Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So we have a D cordinator that has no history of running the 3-4 defense

Started by Tweeter, February 13, 2017, 12:24:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

Is this correct?  One of my buddies was telling me this and I want to see if this is true, does anyone know?

hogcam

colbs

gchamblee

Your life will improve if you stop listening to people that don't know what they are talking about.

Tweeter

Quote from: colbs on February 13, 2017, 12:37:52 pm
He coached it one year at Iowa St. 

Okay well my buddy was bad mouthing the hire because he said Rhodes didn't' have any experience at running a 3-4

gchamblee

Quote from: Tweeter on February 13, 2017, 12:43:08 pm
Okay well my buddy was bad mouthing the hire because he said Rhodes didn't' have any experience at running a 3-4

It's Rhoads, and your buddy should join hogville, he would fit right in. Evidence points to Rhoads being a quality DC, a quality recruiter, and he does have experience in both the 3-4 and the 4-3 defense.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on February 13, 2017, 12:47:26 pm
It's Rhoads, and your buddy should join hogville, he would fit right in. Evidence points to Rhoads being a quality DC, a quality recruiter, and he does have experience in both the 3-4 and the 4-3 defense.

220, 221...whatever it takes.

rljjr

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ricepig

woodrow hog call

His buddy may very well already be posting on here, there are several who are still pretty busy poo pooing everything they can every chance they get, facts be darned!
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Sow Lancelot

It's Rhoads, and your buddy should join hogville, he would fit right in since opinions without any necessary support seems to be the MO around here. Evidence points to Rhoads being a quality DC, a quality recruiter, and he does have experience in both the 3-4 and the 4-3 defense.

FIFY
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Tweeter on February 13, 2017, 12:24:05 pm
Is this correct?  One of my buddies was telling me this and I want to see if this is true, does anyone know?

Rhoads isn't an expert with the 3-4. He's for the most part a 4-3 guy except the 1 year, his last year, at Iowa State. Great coordinators don't need a vast knowledge of a scheme. They can adapt. This describes Rhoads. We hired 2 VERY knowledgeable coaches at the positions that pertain to the base of the 3-4. Rhoads will pick both Walker and Scott Jr.'s brains about the schemes needing to be put in place. The defense is in extremely good hands.

Dropkick

We are going to run a hybrid 3-4.

A 3.5 - 3.5 scheme.................okay I just made that up but it sounds innovative right?

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Dropkick on February 13, 2017, 02:45:47 pm
We are going to run a hybrid 3-4.

A 3.5 - 3.5 scheme.................okay I just made that up but it sounds innovative right?

It will look like a 4-3. Just the 4th lineman will be standing instead of hand in the dirt and will be lighter than a regular DE.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 13, 2017, 02:45:07 pm
Rhoads isn't an expert with the 3-4. He's for the most part a 4-3 guy except the 1 year, his last year, at Iowa State. Great coordinators don't need a vast knowledge of a scheme. They can adapt. This describes Rhoads. We hired 2 VERY knowledgeable coaches at the positions that pertain to the base of the 3-4. Rhoads will pick both Walker and Scott Jr.'s brains about the schemes needing to be put in place. The defense is in extremely good hands.
This is what I'm hearing almost word for word. Sounds like you know some of the coaches.

twistitup

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 13, 2017, 03:34:01 pm
This is what I'm hearing almost word for word. Sounds like you know some of the coaches.

I hope we start seeing what we hear
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

NotSoFastMyFriend

The OP's buddy is just like our pass rush last year: Imaginary.

sickboy

For those who are actually interested in understanding the 3-4.

elksnort

Quote from: sickboy on February 13, 2017, 04:54:22 pm

For those who are actually interested in understanding the 3-4.
Damn good stuff Sickboy. Thanks. Wade Phillips keels it simple.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Tweeter on February 13, 2017, 12:24:05 pm
And so what do your buddies say about our DC also bringing in "reinforcements" in the form of assistants who have adequate 3-4 experience? Guess that doesn't fit into his agenda ???

ricepig

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 13, 2017, 05:23:47 pm
Hoping for the best! Can't be worse than last year. Just wish we had better recruiters.

Walker is a very likable guy. It'll carry over into the living room.

ricepig

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 13, 2017, 05:52:58 pm
Walker is a very likable guy. It'll carry over into the living room.

Well, at $375,000/yr, hopefully he can get some of those living room visits to sign on the dotted line.

Fort Dweller

Anybody listen to WP and think Ramsey at will and Greenlaw at Mo?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

#1Fan

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 13, 2017, 06:15:17 pm
Anybody listen to WP and think Ramsey at will and Greenlaw at Mo?
and Ms is Scoota and Sam is the the question mark i think
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 13, 2017, 06:02:01 pm
How was that defense?    ;)

The defense at Iowa State??? I'm pretty sure our athletes now are better than Iowa States athletes then.

LZH

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 13, 2017, 08:58:02 pm
The defense at Iowa State??? I'm pretty sure our athletes now are better than Iowa States athletes then.

I'm pretty sure the athletes we face each week are better than what ISU ever faced then, too.

hogcard1964

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 13, 2017, 08:58:02 pm

Who do we play on a regular basis as opposed to who Iowa State plays?

gchamblee

gchamblee

Quote from: twistitup on February 13, 2017, 04:22:54 pm
I hope we start seeing what we hear

You will continue to twist it up and be a contrarian regardless of what happens.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on February 14, 2017, 06:59:55 am
You will continue to twist it up and be a contrarian regardless of what happens.

Ha! Contrarians. Sounds like a race of evil aliens on Star Trek..... if I get to wear cool uniforms and drink illegal blue chemical beer then sign me up!

Pork Twain

I am pretty sure he was the HC there and not the DC.  Some people are better coordinators than head coaches.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Virgil

It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

Al Boarland

CBB has already flinched.  Now is the time to watch and see if it works. And if it doesn't, what will be his next move?

gchamblee

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 14, 2017, 01:21:04 pm
CBB has already flinched.  Now is the time to watch and see if it works. And if it doesn't, what will be his next move?

He didn't flinch. He made moves to improve a weakness on the team. As long as he is employed here, I expect him to continue his efforts to improve our football team. Your condescending vocabulary when discussing his actions does very little to sway the opinions of those reading you.

factchecker

Quote from: gchamblee on February 14, 2017, 01:34:43 pm
He didn't flinch. He made moves to improve a weakness on the team. As long as he is employed here, I expect him to continue his efforts to improve our football team. Your condescending vocabulary when discussing his actions does very little to sway the opinions of those reading you.

If he didn't make a change then he would have been railroaded for being stubborn and not getting rid of bad employees.

If he makes a change then he "flinched".

darned if you do.  darned if you don't.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

East TN HAWG

Rhodes is coaching the backfield.  How much does the responsibilities of the DB's changes from a 4-3 to a 4-3?  Anyone know? 

factchecker

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 14, 2017, 01:37:59 pm
Rhodes is coaching the backfield.  How much does the responsibilities of the DB's changes from a 4-3 to a 4-3?  Anyone know?

It's dependent on the coverage.

We probably will run a lot of cover 3 but it ultimately depends on the team we are playing.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 14, 2017, 01:37:59 pm

Reggie Mitchell coaches our backfield, I have no idea who Rhodes is. Also, a db's assignment in a 4-3 is identical to his assignment in a 4-3.

Styflin

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on February 13, 2017, 02:45:07 pm

This is correct. CPR said as much during an interview. He admitted he didn't have a lot of experience running the 34. I guess the OP friend listened to the interview. Although coaches not needing to be an expert at a scheme is debatable. It's common sense he will be leaning on the new defensive assistants heavily.

factchecker

Here are examples of different coverage schemes from a 3-4 look:

Cover 2 -

Cover 2 Man -

Cover 3  (Sky) -

If you drop two safeties and 1 corner deep it is know as cloud.

Cover 3 (zone blitz) -

Quarters (cover 4)  -

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

The_Bionic_Pig

That's why he brought in people who specialize in incorporating the 3-4 instead of focusing on the best available recruiters....he's aware of what's redshirted and arriving on campus and wants to get the most out of it.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

gchamblee

Quote from: factchecker on February 14, 2017, 01:57:46 pm
Here are examples of different coverage schemes from a 3-4 look:

Cover 2 -

Cover 2 Man -

Cover 3  (Sky) -

If you drop two safeties and 1 corner deep it is know as cloud.

Cover 3 (zone blitz) -

Quarters (cover 4)  -

You know a lot more than I do about defensive alignments and such. I envy your knowledge. When I play Madden with my kid, I always just got the best corners with speed and jam stats, and played man cover the entire time while trying to stop the run. It usually worked if the corners were fast and jammed the receivers at the line of scrimmage. Also, it was nice to get a defensive line that was so big the pads looked like bikini armor on them :)

factchecker

Quote from: gchamblee on February 14, 2017, 02:03:20 pm
You know a lot more than I do about defensive alignments and such. I envy your knowledge. When I play Madden with my kid, I always just got the best corners with speed and jam stats, and played man cover the entire time while trying to stop the run. It usually worked if the corners were fast and jammed the receivers at the line of scrimmage. Also, it was nice to get a defensive line that was so big the pads looked like bikini armor on them :)

My knowledge doesn't help with Madden at all. My nephews kick my butt all the time.

When it comes to video games I'm old school.  This is the best football game of all time:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS