Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Tournament or Bowl Game?

Started by Youngsta71701, February 10, 2017, 10:22:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it easier to make the NCAA basketball tournament or make a bowl game?

Bowl game
136 (82.9%)
NCAA tournament
28 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 164

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2017, 08:37:28 am
21 teams have done that since going to 18 games for the 2012-13 season, not counting this season, so an average of 5 teams per season reach at least 11 sec wins.

You like throwing out averages..  UK is 5 of the 21, that means the other 13 schools have done it 16 times in this time frame... UF only twice...

Didn't check my facts here but thought I read we have the 3rd best record in SEC since the start of 18 game schedule, UK, UF, Ark?  and aren't we one of only 3 teams without a losing record in a seasons?  UK, OM, ARK....

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 14, 2017, 09:05:59 am
You like throwing out averages..  UK is 5 of the 21, that means the other 13 schools have done it 16 times in this time frame... UF only twice...

Didn't check my facts here but thought I read we have the 3rd best record in SEC since the start of 18 game schedule, UK, UF, Ark?  and aren't we one of only 3 teams without a losing record in a seasons?  UK, OM, ARK....

We weren't third before the current SEC season started. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 14, 2017, 09:05:59 am

No one asked about what teams, they just asked how often it has been done.  Also, so what if you have the 3rd best record when it only results in one ncaat appearance, this isn't golf where finishing 5th all the time makes you rich.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2017, 09:09:57 am
No one asked about what teams, they just asked how often it has been done.  Also, so what if you have the 3rd best record when it only results in one ncaat appearance, this isn't golf where finishing 5th all the time makes you rich.

Your post was about how easy it was to win 11, 12 per year in the SEC.. facts don't bear that out... if so, Bama, A&M, UF would be doing it.. they don't...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2017, 09:09:57 am

We didn't.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 14, 2017, 09:08:23 am
We weren't third before the current SEC season started.

I said HAVE but thanks for the qualifier.... the games this year don't count.. I got you....

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 14, 2017, 09:13:25 am
Your post was about how easy it was to win 11, 12 per year in the SEC.. facts don't bear that out... if so, Bama, A&M, UF would be doing it.. they don't...

Well UF is doing it, but that also just bears out how bad the SEC is, yet the Hogs still can't rise above that to win enough to consistently make the NCAAT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2017, 09:31:08 am
Well UF is doing it, but that also just bears out how bad the SEC is, yet the Hogs still can't rise above that to win enough to consistently make the NCAAT.

UF has a 9-9 and an 8-10 in the last 4 completed season.. so no, they are not doing it either..

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 14, 2017, 09:26:39 am
I said HAVE but thanks for the qualifier.... the games this year don't count.. I got you....

No dumbass.  I haven't looked at it since before the season when one of your group tried to pass this off. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 14, 2017, 09:35:50 am
No dumbass.  I haven't looked at it since before the season when one of your group tried to pass this off.

Ha Ha Ha.. childish name calling... NICE...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 14, 2017, 09:40:23 am
Ha Ha Ha.. childish name calling... NICE...

If someone is actually keeping up with this and stating it to prop up what is happening, it reeks of desperation. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 14, 2017, 09:41:42 am
If someone is actually keeping up with this and stating it to prop up what is happening, it reeks of desperation.

I only presented ACTUAL numbers to show Hogsanity made a statement that had no basis in fact.. I know the 2 of you spew crap with out facts and I presented a few.. you are right about one thing, there's desperation here...

Though it is fun to pump out stats and history, it really doesn't matter.  We are in the NCAA, the SEC and we try and play Basketball.  I really do not care if the new requirements to make the top 68 teams is zero losses, period, I fully expect us to make the tourney.  We should be in the NCAA annually with failing maybe once every 15 to 20 years or not at all.  No horseshit, no excuses, just go earn your money and go to the tourney.

DeltaBoy

Bowl win 6+ and your generally in.  :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 12247 on February 14, 2017, 09:51:48 am
Though it is fun to pump out stats and history, it really doesn't matter.  We are in the NCAA, the SEC and we try and play Basketball.  I really do not care if the new requirements to make the top 68 teams is zero losses, period, I fully expect us to make the tourney.  We should be in the NCAA annually with failing maybe once every 15 to 20 years or not at all.  No horseshit, no excuses, just go earn your money and go to the tourney.
If some people can't be realistic they just shouldn't say anything at all...SMDH... I know you were trying to make a point but try not to get too carried away... ;D
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

PorkSoda

look we have the resources to be a top 25 team in both football and basketball. 

it shouldn't really be a question for us.   but for whatever reason it is, and that is the reality we live in.

the question isn't where we should be, the question is how are we going to get there.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

gchamblee

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 02:13:38 pm
If some people can't be realistic they just shouldn't say anything at all...SMDH... I know you were trying to make a point but try not to get too carried away... ;D

The dude is 70 years old and posting regularly on a message board on the internet. He has never said anything that I agree with, but I respect any 70 year old sourpuss that can get on the internet and hammer away at his keyboard.

gchamblee

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 14, 2017, 02:17:53 pm
look we have the resources to be a top 25 team in both football and basketball. 

it shouldn't really be a question for us.   but for whatever reason it is, and that is the reality we live in.

the question isn't where we should be, the question is how are we going to get there.

I agree with the notion that we should be top 25 in both basketball and football. I hope our current coaching staffs can figure it out soon, it feels like we are really close.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: gchamblee on February 14, 2017, 02:19:44 pm
The dude is 70 years old and posting regularly on a message board on the internet. He has never said anything that I agree with, but I respect any 70 year old sourpuss that can get on the internet and hammer away at his keyboard.
Indeed... ;D ...much respect.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hobhog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 14, 2017, 02:19:44 pm

I agree with him. And I'm only 55.

gchamblee

Quote from: hobhog on February 14, 2017, 03:59:46 pm

intelligence, or the absence of, is not exclusive to any particular age group.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hobhog on February 14, 2017, 03:59:46 pm

His experience shows with a lot of these posters.

shown006

Look at the SEC West....13/14 teams in the West the past 2 years ('15-'16/'16-'17) have made a bowl...only Ole Miss didn't make one this year.  In the same division the past two years, 1 team out of 14 has made it to the NCAA basketball tourney, Texas A & M.  I doubt it jumps to 2 after this year...but there is a slight chance that happens.
WPS!

Rome26

It's much easier to make a bowl game than it is to make the tourney. Making the tourney is the equivalent to making a middle pack bowl like the cotton or peach bowl.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 02:13:38 pm

What exactly do you find wrong with that post.  We actually did what he said or pretty dang close for about 25 years.  Arkansas is serious about basketball and the fact that people show they stil care after 15 years of crap is pretty amazing.  Win and the fans will come back to BWA!

Rome26

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 16, 2017, 11:56:57 pm
What exactly do you find wrong with that post.  We actually did what he said or pretty dang close for about 25 years.  Arkansas is serious about basketball and the fact that people show they stil care after 15 years of crap is pretty amazing.  Win and the fans will come back to BWA!

If we were serious about basketball the fans never would have stopped coming in the first place. The football team has been mostly mediocre over the last 20 years yet the fans still show up.

NaturalStateReb

A bowl game.  It's not even close.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

yraciv

So that settles it. 17% of our fanbase is delusional

The percentage of teams that make it in college basketball is far less. Not to mention, college football is so much easier to just out class your opponent when you have a roster of 85 scholarship players with the majority of players more talented than midmajors. College basketball upsets happen every night, due to hot shooting, one guy going off, etc, and not so much in football. It's simple math, and it isn't really that close.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Rome26 on February 17, 2017, 09:14:22 am
If we were serious about basketball the fans never would have stopped coming in the first place. The football team has been mostly mediocre over the last 20 years yet the fans still show up.

It works two ways, give them something to show up for and they will.   We still outdraw all but a few teams but we just barely outdraw our baseball team...and who's serious about baseball.  Just win(and look halfway good doing it)and there is no reason we can't.

HognitiveDissonance

It's a little easier to make 'a' bowl.
Do the math.
There are 68 teams in March Madness.
There are appx 40 bowl games, representing 80 teams.

That means there are about a half dozen bowl games that could be considered 'NIT' bowls. Bowls like the Humanitarian, Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Birmingham, etc.

Each bowl has a pecking order. The 'Final 4' this year had their bowls. Below that were Rose, Cotton, etc. You can go on down the line and correlate each bowl to a certain 'seed' in the NCAA Tournament.

Arkansas's appearance in the Belk Bowl would probably correlate to a 9 or 10 seed in March Madness.

hawgwild child

We need to also realize there is 32 qualifiers in the NCAA tournament and 1 being the sec. So you would subtract 31 from the 68 before you actually start any math.  37 at large bids are given to the remaining nom conference winners

The_Iceman

Making a bowl game is the equivalent of making an NCAA Tournament OR the NIT.

The_Iceman

What percentage of teams are RANKED that Bret Bielema faces? 

What about percentage of conference opponents that are ranked?

Compare that to Mike Anderson in basketball.