Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Vacancies

Started by Hawghiggs, September 21, 2014, 06:17:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

King

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 21, 2014, 08:36:11 pm
There are going to be a lot of jobs open at the end of this year.  If Georgia or LSU end up with 3-4 losses I could see Miles or Richt making a move to stay one step ahead of the posse even if they aren't in any real danger of getting fired.

Barring miracle turnarounds Hoke and Muschamp are definitely toast.  Both will go after HC's especially Florida.  They win big when they go after successful HC's from lower programs (Spurrier/Myer), and are mediocre when they go the coordinator route (Zook/Muschamp).

Besides a lot of movement there will be the Jimmy Sexton effect.  A lot of coaches will stay put and get big raises and contract extensions.

Glad we are out of the coaching derby this year by all reasonable accounts.

Trying to think of notable "good hires" from previous head coach vs. previous coordinator.  Here is what I can think of:

Good hires that were previously coordinators:

James Franklin (Vanderbilt)
David Shaw (Stanford)
Dan Mullen
Mark Stoops (Kentucky)

Good hires that were head coaches at mid-majors or lesser "Power 5" schools (just SEC):

Kevin Sumlin
Hugh Freeze
Gus Malzhan

I invite any additions to these lists that anyone may have.  Obviously I am excluding proven head coaches that were hired at a new school like Sarkesian, Petersen, Meyer, Bielema, Saban, Spurrier.

HogFanatic

I was reading the Florida fan boards earlier today and a LOT of those guys seem to want Petrino. For the life of me I don't understand why, and I know that AD's aren't going to make any decisions based on the feelings of internet fans, but Petrino would jump at that chance, if you ask me.

rusvegashog

I'm in the Mullen Gundy camp.

KMB90

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 21, 2014, 06:43:35 pm
Truthfully , I'm more concerned about Michigan making a run at our coach . He has a proven record in the conference and Stevie Wonder can see he is building something here

I know Michigan has the money to burn, but BB's buyout will be $2 million after this year.  I can't see them paying that.

HF#1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on September 21, 2014, 09:01:16 pm
I was reading the Florida fan boards earlier today and a LOT of those guys seem to want Petrino. For the life of me I don't understand why, and I know that AD's aren't going to make any decisions based on the feelings of internet fans, but Petrino would jump at that chance, if you ask me.

He absolutely would.  He would take another beating for leaving Louisville again.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he did.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

BOAR_N2BWILD

I think that if Gus, which I hate the sorry SOB, ends up in the National Championship game this year or even finishes in the top 5, he will be in the NFL possibly Dallas.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

reddogjcss

Last year bunch of fans wanted coach B out of here. This year a few wins and much improved team and worried he recruited by another team! Lol love it!
I bet Mullens does not leave MS. He seems to have found his place and doing well. Coach B not going anywhere soon. He's got to prove he can build a program and was not riding Alvarez shirt tail.
Now GUS that a different story. His track record proves he's ready for the next bigger job.
Miles would leave for Mich in a heart beat. He's been steady losing control of the players each year. Got talent but not showing on field. Something going on in LSU a that will take a strong will coach to straighten out.
Mushchamp not cutting it.
Don't think Nutt will get another big time chance but if he does LSU  would be a good place for him since they have no problem getting talent.
I figure LSU will go with an up and comer. Good assistant ready for big time if they can't get a big name coach.
Florida has already been the up and comer route and didn't work well. They will have a new coach on contract before they get rid of Mus.
On second thought I thonk Nutt is finished in SEC. Maybe Big 10

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

reddogjcss

Lol that sounds right! Rebuild SMU

dmaxfan

I think gundy will end up at lsu
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

clutch

Quote from: King on September 21, 2014, 08:48:58 pm
Glad we are out of the coaching derby this year by all reasonable accounts.

Trying to think of notable "good hires" from previous head coach vs. previous coordinator.  Here is what I can think of:

Good hires that were previously coordinators:

James Franklin (Vanderbilt)
David Shaw (Stanford)
Dan Mullen
Mark Stoops (Kentucky)

Good hires that were head coaches at mid-majors or lesser "Power 5" schools (just SEC):

Kevin Sumlin
Hugh Freeze
Gus Malzhan

I invite any additions to these lists that anyone may have.  Obviously I am excluding proven head coaches that were hired at a new school like Sarkesian, Petersen, Meyer, Bielema, Saban, Spurrier.

Bill O'brien was a good coach that was previously a coordinator.

I Think Freeze is a good coach too but I guess he still has to prove it at this level.

Obviously neither of these guys had huge success yet, just good coaches in my opinion that fit the descriptions.

Hawgboy64

Not hating but I don't think HDN ever gets a Big 5 coaching job. FBS, maybe, if he can swallow his pride.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

clutch

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on September 21, 2014, 10:33:31 pm
Not hating but I don't think HDN ever gets a Big 5 coaching job. FBS, maybe, if he can swallow his pride.

He REALLY thought he was going to get the Memphis job after this season. Now that they are having a good season that's pretty much out the window. He has kind of quit looking at the moment I think, but was really wanting that Memphis job for some reason.

So I think he probably realizes that his big time coaching job days are over.

fakebobholt

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 21, 2014, 06:46:51 pm
He already  owned the big ten.  He's an sec guy at this point.  I think hes here  for a good long time.

he owned the lessor teams but check the record against the top teams. Post the stats against the bottom 2/3rds of the leauge and then the record vs the top 1/3. Not a jab at coach but his record is what it is.

HogInFlorida

Smart goes to Florida

Muschamp to DC at Bama.

SEC loses.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

clutch

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 21, 2014, 10:38:22 pm

he owned the lessor teams but check the record against the top teams. Post the stats against the bottom 2/3rds of the leauge and then the record vs the top 1/3. Not a jab at coach but his record is what it is.

I don't know because I've never cared enough to look up the actual numbers, but if I was guessing I'd say that that is probably true for almost all coaches with the exception of the few truly elite guys like Saban.

PorkRinds

3 big ten titles in a row. That's good enough.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: clutch on September 21, 2014, 10:36:43 pm
He REALLY thought he was going to get the Memphis job after this season. Now that they are having a good season that's pretty much out the window. He has kind of quit looking at the moment I think, but was really wanting that Memphis job for some reason.

So I think he probably realizes that his big time coaching job days are over.
Memphis may be looking for a new coach after this season. You don't build up a small program that fast and stay there long. Memphis against MTSU last night had over 40K at the game. Fuente may get himself a shot at a good job as soon as after this season.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

WashUhog6

The only teams he had a losing record against were Michigan State (3-4), Penn State (2-3), and Ohio State (1-5). He had a winning record against 8 of his 11 Big Ten opponents, and a swing game his final year in the league were what led to his losing record against Michigan State and Penn State. And that's all with Wisconsin consistently ranking in the bottom half of the league in recruiting.

People constantly cite his gaudy record against Minnesota and Indiana as he was 14-0 against those two. But Minnesota and Indiana are the only two schools that were on Wisconsin's schedule each year that Bielema was head coach. He played MSU 7 times but only because 1 of them was a B1G championship game, which he won. Wisconsin played 7 of their B1G opponents only 5 times or less.

clutch

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on September 21, 2014, 11:24:41 pm
Memphis may be looking for a new coach after this season. You don't build up a small program that fast and stay there long. Memphis against MTSU last night had over 40K at the game. Fuente may get himself a shot at a good job as soon as after this season.

That's true, not the reason he was thinking he was going to get that job though haha. Apparently some of the Memphis boosters weren't happy with him before the season started for some reason. I think they've changed their mind now. Not sure why they felt that way, but they thought he was going to fail and weren't going to give him much of a chance. He should bolt soon.

PorkSoda

Quote from: TMc on September 21, 2014, 06:43:55 pm
Houston Dale can jump on that LSU job.  The two would be a perfect fit!
if only...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

pigture perfect

Les Miles is going to be like Mack Brown. He will stay there until he's killed the program. Gus might jump to Florida. He doesn't stay anywhere very long.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 21, 2014, 06:35:57 pm
Florida - Gruden
Lsu - Ditka
All I can say is watch the signs. I mean if Gruden starts wearing blue and orange ties when he's on the air we'll know for sure. Just like a few years back it was a lock he'd be taking the Hog's job when he wore a red tie that one time.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: King on September 21, 2014, 07:00:06 pm
Dana Holgorson--Florida
Dabo Swinney--LSU

I don't see Swinney leaving Clemson because after going 22-4 over the last 2 seasons, Clemson just gave Swinney a huge raise and an extension.  Also, Clemson currently has the #5 ranked in the nation 2015 recruiting class currently committed (according to 247sports.com), and there is a lot of young talent already on Clemson's roster (including a true Freshman QB who may end up being a better QB than Tajh Boyd).  Swinney would be walking away from a lot if he were to leave Clemson.

If Miles leaves LSU to go to Michigan, then I wouldn't be surprised if LSU goes hard after Jimbo Fisher.  The FSU Administration may not be very happy with the way Fisher has handled/coddled Winston.

I don't see Mike Gundy leaving Oklahoma State, and I wouldn't be surprised if Greg Schiano ends up being either the Miami (FL) Head Coach, or the Florida Head Coach.  If Schiano gets one of those 2 jobs, then it will be interesting to see if Schiano wants Robb Smith to join him.

I just don't see Jeremy Foley (Florida's AD) hiring Robert Petrino.  There are some Auburn fans over on a SEC Message Board who feel that Ellis Johnson may retire, and then Auburn ends up getting Will Muschamp to be their DC.

texas tush hog

Quote from: KMB90 on September 21, 2014, 09:03:31 pm
I know Michigan has the money to burn, but BB's buyout will be $2 million after this year.  I can't see them paying that.

Hoke just signed a seven year contract extension yesterday.

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/09/21/michigan-signs-brady-hoke-to-new-seven-year-contract/

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

texas tush hog

wildturkey8

Michigan doesn't have the same advantages it had 20 years ago.  I think any successful coach will think long and hard before he accepts that job.

Break & Run

Michigan - Petrino

Louisville - Chad Morris

Florida - Dan Mullen

Mississippi State - Kirby Smart

Bama DC - Will Muschamp
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Break & Run on September 22, 2014, 02:55:58 pm
Michigan - Petrino Les Miles

Florida - Dan Mullen

LSU-Mike Gundy

Bama DC - Will Muschamp

I bet Charlie was wishing he had stayed at Louisville for another year. Then he could have went to Florida.
This is my non-signature signature.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Break & Run on September 22, 2014, 02:55:58 pm
Michigan - Petrino

Louisville - Chad Morris

Florida - Dan Mullen

Bama DC - Will Muschamp

If Morris leaves Clemson, then if Swinney wants to continue to run the same type of Offense, then don't be surprised if Swinney gets the current Baylor OC (Philip Montgomery).  It would be a Art Briles type of Offense with Clemson talent.

If Swinney doesn't want to continue with same type of Offense, then he might look at a current NFL OC.  Clemson is currently paying Morris $1.3 million per year, so Swinney will have a lot of options for an OC with that type of money he can offer.

sowmonella

Quote from: ErieHog on September 21, 2014, 06:56:07 pm
Harbaugh will be Michigan's target.

Florida may come after Mullen.

^^^^ This^^^^^^
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Roctavious

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on September 21, 2014, 08:32:53 pm
Dan Mullen - Florida
Art Briles - LSU
Les Miles - Michigan

Blake Anderson - Mississippi State

Anderson has a $3 Million buyout. Ain't no one paying that for a one year head coach. He's at stAte for at least 2 years. Unlike the past 3 ASU coaches, he doesn't seem to have a dream job.

If HDN would swallow his ego, he'd be king at a mid-major. Give him a reason to overachieve and he'll win every time. Never happen though. He'd never have a both feet completely in his office door.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Roctavious on September 22, 2014, 06:10:18 pm
Anderson has a $3 Million buyout. Ain't no one paying that for a one year head coach. He's at stAte for at least 2 years. Unlike the past 3 ASU coaches, he doesn't seem to have a dream job.

If HDN would swallow his ego, he'd be king at a mid-major. Give him a reason to overachieve and he'll win every time. Never happen though. He'd never have a both feet completely in his office door.

$3mil in Jonesboro dollars is like $250k in SEC currency.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Murr