Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm going on record

Started by Porked Tongue, February 13, 2017, 09:08:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 14, 2017, 04:04:48 pm
+1000

Nolan Richardson is our John Wooden. He is the program. You guys can like it or not because he created this beast. He is one of the best things that happen to the University of Arkansas and the state of Arkansas. That court should already be named after him. He built it!!!

WilsonHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 14, 2017, 09:27:43 pm
Nolan Richardson is our John Wooden. He is the program. You guys can like it or not because he created this beast. He is one of the best things that happen to the University of Arkansas and the state of Arkansas. That court should already be named after him. He built it!!!

"Beast?"

Sh*t.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 13, 2017, 09:32:06 pm
To clarify, one unannounced change is definite.

Then I expect at least one more.
I told you so.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 09:32:53 pm
"Beast?"

Sh*t.

Nolan Richardson is a Hall of Famer! He changed the SEC and dominated the SWC. We should stay as close to Nolan as possible. The game hasn't changed that much. You still have to put that roundball in the basket. If Mike want to go get Todd, Corliss or Clint it would be great for the program. I just want someone that can attract and coach bigs to  play big.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 14, 2017, 09:40:20 pm
Nolan Richardson is a Hall of Famer! He changed the SEC and dominated the SWC. We should stay as close to Nolan as possible. The game hasn't changed that much. You still have to put that roundball in the basket. If Mike want to go get Todd, Corliss or Clint it would be great for the program. I just want someone that can attract and coach bigs to  play big.

Something you might want to consider.

Arkansas had a Top 20 basketball program before Nolan. We have now been largely irrelevant for more years after Nolan than Nolan was actually here.

Eddie Sutton can at least say that he left the Arkansas program far better than he found it.

Can Nolan make that claim?

MikePiazza

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 09:43:58 pm

Arkansas had a Top 20 basketball program before Nolan. We have now been largely irrelevant for more years after Nolan than Nolan was actually here.

Eddie Sutton can at least say that he left the Arkansas program far better than he found it.

Nolan's last season was his first losing season at Arkansas since his very first season. He had made the NCAA Tournament 13 of the preceding 15 seasons when he was fired.

The program was going to take a step back. Nolan didn't leave a bad program; he just left a way different culture than Stan Heath wanted to utilize.

We all know that had Nolan kept his job, the '02-03 team wasn't going 9-19 with Iguodala & Sullinger and Modica and the rest of the returnees. It would've been at worst a bubble team and more likely a NCAA lock.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 09:43:58 pm

In my opinion Eddie shouldn't be mentioned with Nolan Richardson. I respect both but that's two different leagues. Nolan left this program with two championship game appearances and one national championship. I'll take that

WilsonHog

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 14, 2017, 09:59:01 pm
Nolan's last season was his first losing season at Arkansas since his very first season. He had made the NCAA Tournament 13 of the preceding 15 seasons when he was fired.

The program was going to take a step back. Nolan didn't leave a bad program; he just left a way different culture than Stan Heath wanted to utilize.

We all know that had Nolan kept his job, the '02-03 team wasn't going 9-19 with Iguodala & Sullinger and Modica and the rest of the returnees. It would've been at worst a bubble team and more likely a NCAA lock.

My problem is with guys who act like Nolan invented Razorback basketball and that Eddie Sutton was dogsh*t. Those people are fans of Nolan's and support Razorback basketball now only if a member of Nolan's coaching shrub is at the helm.

Piss on that, and on those people. Either UA....or U ain't.

Rooster Hogburn

If Mike is fired can we also dismiss the radio guy that has been paired with chuck this year? I think his name is Zimmerman. He must've been a sympathy hire. Mike be like, "hey bro, u can't coach here anymore but we will pay you to do radio even though you gots no talent."
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

WilsonHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 14, 2017, 10:01:02 pm
In my opinion Eddie shouldn't be mentioned with Nolan Richardson. I respect both but that's two different leagues. Nolan left this program with two championship game appearances and one national championship. I'll take that

That's your problem. In order to feel good about yourself, you have to elevate one over the other.

I don't.

HogCzar1

Here's my question for those in the know, and its hypothetical.
1. We don't make the NCAA this year.
2. MA returns next year with at least one new assistant.
3. Next season we go much like this year, with no NCAA again.
4. What then? With Reggie Perry and crew here for maybe 1 year, and then what?

Are we banking the next 3-4 years of the program for what some feel is a one year chance to be good? Then what?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogCzar1 on February 14, 2017, 10:18:15 pm
Here's my question for those in the know, and its hypothetical.
1. We don't make the NCAA this year.
2. MA returns next year with at least one new assistant.
3. Next season we go much like this year, with no NCAA again.
4. What then? With Reggie Perry and crew here for maybe 1 year, and then what?

Are we banking the next 3-4 years of the program for what some feel is a one year chance to be good? Then what?

You left out the part about moving basketball games to Fayetteville High gymnasium.
[CENSORED]!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on February 14, 2017, 10:08:41 pm
If Mike is fired can we also dismiss the radio guy that has been paired with chuck this year? I think his name is Zimmerman. He must've been a sympathy hire. Mike be like, "hey bro, u can't coach here anymore but we will pay you to do radio even though you gots no talent."

He's still coaching, along with providing color for radio. They just 'rearranged the deck chairs' with job titles and a few coaching/administrative responsibilities.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 10:09:13 pm
That's your problem. In order to feel good about yourself, you have to elevate one over the other.

I don't.

I could careless!! Nolan is in the Hall and Eddie is not. I didn't elevate anybody the commitee did that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 14, 2017, 10:40:36 pm
I could careless!! Nolan is in the Hall and Eddie is not. I didn't elevate anybody the commitee did that.

Be careful, not careless.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 14, 2017, 09:59:01 pm

Nolan left a declining program and little talent(not too mention the drama and stigma).  The Igoudala, Sullinger and Modica dream is just that.  Sullinger was an average at best guard.  Not a great shooter, creator or defender.  Had almost as many turnovers as assists in his career.  Not much of an athlete.  He was a decent rebounder due to his size.  Igoudala was a great athlete learning how to play basketball especially as a Fr.  Horrible perimeter shooter.  His athleticism allowed him to be a good creator, rebounder and defender.  Would have made us better and been a good player as a sophomore.   Carried Satchell, Lane, Gomez, Eddins, Modica, Sullinger and crew to any kind of achievement?  We may have been able to get into the NCAAT one of those 2 Igoudala seasons.  At that time, just barely getting in wasn't cutting it any longer after what had happened in the NCAAT appearances after 96. 

If Mike had remained, he wasn't getting the players he had at UAB due to the academic changes which happened after the NC and White's arrival.  He would have had the same issue Nolan had.  And the same work ethic that he and that horrible staff had shown for many years when it came to recruiting.  This is why that notion he should have been given the job is such horsecrap.  He was the recruiting coordinator and lead assistant on the staff that had done a poor job while the program declined.  But maybe he could have made it for several seasons just because he is Mike Anderson and some of those Mizzou players would have formed a good team at Arkansas.  I wish now he would have gotten the job as we may be past this era at this point.  Would have gotten it over with.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

OnTheHillHogFan

I just want someone to coach the 4s and 5s that actually knows how to play those positions.

But it won't make a difference until MA is replaced.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

pigture perfect

We have not been the same since we stopped having the Memphis connection. If Mike wanted to keep his job, he should have been over there beating the bushes. Memphis State is down right now. Should be able to do something.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

WilsonHog

Here's the deal on Eddie and Nolan, at least in this forum.

There is no question Nolan is a Hall of Fame coach and led us to one national title and two more Final Fours.

There is also no question that Eddie Sutton came to Arkansas when Razorback basketball was an afterthought, little more than a club sport, and within four years had us in the Final Four. His era gave us the Triplets, plus guys like Darrell Walker, Joe Kleine, and Alvin Robertson.

(BTW, if you want to know when Razorback basketball was "born," that would be March 16, 1978, against John Wooden's Bruins).

So, if you think that you're going to use Jump Ball to disparage Sutton or what was accomplished during his time in Fayetteville, you are dead wrong.

Kevin

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 14, 2017, 03:31:09 pm

No the real hog fans that support the program no matter what the fair weather wannabees who keep griping about CMA and The players deserve is to go on down the road and cheer for someone else as the bandwagon hoppers they are.

are people fair weather fans
or
fair weather fan wannabees
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GuvHog

For the record, Nolan and Eddie are both in the College Basketball Hall of Fame. I'm not sure but I believe Eddie is to be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bvillepig

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 07:54:00 am
For the record, Nolan and Eddie are both in the College Basketball Hall of Fame. I'm not sure but I believe Eddie is to be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame this year.

Great Point.  Both are in the Hall of Fame.
I think that is our main problem with any of the coaches we have hired. As much as I like Mike he will never have the success that two Hall of Fame coaches have had. He is a good coach but not Hall of Fame.

Will his replacement be ? That's the 2.5 to 4 million dollar question.

If we can not hire a future Hall of Famer then we will be right back here in a few years with the same argument. I don't think we will but that's just an opinion.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: bvillepig on February 15, 2017, 10:45:16 am
Great Point.  Both are in the Hall of Fame.
I think that is our main problem with any of the coaches we have hired. As much as I like Mike he will never have the success that two Hall of Fame coaches have had. He is a good coach but not Hall of Fame.

Will his replacement be ? That's the 2.5 to 4 million dollar question.

If we can not hire a future Hall of Famer then we will be right back here in a few years with the same argument. I don't think we will but that's just an opinion.

Guess what?   We're back in the pre & post Sutton/Nolan era...... which was dismal.   Whatever Sutton did to totally turn the program around is obviously needed again.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bvillepig

We are a little better than dismal. The over all record is trending up. We are average.
I am not fine with it but I would just as soon stay where we are if we can't lure the next Hall of Fame coach.

shown006

Eddie Sutton actually created it....which almost got Nolan fired after his first year when he was down double digits late in the game to Ark St in the NIT.  Sutton finished 3rd in the country in 77-78, just missed out on back to back Final 4's when Larry Bird beat him on last second controversial play, had 3 SWC titles during Phi Slamma Jamma's run and NINE NCAA tournament appearances. 
WPS!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 07:54:00 am

I was only speaking of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame!!

Justifiable Hogicide

Nolan did some great things.
Then Nolan did some terrible things.
The terrible things he did have have had lot longer consequences.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 15, 2017, 07:37:05 am

There is no question Nolan is a Hall of Fame coach and led us to one national title and two more Final Fours.

There is also no question that Eddie Sutton came to Arkansas when Razorback basketball was an afterthought, little more than a club sport, and within four years had us in the Final Four. His era gave us the Triplets, plus guys like Darrell Walker, Joe Kleine, and Alvin Robertson.

(BTW, if you want to know when Razorback basketball was "born," that would be March 16, 1978, against John Wooden's Bruins).

So, if you think that you're going to use Jump Ball to disparage Sutton or what was accomplished during his time in Fayetteville, you are dead wrong.

Wasn't disparaging Sutton I was actually boasting about Nolan Richardson accomplishments. Maybe Sutton started the ball rolling for Arkansas basketball but Nolan took it to another level. That's not a knock against Sutton but Nolan trademark style of basketball was like no other coach at the University of Arkansas.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2017, 02:50:25 pm
Wasn't disparaging Sutton I was actually boasting about Nolan Richardson accomplishments. Maybe Sutton started the ball rolling for Arkansas basketball but Nolan took it to another level. That's not a knock against Sutton but Nolan trademark style of basketball was like no other coach at the University of Arkansas.

Do Mike's teams happen to play that same "trademark style?"

If so, either we don't play it as well, he can't coach it as well, or it no longer works.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 15, 2017, 03:10:46 pm
Do Mike's teams happen to play that same "trademark style?"

If so, either we don't play it as well, he can't coach it as well, or it no longer works.

I believe it still works. However, you have to make adjustments because in today's game the big man can dribble and shoot the ball. Mike will get it done at Arkansas. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I'll always pull for Nolan Richardson and Mike Anderson. As bad as many paint this season to be Arkansas is still in position to reach their goal. Make the NCAA tournament!!

WilsonHog

February 15, 2017, 03:35:07 pm #130 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:46:50 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2017, 03:29:24 pm
I believe it still works. However, you have to make adjustments because in today's game the big man can dribble and shoot the ball. Mike will get it done at Arkansas. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I'll always pull for Nolan Richardson and Mike Anderson. As bad as many paint this season to be Arkansas is still in position to reach their goal. Make the NCAA tournament!!

That the reality that irritates me; we have some people who profess to be Razorback basketball fans, but that comes with a condition: so long as Nolan and Mike are associated with it. If Mike decided to take another job at the end of this season, you and they would immediately attach yourself to that school.

I loved Eddie Sutton when he was our coach, and the style of basketball he coached; but when he went to Kentucky, I didn't become a Wildcat fan. When he went to OSU, I didn't become a Cowboy fan. I'm a Hog fan.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2017, 03:29:24 pm

Can we get a date as to when we can establish this?  Or will it be when Mike and Nolan are dead? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 15, 2017, 03:35:07 pm
That the reality that irritates me; we have some people who profess to be Razorback basketball fans, but that comes with a condition: so long as Nolan and Mike are associated with it. If Mike decided to take another job at the end of this season, you and they would immediately attach yourself to that school.

I'm a Razorback fan first!! However, if Mike left for LSU or anybody else I would still pull for his team also. Mike Anderson is doing everything in his power to turn the program around. Good things will start to happen for him and this program. Keep watching. I pull for two teams in college basketball Arkansas and Georgetown!! Nolan and Big John!!

HF#1

I think he is more likely to be here 3 more years than he is to get fired after this season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lefty08

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 15, 2017, 07:37:05 am

Sure sounds like you have an ax to grind, speaking purely from the tone of your posts. Eddie was great for arkansas basketball, he doesn't hold Nolans jock when it comes to coaching or accomplishments. Saying Nolan was who he was is not saying Eddie wasn't great for us
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2017, 02:47:15 pm
I was only speaking of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame!!

I'm aware of that and Eddie Sutton is being inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2017, 03:46:07 pm
I'm a Razorback fan first!! However, if Mike left for LSU or anybody else I would still pull for his team also. Mike Anderson is doing everything in his power to turn the program around. Good things will start to happen for him and this program. Keep watching. I pull for two teams in college basketball Arkansas and Georgetown!! Nolan and Big John!!

Are you aware that neither of these guys coach at either of these schools?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Sivad

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2017, 03:46:07 pm
Mike Anderson is doing everything in his power to turn the program around.
Could be. But then his skill set and energy level are both so low that his results are sub par.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Sivad on February 15, 2017, 05:55:51 pm
Could be. But then his skill set and energy level are both so low that his results are sub par.

19-7 and 8-5 aren't subpar. Could it be better? Yes.

But this notion that Anderson is subpar isn't cutting it. He's one of 11 active coaches in college basketball without a losing season. A losing season would be subpar.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

sadhogfan

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 15, 2017, 10:01:55 pm
19-7 and 8-5 aren't subpar. Could it be better? Yes.

But this notion that Anderson is subpar isn't cutting it. He's one of 11 active coaches in college basketball without a losing season. A losing season would be subpar.

Yes, this gets me too. Anderson is clearly not an "elite" coach, but neither is he "subpar." When words are used incorrectly, it renders them meaningless.

FineAsSwine

Nolan is the best razorback basketball coach ever and that is a fact. Not sure how this is a problem.
Hogs up! Covid down!

DCHawg

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 13, 2017, 09:19:53 pm
Then they will need to curtain off the upper level in BWA. It will be a like a tomb in there. He should have been gone after last year, and this year would not have been such a waste. Next year will be worse if MA is still the coach. Bank on it.

I guess you have seen the class he has coming in...

Swinesong1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 15, 2017, 10:48:22 pm
Nolan is the best razorback basketball coach ever and that is a fact. Not sure how this is a problem.
I do!

Biggus Piggus

I'm going on record. Mike Anderson's job is safe until Saturday.
[CENSORED]!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 13, 2017, 09:46:44 pm
My fear of him getting another year is mediocre cracking the bubble the next year or two is his ceiling while it could be the next coaches floor with the in coming recruits.

There are only 3 incoming recruits because the other recruits haven't signed yet and won't be able to until the fall. There is a huge difference between being a signee and a commit.

I think a lot of folks don't understand that point. We are just chalking up kids who are not signed as if they were. If MA is fired, rightly or wrongly, at a minimum, the 2018 guys are going to entertain some of the very good basketball programs that would still love to land at least 2 of those guys.

Not trying fear tactics here, but if we lost Perry and or Henderson, the new coach would not even come close to replacing them with a player of equal talent.

AWHAWG

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 14, 2017, 11:07:23 am
Why does everyone want former players and people tied to Nolan. Just because a good player dont mean he can coach, i.e., UCA.

RID ALL THINGS TIED TO NOLAN

Torqued pork

February 18, 2017, 11:50:19 am #146 Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:25:55 pm by Torqued pork
Nolan took us to the summit, but Eddie Sutton laid the foundation. Had it not been for Sutton, leaving Tulsa for Arkansas would've been a step down. Dismissing Eddie's success and defending MA at this point  is ridiculous.

Sivad

Nolan is in the Hall and Eddie is not.
Nolan tried to burn the program down on his way out.
Eddie did not.

elksnort

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 09:58:05 pm
This going to be like when Dan Hipsher was forced on Heath?  Kinda surreal.  This has failed to the point after 6 seasons a second round of forced staff changes are happening.  I'll admit I didn't see it getting to this point. 
Dan Hipsher?

Ha, wow! I forgot all about this guy!