our current administration, leadership, coaching, recruiting, roster.

ADs don't win or lose games, they hire coaches to do that.  If that was the case, JFB was a failure based on Kines, Crowe, Ford, HDN, Heath, and Pel.  Everyone is allowed to make a hiring mistake.  Look no further than aTm (Franchione, Sherman & Sumlin), LSU (Orgeron), Florida (Muschamp & Durkin) and Tennessee (Kiffin, Dooley & Jones).  After seeing what CBB did at Wisky, very few were complaining when we "stole" him and it appeared we were trending up till the last two failures last year and the bomb this year.  For me, the good he has done here, far outweighs the bad and that is all you can ask for.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PigPusher

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 15, 2017, 09:38:33 am
With something like this it is really hard to point to one person or one event that set it all in motion. 

What if we hadn't moved to the SEC?  Could we have won like Oklahomo and Nebraska, if we would have stayed with the Texass talent?

What if JFB had not run off a couple of great coaches and then later fell in love with an awful one?

What if Clint had not Fumbled?

What if HDN had continued to let Gus call the plays?

What if Bobby P had not wrecked his bike?

What if Bobby would have been honest from the beginning and Long had just put restrictions in place?

What if the wreck happened at a different time of the year when there were coaches actually looking for a job and not just some lame duck, that was just keeping the seat warm?

What if Pittman had stayed here and actually recruited some offensive linemen?

What if CBB had just kept his mouth shut and made sure this team was ready each and every game and that the most important positions were always filled in recruiting?

What if we wore black uniforms?

What if all of our home games were actually played at home?

I do not blame Jeff Long in this and I hope we do not lose him.  I was shocked when I thought he stole a really good coach from Wisky and other than the extension, I have not been unhappy with any move he has in either coaches or facilities.  We could do a LOT worse and I am afraid some fans that want X, Y and Z fired every single year, will get their wish and we will learn what it really feels like to suck.

WHAT IF some of us had something to contribute other than being ludicrous. Did you have something to contribute?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

HogFoo

I think It was Frank's fault for not hiring Jimmy Johnson! 

After that, probably  not hiring Tubberville, after that probably not making Bobby Petrino have to kiss everyone's ass in order to save his job which makes him say NO initially then after an hour or so changes his mind and decides he will kiss everyone's ads but by that time Long is about to have his press conference to say he is officially firing Protein and so he doesn't  answer Petrinos call.

After that, I'll say it was when Bielema hired the POS Anderson to coach OLine.  That was the biggest mistake Bielema has made since being out coach.  Not hiring an already known, PROVEN OL coach who already had ties to recruiting.  Instead we get some bum who kikes to drink beer and chew him and he's all out of gum.   Who finally switches and puts the best OL in after Bielema steps in.  But yeah, that's the problem hires we've had to get us to where we are today!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

KennyForAD

October 17, 2017, 02:43:58 am #76 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:00:46 am by KennyForAD
Currently, Jeff Long is a nightmare... Our major boosters are a nightmare.  Our current coach is a NIGHTMARE who fooled us, and probably himself, into believing he has a clue how to coach football.  But the truth is that Frank Broyles' ego is the root cause of ALL of it and the demise began when Frank felt that Lou Holtz was a threat to outshine all he had done at Arkansas.  Frank's primary goal was always to protect his status as Arkansas' legendary coach.   He sabotaged us for decades and instilled the apathetic, nonsensical view that we are just, "Little ol' Arkansas" so deeply and for so long that we will never get over it.   

The move to the SEC was no mistake, as some have suggested.  We could have been highly competitive had Frank wanted to be.  Frank had the power to overcome White, had he wanted to, but it was just fine with Frank to be overruled.  Nutt was his dream coach - Frank got to go around claiming that Arkansas just couldn't do any better, and further glorifying himself because only a legend like Frank could possibly win at Arkansas...   Petrino proved that BS was utter nonsense and it looked as if we would overcome Frank's ego, but ... it just wasn't to be.  Arkansas has been for a LONG time a sleeping giant.  We could hire a good coach and be great at any time ... but we had our shot and its probably the last one we'll get in a long, long, Jeff LONG time.

hogsanity

Demise from what? Have you seen the program since it joined the SEC? The last time the Hogs were truly a great team was the late 70's, and even then they had the proclivity to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at the most inopportune times.

If anyone is to blame, it is the fans who for some unknown reason think this program is capable of being a perennial top 15 team. NOTHING about the football program actually shows that though. Not recruiting base, not facilities, not fan base, not coaching hire attractiveness, nothing says that. The Hogs are middle to lower level in the SEC in EVERYTHING and the results bear that out. They get a top 25 class in recruiting every year, based on the recruiting rankings, which is usually only good for 8th-10th in the conference. So, again based on recruiting rankings, 8-10 team in the league have better players year after year after year. You can have the best of everything, but if your players are still only 8th-10th best in the league, your team will be around 8th in the league. Until the talent problem is fixed, nothing is going to change.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

The fact that Jeff Long is winning this poll shows that emotions turn everyone into idiots.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 17, 2017, 08:38:49 am
The fact that Jeff Long is winning this poll shows that emotions turn everyone into idiots.

It is not emotions, it is that Long is an " easy fix " because the real problems with football are not easily fixable, if fixable at all. It is easy to fire one guy and replace him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 15, 2017, 05:22:40 pm
Not sure it's related, but the move to the SEC started a downward trend that keeps trending downward.

Certainly was responsible for the demise of the SWC!!

I think you can blame SMU and the death penalty for that one.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

PigPusher

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 17, 2017, 02:43:58 am
Currently, Jeff Long is a nightmare... Our major boosters are a nightmare.  Our current coach is a NIGHTMARE who fooled us, and probably himself, into believing he has a clue how to coach football.  But the truth is that Frank Broyles' ego is the root cause of ALL of it and the demise began when Frank felt that Lou Holtz was a threat to outshine all he had done at Arkansas.  Frank's primary goal was always to protect his status as Arkansas' legendary coach.   He sabotaged us for decades and instilled the apathetic, nonsensical view that we are just, "Little ol' Arkansas" so deeply and for so long that we will never get over it.   

The move to the SEC was no mistake, as some have suggested.  We could have been highly competitive had Frank wanted to be.  Frank had the power to overcome White, had he wanted to, but it was just fine with Frank to be overruled.  Nutt was his dream coach - Frank got to go around claiming that Arkansas just couldn't do any better, and further glorifying himself because only a legend like Frank could possibly win at Arkansas...   Petrino proved that BS was utter nonsense and it looked as if we would overcome Frank's ego, but ... it just wasn't to be.  Arkansas has been for a LONG time a sleeping giant.  We could hire a good coach and be great at any time ... but we had our shot and its probably the last one we'll get in a long, long, Jeff LONG time.

Dang totally agree. That absolutely was the word on the street at the time. The old ego thing. Everyone that came to the UofA that had the talent to coach were by subterfuge to some extent and bullying on the other were run off. And, O'l mighty one is gone also. As such it seems we have lost our way and lost too our daring. 
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Piggfoot

I blame Arkansas. Like it or not Arkansas does not have the player resources to compete in the SEC. Frank knew it and sold it for money. To be relevant Arkansas has to beg players other teams have passed by to come to Arkansas.
The coaches we have had have all done an admirable job for a period of their time here but they can't sustain it to satisfy the fans who are thankless for the players who have come to our state to entertain us. The SEC spiders gave us money to join so they would have someone to beat other than themselves.
And I agree with most of the above except that part which insinuates that we can out play the SEC elite consistently.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Steef

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 18, 2017, 05:47:53 am
I blame Arkansas. Like it or not Arkansas does not have the player resources to compete in the SEC. Frank knew it and sold it for money. To be relevant Arkansas has to beg players other teams have passed by to come to Arkansas.
The coaches we have had have all done an admirable job for a period of their time here but they can't sustain it to satisfy the fans who are thankless for the players who have come to our state to entertain us. The SEC spiders gave us money to join so they would have someone to beat other than themselves.
And I agree with most of the above except that part which insinuates that we can out play the SEC elite consistently.

Arkansas doesnt have the player resources to compete in any P5 conference.

Unless you want to move down in grade, we're gonna have to recruit out of State.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 17, 2017, 08:43:24 am
I think you can blame SMU and the death penalty for that one.

Somebody had to take the fall in Texas--and it wasn't going to be aTm or Texas!  Thus, SMU. 

What happened at SMU was peanuts compared to what happened in Austin or College Station...but we won't hear that on the Longhorn Network!!

HoggieStyle