Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is missing from Razorback athletics?

Started by lutherheggs, February 10, 2017, 10:31:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 10:59:02 am
Oh I'm not a sad sack, just adding a little balance and maybe even a little levity, as it were.

Actually, the fact that our football and basketball teams are average doesn't really even get under my skin as much as those people willing to be OK with it, and that includes our AD.

Now this is more like it. You live in the land of sun and bikinis, so there is no way a lost football game would ruin that.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Piggfoot

Arkansas reached the Peter principle when joining the SEC. Yes we make more money by basically being the sacrificial lamb for the upper level SEC team or teams. After all they have to have someone to beat to have the records they have.
Arkansas' record against SEC schools have been at the 50% level forever and it is only that good because of the Mississippi schools. I don't see it getting any better.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: code red on February 10, 2017, 11:33:58 am
Those weren't close....there was no doubt in the middle of the 4th qtr who would win.  Play horse shoes much?

Did you have any doubt that TCU would win as they lined up for the FG?

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 11:30:15 am
True. Someone like myself will look at the almost 9 win side of it. I prefer going through life as a glass half full kind of person.

Looking at it from the we almost won only 3 wins is a glass half empty. Have you ever been around a glass half empty person for very long? It gets old as everything is hopeless.

All a matter of how you look at life.  ;D

I am in the recliner with my feet propped up and on the table next to me is a half glass of ice water. I don't see it as " I have a half glass of ice water so I have plenty"....I see it as " I have a half glass of ice water so I need to get off my ass and go put a handful of ice cubes and some more water in it because I am about to run low".

Same way with gas in the truck. If I have a half tank I am already starting to think about pulling in a gas station. Impatience.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 10, 2017, 11:00:19 am
I agree and I disagree. The outrage set in specifically when the 3, not 2, bad losses in football occurred: Auburn, Missouri and the bowl game. But that is not enough to explain it by itself. What happens then is it gives a fan a reason to take a look back at what has happened over a longer period. That fan then realizes the team has gone to only low level bowls and never won more than 7 games in regular season under the current head coach and the team has been embarrassed many times on the field - worst losing streak ever, worst conference defeat ever, constantly snatching defeat from jaws of victory, etc. The fan further realizes that the fired coach was the best thing that had happened to Arkansas football since Lou Holtz (if they even know who Holtz is since that was 35 years ago) and wonders how that happened to Arkansas and that we must be snake bit. So it is not as knee jerk a fan reaction as you make it out to be.

You soften what has happened by referring to what could be with phrases like, "sneak into..." and "came closer than people realize..."
Reality is that those things did not and will not occur. Hogs are not going to the NCAAT barring a literal miracle turnabout. "Coming close" is not getting there. Going to a bowl is not that satisfying for many fans if it is the Liberty and Texas bowls and similar, especially if you do not win it.

As for the basketball team, I do not see how anyone could, with a straight face, given the attendance levels and results, say the basketball program has been anything less than a total dumpster fire since 2001 relative to the period from '75 to '01.

You are wrapping too much of your life to the Hogs.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 11:35:43 am
You show me one spot in this thread where I trump'd a fact. I'll wait.

That the truth, you didn't trump any facts!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 11:06:59 am
Well, technically, it would have taken 3 scores by the other teams to lose those three games, but since we lost to VT by 11 points it would have taken 3 scores to win that and the Mizzou games. So actually 3 = 3.....new math.

And that is why your company is being audited.  ;)

Razorbackers

Quote from: code red on February 10, 2017, 11:33:58 am
Those weren't close....there was no doubt in the middle of the 4th qtr who would win.  Play horse shoes much?

4 points and 11 points, with a TD scored late because of an INT.

I'd say those are pretty close.

And no, I don't play horse shoes much...am I being set up for something here?

KennyForAD

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 11:23:17 am
That's not blaming the internet. That's saying that the sky is falling attitude is mostly located on the internet. By people. Online. AOL.

This is exactly backwards.  Maybe you're in college and the atmosphere is different, but my impression is that 'the everything is fine' people are ONLY on the internet.   The only time (since the collapse) that I've ever encountered people, in person, with the belief that the Hogs would be great again was when we had Petrino.   And for a few weeks in 1998.   

You are EXACTLY backwards.  The only place the Sunshine Pumpers exist is online.   

The 'sky is falling crowd' ...   Uh, the sky DID fall, a long time ago when Hatfield left for Clemson.  EVERYONE knows it - except paid promoters like R.S. and that dude that calls the games, and some anonymous pumpers online.

jkstock04

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 11:37:03 am
You are wrapping too much of your life to the Hogs.
Easy to say for someone living a few states away.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 11:37:01 am
I am in the recliner with my feet propped up and on the table next to me is a half glass of ice water. I don't see it as " I have a half glass of ice water so I have plenty"....I see it as " I have a half glass of ice water so I need to get off my ass and go put a handful of ice cubes and some more water in it because I am about to run low".

Same way with gas in the truck. If I have a half tank I am already starting to think about pulling in a gas station. Impatience.

That's what the wife/woman is for, that and to make you a sammich while she's in the kitchen.

Kevin

a leader who wants to win on the court, or field.

our athletic director is more interested in players have the graduate patch on their uniforms than winning.

and collecting every cent he can.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorbackers

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 10, 2017, 11:39:32 am
This is exactly backwards.  Maybe you're in college and the atmosphere is different, but my impression is that 'the everything is fine' people are ONLY on the internet.   The only time I've ever encountered people, in person, with the belief that the Hogs would be great again in person was when we had Petrino.   

You are EXACTLY backwards.  The only place the Sunshine Pumpers exist is online.   

Why would the atmosphere be different in college? lol

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 10, 2017, 11:30:52 am
Life's hope? Good Lord. Amazing to watch folks read something that is not there. No one has said anything about hope for their life. You either wanted to make a sensational comment and pat yourself on your back or you are not very good at reading in context.

I'm not the one starting a thread about fans having a lack of hope. Yes, to me your post reads as someone tying a sports team to their life. You sound like Eiyore.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Kevin on February 10, 2017, 11:41:26 am
a leader who wants to win on the court, or field.

our athletic director is more interested in players have the graduate patch on their uniforms than winning.

and collecting every cent he can.

Haikus are supposed to be 5-7-5

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 10, 2017, 11:32:54 am
I can tell you that this thread will further deteriorate if you and I continue to respond to posters like Razorbackers and Chitownhog. Getting them to recognize facts or see reality is like trying to tell a democrat their thinking is not the only way to go.

I never disputed your facts. I told you to get a life. Big difference.  ;)

But I will refrain from commenting on your posts. Well maybe. :)

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 11:35:44 am
Now this is more like it. You live in the land of sun and bikinis, so there is no way a lost football game would ruin that.  ;D

Now you know that there isn't a happier ol bastard than me. And BTW, what is this damn fascination with boiled peanuts down here?

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 11:39:41 am
That's what the wife/woman is for, that and to make you a sammich while she's in the kitchen.

I've got her butt at the office making bank so I can put my feet up in peace.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 11:41:44 am
Why would the atmosphere be different in college? lol

I'm sure its not.  Was just trying to think of some way it could be possible for someone to think that negativity is only an online thing.   

Razorbackers

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 11:45:17 am
Now you know that there isn't a happier ol bastard than me. And BTW, what is this damn fascination with boiled peanuts down here?

Asking the right questions. Of all the ways to peanut, that is easily the worst.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 10, 2017, 11:39:33 am
Easy to say for someone living a few states away.

Why is that? It is about a mindset not geography.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 11:43:35 am
Haikus are supposed to be 5-7-5

AD no winner

only cares about classroom

and collecting cents
[CENSORED]!

Razorbackers

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 10, 2017, 11:47:09 am
I'm sure its not.  Was just trying to think of some way it could be possible for someone to think that negativity is only an online thing.   

As I said, the sky is falling attitude, imo, is mostly located online. A place where, myself included, hyperbole reigns and logic wains. (is that the correct conjugation for waining? idk)

I'm sure you've encountered lots of people that think we're screwed in every sense of the word.

I haven't.

So, anecdotally...we're both equally right and wrong? Schrodinger's pessimism.

Razorbackers

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 11:50:27 am
As I said, the sky is falling attitude, imo, is mostly located online. A place where, myself included, hyperbole reigns and logic wains. (is that the correct conjugation for waining? idk)

I'm sure you've encountered lots of people that think we're screwed in every sense of the word.

I haven't.

The cat is dead, bruh.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbackers

jkstock04

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 11:48:09 am
Why is that? It is about a mindset not geography.
If I lived 600 miles away and never attended sporting events it would be a hell of a lot easier not to care. Out of sight out of mind. I don't just go to football games...I go to baseball games sometimes, basketball now and then (despite the depression of going)...even the track meets I go to. Planning on being there tomorrow.

Point is, the Razorbacks are only show in town and ya it can be quite the hobby for some people. I do take a bit of an issue when the "glass half full" people ridicule those who make the Razorbacks sporting events a part of their lives. See that quite a bit on here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

I haven't.

You are correct.  Go to any online message board or read the replies on social media and you feel like a good portion of our fans not only are apathetic but hate the Razorbacks (or at least the current regime of coaches and administration).  Everything is met with sarcasm.  Anything positive is shot down and mocked.  The replies to the stadium expansion alone were astounding.  There were fans blaming poor wages at Wal-Mart on the stadium expansion.

If you were to let yourself wallow in the muck of online pessimism you would feel that the Razorback world is coming to an end.

You want to remedy that feeling?  Go to a football game.  Fans are still packing DWRRS.  When we give them reason - the fans go absolutely nuts and support the program.

https://twitter.com/dj45williams/status/787487490277904384

https://twitter.com/ElvisMoyaUA/status/787489485768445952

Continued disappointment will temper positive feelings but it will not kill it.  Razorback fans have been though a lot.  There are some fans who hope and pray that everyone would be just as apathetic or negative as them.  The truth is that all it takes is a spark of hope and the majority will be right back on the bandwagon.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

KennyForAD

I haven't.

No.  That's not the attitude.  Not what we're saying at all.  Hope and Love for the Hogs is always there.  In the 70's and 80's fans believed that the Hogs were for real in football and could beat anyone - correctly.  From the 70's through the mid 90's, fans believed the Hogs could beat anyone - correctly.  That attitude and excitement has not existed since - with the exception of the Petrino era when it started to come back.   

If you were paying attention when Petrino started rolling, then you saw a glimpse of what it was like all the time, for decades.   To think that the attitude of the fanbase for the past 20 years is not vastly different than before (as the OP pointed out) is just..black and white, up and down 100% for certain... wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 11:45:17 am

Well, as my good friend told me before I got married eons ago, "it's not what she's making while working, it's what she can't be out spending". Of course, this was before Al Gore invented the interwebs.....

LZH

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 11:47:36 am
Asking the right questions. Of all the ways to peanut, that is easily the worst.

Never have tried em....doesn't even sound good.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 12:08:02 pm
Well, as my good friend told me before I got married eons ago, "it's not what she's making while working, it's what she can't be out spending". Of course, this was before Al Gore invented the interwebs.....

True....but I've been guilty of that myself lol.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 12:08:02 pm

Leading candidate for post of the day! Well done Rice.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Razorbackers

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 12:09:16 pm
Never have tried em....doesn't even sound good.

They're kinda slimy and salty.

Slimy and Salty nuts.

DON'T BAN ME.

wachhog

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 10, 2017, 10:31:53 am
A brief, general observation that is based on watching Razorback football and basketball since the mid '70's and being a U of A grad.

In the past 40+ years, there has never been such a high level of hopelessness regarding Arkansas Razorback football and basketball as there is currently. So that is the observation...hope, or optimism, seems to missing from a good percentage of the fanbase, or what is left of it. I'm not sure the fanbase is what it has always been. The past 20 years have not been good to Razorback football or basketball and the children coming of age in that time know both sports at the U of A as being mediocre at best. And they have grown up on tv, video/pc games, electronic social media, and smart phones - athletics not as much a part of their lives as it was for those of us who grew up in the '60's and '70's.

I know this will get some disagreement but I see this lack of care, hope and optimism among my friends and family who have always followed the Razorbacks. Many I know think the production of the last 20 years is what the programs will see for the foreseeable future, i.e., the rest of their lives. Thus, they are not that interested in attending games or buying season tickets anymore. Certainly not interested in making large contributions to the RF and buying season tickets on top of that.
As far as football goes, I think many fans realize that, given Arkansas' perennial recruiting challenges, a CEO-type coach won't cut it. Especially one who cannot hire and/or retain genius-type assistants.  It will take an innovative,  entrepreneurial-type head coach to succeed at Arkansas, IMO. That isn't what we have in Bielema.

code red

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 11:36:53 am
Did you have any doubt that TCU would win as they lined up for the FG?
Close losses was the category.  Not close wins. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: code red on February 10, 2017, 12:19:00 pm
Close losses was the category.  Not close wins. 

I didn't think you would answer it.

KennyForAD

Someone said above ... 'winning.'   That's right.  No question.  But there's another element.  For a long time, for decades, the Hogs were a top football program and a truly elite basketball program.   How many schools have top programs in both sports?  Not many.  We did for a long time .. then all of a sudden, football went off a cliff, then basketball.  Then, finally, we got the Houston Nutt albatross off our neck and looked like we'd be great again... then BAM.  Right over another cliff. 

To me, its unbelievable that people act as if they don't understand the 'negativity.'  Really, its quite understandable.   Throw on top of that that our basketball program was on par with Kentucky and N. Carolina .. then we mistreated our HOF coach, which clearly offended the basketball gods who have been punishing us since.   What if N. Carolina's coach quit tomorrow and sued them for racial discrimination - and their program sucked forever more?  You think their fans might be a little pissed?

EVERY Hog fan has earned a great deal of negativity.  Its really surprising that we are as optimistic as we are.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

KennyForAD

If you want to try to fix basketball, move the games back to Barnhill for one season.  Make the seating general admission and free of charge to students.  Get some life back in the program.  Then re-open BWA and move the blue hairs and put the students court-side where they belong.

ricepig

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 10, 2017, 12:41:53 pm
If you want to try to fix basketball, move the games back to Barnhill for one season.  Make the seating general admission and free of charge to students.  Get some life back in the program.  Then re-open BWA and move the blue hairs and put the students court-side where they belong.

Something tells me that the $88 charged for the student athletic pass isn't keeping students from attending the games.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KennyForAD on February 10, 2017, 12:41:53 pm

You should be posting about basetball...........................being out in left field as you are. 

Next1_04

Quote from: LZH on February 10, 2017, 10:51:20 am
The sunshine boys are out in droves today. Good opportunity for guys like us to have some fun lol.

Last time I looked out the window today here in Central Arkansas, the Sunshine it quite bright! Phenomenal observation good sir! +1

lutherheggs

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 10, 2017, 11:42:27 am
I'm not the one starting a thread about fans having a lack of hope. Yes, to me your post reads as someone tying a sports team to their life. You sound like Eiyore.
I see I hit a nerve. Two comments telling me this from you.

I will try not to be too insightful and observant in the future so as not to upset your type and have you tell us how great your life is and how you do not place importance on things that really do not matter in life. I'm sure you are here replying because you need to make sure no one takes this too seriously. Thanks very much.

As for me, I do not attend any Razorback games anymore, never watch basketball games, and watch only a few Razorback football games on tv each season. My life revolves around certain things but colleges athletics is not one of them.

ricepig

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 10, 2017, 01:15:55 pm

I will try not to be too insightful and observant in the future so as not to upset your type and have you tell us how great your life is and how you do not place importance on things that really do not matter in life. I'm sure you are here replying because you need to make sure no one takes this too seriously. Thanks very much.

As for me, I do not attend any Razorback games anymore, never watch basketball games, and watch only a few Razorback football games on tv each season. My life revolves around certain things but colleges athletics is not one of them.

Cool, you're just here for the free drinks, I assume?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 10, 2017, 01:15:55 pm

You wish I was upset, but you be wrong. That is strike two - care to go for three?  ;D

PonderinHog

I haven't.

Wanes.

Where are these free drinks?   >:(

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 10, 2017, 12:13:00 pm
They're kinda slimy and salty.

Slimy and Salty nuts.

DON'T BAN ME.

Salty, yes. Slimy? Must have been a bad batch.  ;)

Razorbackers

PonderinHog

Razorbackers