Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kids Don't Like This Kind of Ball

Started by maggiesue, February 18, 2016, 11:11:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maggiesue

MA plays hully gully basketball, which kids with NBA talent don't want to play.  They want to play in a pro style system where offenses are run to exploit the other team's weaknesses while highlighting players' strengths.  This roll the ball out on the court and press for 40 minutes while the other team scores at will is outdated and attracts players that can't shoot or play in the paint.

Let's back the money truck up and go get Marshall and make March Madness fun again.

Justifiable Hogicide

Good points.
But we'll have to get the money truck out of Mike Anderson's driveway first.

maxhog5

Marshall is making $3.3 million at Wichita State, he isn't coming to Arkansas.  He is holding out for either Coach K or Roy Williams to retire or Cal to jump back to the NBA.  Otherwise, he can stay at Wichita and be the biggest thing on campus rather than run second to the football coach in Fayetteville.

Randy Johnson

you mean just barely adults
I agree most of the neg stuff is posted by kids or immature folks
older fans see the big picture
younger people are all about now

Torqued pork

Quote from: Randy Johnson on February 19, 2016, 12:58:55 am
you mean just barely adults
I agree most of the neg stuff is posted by kids or immature folks
older fans see the big picture
younger people are all about now
Well I'm nearing 55 and the now has been going on for as long as the younger people have had developed brains. We may need to adjust our approach since our return to 40 minutes of hell has mostly just been hell on us.

latrops

Pitino and Smart have done fine with similar styles.  Heck, Anderson sent a handful of his players/recruits to the NBA through Mizzou.  I'm not saying the style of play is the most attractive to elite recruits, but it isn't THE problem.  I lean more toward our personnel/recruiting issues being a result of Anderson's personality and a suspect group of assistants.

TNhawgfan

The way our starters look worn down, I don't know if non NBA talent want to come play our style
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

wheelspigharvey

Kids like the motion offense, that's a selling point.  The rub is that for Mike the offense only works well when the defense is in full force.  It's the defense that is difficult to implement and probably not an easy sell.

Hogs33

Quote from: maggiesue on February 18, 2016, 11:11:54 pm
MA plays hully gully basketball, which kids with NBA talent don't want to play.  They want to play in a pro style system where offenses are run to exploit the other team's weaknesses while highlighting players' strengths.  This roll the ball out on the court and press for 40 minutes while the other team scores at will is outdated and attracts players that can't shoot or play in the paint.

Let's back the money truck up and go get Marshall and make March Madness fun again.

Please Stop with this Marshall bull****.... He is not coming here!!! Period!!
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

JenksHawg

Quote from: latrops on February 19, 2016, 05:41:06 am
Pitino and Smart have done fine with similar styles.  Heck, Anderson sent a handful of his players/recruits to the NBA through Mizzou.  I'm not saying the style of play is the most attractive to elite recruits, but it isn't THE problem.  I lean more toward our personnel/recruiting issues being a result of Anderson's personality and a suspect group of assistants.

Huggins as well - always wins using this style of play and has for the past 20+ years

Hogimus Prime

Pitino, Smart and Huggins press to create havoc and turn overs with your face pressure Anderson presses to speed up the opponent.

jdlew

Quote from: JenksHawg on February 19, 2016, 12:42:42 pm
Huggins as well - always wins using this style of play and has for the past 20+ years

No one gambles as much as MA teams do....they are always chasing the ball and trying to double team..there is nothing sound about it...it's about stealing the ball instead defending to shot or the goal...any descent team will get all the open shots they want if they don't throw the ball away..

hogwood

Not true at all. Tons of kids love to play fast, up-tempo, athletic style basketball. This is how basketball is nowadays. Positionless forwards who are fast and can do it all is the new face of the game. Our style of basketball is not why kids are choosing to go elsewhere.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on February 19, 2016, 12:53:53 pm
Pitino, Smart and Huggins press to create havoc and turn overs with your face pressure Anderson presses to speed up the opponent.

True indeed, but people will never understand that.  To most people press means press, don't understand the nuances of the press.  Don't know why that is, people get that there are different variations of the motion offense but just cannot seem to wrap their heads around different variations of press defense. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogwood on February 19, 2016, 01:25:53 pm
Not true at all. Tons of kids love to play fast, up-tempo, athletic style basketball. This is how basketball is nowadays. Positionless forwards who are fast and can do it all is the new face of the game. Our style of basketball is not why kids are choosing to go elsewhere.

Agreed.  I read the OP and thought to myself I couldn't disagree more.  High school kids would rather play CMA's style of ball than a bleed-the-clock, 10-passes-before-a-shot offense.  The problem is that we haven't been successful lately so that's what's driving the best recruits away.  Well, that, and Calipari's dirty slimy scuzzy recruiting.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 19, 2016, 01:41:42 pm
Agreed.  I read the OP and thought to myself I couldn't disagree more.  High school kids would rather play CMA's style of ball than a bleed-the-clock, 10-passes-before-a-shot offense.  The problem is that we haven't been successful lately so that's what's driving the best recruits away.  Well, that, and Calipari's dirty slimy scuzzy recruiting.
Anderson isn't 20% the coach Calipari is

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 19, 2016, 01:41:42 pm

They might rather play his type of offense, but it is on the defensive end that I do not think it appeals to them. Just look at Wed nights game. Offense was not the issue, his teams, outside of a clunker or two every year which can happen to any team, are going to score. They scored 86 or 87 pts, but on defense they gave up 90 to a team that had only scored 102 in their last two games combined.

The trapping, chasing, switching is not appealing because it leads to fouls which leads to bench time. They also do not want to share playing time with 9 other players. A stat I cant get past is that at OU their top 3 players play a combined 15 minutes longer than the Hogs top 3 per game. And at OU it is not all Heild. Their top 3 average almost exactly 5 minute more each per game than do their Hog counterpart.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TrueBlue

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 19, 2016, 12:51:21 am
Marshall is making $3.3 million at Wichita State, he isn't coming to Arkansas.  He is holding out for either Coach K or Roy Williams to retire or Cal to jump back to the NBA.  Otherwise, he can stay at Wichita and be the biggest thing on campus rather than run second to the football coach in Fayetteville.

Get tired of hearing this.

His base salary is not $3.3 million.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on February 19, 2016, 01:27:28 pm
True indeed, but people will never understand that.  To most people press means press, don't understand the nuances of the press.  Don't know why that is, people get that there are different variations of the motion offense but just cannot seem to wrap their heads around different variations of press defense. 

That is what is frustrating.  When a MA team traps its predictable and they are not hard, aggressive traps either.  I love watching Pitino, Smart and Huggins type teams. Those are way closer to Nolan's teams than MA.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on February 19, 2016, 02:03:21 pm
That is what is frustrating.  When a MA team traps its predictable and they are not hard, aggressive traps either.  I love watching Pitino, Smart and Huggins type teams. Those are way closer to Nolan's teams than MA.

I am sort of lazy when it comes to defense personally, I like a Syracuse zone...not that they don't expend energy, it is just more you guard a spot than chasing around a person. 

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 19, 2016, 01:43:57 pm
I'm convinced the people that talk crap about Calipari being a terrible coach are either coming at this from a purely jealous perspective or have no basketball knowledge. Cal's teams can play stifling defense. I'm much more impressed with his ability to teach a solid half court D than I am Anderson's ability to teach a full court trap. And before you say anyone can coach that talent, it's not easy to get an AA to buy into a team philosophy. 

PonderinHog

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 19, 2016, 02:24:32 pm
I'm convinced the people that talk crap about Calipari being a terrible coach are either coming at this from a purely jealous perspective or have no basketball knowledge. Cal's teams can play stifling defense. I'm much more impressed with his ability to teach a solid half court D than I am Anderson's ability to teach a full court trap. And before you say anyone can coach that talent, it's not easy to get an AA to buy into a team philosophy.

I talk crap about Calipari for just about every reason you can think of.......jealousy, lack of basketball knowledge, but mainly just totally despising everything about the guy.  He could be the love child of John Wooden and Mike Krzgyzosfiesky, and I'd still think he belongs behind bars.

That's irrational, but it's the truth.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 19, 2016, 02:37:13 pm
I talk crap about Calipari for just about every reason you can think of.......jealousy, lack of basketball knowledge, but mainly just totally despising everything about the guy.  He could be the love child of John Wooden and Mike Krzgyzosfiesky, and I'd still think he belongs behind bars.

Preach brother.

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

lynbug

Remember the definition of insanity.........until Mike becomes willing to make changes we can just expect more of the same.

TNhawgfan

I don't have a problem with you hating him or Kentucky because I do too. I also think he's a heck of a good recruiter, motivator, and, yes, coach.

intelligence

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 19, 2016, 02:33:20 pm
Yeah, damn kids these days...

I used to stack you japs 4 ft high and use you for sandbags

maxhog5

Quote from: TrueBlue link=topic=609546.msg10192785#msg1
0192785 date=1455912172

Get tired of hearing this.

His base salary is not $3.3 million.

Apparently you are right.  It is $3 million and going up to $3.5 million in 2018.
http://shockerhoops.net/index.php/2015/10/05/gregg-marshalls-contract-details-released/

TrueBlue

Kids Don't Like This Kind of Ball?

You mean the "losing" kind of ball that we play?

I agree. I wouldn't like it very much either.

TrueBlue

Sed76

Kids with dollar signs in their eyes and legit talent to get to the NBA want to play in a system that will get them to that next level. If you want to be a NASA engineer you don't go to community college with your buddies. You go to the best school to prepare you for that career. How many guys have Arkansas put in the league since MA got here? Portis is the only one I can think of. That doesn't exactly sell yourself to elite talent that being a Razorback is the best decision. And of course you have to coach up the talent you get that isn't elite. That doesn't seem to be happening. I was all for Mike Anderson being hired since he had won at UAB and Missouri but it's obvious that it just isn't working for whatever reason. With the right hire it won't take another 5 years to rebuild. The guy UALR hired is a Bobby Knight disciple and has done a wonderful job turning that team around. So there are some guys out there who aren't household names who can get the job done. Just gotta be willing to put a end to this experiment and move forward.

fineswine

I think it's time you gave up being an attorney and became a judge. I like the way you think.

HiggiePiggy

I'm pretty sure it's not the type of basketball.  The losing is what kids don't like to see.  We have been terrible this year and have had maybe 2 or 3 good seasons in the last 20 years.   Stop losing and all of a sudden the type of play is liked again.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

tophawg19

one thing about trapping . in the Nolan years most teams had 2 or at most 3 guys who could handle a ball well. you could trap them and force turnovers . These days , even the bigs can bring the ball down. Most teams have 5 guys on the floor who can handle pressure
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HiggiePiggy

We just don't have a good offense.  We continue to cause teams to turn the ball over way more than what we turnover. We just don't do anything with it majority of the time. Heck in our games we got blown out we forced 18 turnovers against Ole Miss and only had 12 turnovers ourselves. In the blowout against Mississippi State we had only 10 turnovers and forced 17 on Mississippi State. We just have a terrible shooting team. This team wants to jack up 3s all day long instead of actually doing an in out game.   

PonderinHog

I don't think we have a great offense, but don't we lead the SEC in scoring?  I don't want to talk about our defense right now.

latrops

It was suggested that CMA is underwhelming as a recruiter in part because of our style of play.  Of course what Anderson does isn't exactly what Huggins, Pitino, or Smart does... but the slight differences are unlikely to make much difference in recruiting.  Anderson has had success in the relatively recent past with this system.

i don't really recall that much complaining about recruiting prior to last April.   Andersons recruiting record was more mediocre to good than it was awful.  If things played out like most expected (Williams, Qualls and Babb return, Kapita arrives), then we are in much better shape right now.  Unfortunately, pretty much everything has gone wrong over the last 10 months... Especially this year's record and the Monk rejection.  Those two things have really killed whatever momentum Anderson had going, to where the trajectory is now not looking so good.

PonderinHog

Quote from: latrops on February 19, 2016, 08:38:45 pm
It was suggested that CMA is underwhelming as a recruiter in part because of our style of play.  Of course what Anderson does isn't exactly what Huggins, Pitino, or Smart does... but the slight differences are unlikely to make much difference in recruiting.  Anderson has had success in the relatively recent past with this system.

i don't really recall that much complaining about recruiting prior to last April.   Andersons recruiting record was more mediocre to good than it was awful.  If things played out like most expected (Williams, Qualls and Babb return, Kapita arrives), then we are in much better shape right now.  Unfortunately, pretty much everything has gone wrong over the last 10 months... Especially this year's record and the Monk rejection.  Those two things have really killed whatever momentum Anderson had going, to where the trajectory is now not looking so good.
You just described the perfect shitstorm.  If it doesn't kill us, it will make us stronger.

WBOBO

If Mike Anderson would walk off the court like Nolan did against Texas, maybe these boys would start playing defense.  They just refuse to play hard nosed gritty defense.  Or heck pull a Calipari and get chunked out of the game to get their attention!
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

LR_Matt

PonderinHog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 19, 2016, 01:43:57 pm
Quote from: LR_Matt on February 19, 2016, 09:47:28 pm
Agreed.
Or 1% the recruiter....

Then why is his head to head record against Calipari close to 50 percent? 

LR_Matt

Anybody can win a regular season home game.... Auburn sure proved that this year

Better question.... Why haven't we been to the NCAA 50% of MA's time here???

HiggiePiggy

Calipari has connections.  His overall coaching is average to above average.   It's not hard to win a lot when you have the best players every single year. 

billmontgomery10

Anderson could use another Scott Edgar. Best recruiter in the history of Arkansas basketball. He and Nolan were a great team. There's not a single player on campus who could have started for the late 80's, early 90's Hogs. It's time to shake up the assistant coaching staff if MA wants to weather the storm.

Randy Johnson

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 19, 2016, 03:35:49 am
Well I'm nearing 55 and the now has been going on for as long as the younger people have had developed brains. We may need to adjust our approach since our return to 40 minutes of hell has mostly just been hell on us.

well it is time to be a big boy and stop crying about one season

The real Hogules

Quote from: JenksHawg on February 19, 2016, 12:42:42 pm
I would suggest that the difference in CMA and CBH is the ability to recruit by their respective staffs.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Torqued pork

Quote from: Randy Johnson on February 20, 2016, 03:58:21 am

well it is time to be a big boy and stop crying about one season
One season? Ha! I wish.

Cure

Quote from: latrops on February 19, 2016, 05:41:06 am
I'm pretty sure those two coaches, though I wouldn't say Shaka Smart is that type of instructor, are preparing their players for the league by teaching them plenty of basketball IQ.

As a reminder:

Quote"It's been different," Portis said last week after practice. "Coming from college to this is very different. College is more up-and-down, tempo type of thing. NBA is more confined and structure-based. It's different because at my college, we didn't even run plays. We just got me the ball or got [Arkansas teammate] Mike Qualls the ball, a clear-out type thing. But now it's more of a dribble-drive, setting pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, so it's kind of different for me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2600224-bobby-portis-still-waiting-but-ready-for-opportunity-with-chicago-bulls
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

PonderinHog