Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Press Row - elite in state players not recruited

Started by HogCard, February 19, 2016, 08:38:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogCard

So Vernon on Press row this morning was VERY ADAMANT that neither Monk nor Allen were "recruited".  In his Vernon voice he said "they weren't recruited and I'll leave it at that".  Said he talked to the families.

Now I know this show is borderline grade school talent contest level, but has anyone else ever heard this?  How can you "not recruit" such elite players from your home state?  Are you that naïve to think you don't have to?

Did I misunderstand him?

DeltaBoy

He doesn't know his 6 from a hole in the ground.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogCard on February 19, 2016, 08:38:25 am
So Vernon on Press row this morning was VERY ADAMANT that neither Monk nor Allen were "recruited".  In his Vernon voice he said "they weren't recruited and I'll leave it at that".  Said he talked to the families.

Now I know this show is borderline grade school talent contest level, but has anyone else ever heard this?  How can you "not recruit" such elite players from your home state?  Are you that naïve to think you don't have to?

Did I misunderstand him?

Kevaughn Allen I can agree with. But Malik Monk was given the staff's best recruiting effort (which isn't saying much).

MountieDawg

Its not an awful show!  I listen when other stations are at commercial or talking about HS Sports.  I like their opinions and Vernon will usually not sugar coat the facts like the other radio talent.  But they talk entirely too much about the Cardinals, Women's golf and Women's basketball for me to keep my radio tuned in.

They have Mike Conley in a lot and he is a good listen.  But he doesn't get the same hate Marcus Monk gets for his son leaving the state.
SEC!

hoglady

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2016, 08:44:09 am
Kevaughn Allen I can agree with. But Malik Monk was given the staff's best recruiting effort (which isn't saying much).

I'm with you.
From all accounts every effort was put into recruiting Monk.
Allen probably not near as much as should have been - Donovan brought his entire staff to NLR to see Kevaughn. Not even sure we ever did that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hoglady on February 19, 2016, 08:47:34 am
I'm with you.
From all accounts every effort was put into recruiting Monk.
Allen probably not near as much as should have been - Donovan brought his entire staff to NLR to see Kevaughn. Not even sure we ever did that.
Of Course they didn't. Michael Anderson would rather recruit JUCOs to take his program to the next level. He may have missed his window as No said with losing all these elite in state recruits

Ironhawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 19, 2016, 08:47:01 am
Its not an awful show!  I listen when other stations are at commercial or talking about HS Sports.  I like their opinions and Vernon will usually not sugar coat the facts like the other radio talent.  But they talk entirely too much about the Cardinals, Women's golf and Women's basketball for me to keep my radio tuned in.

They have Mike Conley in a lot and he is a good listen.  But he doesn't get the same hate Marcus Monk gets for his son leaving the state.

Is it Mike Conley or Steve Conley they have on regularly?  I thought it was Steve?

HawgWild

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogCard on February 19, 2016, 08:38:25 am

Did I misunderstand him?

Sigh.
By ''taking the high road'' and not being specific, all he really did was hide behind the ole ''not saying anything'' while calling MA out.

Cheese move.

If he really had something, he should have given an honest explanation and could have still kept the names of individuals discreet.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HawgAdvocate

Allen's recruitment (or lack of) has been discussed and documented (http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/kevaughn-allen-set-on-florida-dismisses-chance-of-becoming-razorback/). Internally, after the '14 fall signing period, the staff claimed they never wanted Allen.

Monk is an interesting topic though. We don't really know how often the staff made contact. I can only speculate, but it could be that the Arkansas staff may have been a bit too overconfident leading up till the last few months before the fall signing period, since Malik initially said he was going to sign in the spring. 
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jkstock04

That show is still on the air? I haven't listened to that since 2006. They talk about golf more than they do the Razorbacks.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

SONofHAM

There were discussions on here about serving Allen cold cuts on his recruiting visit instead of good food. 
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

HogCard

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 19, 2016, 10:00:13 am
Is it Mike Conley or Steve Conley they have on regularly?  I thought it was Steve?

It is Steve Conley

Jackrabbit Hog

Who the heck is "Vernon"?  Sorry; I live in Memphis and can't keep up with all the Arkansas radio shows like I used to.

Thanks.  I'll hang up and listen.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

SONofHAM

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 19, 2016, 11:04:59 am
Who the heck is "Vernon"?  Sorry; I live in Memphis and can't keep up with all the Arkansas radio shows like I used to.

Thanks.  I'll hang up and listen.
http://www.nwaonline.com/staff/vernon-tarver/
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

The_Iceman

I have heard that even if something happened with Cal at Kentucky, Monk likely wouldn't come back here. Apparently Mike was pretty ticked off and burned some bridges when it all went down.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2016, 11:30:30 am
I have heard that even if something happened with Cal at Kentucky, Monk likely wouldn't come back here. Apparently Mike was pretty ticked off and burned some bridges when it all went down.

With what is known about this situation, I don't think you can blame Mike.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 19, 2016, 10:00:13 am

It is Mike Sr... He was talking about his son Mike Jr today
SEC!

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 19, 2016, 10:17:01 am
Allen's recruitment (or lack of) has been discussed and documented (http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/kevaughn-allen-set-on-florida-dismisses-chance-of-becoming-razorback/). Internally, after the '14 fall signing period, the staff claimed they never wanted Allen.

Monk is an interesting topic though. We don't really know how often the staff made contact. I can only speculate, but it could be that the Arkansas staff may have been a bit too overconfident leading up till the last few months before the fall signing period, since Malik initially said he was going to sign in the spring. 

When a certain position wasn't made available, we lost all hope of signing Monk.

MountieDawg

Mike Sr leaving from behind  the line in a dunk contest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZz6qJvbrgY

The competition between Mike, Ken Griffey Jr and Deion Sanders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29TixSRcEA4
SEC!

The_Iceman

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 19, 2016, 11:35:14 am

Yeah, I don't. Just sayin'.

wheelspigharvey

To claim we never recruited Malik is a joke.  Dude is stirring the pot plain and simple.

hogsanity

Here is the thing, if he did recruit them hard, and could not get them to sign, that is a problem. If he did not recruit them hard or much at all, that too is a problem. Both options are highly troublesome.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

yocdaddy

I am pretty sure that Mike and Company don't work as hard in recruiting as other programs.  I do know that not much was done to attract Curry (Minnesota signee), Smith (Mizzou signee) Willis (Vandy signee), Korita (Tulsa commit) or Reeves (Wichita St. commit).  Curry and Smith are 6'8" or bigger and we lack those kind of forwards.  Both may be better as juniors as the JUCO players we just signed.  Willis is a dynamic guard that will destroy us for the next 4 years.  Korita and Reeves are both 6'4" or bigger and can fill it up.  I predict Reeves to be an elite player at Wichita St. after a couple seasons of strength and conditioning.  Arkansas failed to get any of the top 6 in state kids, that is a tragedy.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

Jackrabbit Hog

If CMA isn't recruiting hard, we need a new coach pronto.  I mean, that's about as basic as it gets.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 19, 2016, 11:35:14 am
Maybe you can't blame Mike for not getting Monk, but you sure can blame him for not trying harder on a crap ton of other players. If he had been doing his job, the loss of Portis and Qualls would not have killed this team the way it did.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

nationwish

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2016, 11:30:30 am

I heard a version of this story, but what I heard didn't make sense. It sounded like someone was intentionally spreading false information or that people really didn't understand how the system works after the letter is signed.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: nationwish on February 19, 2016, 02:39:06 pm
I heard a version of this story, but what I heard didn't make sense. It sounded like someone was intentionally spreading false information or that people really didn't understand how the system works after the letter is signed.

That's shocking.  Big time college basketball recruiting is above that mess.

HogSkinsDisease

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 19, 2016, 11:37:09 am
It is Mike Sr... He was talking about his son Mike Jr today

Wrong. It is Steve Conley they have on regularly. He brings up his nephew on occasion during certain discussions. And also mentions his playing days with the Steelers.

Paul

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 19, 2016, 08:47:01 am

Mike Sr & Jr were living in Indianapolis at the time.  That's a lot bit different than the Monks situation in that Marcus was on the UA payroll & they were living in NW Ark

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Paul on February 19, 2016, 04:06:42 pm
Mike Sr & Jr were living in Indianapolis at the time.  That's a lot bit different than the Monks situation in that Marcus was was on the UA payroll, & they were living in NW Ark thanks to boosters who helped in a number of ways.

FTFY

Favors were provided by Arkansas, however we want to spin it. Allegations of favors from Kentucky have been made. So it's a wash. Malik made his choice. On to the next one.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 19, 2016, 04:29:51 pm
FTFY

Favors were provided by Arkansas, however we want to spin it. Allegations of favors from Kentucky have been made. So it's a wash. Malik made his choice. On to the next one.

Yeah, but the biggest favor wasn't made.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ricepig on February 19, 2016, 04:43:41 pm
Yeah, but the biggest favor wasn't made.

And if it is true that an opportunity for Marcus was a deciding factor for Malik, I have to wonder why we couldn't offer something similar. Marcus won't be on the UK staff, right? So a coaching position wasn't the end all/be all. If he wants an opportunity to enhance his marketing/management/representation career, Coach A has the same agent at CAA that Cal has (Jimmy Sexton). CAA isn't exclusive to UK. Even then, why couldn't we ask Joe Johnson and his reps at EAG, to get involved?

LR_Matt

Y'all are kinda missing the point.... He didn't recruit those kids hard because MA knew he'd never get them, not because he was confident.....

Sivad

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 19, 2016, 02:21:05 pm
If CMA isn't recruiting hard, we need a new coach pronto.
Whether he is or whether he isn't - the results are the same - he is no good at it.

HogBreath

Quote from: Sivad on February 19, 2016, 06:42:55 pm
Whether he is or whether he isn't - the results are the same - he is no good at it.
I was always real concerned about his ability to recruit, even back in the Nolan days.

Nice guy though, no question about that.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 19, 2016, 06:20:12 pm
And if it is true that an opportunity for Marcus was a deciding factor for Malik, I have to wonder why we couldn't offer something similar. Marcus won't be on the UK staff, right? So a coaching position wasn't the end all/be all. If he wants an opportunity to enhance his marketing/management/representation career, Coach A has the same agent at CAA that Cal has (Jimmy Sexton). CAA isn't exclusive to UK. Even then, why couldn't we ask Joe Johnson and his reps at EAG, to get involved?

Because he put Thurman in that position, I have no idea on the rest of your reasons, you can ask Marcus, or Mike.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2016, 01:54:46 pm
Here is the thing, if he did recruit them hard, and could not get them to sign, that is a problem. If he did not recruit them hard or much at all, that too is a problem. Both options are highly troublesome.
not really. Signing Monk would have ultimately gotten us into trouble. Glad he's gone. Marcus should stay in Kentucky with him.

Even if Mike leaves and even if Cal leaves, I don't want any part of that group.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ricepig on February 20, 2016, 08:41:03 am
Because he put Thurman in that position, I have no idea on the rest of your reasons, you can ask Marcus, or Mike.

Scotty was brought in roughly seven months before Coach A was even hired, and three years before Marcus was given a GA position. Arkansas created the position for Scotty, and they could have done something similar for Marcus if they really wanted to. There are a multitude of ways Arkansas could have hooked Marcus up, IF that's what really mattered to Malik.

The question is, did we try and come up with anything this past summer/fall?

HawgAdvocate

Hogimus Prime

Mike is like Nolan in letting the top talent get out of state except for a couple of kids

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 19, 2016, 02:29:58 pm
Maybe you can't blame Mike for not getting Monk, but you sure can blame him for not trying harder on a crap ton of other players. If he had been doing his job, the loss of Portis and Qualls would not have killed this team the way it did.

I meant you can't blame MA for holding a grudge.
As for not blaming him for successfully recruiting Monk?
Well, maybe that also.
Sounds like it was a stacked deck.
However, that doesn't excuse him not recruiting others successfully.
His response to me:

HogBreath

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 20, 2016, 01:57:02 pm
Why?
Winning lots of games, creating high expectations...then poof, after only 1 season, he's outta here, on to the NBA!

Which of course, no one could have expected to happen.  Kinda like that whole Portis situation.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 20, 2016, 01:55:18 pm
Scotty was brought in roughly seven months before Coach A was even hired, and three years before Marcus was given a GA position. Arkansas created the position for Scotty, and they could have done something similar for Marcus if they really wanted to. There are a multitude of ways Arkansas could have hooked Marcus up, IF that's what really mattered to Malik.

The question is, did we try and come up with anything this past summer/fall?

First, it didn't matter to Malik, it mattered to Marcus, and no, he wasn't going to "create" a new job.

Wild Bill Hog