Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

San Diego

Started by hogfan870, September 21, 2015, 10:40:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan870

Headed to San Diego in Oct. Never been. Restaurants, things to do and see? Any suggestions appreciated

Jackrabbit Hog

Spend some time in La Jolla, which is a suburb north of the city.  That's where Torrey Pines golf course is, but it's also the trendy part of town with lots of cool restaurants and shops.  It's like a village that you can walk.

If you've got the time, drive up the coast to Carlsbad and Ocean City.  The beaches are great there and it's where they have those long piers that go way out into the water with restaurants at the end of them.  Also, if you're taking a wife or girlfriend, there's a world-class spa and resort in Carlsbad called La Costa.  It's about an hour drive from San Diego.

Finally, go to Coronado Island, which is just a bridge away from downtown San Diego.  Again, a great beach but also a historic old hotel and more shopping and restaurants.  Great views of the city from there.

My wife and I went there about 7-8 years ago and had a really good time.  Best year-round weather in the continental US.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogsooey

Plenty to do here. A lot depends on your interests. Some of staples that draw lots of visitors: La Jolla (great beach views and walks, upscale restaurants and shopping, snorkeling and kayaking that depart a little farther down at La Jolla Shores), Coronado Island (great beach, famous hotel, shopping), the San Diego Zoo (one of the best zoos out there), the Embarcadero plus the USS Midway (great harbor area and you can spend hours touring the Midway), Balboa Park (massive urban park with striking architecture and lots of museums), Cabrillo National Monument (great views of the city and ocean with a nice bit of history thrown in), the Gaslamp Quarter (downtown, shopping, restaurants, nightlife), Mission Beach/Pacific Beach from Belmont Park to Garnet Avenue (SoCal beach life with long boardwalk and your younger more casual nightlife along Garnet Avenue), and Torrey Pines State Park (beaches, hiking, and views).

If you have more time. My favorite - some the best breweries around - the hop rules here. Little Italy in the downtown area for a big farmer's market. Horse races in Del Mar in late, late October. Plenty of other great beaches in Del Mar, Solana Beach, and Carlsbad. Fairly short day trips to Anza Borrego Desert State Park or the small town of Julian up in the nearby mountains. San Diego Safari Park (30ish miles from downtown San Diego), Sea World or Legoland (if you have kiddos).