Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the difference between Arkansas and Missouri?

Started by The Boar War, February 18, 2016, 08:19:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

Aside from his history here, one of the reasons I wanted to hire Mike was the fact that he rebuilt the program at Missouri.  Granted they weren't winning NCAA Championships but they did win the Big 12, go to the Elite Eight, and were fixtures in the tournament.  When he left he had a good team that ended up being a 2 seed in the tournament.  And this was all after a complete rebuild where he had to kick players off the team and clean up a mess left by Quinn Snyder.

So what's the difference?  Why, in year 5, are we no closer to 1) winning the SEC Tournament, 2) being a year in year out tournament team, and 3) having a talented team than we were 6 years ago?  The Big 12 was without a doubt the better conference but I don't consider Mizzou a better program.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Boar War on February 18, 2016, 08:19:28 am
Aside from his history here, one of the reasons I wanted to hire Mike was the fact that he rebuilt the program at Missouri.  Granted they weren't winning NCAA Championships but they did win the Big 12, go to the Elite Eight, and were fixtures in the tournament.  When he left he had a good team that ended up being a 2 seed in the tournament.  And this was all after a complete rebuild where he had to kick players off the team and clean up a mess left by Quinn Snyder.

So what's the difference?  Why, in year 5, are we no closer to 1) winning the SEC Tournament, 2) being a year in year out tournament team, and 3) having a talented team than we were 6 years ago?  The Big 12 was without a doubt the better conference but I don't consider Mizzou a better program.

When he was at Mizzu he still had friends and family that had quality basketball playing sons coming out of HS. At Arkansas, if not for Portis having been a die hard Hog commit since he was about 5 years old, we'd be looking at a 5th consecutive season of NO POST SEASON PLAY AT ALL.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mizzouman

Guard play.  He had it at Mizzou, they don't at Arkansas.  The question is why not?  That's a mystery.

The_Iceman

When he was at Mizzou, he was fighting to prove himself. He wasn't content or satisfied with where he was. He lost that when he came here.

jkstock04

Quote from: mizzouman on February 18, 2016, 08:28:42 am
Guard play.  He had it at Mizzou, they don't at Arkansas.  The question is why not?  That's a mystery.

On the CMA went "0 for Arkansas in recruiting" thread yesterday I read that we were stacked at the guard position.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 18, 2016, 08:31:47 am
On the CMA went "0 for Arkansas in recruiting" thread yesterday I read that we were stacked at the guard position.

Being stacked with guards and having guards capable of doing what Mike INSISTS on doing are two totally different things. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mizzouman

Numbers don't mean quality.

Pork Twain

Failure to recruit top players that are able to sustain success or be in one place long enough to have recruiting deficiencies exposed.  He peaks with other coach's talent and then declines.  Plus a lack of family connections.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Breems

Quote from: mizzouman on February 18, 2016, 08:28:42 am

This. And it's no mystery. He hasn't brought good guards in.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on February 18, 2016, 08:54:33 am

That's what happens when you lose good developmental prospects like Nick Babb, have no relationship with KeVaughn Allen to be able to land him, and let Malik Monk go to Kentucky.

He hasn't even been able to land solid 3 star guards that fit his style and that he can develop. We're stuck relying on a Juco, a transfer, a walkon with no shot, a 5'11" guard that can't shoot and isn't that quick, and a guy that took 4 full years to develop his potential.

nwahogfan1

I guess they were talking about the two highly rated but unproven JUCO guards coming in.  Funny how we can do that.  To put all of our hope on unproven players who have not gotten on campus and if they do not make grades they will not be on campus.  We live in the hope of always next year thought.  LOL

GoHogs1091

I posted here on Hogville when we hired him that he would have to step up his coaching in the SEC.  I took some flack for posting that.  SEC basketball Head Coaches simply will take advantage of the garbage play of Anderson's system/teams.

In the Big 12 he really only faced 1 good Head Basketball Coach (Bill Self).  His record against Self was 1 win and 9 losses.  At the time Anderson was in the Big 12, other than Self, the rest of the Big 12 Head Coaches were mostly mediocre Head Coaches.

The SEC gets maligned nationally as a basketball conference, but it does have a group of Head Basketball Coaches who are very experienced and who know how to coach in 1 game situations against Anderson's outdated philosophy/system.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The Boar War on February 18, 2016, 08:19:28 am

You didn't look hard enough as to what and why it was happening at Mizzou. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The Boar War

MikePiazza

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2016, 10:00:23 am
I posted here on Hogville when we hired him that he would have to step up his coaching in the SEC.  I took some flack for posting that.  SEC basketball Head Coaches simply will take advantage of the garbage play of Anderson's system/teams.

In the Big 12 he really only faced 1 good Head Basketball Coach (Bill Self).  His record against Self was 1 win and 9 losses.  At the time Anderson was in the Big 12, other than Self, the rest of the Big 12 Head Coaches were mostly mediocre Head Coaches.

The SEC gets maligned nationally as a basketball conference, but it does have a group of Head Basketball Coaches who are very experienced and who know how to coach in 1 game situations against Anderson's outdated philosophy/system.

Do you honestly believe this stuff?

Scott Drew went to an Elite Eight while Mike was at Mizzou. He's a solid coach. Mark Turgeon made the tourney every year he was at A&M. Had made the Sweet 16 at Wichita State and set it up for Marshall. Frank Martin went to the tourney all but one year while at K-State.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

mizzouman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2016, 10:00:23 am

Well....Big12 hoops is better than the SEC over all and has been even when CMA was coaching in the Big12.

code red

The difference between Arkansas and Missouri is......most folks in Arkansas have teeth.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Basically there is no difference between Arkansas and Missouri with relation to Mike.  The bottom line is Mike coaches for turnovers.  He doesn't know how to coach half court defense.  He coaches up offense and tries to turn folks over and hang on....and eventually it will cost him his job.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

bphi11ips

I had a similar question and am glad someone raised it, because I was about to start a thread and ask why Anderson took UAB/Mizzou to the NCAA 6 out of 9 years and had a tourney record of 7-6, while, after this year, he will have taken the Hogs only once in 5 years, winning only one tourney game.  It doesn't seem as if the timing of his success in the tourney screams OCP (other coach's players). 

I get all of the thoughts about style of play, etc., but Anderson's lack of success at Arkansas is still puzzling given his relative success elsewhere.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 18, 2016, 01:18:07 pm
I had a similar question and am glad someone raised it, because I was about to start a thread and ask why Anderson took UAB/Mizzou to the NCAA 6 out of 9 years and had a tourney record of 7-6, while, after this year, he will have taken the Hogs only once in 5 years, winning only one tourney game.  It doesn't seem as if the timing of his success in the tourney screams OCP (other coach's players). 

I get all of the thoughts about style of play, etc., but Anderson's lack of success at Arkansas is still puzzling given his relative success elsewhere.   

It is also puzzling given the overall putrid state of the SEC the last 5 years. It is not like you have to have had a great team to win in this league.

hogfan10

Quote from: hogsanity on February 18, 2016, 01:42:07 pm
It is also puzzling given the overall putrid state of the SEC the last 5 years. It is not like you have to have had a great team to win in this league.

Your first post in this thread is the answer. The only big-time players he's landed (other than Portis), he was connected to in some way.
Evidently the well is dry, for now.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 18, 2016, 01:18:07 pm

It has been timing especially Mizzou.  At UAB, he could take players who wouldn't have gotten into Arkansas plus the system is perfect for mid major basketball where you don't have to have as complete of teams especially in the frontcourt.  Tweeners and athletic, quick guards he could get to UAB.  Demario Eddins who was recruited to Arkansas but couldn't get eligible was a key contributor at UAB.  At Mizzou, it was timing.  His nephew+the Presseys+Bowers+ a guard like Denmon from KC. 

What people have ignored was how his Mizzou career ended, the scholarship and roster situation he left behind.  I would strongly dislike him if I were a Mizzou fan. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 18, 2016, 01:42:07 pm

It shouldn't be as puzzling.  Arkansas and the SEC has higher academic requirements including with the JC's.  When you factor that with an underwhelming recruiting staff who has needed personal connections to build their best teams, it isn't a reliable way to build consistent winners.  I think you also have to factor in the quality of officiating and the familiarity with how we play.  The way we play can be heavily influenced by the officials.  And opposing coaches in conference aren't surprised by what we do.  We may be unique but it doesn't mean they don't know how to play against it.  Basically, the SEC shut this down once and we tried to bring it back.  It is a reason it has had some NCAAT success in the past as outside the conf teams with a short time to prepare aren't as effective as even bottomfeeder in conf teams are sometimes.  These were all things discussed well before we brought him back.  Too many ignored it or shouted it down as you know. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 18, 2016, 12:48:42 pm
Do you honestly believe this stuff?

Scott Drew went to an Elite Eight while Mike was at Mizzou. He's a solid coach. Mark Turgeon made the tourney every year he was at A&M. Had made the Sweet 16 at Wichita State and set it up for Marshall. Frank Martin went to the tourney all but one year while at K-State.

If Drew, Turgeon, and Martin were so good, then Kansas wouldn't have been winning the Big 12 Conference title practically every season.

Also, as far as I know, Mike Anderson never had a 5-8 conference record at this point in time in the season when he was in the Big 12.  The Big 12 was simply a mediocre basketball conference (with the exception of Kansas) when Anderson was in the Big 12.

hobhog

The Boar War

MountieDawg

Quote from: Breems on February 18, 2016, 08:54:33 am

Sad if guards are the problem since he has been starting four of them.... That would make me say forwards are the problem.... 
SEC!

MikePiazza

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2016, 06:03:56 pm
If Drew, Turgeon, and Martin were so good, then Kansas wouldn't have been winning the Big 12 Conference title practically every season.

Also, as far as I know, Mike Anderson never had a 5-8 conference record at this point in time in the season when he was in the Big 12.  The Big 12 was simply a mediocre basketball conference (with the exception of Kansas) when Anderson was in the Big 12.

Lol, no. Kansas has the advantages of being the premier program in that conference and Self is the best coach, but to say every other coach in the league was mediocre and the conference was mediocre was false.

And Mike was 5-8 at this point in the season his second year at Mizzou. But facts don't matter to you. Your posts are always chock full of opinion that you try to pass off as factual, and you have a weird obsession with Mississippi State.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 18, 2016, 10:45:02 pm
Lol, no. Kansas has the advantages of being the premier program in that conference and Self is the best coach, but to say every other coach in the league was mediocre and the conference was mediocre was false.

And Mike was 5-8 at this point in the season his second year at Mizzou. But facts don't matter to you. Your posts are always chock full of opinion that you try to pass off as factual, and you have a weird obsession with Mississippi State.

That Conference has risen above mediocrity with Lon Kruger and Shaka Smart being hired into the Conference.

The bottom line is that Anderson racked up wins against mediocrity such as Jeff Capel, Rick Barnes, Sean Sutton, etc.

Etowah

Without getting his nephew to transfer from Vanderbilt, Demarre Carroll and then getting his two god son's, the Pressey's, his record at Missouri would have looked much different.

Much of what Missouri is dealing is right now started because Mike Anderson did not recruit his last 3 years there.  That and the fact they hired a cheater who could not coach after MA in Frank Haith.

MikePiazza

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2016, 11:03:37 pm
That Conference has risen above mediocrity with Lon Kruger and Shaka Smart being hired into the Conference.

The bottom line is that Anderson racked up wins against mediocrity such as Jeff Capel, Rick Barnes, Sean Sutton, etc.

Yeah, and Capel went to the Elite Eight one year at OU.

Rick Barnes is mediocre? Maybe his last couple of years at Texas, but from '99 to '12 he won at LEAST 20 games every season and went to a Final Four and made the second weekend five times, and the Elite Eight three times. But yeah, he's mediocre.

Your argument is weak. Try again.