Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are "Settlers"

Started by HankHog, February 18, 2016, 12:47:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HankHog

The new Directv commercials that are out right now remind me of a lot of the basketball fanbase. 

https://youtu.be/ASyhJ0lRIU0

Some of us are like the son who comes out and asks the dad why they can't have Directv or in our case, an upgraded coach.  The dad, who represents all of the MA apologists, gives the answer, "because son we are settlers".

In basketball we have become "settlers" for mediocrity.  We have been duped into thinking we can do no better so we are better off just "settling" for what we have.  It is eerily similar to where we were at under HDN in football a few years back.  Thankfully we broke out of that slumber and have now proven with CBB that we could do better.

Pork Twain

Some are but I think most are not.  We want a better product and that is why we have fired the last two coaches and why MA was hired with top 25 pay.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hollywood_HOGan45

Exactly what I was thinking.

Its starting to look a little like the 04-05 football years where we were "under the NCAA cloud".

Nutt was better than Ford but he wasnt taking us anywhere.

Mike is much MUCH better than Pel but Im afraid he's not taking us anywhere either.

LRHawg

We paid for relevancy and to get back to the tournament but so far we are not getting ROI. Mike has one more year.

Torqued pork

Our swagger has been beaten down over the years.

We're like the parents of a chronic D student.  After awhile an occasional C starts to look pretty good.

revolution

So I guess I'm gonna be foot-stompin' this weekend instead of watching the game against Mizzery!

hogfan98

I threw away my faceless doll and basket of cabbages after last night.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 18, 2016, 01:05:52 pm
Our swagger has been beaten down over the years.

We're like the parents of a chronic D student.  After awhile an occasional C starts to look pretty good.

Yep as long as the money coming in Long will be Happy.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HOGINTENNESSEE

We aren't settlers. MA will get another year. If he doesn't make the tourney next year. Well he is probably out.

Uncommon

No we are not.  This is his first decline year since being here.  As things stand now with 6 games left, you give him another year.  My opinion will change based on the performances the rest of the season.  If the analytical team ranking at the end of the regular season is lower than the ranking after his 1st season, I believe he should be fired.

At the end of Mike's 1st year, Arkansas was rated the #127 team according to Dance Card, an analytical service used to determine likelihood of at large NCAA Tournament bids therefore ranking teams from best to worst.  http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance2012.htm

After last night's game, we are rated the #117 team with Missouri remaining on our schedule as the only team with a worse ranking.  http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm

If Arkansas were to fall to #127 or lower, I would look at finding a new coach because you can't have that big of a drop in one year.  It just shows a lack of team/roster management.

So right now he deserves another year, but he has a small margin of error the rest of the way.

HotlantaHog

It is a one year decline after yearly improvements for four years. Yes it is disappointing, but one year does not make a trend.

Lord of the Styes

jgphillips3

Quote from: HotlantaHog on February 18, 2016, 04:27:39 pm
It is a one year decline after yearly improvements for four years. Yes it is disappointing, but one year does not make a trend.

I say Mike should get next year as a make the "NCAA or bust" year.  However, this is not a "decline" this year...it is a complete collapse.  A decline would be something like 19-12.  It took him four years to get to the NCAA and win one game.  I'll forgive him this disaster of a year, but we are too good of a program to miss the NCAA more than 50% of the time.  Get in next year and I'll be patient.  No NCAA next year and I'll believe we should roll the dice on an up and comer.