Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chances Mike retires? (St. John's)

Started by Hawg Red, February 18, 2016, 03:48:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

I see a lot of posters saying Mike has quit on the team.

If that's even remotely true, what are the odds he retires after this season? I wouldn't expect them to be better than 50%, but Nolan was around the same age when he stopped coaching (in college -- I know, circumstances). Maybe Mike has just had enough of the current climate of college basketball and how nearly impossible it is for him to field consistently competitive teams and still do things his way. He did just receive a verbal commitment from a 2019 recruit but I wouldn't think that would definitely mean he isn't thinking about retiring.

Thoughts?

HOGINTENNESSEE

I seriously doubt it. I would put it 99% no

Hawg Red

hogsanity

Retires after this season, on his own? 0.000000001% chance.

Retires after this season to avoid being fired? 3.0% chance.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on February 18, 2016, 03:54:41 pm
Retires after this season, on his own? 0.000000001% chance.

Retires after this season to avoid being fired? 3.0% chance.

Not this season but maybe next.  I still think he will have a job lined up rather than retire if next season is a bust.

Edit:  I also think he would take that job before getting fired if next season is a bust.

Atlhogfan1

Well retirement can come from personal reasons including his or someone close to him like a health reason.  So can only guess from a professional standpoint.  I don't think he is ready to give up on this.  It just feels though somewhat like deja vu and the last seasons of Nolan in the way that Nolan didn't want to give up as he thought he maybe could make one more run.  Mike isn't young. But at 56, he could coach another decade as long as health holds up.  I'm sure he wouldn't want to go out like this.  The only way I could see it, other than a personal reason, is that if it would guarantee TJ a shot.  And I don't think that would be an easy sell at all to the decision makers. 

Again, I'm not ready to say the players have quit.  But the way his last season at Mizzou ended when he may have already had his mind on leaving should be concerning now.  Not that he is leaving but he has seemingly had a season where both he and his team may have quit. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 18, 2016, 03:58:54 pm
Well retirement can come from personal reasons including his or someone close to him like a health reason.  So can only guess from a professional standpoint.  I don't think he is ready to give up on this.  It just feels though somewhat like deja vu and the last seasons of Nolan in the way that Nolan didn't want to give up as he thought he maybe could make one more run.  Mike isn't young. But at 56, he could coach another decade as long as health holds up.  I'm sure he wouldn't want to go out like this.  The only way I could see it, other than a personal reason, is that if it would guarantee TJ a shot.  And I don't think that would be an easy sell at all to the decision makers. 

Again, I'm not ready to say the players have quit.  But the way his last season at Mizzou ended when he may have already had his mind on leaving should be concerning now.  Not that he is leaving but he has seemingly had a season where both he and his team may have quit.

I'd rather re-hire Pelphrey than promote T.J.

Not even playing.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 18, 2016, 04:01:09 pm
I'd rather re-hire Pelphrey than promote T.J.

Not even playing.

It wouldn't happen. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Razorod

I think what might be more likely than Anderson retiring is that he might look for an opportunity elsewhere if the situation presents itself. It would have to be a job that would be viewed as a lateral (or close to it) move and comparable in pay. Kind of like Tubby going to Minnesota when the KY natives were getting restless or Haith leaving Mizzou and taking the Tulsa job.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hobhog

Quote from: Razorod on February 18, 2016, 04:09:04 pm
I think what might be more likely than Anderson retiring is that he might look for an opportunity elsewhere if the situation presents itself. It would have to be a job that would be viewed as a lateral (or close to it) move and comparable in pay. Kind of like Tubby going to Minnesota when the KY natives were getting restless or Haith leaving Mizzou and taking the Tulsa job.

Maybe he'd go back to Tulsa.....win/win

bvillepig

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 18, 2016, 03:48:33 pm

If that's even remotely true, what are the odds he retires after this season? I wouldn't expect them to be better than 50%, but Nolan was around the same age when he stopped coaching (in college -- I know, circumstances). Maybe Mike has just had enough of the current climate of college basketball and how nearly impossible it is for him to field consistently competitive teams and still do things his way. He did just receive a verbal commitment from a 2019 recruit but I wouldn't think that would definitely mean he isn't thinking about retiring.

Thoughts?

Not that I think it will happen but.....if MA should be fired would this bring Nolan rushing to his defense talking about how ungrateful, prejudiced, whatever, Arkansas fans are?  I know many fans across the country have watched the ESPN special  that ends with Nolan talking about MA bringing back the glory days.  Could this turn into another coaching, recruiting disaster?  Just wondering. 

Sooie71923

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 18, 2016, 03:48:33 pm

Thoughts?

It's not remotely true
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Ironhawg

MA is way too stubborn to retire after this season.

Wild Bill Hog

hamARchy in the USA

MA has the opportunity to do something that Nolan did not.

Retire gracefully.

HoopS

I don't believe he has quit on this team.

Sivad

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 18, 2016, 08:55:48 pm
MA has the opportunity to do something that Nolan did not.

Retire gracefully.
Nolan had the opportunity but not the ability.

Randy Johnson

I'd say there is a very good chance he will retire from Arkansas when he is very old many years from now.

pigture perfect

He's too young to fully retire. He could easily go into broadcasting though. He's well liked and well spoken, so I could see that.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OnTheHillHogFan

He's not retiring and he hasn't quit on this team
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Torqued pork

MA will be here next year and in all probability the year after that if even a trace of improvement is shown.

Embrace reality and take a nap.

Sharky

Zero chance. He'd be crazy to "retire" and give up his buyout. That buyout also prevents him from being fired until 2018 at minimum. Coaches are rarely released with more than 1 or 2 years left on their contracts, and he's contracted through 2020.

hogwood

Quote from: lynbug on February 18, 2016, 07:05:28 pm
Not that I think it will happen but.....if MA should be fired would this bring Nolan rushing to his defense talking about how ungrateful, prejudiced, whatever, Arkansas fans are?  I know many fans across the country have watched the ESPN special  that ends with Nolan talking about MA bringing back the glory days.  Could this turn into another coaching, recruiting disaster?  Just wondering.

Definitely would not be good for our program.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 19, 2016, 03:24:49 am
MA will be here next year and in all probability the year after that if even a trace of improvement is shown.

Embrace losing and take a nap.

arcowboy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 19, 2016, 12:00:04 pm
NOpe He coming back.

And finish taking Arkansas basketball to hell in a hand basket

root_hawg

RedRock

Retire next season?  He retired 5 years ago.