Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm going on record

Started by Porked Tongue, February 13, 2017, 09:08:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

Anderson gets another year barring some real collapse.

Some staff changes will occur.  One is already completed.

For awhile, I was of the opinion this was his swansong without a NCAA berth.   Now I think that's not a line in the sand.

I do think missing it this year puts an "all or nothing" on him the following year.

psooie

If Jeff long long allows it than he should be fired. To keep a coach who makes 1 tourney appearance in 6 years is crazy

3of5-2

Then they will need to curtain off the upper level in BWA. It will be a like a tomb in there. He should have been gone after last year, and this year would not have been such a waste. Next year will be worse if MA is still the coach. Bank on it.

Knot2brite

I am not sure a staff change will occur. Moving Zimmerman wasn't a staff change and I figure no one is leaving...but he is getting another year and it will be a dance or go year for him
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

I think you are right for sure. Regardless, he's here next year.

But I'll go on record as saying it's moot - Arkansas will make the tourney.

hogwood

One is already complete? Do you mean Thurman?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 13, 2017, 09:08:38 pm

For awhile, I was of the opinion this was his swansong without a NCAA berth.   Now I think that's not a line in the sand.

I do think missing it this year puts an "all or nothing" on him the following year.

Anderson gets another year barring some real collapse. -  Expected.  LSU second half ended this real collapse scenario. 

Some staff changes will occur.  One is already completed.  - So [CENSORED] stupid. 

For awhile, I was of the opinion this was his swansong without a NCAA berth.   Now I think that's not a line in the sand. - Of course it isn't.  Mike has to remain coach till he at least achieves something of note.  Or gets too old trying.  Going to take a collapse or scandal to change it.  Counterfeit ring, bar fighting, public intox, weed, other transgressions kept out of the public eye wouldn't be enough. 

I do think missing it this year puts an "all or nothing" on him the following year. - Oh I have complete faith just good enough will happen. 

Thanks for the info Porked.  Thankful I'm young enough I should get to see what happens beyond this.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Porked Tongue

To clarify, one unannounced change is definite.

Then I expect at least one more.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 13, 2017, 09:19:53 pm
Then they will need to curtain off the upper level in BWA. It will be a like a tomb in there. He should have been gone after last year, and this year would not have been such a waste. Next year will be worse if MA is still the coach. Bank on it.

Move everyone down to just the pullout seats.  Do away with having a student section.  But 13,000 dumbasses will still buy season tickets. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cardsNhogs

I thought this was the year he had to make it

Knot2brite

Melvin retiring? It would make sense now that Manny is through after this year

Sivad

Quote from: psooie on February 13, 2017, 09:18:05 pm
To keep a coach who makes 1 tourney appearance in 6 years is crazy
We were warned about this "Mike Anderson Can Never Be Fired" scenario.

King Kong

3of5-2

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 13, 2017, 09:34:25 pm
I thought this was the year he had to make it
That's the crap we were all led to believe.

Atlhogfan1

I'm curious on the staff changes, if it will be from within the incestuous tumbleweed of Nolan or from outside.

Inside makes sense in that they will have the same messed up way of thinking as the rest of the dried up shrub.  Cohesion. 

Outside would make sense if you thought they could actually influence.  But if an outsider with different ideas, methods, plans, work ethic etc is the answer, THEN WHY THE HECK ARE WE EXTENDING THIS?  Just hire an outsider head coach.  I know, I know.  Mike has to be the head coach. 

onebadrubi

My fear of him getting another year is mediocre cracking the bubble the next year or two is his ceiling while it could be the next coaches floor with the in coming recruits. 

hamARchy in the USA

How is real collapse defined in your surreality ?

Atlhogfan1

This going to be like when Dan Hipsher was forced on Heath?  Kinda surreal.  This has failed to the point after 6 seasons a second round of forced staff changes are happening.  I'll admit I didn't see it getting to this point. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 13, 2017, 09:32:06 pm

Please let the unannounced move be 'Watkins retires, Cleveland moves to top assistant, & Mayberry slides in, full-time.'

That would make for an astounding day of review on Jump Ball. So epic.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Porked Tongue

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2017, 10:08:43 pm
Please let the unannounced move be 'Watkins retires, Cleveland moves to top assistant, & Mayberry slides in, full-time.'

I can confirm that scenario will not occur.

Mr. Porkleone

I can confirm I'm ready to

RID ALL THINGS TIED TO NOLAN ONCE AND FOR ALL

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 13, 2017, 10:10:02 pm
I can confirm that scenario will not occur.

Damnit man, you crushed my dream in less than five minutes.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

pigture perfect

I do not hate Mike, but I have lost all faith that he can win here consistently however long his tenure is here. I hate being sick of this status quo stuff.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2017, 10:13:27 pm

Sorry. Man,  We dying a slow death. BWA is a ghost town. 17 years long enough. It's a13-15 man roster. You don't need 7 yeas to turn arround.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 13, 2017, 09:58:05 pm
This going to be like when Dan Hipsher was forced on Heath?  Kinda surreal.  This has failed to the point after 6 seasons a second round of forced staff changes are happening.  I'll admit I didn't see it getting to this point. 

Porked Tongue

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2017, 10:13:27 pm
Reality is and will be hard enough.  No dreams needed.

zuko

Only thing missing is the Violin. Same O Same O

Ironhawg

Quote from: zuko on February 13, 2017, 10:27:01 pm
I do agree that he will probably get another year because of the 1 mil buyout. I don't think Long would lose a Mil for just one year. Wish I could've lost my job and got that kind of $.

This is just my opinion and is not based on anything other than a feeling I have about Long, but I believe Mike is here until he is ready to retire, barring a major collapse like maybe one NCAA tournament in ten years and a couple of losing seasons or a major scandal.  I get the feeling Mike will do just enough to stay employed amd Long doesn't seem to care how many empty seats there are in BWA.  Like I said, just my personal opinion.

1highhog

Bull crap, the only prophet in here that knew for certain where all this was going was me going on almost 6 years ago when you all were practically worshipping at MA's feet to come be our next Bball Coach and threaten to run Long out of town on a rail if he didn't hire Anderson.  And then, Mike holds us up for a bigger pot full of money, oh yeah, he was coming home alright, to the job he coveted, but he was doing so with a sack full of cash and now we have a Coach we're not going to get rid of.  He was a terrible hire to begin and only I and a very small minority voiced our disdain at the thought of what this would lead to.  Well, it's here and now it's like a cancer that has spread and you just can't get rid of, he'll be here no matter if we miss the Tournament.

Tick Hog

If this plays out this way then i believe the focus should be off Mike. I mean the man can't fire himself. I doubt you can find many here that believe that Mike likes losing and wants his teams to fail. I think he's honestly doing the best he can do. Is it good enough, nope. However if this plays out this way most of these Anderson threads need to be replaced with Jeff Long. I think the notion that Mike should be a stand up guy and just resign is dumb.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 13, 2017, 09:46:44 pm
My fear of him getting another year is mediocre cracking the bubble the next year or two is his ceiling while it could be the next coaches floor with the in coming recruits.

Man all these basketball geniuses act like get rid of Mike and were just going to get Mike K or Bill Self to walk right in. DELUSIONAL.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

jbhogfan4

I like Mike and had all the faith that he would have us back as regulars in the big dance. But that faith is gone as he's shown he is not capable of doing that. Partly because of their recruiting and more than anything because of his short comings as a coach.

After 6 years we still see a lack of game preparation all too often, an inability to establish our "fastest 40" brand, and a motion offense that doesn't move

New assistants might bring in better recruits, but I know we don't teach our players the game of basketball. When we win it's because we out athlete a team. You won't ever see us win because we out coached the other team. We'll never be what we're capable of because of this

latrops

Quote from: zuko on February 13, 2017, 10:27:01 pm
I do agree that he will probably get another year because of the 1 mil buyout. I don't think Long would lose a Mil for just one year. Wish I could've lost my job and got that kind of $.

He was extended to 2020 a couple of years ago.  The buyout, whether 3 million or 1 million is all but irrelevant if the PTB want to make a change.  Most of us suspect that they aren't yet on board with replacing CMA.

root_hawg

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Porked Tongue on February 13, 2017, 09:32:06 pm

This will only be a positive if MA fires himself and hires a qualified coach in his place.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Would Corliss joining the staff to replace Watkins be a good move. Brings nba coaching experience, some head coach experience, another personable recruiter like Scotty. Might not be a bad move.

riccoar

With the fact that he is so close to getting 20 wins and has a chance at finishing 4th in the SEC, you can't pull the rug on him.  True, those close to the program are seeing the full 6 years.  Outside of the program, if you fire him, people are going to simply be looking at 2016-2017 season and basing their disbelief on that.

I think there are good classes coming, but I have little faith that Mike knows how to utilize them effectively.

lefty08

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on February 14, 2017, 01:46:54 am
I like Mike and had all the faith that he would have us back as regulars in the big dance. But that faith is gone as he's shown he is not capable of doing that. Partly because of their recruiting and more than anything because of his short comings as a coach.

After 6 years we still see a lack of game preparation all too often, an inability to establish our "fastest 40" brand, and a motion offense that doesn't move

New assistants might bring in better recruits, but I know we don't teach our players the game of basketball. When we win it's because we out athlete a team. You won't ever see us win because we out coached the other team. We'll never be what we're capable of because of this

The only reason we win is by out athletting a team?   LOL
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Biggus Piggus

The AD has to be thinking about what next November will look like. If MA can keep all his targets on board for the early signing period, then Arkansas will have cleared a major hurdle.

If the AD does not feel good about his ability to replace MA with someone who could keep the recruiting pipeline intact, then the AD has no choice but to stay the course.

If MA has to hire some new assistants, it offers him a great opportunity to upgrade and change the direction of his program. Staff decisions helped bring Nolan to his end time at Arkansas. He ended up with nothing but yes men. MA absolutely must avoid that fate. No more ex-Nolan players. His whole system needs an infusion of fresh ideas.
[CENSORED]!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 14, 2017, 07:28:01 am
The AD has to be thinking about what next November will look like. If MA can keep all his targets on board for the early signing period, then Arkansas will have cleared a major hurdle.

If the AD does not feel good about his ability to replace MA with someone who could keep the recruiting pipeline intact, then the AD has no choice but to stay the course.

If MA has to hire some new assistants, it offers him a great opportunity to upgrade and change the direction of his program. Staff decisions helped bring Nolan to his end time at Arkansas. He ended up with nothing but yes men. MA absolutely must avoid that fate. No more ex-Nolan players. His whole system needs an infusion of fresh ideas.

MA's whole system was a fresh idea 30 years ago.  Is MA capable of a whole new system now?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

WilsonHog

Let's say this all comes to pass as Porked has gone on record.

The logical conclusion is that Jeff Long (and/or influential boosters) are not happy. Some change must be made. Mike is too entrenched after a likely 20-win season, so the next best course of action to demonstrate that unhappiness is to cut some assistants loose.

Bet Mike will love that.

Knot2brite

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2017, 07:55:48 am
Let's say this all comes to pass as Porked has gone on record.

The logical conclusion is that Jeff Long (and/or influential boosters) are not happy. Some change must be made. Mike is too entrenched after a likely 20-win season, so the next best course of action to demonstrate that unhappiness is to cut some assistants loose.

Bet Mike will love that.
That's the reason i figure Melvin is gone because he isn't one of the original posse nor is he family. Maybe Zimmerman is tired of his desk job and radio gig and wants to go back to coaching.

The real Hogules

Staff changes - Watkins retires, Zimmerman back on the bench.  lol
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Kevin

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2017, 07:13:26 am
Would Corliss joining the staff to replace Watkins be a good move. Brings nba coaching experience, some head coach experience, another personable recruiter like Scotty. Might not be a bad move.

why does it always have to be a former hog?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Letsroll1200

If true this is good news for the program.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: riccoar on February 14, 2017, 07:22:11 am
With the fact that he is so close to getting 20 wins and has a chance at finishing 4th in the SEC, you can't pull the rug on him.  True, those close to the program are seeing the full 6 years.  Outside of the program, if you fire him, people are going to simply be looking at 2016-2017 season and basing their disbelief on that.

I think there are good classes coming, but I have little faith that Mike knows how to utilize them effectively.

No they wouldn't.  Outsiders, those who even bother to look our way these days, have higher expectations and standards for our program than we do.  You won't find one, not ones who cover basketball at least, who believes Mike has done anything more than underachieve. 

When did 20 wins in a min 32 game season (31+ at least 1) become some minimal goal?

Atlhogfan1

So the Hawks save his job and new assistants begin to do more of the coaching.  He is going outside of the family?  Fastest 40 MOH dead?

hobhog

When he looks at next November, he needs to understand how sideways next year can  get in a hurry,. He loses 3 top seniors and maybe others, and will come back with another young team. We start of slow and BWA will be crickets, other than some ugly chants and posters.

Mike needs to dance this year. I can only imagine the lions waiting at the gate he willl encounter when he hits that tunnel next year if not.

GuvHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2017, 10:08:43 pm

I strongly disagree. Mike needs to totally separate himself from the Nolan era and release every staff member that has any connection at all to Nolan.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!