Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scouting Texas A&M... Emphasis on Run Defense

Started by HogWildBison2011, March 25, 2016, 12:29:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWildBison2011

It appears that Sumlin has hired the previous DL coach from MSU (SEC) to coach the defensive line and run defense coordinator. (http://www.12thman.com/news/2016/3/4/football-sumlin-hires-turner-to-oversee-texas-am-dts-run-game-defense.aspx?path=football)

With Chavis cementing his system with a relatively deep looking DL group you wouldn't think rushing defense would be an issue. Last season A&M came in at 103rd in the nation in rushing defense. I am curious to see with the addition of Turner and his "platoon" system on the DL if they will see any improvement. They lose seniors Alonzo Williams and Julien Obioha that accounted for 31% total tackles on the DL. Statistically Arkansas won the last game in every category except for the important ones: Score and Turnovers. Arkansas outgained them on offense, held the ball for 19 minutes longer than they did. Also, they were statistically better on 3rd down conversions, but 0-2 on 4th down.

On another note, "yards" wise A&M came in at 4th in the nation when defending the pass.

Texas A&M Run Stats (http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense) ranked 103rd last season.

Recent Spring Press Conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvzo2nW5s8

Spring Football Roster
86   David Darley   DE   6-4   240   Jr.   SQ   Westlake Village, Calif. / Oaks Christian   
5   Daylon Mack   DL   6-1   335   So.   1L   Gladewater, Texas / Gladewater   
9   Qualen Cunningham DL   6-3   240   Jr.   2L   Chandler, Ariz. / Hamilton   
10   Daeshon Hall      DL   6-6   260   Sr.   3L   Seattle, Wash. / Lancaster [TX]   
13   Reggie Chevis   DL   6-1   290   Jr.   1L   Houston, Texas / Sharpstown   
15   Myles Garrett   DL   6-5   262   Jr.   2L   Arlington, Texas / Martin   
40   Jarrett Johnson   DL   6-3   260   Jr.   2L   Katy, Texas / Seven Lakes   
53   Ben Huskinson   DL   6-3   230   Jr.   SQ   Houston, Texas / Strake Jesuit   
59   Isaac Flores   DL   6-3   300   Sr.   SQ   Santa Rosa, Texas / Santa Rosa   
59   Cameron Knight   DL   6-3   253   So.   RS   Shallowater, Texas / Shallowater   
60   Landry Estes   DL   6-2   245   So.   RS   Trophy Club, Texas / Byron Nelson   
88   Kingsley Keke     DL   6-3   315   So.   1L   Richmond, Texas / George Ranch   
92   Zaycoven Henderson DL 6-1   300   Jr.   2L   Longview, Texas / Longview   
98   Hardreck Walker   DL   6-2   290   Sr.   3L   Spring, Texas / Westfield   
99   James Lockhart   DL   6-3   260   So.   1L   Ennis, Texas / Ennis

Not including 2016 FR
Justin Madubuike 6'3 250 SDE
Alton Robinson 6'3 235 WDE

*29 days until the Arkansas Spring Game*

MuskogeeHogFan

I think it is hard to say how good the A&M defensive line will be this coming year but they should be improved.

They lose 66 career starts (tied for the most in the SEC West with Ole Miss) but they only lose 36 tackles (18.2%) from a total of 197.5 last year. They also only lose 9.5 TFL (14.7%) out of 64.5 and 2.5 Sacks (9.6%) out of 26 total Sacks.

When you consider that A&M led the SEC West in TFL and Sacks last season, I think it certainly indicates that they have a lot of productivity returning despite losing 2 guys out of their rotation.

This will be the second year for Chavis with this defense so everyone should be more familiar with their assignments and the addition of David Turner may help their run defense in 2016.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

March 25, 2016, 09:27:39 am #2 Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:46:26 am by Hoggish1
Good stuff.  Score > Turnovers

We will beat them this year with a punishing ground game that they won't be able to stop and a D front that will not give their QB time to hit receivers who will be well covered anyway, on the rare occasion he has time.

Sumlin gone after 2016 season...

SouthTulsaHog

I remember the MSU game and we couldn't do anything on the ground. I'm not sure what they were running but they D-lineman in the backfield all night long it seemed.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on March 25, 2016, 03:21:03 pm
I remember the MSU game and we couldn't do anything on the ground. I'm not sure what they were running but they D-lineman in the backfield all night long it seemed.

They loaded up to stop our rushing game, trying to make us one-dimensional and hoping BA couldn't beat them with his arm. Except for a blocked FG at the Miss State 19 with 40 seconds left, they were wrong. A missed blocking assignment caused the game to turn out to be 51-50 miss St., instead of 53-51 Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

azhog10

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 25, 2016, 08:37:34 pm
They loaded up to stop our rushing game, trying to make us one-dimensional and hoping BA couldn't beat them with his arm. Except for a blocked FG at the Miss State 19 with 40 seconds left, they were wrong. A missed blocking assignment caused the game to turn out to be 51-50 miss St., instead of 53-51 Arkansas.
Shouldve been 57-51. Dumbest call I've seen CBB make since he's been here IMO.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 25, 2016, 09:27:39 am
Good stuff.  Score > Turnovers

We will beat them this year with a punishing ground game that they won't be able to stop and a D front that will not give their QB time to hit receivers who will be well covered anyway, on the rare occasion he has time.

Sumlin gone after 2016 season...

Beyond better if he doesn't.
With the chaos and discord there, I hope he stays.
Kind of like Leslie Miles.

Unlike Miles, I think Sumlin can coach and definitely recruit, but he apparently has problems with player management and maintaining esprit de corps.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on March 25, 2016, 03:21:03 pm

Gave you your first +1.
So don't embarrassed me.
;)
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

presidenthog

Quote from: azhog10 on March 25, 2016, 11:23:05 pm
Shouldve been 57-51. Dumbest call I've seen CBB make since he's been here IMO.
agreed. he also apparently agrees as well. he said at TD clubs that if we don't find a competent kicker and blocking unit we will be going on 4th down alot. just like he should have against MSU.

Iwastherein1969

I'm as tired of hearing about THE GREAT JOHN CHAVIS as much as CBB got tired of hearing about playing at Death Valley in Baton Rouge during LSU game week last season. You guys have to remember, the last two seasons we have beaten Aggy up and down the field and shot ourselves in the foot, (literally one time with Skipper tripping a guy when JWill had us on Aggy 1 yard line)....not even the GREAT JOHN CHAVIS can change 'Aggy being Aggy' as this is as constant as the Second Law of Thermodynamics. They are one of the, if not the greatest choking program of all time. And yet, some of you guys think when Aggy takes the field, Belichick, Brady and Gronkowski are wearing that 'god awful' maroon. Relax, we're going to run them off the field this year.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 27, 2016, 01:05:42 am
I'm as tired of hearing about THE GREAT JOHN CHAVIS as much as CBB got tired of hearing about playing at Death Valley in Baton Rouge during LSU game week last season. You guys have to remember, the last two seasons we have beaten Aggy up and down the field and shot ourselves in the foot, (literally one time with Skipper tripping a guy when JWill had us on Aggy 1 yard line)....not even the GREAT JOHN CHAVIS can change 'Aggy being Aggy' as this is as constant as the Second Law of Thermodynamics. They are one of the, if not the greatest choking program of all time. And yet, some of you guys think when Aggy takes the field, Belichick, Brady and Gronkowski are wearing that 'god awful' maroon. Relax, we're going to run them off the field this year.

That's funny and all, but Chavis is pretty good and given the time to get the players that he wants and needs, I feel pretty sure that he is capable of Coordinating a pretty good defense whether it be for A&M or someone else. His biggest challenge is going to be his Secondary this year where they will lose 50% of their PBU's and 90% of their INT's. Let's keep in mind that they only lose 2 D-Linemen and none of their LB's. His defense will probably see the field a lot more than last year unless A&M finds a pretty salty QB to unite their offense.
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.