Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "Wanted it more then we did" quote

Started by ttrk05, January 10, 2013, 09:27:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ttrk05

This in itself tells you all you need to know.  Let's forget every other coach we have had and talk about CMA.   After last years debacle on the road you would think no team in America would want a road win more then this coach and team.   

There is no excuse for the loss last night.   It's not that we lost, it's the way the coaches and players lost the game.  It starts at the top.  Accept that or not. 

And yes Lanny it was one game but we should "want" every game.  That's what CMA promised when he took over.  If you lose but play with heart then you can say the other team was just better.  CMA just did not have us ready.

I'm sick of hearing "they wanted it more".  This is on CMA if that team wanted it more.  It's his job to want every game.  The players deserve it.  We the fans deserve it.

havok

I agree 100%.  If the other team Wants it more than you do.. "WRONG ANSWER"...go play/coach elsewhere. 

That reeks of an problem with complacency & mediocrity. I want coaches and players who are MAD that they lost. 

WMHawgfan

Seems we have heard that excuse way too many times over the last several years. I hope CMA gets it going but man the inconsistent play of these last two years is not giving me too much hope. The thing that bothers me the most is it always seems like we are the less intelligent team on the court. We make the same mistakes over and over again. I really hope we can get some guys on the court with a higher bb IQ in the next year or two.

hawg IQ

Quote from: havok on January 10, 2013, 09:31:26 am
I agree 100%.  If the other team Wants it more than you do.. "WRONG ANSWER"...go play/coach elsewhere. 

That reeks of an problem with complacency & mediocrity. I want coaches and players who are MAD that they lost. 
again winning is a "mindset" ingrained by the head man and the best players. but sometimes you can lose on any given night,but can't ever win with the entire team's lack of effor was like we saw last night. I agree this one's on MA
go hogs go !

Cracker Jack

Quote from: ttrk05 on January 10, 2013, 09:27:40 am
This in itself tells you all you need to know.  Let's forget every other coach we have had and talk about CMA.   After last years debacle on the road you would think no team in America would want a road win more then this coach and team.   

There is no excuse for the loss last night.   It's not that we lost, it's the way the coaches and players lost the game.  It starts at the top.  Accept that or not. 

And yes Lanny it was one game but we should "want" every game.  That's what CMA promised when he took over.  If you lose but play with heart then you can say the other team was just better.  CMA just did not have us ready.

I'm sick of hearing "they wanted it more".  This is on CMA if that team wanted it more.  It's his job to want every game.  The players deserve it.  We the fans deserve it.

I posted the below in another thread, but it seems more appropriate in this one.........understand that I like Mike and want him to succeed, but last night's game was inexcusable.
------------------------------------

I have NEVER understood this excuse from a player or a coach........"they wanted it more than we did".  My question is WHY WHY WHY did they want it more than we did???  Someone PLEASE ask Mike WHY did our players and coaches NOT WANT this game more than the Aggies?

The problem is not lack of "want to".......it's a lack of preparation, game-planning, effort, heart, desire, in-game adjustments, and execution.  All of this falls on the coach......it is HIS responsibility to have his team prepared and to demand all of the above every time they step on the court.

Our game-plan seems to be......."nothing else really matters as long as we can shoot more times than you".  Well, that certainly won't work when your team can't or won't rebound, and can't even shoot 30% from the free-throw line.

Maybe we can practice really hard this week on our "want to".............

ttrk05

Agree with all the comments on here.  I'm not a CMA hater but I was not a big fan of the hire.  It just seems that he has lost any fire he did have.  It's evident in the way we play.  We go into road games expecting to lose. 

I hope he can turn it around.  This is on CMA and no one else.  I hope he is so pissed at himself he can't sleep at night.  And I hope he runs with the team for his own lack of effort. 

Chic-Hog-Oh

Agree with all these comments.

Another proof: When have we ever -- after a Razorback win -- heard or seen the OTHER coach quoted as saying: "They (the Razorbacks) just 'wanted it more than we did'." ???

Cracker Jack

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on January 10, 2013, 08:37:48 pm

Another proof: When have we ever -- after a Razorback win -- heard or seen the OTHER coach quoted as saying: "They (the Razorbacks) just 'wanted it more than we did'." ???
Great point!  And the answer is never!

Sivad

No. Never.
It was a stupid comment by a coach that should have offered an intelligent solution he planned to implement to stop his team's free fall.

dsims2k3

Well, he told the truth. They did by beating up our frontcourt and guards down low and we caved in. It was the truth. 
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

RazorWorld

I'd have to say that is pretty accurate. MA is a straight shooter. He is sending a message to the team. Think about how it must feel to hear him say that about the work/effort put forth.

Letsroll1200

Big fan of Mike Anderson but I was not impressed with his post game comments. Arkansas fans where hoping for more this year but last night lost was very disappointing. I hate to jump on coach but I was not impressed with the line up changes and didn't see any adjustments after halftime.

Smithian

RazorWorld

Another proof: When have we ever -- after a Razorback win -- heard or seen the OT
HER coach quoted as saying: "They (the Razorbacks) just 'wanted it more than we did'." ???
I recall many times hearing opposing coaches say this. It is common, very common.
Especially during the Nolan and Eddie days coaches would say we wanted it more. Often we would beat teams that we shouldn't and coaches would say "The Hogs were hungrier than we were!" This loss is not the end of the world, unless we learn nothing from it.

iluvmyslute89

"they wanted it more" is a nice way of saying "they played with good fundamentals and we didn't have answer for it". you expect mike to get up there and rip his players? he'd never get another recruit again if he did! Coaches no to keep it within the circle. what happens with the team stays with the team. aint nobody else that needs to know.
     I understand where you are coming from but you make a mistake when you take coach speak at face value. very rarely is a coach gonna tell you what he's really thinking.

RazorWorld

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 10, 2013, 10:05:38 pm
"they wanted it more" is a nice way of saying "they played with good fundamentals and we didn't have answer for it". you expect mike to get up there and rip his players? he'd never get another recruit again if he did! Coaches no to keep it within the circle. what happens with the team stays with the team. aint nobody else that needs to know.
     I understand where you are coming from but you make a mistake when you take coach speak at face value. very rarely is a coach gonna tell you what he's really thinking.

well said

dsims2k3

+1
Could not have said it better myself.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Danny J

Quote from: Smithian on January 10, 2013, 09:59:17 pm
What happened to fighting a bear?
My best advice is if this team runs across a bear they had better run.

HadRoastBeef

Thank-you for pointing this out.

Any time you say, "They wanted it more than we did," you should follow it by saying, "And that is my fault."

No team should ever "want it" more than Arkansas.

dchoss

MA SAY IT ONLY 1 GAME,  NEED SOME GOOD STUFF IN FIRST HALF,  FOUL TROUBLE AND GOTTA PUT IT IN THE HOLE
if you don't stand behind our troops by all means 'feel free' to stand in front of them

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: dchoss on January 10, 2013, 10:30:46 pm
MA SAY IT ONLY 1 GAME,  NEED SOME GOOD STUFF IN FIRST HALF,  FOUL TROUBLE AND GOTTA PUT IT IN THE HOLE
Easy there hoss! slow it down and make it a complete sentence so we can understand what you are trying to say here.

dchoss

DA*M*  I GOT NO  BIZ ..  NESS POSTING ON HERE,  HE,,,,   COACH M..  A..  SAY THE HOGS DID SOME GOOD THANGS IN THE FIRST HALF,
if you don't stand behind our troops by all means 'feel free' to stand in front of them

dchoss

MY BAD  PIG IN DESTIN FLO    =  pLUS 1 4  U

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: dchoss on January 10, 2013, 10:35:42 pm
MY BAD  PIG IN DESTIN FLO    =  pLUS 1 4  U

naw dawg, you miss spelling it on purpiss. obeuslee you readed mine there postages n all and R jus lit up like a chrismas tree on christmas eve. blame it on 'shine.

ttrk05

I know about coach speak.  We heard it at the introductory press conference.  CMA should have got up there and said "I didn't do my job by having these players ready to play"

Effort comes from the top down.  Everyone talks about CMA being the return of Nolan.  I remember Nolan being so disgusted by his teams play he walked off the court. 

This system just does not work now.  I miss "Hawgball"  as much as anyone but it's gone and is never coming back.  It's time a new style of HOGBALL gets going.  Dominate the boards.  Have shooters that are not scared of taking the shot.  Have teams fear us because they know we are going to come out and destroy them in the paint and from the 3. 

Other teams can do that and they win NC.   We should do it better. 

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: ttrk05 on January 10, 2013, 10:59:39 pm
I know about coach speak.  We heard it at the introductory press conference.  CMA should have got up there and said "I didn't do my job by having these players ready to play"

Effort comes from the top down.  Everyone talks about CMA being the return of Nolan.  I remember Nolan being so disgusted by his teams play he walked off the court. 

This system just does not work now.  I miss "Hawgball"  as much as anyone but it's gone and is never coming back.  It's time a new style of HOGBALL gets going.  Dominate the boards.  Have shooters that are not scared of taking the shot.  Have teams fear us because they know we are going to come out and destroy them in the paint and from the 3. 

Other teams can do that and they win NC.   We should do it better. 

Really?

Hogfaniam

Never quit. It is the easiest cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit.

It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference.

Losing doesn't make me want to quit. It makes me want to fight that much harder.

If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.

Don't give up at halftime. Concentrate on winning the second half.

If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you.

Set goals - high goals for you and your organization. When your organization has a goal to shoot for, you create teamwork, people working for a common good.

In a crisis, don't hide behind anything or anybody. They're going to find you anyway.

I hope you've enjoyed these Famous Quotes By Bear Bryant.

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 10, 2013, 11:43:36 pm
Never quit. It is the easiest cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit.

It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference.

Losing doesn't make me want to quit. It makes me want to fight that much harder.

If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.

Don't give up at halftime. Concentrate on winning the second half.

If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you.

Set goals - high goals for you and your organization. When your organization has a goal to shoot for, you create teamwork, people working for a common good.

In a crisis, don't hide behind anything or anybody. They're going to find you anyway.

I hope you've enjoyed these Famous Quotes By Bear Bryant.

The point of your post is?

Nipsey Mussle

I don't know if MA deserves direct blame for that mess against the ags but ultimately the blame has to fall on him. Powell is a terrible, terribleeee leader for this team. However, it's MA's job to change that. Whether it's a couple "dnp's" or suspension, or a come to Jesus meeting with MP, just do SOMETHING about it. I hate to say it, but that was a Stan Heath type game where players had decided not to bring it well before the game ever started.

I believe MA will get it fixed, at least I hope.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

ttrk05

Quote from: Clay (helmuthjr21) C on January 11, 2013, 03:37:22 am
I don't know if MA deserves direct blame for that mess against the ags but ultimately the blame has to fall on him. Powell is a terrible, terribleeee leader for this team. However, it's MA's job to change that. Whether it's a couple "dnp's" or suspension, or a come to Jesus meeting with MP, just do SOMETHING about it. I hate to say it, but that was a Stan Heath type game where players had decided not to bring it well before the game ever started.

I believe MA will get it fixed, at least I hope.

Hes the head coach.  Of course he deserves direct blame for this loss.  Just like he deserves the credit for wins. 

It is his job to have the players ready for every game.  I understand that a player is going to have an off game every once in a while.  But this was not a case of an off game.  This was total lack of being prepared by the coaching staff.

When you are getting beat by almost 30 in the rebounding battle, you get after some peoples A**.   But look at what happened.   We have 4 players standing around the 3 point line and then you have HM getting no farther in then the free throw line.  Hard to get a rebound like that. 

I hope your right and he gets it turned around.  I dont expect us to win every game but we as fans should never have to hear our HEAD coach get up and say "  they wanted it more then we did"     Thats his fault.   

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: RazorWorld on January 10, 2013, 10:00:45 pm
I recall many times hearing opposing coaches say this. It is common, very common.
Especially during the Nolan and Eddie days coaches would say we wanted it more. Often we would beat teams that we shouldn't and coaches would say "The Hogs were hungrier than we were!" This loss is not the end of the world, unless we learn nothing from it.

Good point. I intended to qualify my comment by saying "In the last 12 years or so, have you ever...."

Chic-Hog-Oh

It is his job to have the players ready for every game.

I hope your right and he gets it turned around.  I dont expect us to win every game but we as fans should never have to hear our HEAD coach get up and say "  they wanted it more then we did"     Thats his fault.
[/quote]

I agree that it's a coach's job to do that, but that doesn't mean that CMA is GOOD at doing that in a particular situation where many of not-his-recruited players DO NOT HAVE NATURALLY the fight, drive, grit, never-give-up attitude that we saw in Nolan's and Eddie's best teams. My point is that you could argue that those great teams at least had some -- if not many --players with that attitude naturally; it didnt have to be "coached into them."

Today, with players like BJ, Marshawn, Mickelson, and Madden not having a whole lot of that NATURAL, born-with-it, brough-up-as-kids-with-it "want to", it is quite the challenge to not only teach the new style, but ALSO, get every dingle player "up-and-ready" for evry single game, especially on the road!

So I'm not saying it can't be done, or that no other coach has done it. I'm only saying that zi don't see enough evidence in the past that CMA has done it with his other teams or can do it in the future.

Chic-Hog-Oh

Point is, as many of you smarter and more experienced posters have been saying, CMA needs to get in players with "want-to" and basketball IQ (and a good degree of skill , certainly) FIRST, then bring them into his style of coach-player relationship and his style of basketball.

Until he gets those players in, we are going to have these emotional, kid-dependent swings where we hang with Michigan on the road on national TV, but tank against aTm. The swings may even get wilder, so hold on.....

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on January 11, 2013, 09:10:32 am
Point is, as many of you smarter and more experienced posters have been saying, CMA needs to get in players with "want-to" and basketball IQ (and a good degree of skill , certainly) FIRST, then bring them into his style of coach-player relationship and his style of basketball.

Until he gets those players in, we are going to have these emotional, kid-dependent swings where we hang with Michigan on the road on national TV, but tank against aTm. The swings may even get wilder, so hold on.....

Then what happened at Missouri?

A lot of the stuff that's happening right now is what Missouri fans told us was happening during his time at Missouri.

The issue, for me, is with the style of play and the kind of players he recruits. They're either not very well-rounded or he doesn't make it a point to coach them into well-rounded players. I know he definitely doesn't coach a well-rounded style of play.

With that said, whatever wins is good with me. We do have two talented big men coming in next year (though B.J. Young will be going out). I think given the state of the team right now in relation to the talent level and what happened under his watch at Missouri, fans have the right to be antsy and uneasy. But, bottom line, he HAS TO show improvement this year. Another year of no postseason play means NO improvement. For this season to be considered any kind of step in the right direction, we must make AT LEAST the NIT, and we're not on track to do that right now.

hamARchy in the USA

Anyone who suffered through the last half of the '90s of Razorback basketball while Nolan was asleep at the wheel and without a staff who could run the program has seen this before.  None of these complaints are new to MA. 

During the last 2 years he was at Mizzou I forced myself to watch 6 or 7 of his games because his name was coming up for the Razorback job with Pel struggling.  I was hoping to see some growth in MA's ability.  Those 2 teams looked just like the late '90s Razorbacks in attitude and lack of consistent intensity.  Undisciplined play, throwing up 3s, not moving their feet defensively, standing and watching the other teams hustle for rebounds, and versus the teams with good coaches -- getting beat.  Nothing has changed and nothing is going to change with the Razorback basketball program until there is change at the top.

While there will be wins and short win streaks occasionally that give hope to the true believers, those will prove to be like Lucy yanking the football from Charlie Brown.

DeltaBoy

MA post game comments sounded like a brain fart to me.  I hope he went Nolan on them and had them go straight to the gym and run line drills till they puked.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FATHAWG08

Hey I'm still on the MA Bus... But I can't take much more of all the fouling we do and where we do it on the court. I've never seen a team foul as much as we do every game. This team just doesn't have any chemistry!!
I love off season Football!!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on January 11, 2013, 09:10:32 am

Spot On +1
I love off season Football!!

rude1

OK since CMA isn't here let me rephrase that so maybe it isn't so hard for some of you to understand. When you are beaten on the effort plays like rebounding and getting to loose balls, coaches point to that as an indication that the other team wanted it more because they were the ones who made the effort plays. There is nothing sinister in that statement.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2013, 12:15:37 pm
OK since CMA isn't here let me rephrase that so maybe it isn't so hard for some of you to understand. When you are beaten on the effort plays like rebounding and getting to loose balls, coaches point to that as an indication that the other team wanted it more because they were the ones who made the effort plays. There is nothing sinister in that statement.

You're exactly right.  Well said.

BallHog1

Best quote in the whole thread. As much as we'd all like to believe, Coaches really aren't worried about absolute communications with the fans. They need to communicate with the players and they need to win games. What they say to us is really not something you want to put alot of stock in.

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 11, 2013, 10:35:54 am
Anyone who suffered through the last half of the '90s of Razorback basketball while Nolan was asleep at the wheel and without a staff who could run the program has seen this before.  None of these complaints are new to MA. 

During the last 2 years he was at Mizzou I forced myself to watch 6 or 7 of his games because his name was coming up for the Razorback job with Pel struggling.  I was hoping to see some growth in MA's ability.  Those 2 teams looked just like the late '90s Razorbacks in attitude and lack of consistent intensity.  Undisciplined play, throwing up 3s, not moving their feet defensively, standing and watching the other teams hustle for rebounds, and versus the teams with good coaches -- getting beat.  Nothing has changed and nothing is going to change with the Razorback basketball program until there is change at the top.

While there will be wins and short win streaks occasionally that give hope to the true believers, those will prove to be like Lucy yanking the football from Charlie Brown.

Was the lack of (enough) success at Mizzou, therefore, because of :

1) CMA couldn't bring in (enough) players who were effort/intensity guys who could be taught the style (think Corliss, Corey Beck, Clint McDaniel, et al);

or

2) He truly can't teach "the style" as well as Nolan (Pitino/Donovan) could;

or

3) He could teach the style, but the players really didn't (and don't now?!?) truly  want to buy into it fully for a variety of reasons;

or

4) Many other coaches have simply caught on to the ways to coach/game-plan against it (Evidence: aTm on Wed night)?

Sow Lancelot

+1, sir.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on January 11, 2013, 02:58:49 pm
Was the lack of (enough) success at Mizzou, therefore, because of :

1) CMA couldn't bring in (enough) players who were effort/intensity guys who could be taught the style (think Corliss, Corey Beck, Clint McDaniel, et al);

or

2) He truly can't teach "the style" as well as Nolan (Pitino/Donovan) could;

or

3) He could teach the style, but the players really didn't (and don't now?!?) truly  want to buy into it fully for a variety of reasons;

or

4) Many other coaches have simply caught on to the ways to coach/game-plan against it (Evidence: aTm on Wed night)?

My opinion based on observation of MA and his teams' track records over the years is that he's not skilled at inspiring his players. 

That's most evident on the road where there is not a home crowd to supply the missing ingredient.  Even championship coaches can't get their players fired up for every game but they are the ones who consistently get out of their players the effort that has to be gotten when it has to be gotten to close out games.  Looking back through the best years of Razorback history, it wasn't unusual for Sutton's and Richardson's teams to come out flat and fall substantially behind, sometimes even to the weaker conference teams, but those coaches had their teams rallying at the end and often pulling out those type of games.  That's why their teams won trophies.

That all starts with what coaches get out of their players during practice.

Cracker Jack

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2013, 12:15:37 pm
Thanks for the definition, but most of us already knew that.  I know why he said it, as it was obvious A&M wanted the game more.  What I want to know is WHY........WHY did they want it more than we did, WHY did we NOT want to win the game enough to make those "effort plays", and WHY do we hear that justification for losing games WAY too often?   Mike should have answers to those questions......

No, there was nothing "sinister" in the statement, but there was no accountability in it either.....

rude1

Quote from: Cracker Jack on January 11, 2013, 03:42:59 pm
Thanks for the definition, but most of us already knew that.  I know why he said it, as it was obvious A&M wanted the game more.  What I want to know is WHY........WHY did they want it more than we did, WHY did we NOT want to win the game enough to make those "effort plays", and WHY do we hear that justification for losing games WAY too often?   Mike should have answers to those questions......

No, there was nothing "sinister" in the statement, but there was no accountability in it either.....
If we could answer those questions on why teams come up with half assed efforts, we wouldn't be on a message board, we would be rich selling that secret to coaches across the nation.

Pissed Pig

Quote from: Cracker Jack on January 11, 2013, 03:42:59 pm

Bill Self didnt seem to have a problem getting his kids to play all the way through until they found a way to win in OT.  We got straight up beotch slapped.  No effort worth talking about from anybody, IMO.