Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The real Hogules

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 05, 2017, 11:17:49 pm
No one is mad at Perry. We're mad at MA and staff for being garbage recruiters. You had three 5 star plays in your state only to see two of them to go to your bitter rival. You had a guy committed only to leave the moment he becomes a 5star. That's what we're mad at.

NO, not everyone is mad at Mike Anderson! Some that post here are adults and know that crap like this happens. It's only the diaper wearing crowd that jumps on the coach and declares the rest of TWO recruiting classes "meh", due to the loss of a single recruit.
Hopefully someday though, you'll grow up and stop making yourself look foolish.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

PonderinHog

Quote from: The real Hogules on July 06, 2017, 07:26:51 am
NO, not everyone is mad at Mike Anderson! Some that post here are adults and know that crap like this happens. It's only the diaper wearing crowd that jumps on the coach and declares the rest of TWO recruiting classes "meh", due to the loss of a single recruit.
Hopefully someday though, you'll grow up and stop making yourself look foolish.
Go easy on him.

popcornhog

Quote from: J-Five on June 26, 2017, 12:03:37 pm

How is it MA's fault if he de-commits?  I don't understand how it could be on him...?!  Short of locking Perry in a room, or giving him a duffel bag full of money, how can ANY coach make a recruit KEEP his commitment?  Here's the answer for you....THEY CAN'T.  I get sick of the blame game.  Sometimes a recruit changes his mind, and it's no fault of anyone but that recruit....just a thought.  I know my post doesn't fit the "blame MA for everything" narrative, so I apologize in advance....

I think his point is just that recruiting has been middling, in the aggregate, under Mike. Now that we're losing the centerpiece of the class that was supposed to turn it around, it might be time to reevaluate MA as HC.

I don't necessarily agree (next couple of classes still look very good), but it's a perfectly valid opinion.
WPS

PonderinHog

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 06, 2017, 07:13:05 am
I don't buy the dad is sick.  IMO some other school had someone get in his ear telling him at Arkansas he is going to be stuck at the 4 and if goes to this school he will play at the 3

It is not hard to out recruit Anderson. Once the doors were open for people to start talking to him, we were never gonna land him unless he was just set on Arkansas for whatever reason.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: popcornhog on July 06, 2017, 07:56:18 am
I think his point is just that recruiting has been middling, in the aggregate, under Mike. Now that we're losing the centerpiece of the class that was supposed to turn it around, it might be time to reevaluate MA as HC.

I don't necessarily agree (next couple of classes still look very good), but it's a perfectly valid opinion.

MA is just not a good recruiter. He whiffed on too many guys. He failed to land too many guys for someone to dare call him a good one.

He whiffed on Goodwin. OK, in-state kid fine it was a, "business decision." He whiffed on Monk. Another in-state kid that MA had years to get him to be a Hog but it was a strange situation. Too many back room deals going on. Now he whiffed on Perry. A guy who said Arkansas was his KY. Well, at least until he became a 5* player.

That's not an anomaly, that's a trend.

Basketball recruiting under MA is starting to feel a lot like football. And I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting tired of seeing mediocre classes and being told by the media and a few posters on here how great they are.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

lynbug

Quote from: Breems on July 05, 2017, 10:42:04 pm
Don't fight this feelin' anymore.

We are who we are. Only the big dogs sprinkle 5*s on top of their 4-star cake.
And this reality is what gives me headaches....seeing the 5*s continually decommit.  As long as this continues....and I don't pretend to know the real reason why....we will have a hard time going beyond the second round.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:14:45 am
And this reality is what gives me headaches....seeing the 5*s continually decommit.  As long as this continues....and I don't pretend to know the real reason why....we will have a hard time going beyond the second round.

Always find the common denominator. And since 2011, that's been MA.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

lynbug

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 06, 2017, 07:54:34 am
Go easy on him.

Once again, you are able to start my day with a big chuckle.....and momentarily get my mind off of the 5* loss.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HoopS on June 28, 2017, 08:17:37 am
becauae only an idiot would have fired Anderson at this point.

well, who do you think your talking to?

Dominicanhog

Dominicanhog

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:14:45 am

and how many 5*'s have continually decommitted?  Did we have some other 5*'s committed? 

lynbug

I said "continually" which means regularly.  Goodwin, Monk....now Perry.  Two of them in-state. All in five years (which for me seems like five months).  It's just a little too "regular" for my liking.  JMO  I also forgot the kid who went to Florida....right now his name escapes me.  But maybe some of these were not five stars.

Hawg Red

Are people really mad at Anderson over this?

Reggie Perry was, or should have been, always considered a blessing for Razorback fans. We aren't getting kids like him, even from inside the state, on a regular basis. And you can stay that a big part of that is because Anderson isn't a strong recruiter. That's true -- he is not. But he is a good coach who can develop and get a lot out of the players he can get to stay in the program (retention is a problem for all coaches). I think Anderson's recruiting has improved not just because we got Reggie Perry, but because he's started to really get players that truly fit the style of play he desires. That's more important to me than getting one-year rentals with 5-stars. Of course, I'd love to have those kinds of players on top of a good core, but the core being strong is more important to me. Anderson is building a strong core for the Razorbacks with Dan Gafford, Khalil Garland, C.J. Jones, Jalen Harris, Adrio Bailey, Darious Hall, Gabe Osabouien, Isaiah Joe, Desi Sills, Ethan Henderson, and Justice Hill. That's a good damn team without Reggie Perry in my estimation. He now has 3 scholarships to offer for 2018 now, so I'm interested to see if he can convince a kid like Ian Steere to take Perry's spot. You can bet that there are some 4s out there kicking the tires on Arkansas after seeing this news. Does this sway an Ian Steere or a Josh LeBlanc? We'll see. I'm still expecting Anderson and Co. to bring in a few good players for 2018.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:31:52 am
I said "continually" which means regularly.  Goodwin, Monk....now Perry.  Two of them in-state. All in five years (which for me seems like five months).  It's just a little too "regular" for my liking.  JMO  I also forgot the kid who went to Florida....right now his name escapes me.  But maybe some of these were not five stars.

Goodwin and Monk never committed to Arkansas.

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 08:34:56 am
Goodwin and Monk never committed to Arkansas.
You're right. Good point.  I just can't get over the reality that when we do produce a five star...we have such a hard time keeping him in-state.  And yes,, I know Perry was not in-state.....I guess it's not being able to get or keep five stars....except occasionally.

widespreadsooie

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 08:34:30 am
Are people really mad at Anderson over this?

Reggie Perry was, or should have been, always considered a blessing for Razorback fans. We aren't getting kids like him, even from inside the state, on a regular basis. And you can stay that a big part of that is because Anderson isn't a strong recruiter. That's true -- he is not. But he is a good coach who can develop and get a lot out of the players he can get to stay in the program (retention is a problem for all coaches). I think Anderson's recruiting has improved not just because we got Reggie Perry, but because he's started to really get players that truly fit the style of play he desires. That's more important to me than getting one-year rentals with 5-stars. Of course, I'd love to have those kinds of players on top of a good core, but the core being strong is more important to me. Anderson is building a strong core for the Razorbacks with Dan Gafford, Khalil Garland, C.J. Jones, Jalen Harris, Adrio Bailey, Darious Hall, Gabe Osabouien, Isaiah Joe, Desi Sills, Ethan Henderson, and Justice Hill. That's a good damn team without Reggie Perry in my estimation. He now has 3 scholarships to offer for 2018 now, so I'm interested to see if he can convince a kid like Ian Steere to take Perry's spot. You can bet that there are some 4s out there kicking the tires on Arkansas after seeing this news. Does this sway an Ian Steere or a Josh LeBlanc? We'll see. I'm still expecting Anderson and Co. to bring in a few good players for 2018.
I appreciate your optimism.  It will help me get to put this Perry thing in the rearview mirror,.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:31:52 am

so what your saying is, your statement was with out fact, just BS on a keyboard... if so, I can buy that.

lynbug

Please enlighten me on what was not factual.  I always want to be corrected (politely, if possible).

Hawg Red

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:39:35 am
You're right. Good point.  I just can't get over the reality that when we do produce a five star...we have such a hard time keeping him in-state.  And yes,, I know Perry was not in-state.....I guess it's not being able to get or keep five stars....except occasionally.

We definitely have a tough time keeping 5-star talent with deep Arkansas connections. But I think it's tough for most programs to get that kind of talent. We're not blue-blood and we aren't paying so you just have to hope and wish for another Bobby Portis.

Hogimus Prime

When I read MA isn't a good recruiter my thought is 'MA won't play dirty'. Let's face it the Bill Selfs, Roy Williams and Calipari types are dirty slimeballs who only get the top players cause they do whatever it takes to get them i.e money, cars, jobs for family.  90% of those types are not good coaches.  They win most of their games cause they out talent a team., not because of their x's and o's.

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 08:47:11 am
We definitely have a tough time keeping 5-star talent with deep Arkansas connections. But I think it's tough for most programs to get that kind of talent. We're not blue-blood and we aren't paying so you just have to hope and wish for another Bobby Portis.
I'm just gonna sum it up...."I want to be a blue-blood again."

Dominicanhog

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:45:45 am
Please enlighten me on what was not factual.  I always want to be corrected (politely, if possible).

Monk and Goodwin never committed to Arkansas and no other 5*'s have decommitted... both were used in your statements and neither are factual...

PonderinHog

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:49:47 am
I'll take blue collar at this point.  We'll have to work our way back to the top.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:49:47 am

How do we get there without getting dirty?

Dominicanhog

lynbug

Thanks for the correction.  I think you misunderstood the tone of my post.  To me it's hard to grasp the fact that out of those five stars cited...none of them made it to our team.  And three of them were in-state.  If we could just get one occasionally to go with the supporting cast...it might give us the boost we need.  But I'm vey encouraged about the ones coming in that have not (as of today) decommited.

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 08:53:19 am
How do we get there without getting dirty?
It's obviously a slippery slope but I thought we were blue blood in the 70's, 80's and 90's but my perception of what "blue blood" really means is probably biased.

lynbug

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 06, 2017, 08:53:06 am
I'll take blue collar at this point.  We'll have to work our way back to the top.
Thank you, Ponderin.  You can always say a lot in a few words.  Blue collar....I'll take.  It's keeps you excited all season...regardless of the final standings.

AirWarren

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 06, 2017, 06:43:24 am
I love when people who have no knowledge,  and probably have never even met the family, make guarantees about what a kid will do

90% of hogville.

azhog10

If the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule, which might end up happening before next years draft, Reggie may not play anywhere in college. Not that I think he's ready, he has shown he's as good as any other 3/4 in that class.

Could open up Ian Steere to us. I believe Ian wants to play right away. With Reggie he wasn't going to get as much PT as he will now. If we can get Ian to replace Reggie then I think we did alright.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 09:02:36 am
It's obviously a slippery slope but I thought we were blue blood in the 70's, 80's and 90's but my perception of what "blue blood" really means is probably biased.

To the NCAA the blue bloods are Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina.  They do no wrong.  During the 80's and 90's schools like Arkansas, UNLV came along and caused trouble for the blue bloods. Messing up the status quo.  They were "renegade" programs and the NCAA went after them. Found stuff and nailed them.  If the NCAA actually looked they'd find all types of major violations at those schools but they won't

Dominicanhog

Quote from: azhog10 on July 06, 2017, 09:06:26 am
If the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule, which might end up happening before next years draft, Reggie may not play anywhere in college. Not that I think he's ready, he has shown he's as good as any other 3/4 in that class.

Could open up Ian Steere to us. I believe Ian wants to play right away. With Reggie he wasn't going to get as much PT as he will now. If we can get Ian to replace Reggie then I think we did alright.

gotta get a visit first... probably wishful thinking but you never know...

King Kong

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 05, 2017, 11:37:25 pm
Same ones freaking out about Monk last season. Arkansas was 2 minutes away from the sweet 16. Take a deep breath.

Without Monks and Perry's we very well may continue to be 2 mins away

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 06, 2017, 08:48:00 am
When I read MA isn't a good recruiter my thought is 'MA won't play dirty'. Let's face it the Bill Selfs, Roy Williams and Calipari types are dirty slimeballs who only get the top players cause they do whatever it takes to get them i.e money, cars, jobs for family.  90% of those types are not good coaches.  They win most of their games cause they out talent a team., not because of their x's and o's.

I agree and disagree somewhat. At Kansas Self and Williams were never considered dirty coaches. But they will get in the mud a little to get a great player. Now Calipari I do put in the dirty category with Jerry Tarkanian and Bob Huggins when he was at Cincinnati. Maybe that's the problem. MA doesn't want to get his clothes dirty to get great players.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 06, 2017, 09:10:56 am
I agree and disagree somewhat. At Kansas Self and Williams were never considered dirty coaches. But they will get in the mud a little to get a great player. Now Calipari I do put in the dirty category with Jerry Tarkanian and Bob Huggins when he was at Cincinnati. Maybe that's the problem. MA doesn't want to get his clothes dirty to get great players.

Self and Williams are clean dirty. 

lynbug

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 06, 2017, 09:09:11 am
To the NCAA the blue bloods are Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina.  They do no wrong.  During the 80's and 90's schools like Arkansas, UNLV came along and caused trouble for the blue bloods. Messing up the status quo.  They were "renegade" programs and the NCAA went after them. Found stuff and nailed them.  If the NCAA actually looked they'd find all types of major violations at those schools but they won't
"Renegade".....I like the sound of that, too.  By the way when is the NCAA gonna come down on NC for those "fake classes"?

zebradynasty

What is more disappointing are the post on here basically calling Perry and his family LIARS! I'm sure that will boost recruiting in the future! >:( Not all post have been that outrageous but dang...If Perry or his family were the type of people that make up a lie about someone's health for practically no reason...is that someone we want? I mean what else would they lie about? As far as anyone knows this family has been straight up with MA. Nothing they have done would indicate they would do what some have accused them of for the sole purpose of not wanting to make Arkansas fans made.

psooie

You won't know if he is a "liar" until he picks a new school, close to home not a liar, far away liar

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 06, 2017, 09:13:57 am
Self and Williams are clean dirty.

how can you call Roy anything but filthy... no other program, with the exception of SMU football, has been implicated in more long-term, systemic cheating than UNC under Roy.......

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 06, 2017, 09:25:55 am

how can you call Roy anything but filthy... no other program, with the exception of SMU football, has been implicated in more long-term, systemic cheating than UNC under Roy.......
Now goldurnit, you're gonna make Ole Roy cry.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 09:02:36 am

We were then. But it's quite obvious that the landscape is much, much, much different. And why is that? $$$$$$. Much more of it in college hoops now. Let's not be foolish enough to think that any program can just go out and recruit top talent cleanly and have consistent success. Not going to happen.

Hawg Red

J-Five

Quote from: niels_boar on July 05, 2017, 11:10:41 pm
Perry doesn't owe us any explanation.  Hence, I'm going to assume that his father unfortunately has health problems.  My father is a cancer patient.  I wouldn't move far away at present for any reason.  It's petty to question it if you have no knowledge of the situation.  Being away a few weeks in the summer is not the same as being far enough away for months to need a plane ticket for a weekend visit. Everybody should exercise their right to keep their opinions to themselves and move on.  We'll field a team without him.

TOTALLY agree...can't stand all the negativity and "Debbie Downer" talk.  If folks don't like the product, don't watch.  I'm from Arkansas, but I can see why kids would want to play elsewhere...some of the "fans" here are insufferable and way too entitled....
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 09:34:42 am
It's really not that simple, or easy.

It's not that easy, that's why every team can't do it.... but I disagree, it is that simple... winning teams recruit better..

AirWarren

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 06, 2017, 09:37:20 am
It's not that easy, that's why every team can't do it.... but I disagree, it is that simple... winning teams recruit better..

Please. Give me your plan of getting kids to come to Arkansas.

J-Five

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 05, 2017, 11:17:49 pm
No one is mad at Perry. We're mad at MA and staff for being garbage recruiters. You had three 5 star plays in your state only to see two of them to go to your bitter rival. You had a guy committed only to leave the moment he becomes a 5star. That's what we're mad at.
[/quote

Honest Question- So, PLEASE tell me what MA or even YOU would have done to keep Perry from de-committing.  I'm curious, since you're a renowned recruiter.  Do tell...smh
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: AP85 on July 06, 2017, 09:39:08 am

I already did.. read a few post up... WIN often and you'll recruit better because kids will know your a winner...

PonderinHog

Quote from: AP85 on July 06, 2017, 09:39:08 am
He already did.  It's over-simplified, but it will work.
Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 06, 2017, 08:54:56 am
W - I - N...