Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VIII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 02, 2014, 01:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jrulz83

Well, Taveras rolled his left ankle tonight, he previously injured his right:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/taveras-day-to-day-after-rolling-left-ankle/article_0f3082c6-25b1-549a-9521-66c5537e8d93.html

Day to day, I bet they play this one with extreme caution.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

Good win tonight. I'm a little worried about Rosie though. He was pretty wild.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 22, 2014, 09:23:10 pm

Yup, Rosenthal has issues that he better get worked out, or the ninth is going to be interesting all year. Hopefully Motte's return is imminent, and he can settle things down in the bullpen.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 22, 2014, 08:33:39 pm
Well, Taveras rolled his left ankle tonight, he previously injured his right:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/taveras-day-to-day-after-rolling-left-ankle/article_0f3082c6-25b1-549a-9521-66c5537e8d93.html

Day to day, I bet they play this one with extreme caution.

I'm really starting to think he's gonna be a big flameout.

The Hogfather

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 22, 2014, 09:23:10 pm

I was thinking the same thing last night.  It is a little worrisome, for sure.

jrulz83

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 23, 2014, 01:45:37 am
I'm really starting to think he's gonna be a big flameout.

Nah, it's just been a rough patch with the ankle injuries. The guy can hit, but with Piscotty, Butler, and Grichuk hitting like they are right now it does make you wonder. Piscotty is hitting over .350 and Grichuk is over .330, Butler a crisp .426. That's three scary hitters to face right now.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 23, 2014, 08:39:49 am
Nah, it's just been a rough patch with the ankle injuries. The guy can hit, but with Piscotty, Butler, and Grichuk hitting like they are right now it does make you wonder. Piscotty is hitting over .350 and Grichuk is over .330, Butler a crisp .426. That's three scary hitters to face right now.

His physical ability has never been in doubt. I think what has been holding him back has been a lack of maturity. Now, he's skittish about his ankles.

jrulz83

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 23, 2014, 10:58:53 am
His physical ability has never been in doubt. I think what has been holding him back has been a lack of maturity. Now, he's skittish about his ankles.

You're absolutely right; he's young, but the Cardinals are in the enviable position of being able to wait on him. Taveras is evidently very good and when he's ready he'll impact the big club, but not before he's able to play with confidence in his ankles and everything else.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 23, 2014, 08:39:49 am

The way the Cards are hitting they may want to call all of them up. 5 runs in 4 games is pitiful.

jrulz83

Quote from: WMHawgfan on April 24, 2014, 04:28:58 pm
The way the Cards are hitting they may want to call all of them up. 5 runs in 4 games is pitiful.

Hahaha! No kidding, and Gerrit Cole and Liriano to look forward to in Pittsburgh. UGH! It'll get better, at least Lynn has pitched well in his last two starts.

pigture perfect

I'll be glad when this stupid road trip is over.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Boar War

Well Peralta had a nice day.  Hopefully he can carry on.  Really wish Bourjos could find his bat.  I had high hopes that he could be our everyday center fielder.

pigture perfect

The Bourjous trade just made Jon Jay better. I hope John Mabry can get PB and Jay (my nickname for our platoon CF) to both hit better.

The Hogfather

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 27, 2014, 11:33:12 pm
The Bourjous trade just made Jon Jay better. I hope John Mabry can get PB and Jay (my nickname for our platoon CF) to both hit better.

That's pretty good!

jrulz83

Baseball Hog

Better hope late June isn't too late.

The Boar War

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 28, 2014, 08:35:57 am
Wong and Robinson sent to AAA, Grichuk and Garcia called up:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cards-notes-wong-robinson-sent-down/article_5c5b983d-b445-5a79-8c17-c44cabc5d556.html

The Bourjous acquisition made Robinson expendable.  Grichuk has been hitting well against minor league pitchers.  I was a little surprised by Wong but it doesn't seem like Matheny has a lot of faith in him.

The Boar War

Sigh in the general direction of Jon Jay.

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

The Boar War

Grichuk gets his first MLB hit.  Nice to see a young Redbird and a former Trav get the first one.

pigture perfect

It sure seems like the Brew Crew has our number this year. Crazy that we are 61/2 back after the first month.

The Boar War

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 30, 2014, 01:25:20 pm
It sure seems like the Brew Crew has our number this year. Crazy that we are 61/2 back after the first month.

We'll get them back.  Wish we could spread these runs around.

jrulz83

The Cards got the offense opened up today, big game from Craig. I hope it is a sign of things to come and not a one hit wonder. It's early, but I'm liking the Grichuk and Garcia call up so far.

pigture perfect

I'm with you rulz about Garcia and Grichuk. A little surprised Wong was sent down. I thought he was a little better than Ellis at 2nd.

The Boar War

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 30, 2014, 04:23:15 pm
The Cards got the offense opened up today, big game from Craig. I hope it is a sign of things to come and not a one hit wonder. It's early, but I'm liking the Grichuk and Garcia call up so far.

Both of them got their first hits pretty quickly.  I saw Grichuk make some good defensive plays and a nice throw to hold the runner from left field.  How did Garcia look defensively?

jrulz83

Quote from: The Boar War on April 30, 2014, 06:12:39 pm
Both of them got their first hits pretty quickly.  I saw Grichuk make some good defensive plays and a nice throw to hold the runner from left field.  How did Garcia look defensively?

Fine to me, defense has always been the gripe about him. It takes a while to see what kind of defender a player will be, but I think he's an adequate second baseman.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 30, 2014, 04:41:48 pm
I'm with you rulz about Garcia and Grichuk. A little surprised Wong was sent down. I thought he was a little better than Ellis at 2nd. Ellis is a very solid option, but I agree that Wong seemed a little smoother defensively at second.

I was a little surprised by the "quick trigger" on Wong, but the offense has been scuffling team wide and for him. I think this is a chance for him to build some confidence back up and get ready to be the main guy a little later in the season.

I believe Bourjos is the next to go to Memphis, and when that happens I think Taveras  :) finally :) arrives. I had decent hopes for Bourjos, but like most of the team, he just hasn't been able get it going offensively. If Bourjos gets sent down, I think your outfielders will be; Holliday, Jay, Craig, Taveras, Robinson. Robinson will be back because they'll want Grichuk and Piscotty to play every day if possible. Robinson is used to the sporadic playing time and his development is over and he is nowhere near as important as Taveras is to the organization.

pigture perfect

Tavares needs to be the next one up. We need some offensive help right now.

Horsesrus

Local rumblings are that your wish will come true for Taveras in the next couple weeks.  Grichuk is most likely candidate to go back.

pigture perfect

You're right. I kinda saw this coming. We have no pop in our offense. We needed to get some free agents that can swing a bat. These young guys can be good in time, but not if you want to win now.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Horsesrus on May 02, 2014, 12:26:09 pm
Local rumblings are that your wish will come true for Taveras in the next couple weeks.  Grichuk is most likely candidate to go back.

It will likely be June for Oscar. I think they're trying to avoid him reaching super 2 status.

pigture perfect

I'm usually optimistic about our chances against the braves, but this is not the time to play them. Not at their place.

pigture perfect

EEked one out tonight. not convincingly though.

Ray Piggers

A W is a W!

Trevor scares me every time he takes the ball in the 9th. His velocity has been down so far, tonight he was hitting 97 so hopefully he's getting it back.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Ray Piggers on May 05, 2014, 10:55:18 pm
A W is a W!

Trevor scares me every time he takes the ball in the 9th. His velocity has been down so far, tonight he was hitting 97 so hopefully he's getting it back.

I'm notoriously hard on our closers, but I haven't lost faith in Rosenthal yet.

McKdaddy

Ray Piggers

I'm tellin ya, we should roll the dice with Wong. Needs to face big league pitching.

pigture perfect

pigture perfect

Last nights game caused me to have a stroke. Rosie just hasn't had it this season (so far). The Davis pop up was the biggest out in the game.

The Boar War

Down 7-0 in the second to the Cubs.  This is getting rough.

pigture perfect

Ugh. I mean Ughly. We can't buy a thing.

McKdaddy

Mike gonna blame this start on the late night Sunday travel?

The Boar War

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 12, 2014, 08:55:53 pm
Mike gonna blame this start on the late night Sunday travel?

To be fair he did it before the game started.

McKdaddy

Quote from: The Boar War on May 12, 2014, 09:26:14 pm

And after last night's game. Instead let's motivate the players rather than excusing the tough Monday game performances.

McKdaddy

Quote from: The Boar War on May 12, 2014, 09:26:14 pm

You are right, of course. I'm just venting.

McKdaddy

From TableRocker: "May 12th: the 2014 Cardinals hit rock bottom."

All up from here, gentleman!

Ray Piggers

Has to!

Tonight was pitiful. Our pitching staff is... Off the mark so far this season.

jbell96

Aside from Waino, this starting rotation has been so so, Wacha hasn't been bad, but he hasn't been what we expected. Hopefully Waino can get us back on track tonight. I'm going tonight, which is a good omen, because the Cards are 6-1 in games I've attended at new Busch, all of which were within the past year.

The Boar War