Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coyote Hanging Around My House

Started by HawgWild, February 06, 2015, 02:25:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Took this picture yesterday. 4th sighting since January 1. What to do? What to do?

[attachment deleted by admin]

PorkRinds

I was at a buddy's place a couple weeks ago and a coyote ran out of the woods, snatched up his fufu dog, and took off.  He had a beer bottle in his hand and nailed it with a well placed shot from 20 feet away and it dropped the dog, luckily.  He was a goner.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 06, 2015, 02:34:22 pm
I was at a buddy's place a couple weeks ago and a coyote ran out of the woods, snatched up his fufu dog, and took off.  He had a beer bottle in his hand and nailed it with a well placed shot from 20 feet away and it dropped the dog, luckily.  He was a goner.

Did Guv hack your account?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

LSUFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 06, 2015, 02:34:22 pm
Maybe he should have first tried to understand the Coyote. Maybe he was shunned by the coyote system as a baby, didn't have all of the gubmint subsidies all the other predators got. Maybe fufu dog was asking for it?
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LSUFan on February 06, 2015, 02:52:47 pm
Maybe he should have first tried to understand the Coyote. Maybe he was shunned by the coyote system as a baby, didn't have all of the gubmint subsidies all the other predators got. Maybe fufu dog was asking for it?

And Delta hacked yours.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 06, 2015, 02:49:56 pm
Did Guv hack your account?

Lol.  That's a true story.  It was an amazing shot.  OK, I could have imbellished the 20 feet, as I had a few cold ones in me.  But the rest is gospel...

DeltaBoy

Get a 22 Rifle and Shoot it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 06, 2015, 03:11:54 pm
Get a 22 Rifle and Shoot it.

And if you live in the city limits, get one of the new high powered pellet guns and kill it. Odds are, there is more than one.

LSUFan

Nothin' funner than drinkin a few cold ones, setting up a predator call, and turning them shiny side outwards with a 223.

HawgWild

I'm guessing I'd have to bait him in somehow and lie in wait to take him out. I took that picture out of my living room window. No way he'd hang around long enough for me to open the door and take a shot. The slightest noise and he hauls it.

Rzbakfromwaybak

If you live outside the city limit's....put some bait out....remove the screen on one of your windows, keep a gun of your choice handy..& pop that sucker.

If you live inside the city limits:

Practice throwing empty beer bottles, & keep plenty of fresh empties handy.  Study your  throwing form, get some tips from PorkRinds Buddy, etc....  This method is not as successful, but can be rewarding... ;D
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

grayhawg

Quote from: HawgWild on February 06, 2015, 02:25:40 pm
Took this picture yesterday. 4th sighting since January 1. What to do? What to do?

If you are not in the city limits this will work.

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on February 06, 2015, 05:42:19 pm
I'm guessing I'd have to bait him in somehow and lie in wait to take him out. I took that picture out of my living room window. No way he'd hang around long enough for me to open the door and take a shot. The slightest noise and he hauls it.
Set a trotline for him.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: LSUFan on February 06, 2015, 06:51:23 pm
Set a trotline for him.

Beat me to it. Big treble hook with a chunk of meat.

DOGALUM

Tell me where you live and I will eliminate the problem for you. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

HawgWild

Quote from: LSUFan on February 06, 2015, 06:51:23 pm
Set a trotline for him.

Well, we do have lake frontage so that might not be that farfetched of an idea. We are out of the city limits but not remote enough for a rifle shot. I take out most varmints with an old .410. And I'll never get close enough with that for a kill shot.

Wayne Watson

Number 4 Victor Coil Spring works great on coyotes.

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

AcornHunter

Quote from: HawgWild on February 06, 2015, 02:25:40 pm
Take more pictures and post them.  I enjoy.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HawgWild on February 07, 2015, 12:20:16 pm
Well, we do have lake frontage so that might not be that farfetched of an idea. We are out of the city limits but not remote enough for a rifle shot. I take out most varmints with an old .410. And I'll never get close enough with that for a kill shot.

Just an idea, but I know you said you couldn't open your door and get a shot without scaring it off. Bait him to a manageable shot from a window in your house you can take the screen off of, open the window, leave the blind or curtains closed and snipe him.

95_alum

February 07, 2015, 10:08:18 pm #19 Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:28:57 am by 95_alum
Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 07, 2015, 01:57:57 pm

... Or a conibear box or bucket set. (Got to be careful regarding non-target animals with that setup.)

Edit: Wayne- Any review on the MB-450's or 550's?

DOGALUM

I'm tellin ya.....the DOGALUM method is tried and true.   

Wayne Watson

Quote from: 95_alum on February 07, 2015, 10:08:18 pm
... Or a conibear box or bucket set. (Got to be careful regarding non-target animals with that setup.)

Edit: Wayne- Any review on the MB-450's or 550's?

Love MB-450 and 550 but, dang, they are expensive.  Probably one of the best traps in the world.  You wouldn't want to use them in an area where someone might steal them.
We don't rent pigs

trphog

Xylitol - its an artifical sugar substance that canines can't process. It's readily available in bulk on the internet. The threat is that it will kill any dog that gets into it so you have to be careful where you put it out. We mix it around in deer guts. We also make meats balls with it and leave them out in the woods. It works.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 07, 2015, 01:57:57 pm

Yep this will work if you don't have in neighborhood dogs that roam.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 12, 2015, 09:38:49 am
Yep this will work if you don't have in neighborhood dogs that roam.

Then, I'd use a snare.  A dog will not fight the snare and can be released unharmed.  7x7 3/32" will work just fine.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 12, 2015, 09:43:27 am
Then, I'd use a snare.  A dog will not fight the snare and can be released unharmed.  7x7 3/32" will work just fine.
Yep most dogs are too smart for that.  The Yotes not so much.
Those Trot line hooks work too.

pigture perfect

Sub sonic .22 ammo works great in the city limits for predators.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 19, 2015, 02:56:05 pm
Sub sonic .22 ammo works great in the city limits for predators.

Yep

my favorite

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 20, 2015, 11:34:29 am

Yep

my favorite

I have never tried the sub-sonics, etc.  How much would you say they really reduce the sound in a .22 rifle?

20%.....30%   ???

95_alum

CCI saying 75% reduction. You'll get better results from a rifle than from a pistol. Might not cycle the action in a semi-auto. I've used these with a pump action. They're pretty dang quiet.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=960

Hogs run wild

I'll be right over with my rifle and silencer.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: 95_alum on February 20, 2015, 11:50:50 pm

CCI saying 75% reduction. You'll get better results from a rifle than from a pistol. Might not cycle the action in a semi-auto. I've used these with a pump action. They're pretty dang quiet.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=960

Yes, thanks.  I ran across the same one you listed from CCI about a week ago, (CCI Quiet) & they seem like they are probably the best choice for what I need.  There are quite a few different brands, etc. on the market, & I have never tried any of the sub-sonics, etc.  Glad to hear your input.  I will be using them in a rifle also.  Don't care if it cycles in one of my auto's or not, will be loading one at a time.  I have a lever action I will also try, to see which delivers the best accuracy.  The noise reduction will be the main issue.

How accurate will your rifle shoot these at 25yds?

95_alum

I've never put it on sandbags to see what size the groups were. Only used them to shoot at softball size targets at 15yds without hearing protection. Great to see the reaction on friends faces when they shoot it w/o hearing protection for the first time. They can't believe how quiet those rounds are.

DOGALUM

Not sure of the ballistic difference between the subsonics and the shorts, but the shoot dead on @ 25yds.  (as today's kill pic will illustrate)

darned thing had my dogs going crazy in the fence @ 4:00 in the afternoon. 

Wayne Watson

I personally would not shoot a coyote with any .22 rim fire unless it's in a trap or snare.  I don't want a shot animal to run off and suffer a slow death.  I want one shot...one kill...instantly.  But that's just me.
We don't rent pigs

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 23, 2015, 07:09:55 pm
I personally would not shoot a coyote with any .22 rim fire unless it's in a trap or snare.  I don't want a shot animal to run off and suffer a slow death.  I want one shot...one kill...instantly.  But that's just me.
We're all a bunch of snipers though. One shot, one wounded animal

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 23, 2015, 06:03:39 pm

Not sure of the ballistic difference between the subsonics and the shorts, but the shoot dead on @ 25yds.  (as today's kill pic will illustrate)

darned thing had my dogs going crazy in the fence @ 4:00 in the afternoon.

Which ammo was that shot with at 25yds?     

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 23, 2015, 07:09:55 pm

I am trying to rid my yard of a group of feral cats.  Have trapped about 6 of them, the rest are wised up to the trap now.  Won't go near it, even after a couple of months.

DOGALUM

1highhog

Quote from: HawgWild on February 07, 2015, 12:20:16 pm

What are you shooting with that old .410 that makes you think you can't ever get close enough to kill a coyote?  How far away are you needing?  My .410 will reach a pretty good distance and still keep a very tight group,used to deer hunt with it many years ago.  Never let me down.

HawgWild

Quote from: 1highhog on February 28, 2015, 05:24:05 am
What are you shooting with that old .410 that makes you think you can't ever get close enough to kill a coyote?  How far away are you needing?  My .410 will reach a pretty good distance and still keep a very tight group,used to deer hunt with it many years ago.  Never let me down.

Squirrels, coons and possums. That photo I took was with a 500 mm lens and I was inside my house. The coyote was over 150 feet away. Any noise or movement and that thing takes off at a full run.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 20, 2015, 09:59:46 pm
I have never tried the sub-sonics, etc.  How much would you say they really reduce the sound in a .22 rifle?

20%.....30%   ???

I got an old Mossburg single shot from the early 1970's that is my dedicated home place varmint gun. Out of it they are quieter that a 22 short and as quite at a pump up air rifle.  When I get to having rats or other varmint issues I take the solar screen off my bed room window and just keep the window well greased so it opens silently. Then I pick them off.

Großer Kriegschwein

My brother got an Anatolian Shepherd. That thing owns all the coyotes and most of the other dogs in the neighborhood. Dale is such a good watchdog and runner-off-of-coyotes that he got a female and will start breeding in about a year.
This is my non-signature signature.

HawgWild

I can see why, they're big dogs. There's a neighbor raising some sheep a couple of miles away that had one of these out in the pasture looking after the herd. I haven't seen it in months. In talking with folks about this coyote, one of them mentioned a sheep being killed at this place. They may want to reconsider getting rid of that dog.

twistitup

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 08, 2015, 03:45:55 pm
My brother got an Anatolian Shepherd. That thing owns all the coyotes and most of the other dogs in the neighborhood. Dale is such a good watchdog and runner-off-of-coyotes that he got a female and will start breeding in about a year.

Awesome...we have a pair of Gr Pyrenees, they will own anything that comes inside the fences
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

sowmonella

I live on the 5th fairway at The Country Club of Arkansas in Maumelle. I've seen a pair strolling down the fairway in the last week. Animal control said they are almost impossible to trap.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Wayne Watson

Quote from: sowmonella on March 09, 2015, 10:18:22 am
I live on the 5th fairway at The Country Club of Arkansas in Maumelle. I've seen a pair strolling down the fairway in the last week. Animal control said they are almost impossible to trap.

That's because animal control doesn't know how to trap them.  When they get bad enough, the city will call the Arkansas Trappers Association for help.  That's what North Little Rock does.
We don't rent pigs

HawgWild

I've had no more sightings since I took the picture on February 5th. Come to think of it, I've not been bothered by raccoons or possums at the bird feeders for months and haven't had a rabbit sighting either. Maybe they've been coyote food and that'd be alright with me.

str8volfan

coyotes used to run rampant around my place. I purchased a pair of donkeys. Problem solved. Dont even hear them howl and cut up anymore close to me.

PonderinHog

Quote from: str8volfan on March 09, 2015, 07:50:43 pm
coyotes used to run rampant around my place. I purchased a pair of donkeys. Problem solved. Dont even hear them howl and cut up anymore close to me.
Won't donkeys take care of a snake problem, too?