Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think a Big 12 switch may be

Started by BoarnSupremacy, October 11, 2017, 06:52:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:53:53 pm
Man, you're really downtrodden aren't you?  We're landing somewhere from 25-30th typically, and I would argue that with more stature, it would probably bump us up a few spots...but that's conjecture.  It could also be argued that with as much fail as we've had lately with recruits on the bench with walk-ons playing in front of them, those numbers are slanted the other direction...but I digress. 

Again...drop down to the Big 12, and recruiting would drop lower.  That's how those things work. 

"You know, I'm good enough to go play at an SEC team....Ole Miss, and I've got a letter from them.  But you know...I don't think I'll go there.  I'd rather go play for Arkansas and beat up on KS, Iowa State, and Baylor and have the NFL scouts wonder if I'm really able to play at the highest level in CFB or not." 

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings   Notice anything?

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:59:31 pm
Good info.

Also lol'ed at your quip about with our luck, Texas taking our spot, hah.

Two things would stop Texas from jumping to the SEC.

1. The Aggies

2. Their arrogance.  They wouldn't want to share revenue with the rest of the conference.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 08:58:22 pm
Our average recruiting class is anywhere from 25-30.

You put our recruiting ranking in the BIG 12 or almost any other conference and we are either in the middle or towards the top not the bottom:

So you think we would remain there once we join the conference?  Oh, and we've dropped two games to Big 12 teams that rank 34th and 43rd on average.

If we move, I'll be shocked.  I guess if everyone is that convinced that we can't play with the big boys, then we'll drop back and maybe we can continue to go .500 despite higher recruiting numbers.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:59:44 pm
So power 5, but four spots.  So snubville for one conference right?  Hmmm...from what conference was the most notable snub? 

Now ask yourself. Does Arkansas make the Big 12 stronger or weaker?

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 09:00:25 pm
That's a year-by-year basis. If the winner of the PAC12 has 3 losses and the winner of the Big 12 has 1, who do you think they're taking?

Legit question:

5 P5 conference teams end the season undefeated.

They are the following:

Pac12 - USC
Big12 - Texas
Big10 - Ohio State
SEC - Arkansas
ACC - Florida State

Who do you think get's left out?

If people think that the SEC protects us then they are mistaken.  We would be left out of that scenario simply due the ratings.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

David†

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 09:05:05 pm

This year? We would bring down the sunbelt

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 09:03:40 pm
So you think we would remain there once we join the conference?  Oh, and we've dropped two games to Big 12 teams that rank 34th and 43rd on average.

If we move, I'll be shocked.  I guess if everyone is that convinced that we can't play with the big boys, then we'll drop back and maybe we can continue to go .500 despite higher recruiting numbers.   

1. We aren't moving.

2. Recruiting is an integral part of college football, obviously. But with your hard-on for it, Tennessee should be playing in Atlanta more years than not. How's that working for them?

RME

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 09:05:37 pm
Legit question:

They are the following:

Pac12 - USC
Big12 - Texas
Big10 - Ohio State
SEC - Arkansas
ACC - Florida State

If people think that the SEC protects us then they are mistaken.  We would be left out of that scenario simply due the ratings.

Absolutely.

Hawghiggs

HiggiePiggy

There is nothing better than averaging about 6.5 wins since joining the sec.....
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 09:00:25 pm
That's a year-by-year basis. If the winner of the PAC12 has 3 losses and the winner of the Big 12 has 1, who do you think they're taking?

Of course...no brainer there, but given equal wins...we've seen the results. 

Arguing this is pointless.  There's no way we're leaving a stable conference with the revenue we're pulling in.  Facilities help recruiting as much as winning, and until fans stop coming...we're going to play in the SEC.  We're arguing over a hypothetical, and to be blunt...I really don't care one way or the other.  If we move, I'm fine with it, but a big win over TCU would never match a big win over LSU.  OU...I might agree, but I'm far from convinced that we can beat them regularly either. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

AirWarren

Let's go to the big 12. I like it.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 11, 2017, 09:09:49 pm
There is nothing better than averaging about 6.5 wins since joining the sec.....

Now come on. We get to chant S-E-C  S-E-C when one of our conference mates play in the better bowl games.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 09:10:46 pm
Of course...no brainer there, but given equal wins...we've seen the results. 

Arguing this is pointless.  There's no way we're leaving a stable conference with the revenue we're pulling in.  Facilities help recruiting as much as winning, and until fans stop coming...we're going to play in the SEC.  We're arguing over a hypothetical, and to be blunt...I really don't care one way or the other.  If we move, I'm fine with it, but a big win over TCU would never match a big win over LSU.  OU...I might agree, but I'm far from convinced that we can beat them regularly either.

I agree with you, I really do. No way we're leaving. I just think, considering football only and nothing else, that we would fare better in the W/L column playing in the Big 12.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 09:05:05 pm

About the same...to be blunt.  We'd still take a few players from TX, but I don't think they would be clamoring to come get the Arkansas kids that we get...all 3-4 of them.  As for reputation, beating Arkansas isn't a big deal anymore...sadly.  It's about like beating Texas Tech, which we managed to do one out of two. 

Sivad

Quote from: HawgPound on October 11, 2017, 08:27:25 pm
Wow.
Never thought I would see the day Hog fans would want to crawl back into a conference ran by Texas.
A conference that is on the verge of collapse at the hands of Texas.
It IS incredible there is ANY support for such a move.
And yes, there would be a mad scramble by other schools just begging to take our vacated place in the SEC.
And Texas could even be the taker, thereby immediately killing the already dying Big12.
We would be floundering around in search of a mediocre or worse conference while being forever tarred as the school that was scared of the SEC and ran with our tails between our legs in search of less competition.
Not to mention we would be rightly considered the dumbest school to ever play Div 1 football.

Hawghiggs

shown006

Legit question:

They are the following:

Pac12 - USC
Big12 - Texas
Big10 - Ohio State
SEC - Arkansas
ACC - Florida State

Any team that defeats Alabama and then wins the SEC Title game is in the playoff....doesn't matter who it is.  Mississippi State was ranked #1 not even halfway through the season because they play in the SEC West a few years ago.
WPS!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 09:13:16 pm
I agree with you, I really do. No way we're leaving. I just think, considering football only and nothing else, that we would fare better in the W/L column playing in the Big 12.

Sure we would...but in the end, we're not anymore prominent than we are now by beating anyone but OU and TX.  We would be expected to beat the others, but sadly....as it stands right now, we can't do that either.   :(   

It just sucks being a cellar dweller, but that's where we are right now.  Worst part...no vent. 

Ben

Think about it. In the past 10 years, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, KANSAS, Kansas St, TCU, Baylor and Missouri have reached as high as #2 and controlled their destiny to a National title game. That's not including OU, Texas, and Nebraska. Baylor/TCU would have gotten in the CFP over OSU if they had a CCG......Think about that. You mean to tell me Arkansas wouldn't have the potential to do the same? Pretty sure we wouldn't be crying and moaning about "This isn't in the SEC where the competition is". We sure didn't when we were in the SWC winning all the time lol.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

factchecker

Quote from: shown006 on October 11, 2017, 09:15:22 pm
Any team that defeats Alabama and then wins the SEC Title game is in the playoff....doesn't matter who it is.  Mississippi State was ranked #1 not even halfway through the season because they play in the SEC West a few years ago.

Not true.

We will not get the benefit of the doubt if Alabama has an off year and loses 3 or 4 games.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ben

Quote from: shown006 on October 11, 2017, 09:15:22 pm
So if South Carolina beats Auburn in the 2010 SECCG, they would have made it to the CFP if there was one in that time? They beat Alabama that season.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Danny J

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:16:13 pm
OK, so based on that, WHAT makes you think we would win in the Big 12?  Still competing against the same schools in TX for the same players right?  Wouldn't it stand to reason that we would end up mid pack there too, likely behind OU, OSU, TX, and TCU...who have inherent recruiting advantages?  Would we just slowly sag right down to that level of play versus the SEC? 

If you guys want wins...heck, why draw the line at the Big 12.  I bet we could wiggle our way into the Sunbelt.  Surely we could win some games there....  Geez....
Who knows...I can't think of any year the big 12 has been better than the SEC so we would have at least the same or slightly better shot however $ is a different story.

urkillnmesmalls

Legit question:

They are the following:

Pac12 - USC
Big12 - Texas
Big10 - Ohio State
SEC - Arkansas
ACC - Florida State

NO WAY.  Unless it's a FLUKE year and Bama, LSU (assuming they get back to their previous level...which they may not for awhile), and whoever won the east who we beat in the SECCG were badly off that season, there's NO WAY we get left out.  No way. 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 09:13:31 pm
About the same...to be blunt.  We'd still take a few players from TX, but I don't think they would be clamoring to come get the Arkansas kids that we get...all 3-4 of them.  As for reputation, beating Arkansas isn't a big deal anymore...sadly.  It's about like beating Texas Tech, which we managed to do one out of two. 

I see it a little differently. I think that Arkansas would quickly become a much bigger deal.

(notOM)Rebel123

Why do people continue to discuss this? It ain't happening. Geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 09:22:26 pm
NO WAY.  Unless it's a FLUKE year and Bama, LSU (assuming they get back to their previous level...which they may not for awhile), and whoever won the east who we beat in the SECCG were badly off that season, there's NO WAY we get left out.  No way. 

The National media would say that the SEC is in a down cycle. That's why Arkansas won.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 11, 2017, 09:23:47 pm

Would you like to b!tch about Bert or Jeff? Because their ain't no football to talk about.

David†

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 09:22:34 pm
I see it a little differently. I think that Arkansas would quickly become a much bigger deal.

Arkansas can be bigger deal nationally in SEC. Already proven. Just gotta have the right coach in place.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 09:25:25 pm
Would you like to b!tch about Bert or Jeff? Because their ain't no football to talk about.

At least they are topics of relevance. Moving to the Big 12?...Might as well discuss moving to the Big 10. Let's throw in a 3 page thread on how Gruden is coming to The Hill.

RME

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 11, 2017, 09:26:55 pm
At least they are topics of relevance. Moving to the Big 12?...Might as well discuss moving to the Big 10.

Not really. Neither Bret nor Long are going anywhere after this year either so, pretty irrelevant.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 09:28:05 pm
Not really. Neither Bret nor Long are going anywhere after this year either so, pretty irrelevant.

Don't be so sure....

Hawghiggs

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 09:25:28 pm
Arkansas can be bigger deal nationally in SEC. Already proven. Just gotta have the right coach in place.

I don't think that's true. We could have 1 or 2 good seasons. But we aren't going to increase are overall record in the SEC.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 11, 2017, 09:23:47 pm
True, but if it did, the dominoes would be set in motion.  Big 12 would grab another, SEC would need someone, it would be interesting to watch it unfold

shown006

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 09:17:39 pm
Not true.

We will not get the benefit of the doubt if Alabama has an off year and loses 3 or 4 games.

O.k.  I agree with that...as unlikely as it is with Saban there.  But if any team is undefeated and has beaten Bama, LSU, Auburn, and the East winner to go 9-0 in the SEC, and 13-0 overall, they're not getting left out of the playoff.  And, I include Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missour, etc in that.  All hell would break loose if that happened.  Futhermore, there's little or no chance all those teams you mentioned would be undefeated given all the championship games.  Undefeated seasons are almost unheard of now by one team, much less 5.
WPS!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Sivad on October 11, 2017, 09:14:15 pm
It IS incredible there is ANY support for such a move.
And yes, there would be a mad scramble by other schools just begging to take our vacated place in the SEC.
And Texas could even be the taker, thereby immediately killing the already dying Big12.
We would be floundering around in search of a mediocre or worse conference while being forever tarred as the school that was scared of the SEC and ran with our tails between our legs in search of less competition.
Not to mention we would be rightly considered the dumbest school to ever play Div 1 football.

Haha...I've argued against the move from the first post, but I'll play devil's advocate from the other side on this one...why not right?  Everyone already thinks people on Hogville are bat crap crazy anyway. 

There could be a viable scenario where another big team AND Arkansas would move to the Big 12 and at least add to their credibility and viability.  Not sure about stability...because TX hasn't yet figured out that the NCAA wouldn't fold if both they and Notre Dame were given the death penalty, but that's a different story. 

It's hard to argue that logistically and geographically, there is some sense to it.  But...the rationale pretty well ends there, because the reach isn't increased much, and in TX the TV's are turned on, but it's saturated already with teams from TX.  They're not gaining viewers because they're playing Arkansas.  Arkansas wouldn't be gaining a lot of viewers for them either.  So arguing that we would help financially...doesn't really hold water.

And...I totally agree with you on the competition thing.  I'm sitting here staring at my books in my office, and there's Jack Welch's book...."Get better, or Get Beaten."  That just about sums it up for me.  Oh...and right next to it is, "Hope is Not a Strategy," which might be something CBB needs to read.   ;D   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 09:28:05 pm

I wouldn't bet much on that.  If we get wrecked from here out, and there are empty seats....I wouldn't be surprised at all to see at least CBB gone.  I don't think they would can JL, but the other side of me wonders how they couldn't if they have to pay that buyout that he obviously pushed for.  Who knows? 

David†

7-4 against big12 last 10 years.

Unless I missed something.

RME

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 09:46:03 pm

I'm gonna venture a tiny little guess that we don't have a 0.636 winning % against the SEC over the last 10 years.

go hogues

We'd suck at recruiting in the Big12 too.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 09:46:03 pm

So we're going from moving to the big 12 for a greatly enhanced chance of competing for conference titles, possible playoff contenders, and getting all these wins to now being content with going 7-4 against the mighty Big 12?   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

That's comedy gold.  Yep...we'll go over there and show 'em who's boss.  Ooops.   ;D

David†

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 09:50:08 pm
So we're going from moving to the big 12 for a greatly enhanced chance of competing for conference titles, possible playoff contenders, and getting all these wins to now being content with going 7-4 against the mighty Big 12?   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

That's comedy gold.  Yep...we'll go over there and show 'em who's boss.  Ooops.   ;D

Lol. That's exactly what I was thinking.

David†

7-5 the last 12 games, just to make it an even season :)

onebadrubi

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:58:45 pm
I bet if we hired Gus, moved to the big12 and played half our home games in WMS  we would be the next Bama.

exchange Gus for Leach and better dang well believe it!!!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

David†

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 11, 2017, 09:55:57 pm
We get to play Kansas?

Only on the years they are good and beat us, you know, like Vandy.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 09:55:46 pm
7-5 the last 12 games, just to make it an even season :)

With one of those being against a hapless TX team that looked like they would rather have stayed at home and played PlayStation than in their bowl game.  It's hard to even count that one...   ;D

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 09:56:43 pm
Only on the years they are good and beat us, you know, like Vandy.

In my best Seinfeld "Newman voice"......CUTLER!!!!! 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 11, 2017, 09:55:57 pm
We get to play Kansas?

Probably the third season in, but they'll have the second coming of Gayle Sayers and it will look like that scene in Forrest Gump and they'll beat us like a yard dog.   :)