Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When do we realise that basic fundamentals win games?

Started by RacinRazorback, February 18, 2016, 07:15:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RacinRazorback

Wow! Last night has to be one of the all time lows for BWA! When does the coaching staff start coaching fundamentals, Rebounding, half court defense, transition defense, and for the love of god.......the easiest play of all.......make free throws! The guy from Awbern, Brown I think it was lit us up from 3 all night long, and I don't think we contested his shot the entire night! After watching the game last night I am convinced its time for someone else to lead this team. We don't even defend the home court anymore. This was a terrible Auburn team on a 7 game losing streak that came to BWA and spanked us. WE NEED RECRUITING! The current coaching staff either can't or won't. For us to have a better future team, we need to hire people who get the job done and quit living in the past. Last night was the WEAKEST 40 minutes and was HELL to watch!

cypress rock

Too much standing around on offense and no tenacity on defense. The revolving door of substitutes still blows my mind. Playing Miles over Thompson at the end is just crazy.

Sivad

Quote from: RacinRazorback on February 18, 2016, 07:15:24 am

We need to hire people who get the job done and quit living in the past.

Truer words never spoken.

Razorpigg

Sure are ALOT of "bench warmers" starting hate threads lately...

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Nolan got knocked for the same things.

It's not the style per se (although you could argue it's lesser effectiveness due to rules changes), but the personnel.  We simply need to recruit much better and hit with great recruits occasionally, and develop good recruits as needed.

We're not getting that done, and the JUCOs are a bandaid at best.  They'll be gone too quickly, assuming they all work out.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogsanity

Too many people equate "fundamental" basketball with "boring" basketball. You can play fundamentally sound basketball at any pace. Fundamental basketball does not mean making 15 passes every trip down the floor, or running set plays every possession. It does not mean not pressing on defense. It just means doing whatever you choose to do the right way. Blocking out on the boards, playing defense with your feet, setting screens in the right spot. That is fundamental basketball, the pace you choose to run is up to the coach.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 19, 2016, 10:07:31 am
Nolan got knocked for the same things.

It's not the style per se (although you could argue it's lesser effectiveness due to rules changes), but the personnel.  We simply need to recruit much better and hit with great recruits occasionally, and develop good recruits as needed.

We're not getting that done, and the JUCOs are a bandaid at best.  They'll be gone too quickly, assuming they all work out.

When Nolan came to Arkansas and promised his new brand of basketball, he was raked over the coals those first couple of years when we weren't very good.  Undisciplined, street ball, hand slapping defense, playground ... you name it, his brand of ball was called it.  Then we won, and won big, and then everybody started understanding the genius behind what he was doing.  It was brilliant because at the time he was about the only one doing it and no other teams knew how to respond to it.  He was the pioneer, the innovator, and since he had great players to run his offense and his defense, he was basically saying "we will play this way and win; it's up to you to adjust."

Fast forward twenty years or so.  The old Bobby Knight schemes aren't run anymore, or at least very little.  Nolan's systems, or at least variations of them, are run by just about everybody.  For those that don't run those systems, at least they see it often enough to know how to combat it.  It's no longer the innovation; it's the norm.  And if you don't have the talent to run it well, you not only don't have the advantage anymore because of your system, you are at a disadvantage because you are running the same system with inferior players.

In short, the basketball world has caught up to what we once did so uniquely and so well.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Sivad

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 19, 2016, 10:43:17 amIn short, the basketball world has caught up to what we once did so uniquely and so well.
Anderson didn't get the memo.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: RacinRazorback on February 18, 2016, 07:15:24 am
Wow! Last night has to be one of the all time lows for BWA! When does the coaching staff start coaching fundamentals, Rebounding, half court defense, transition defense, and for the love of god.......the easiest play of all.......make free throws! The guy from Awbern, Brown I think it was lit us up from 3 all night long, and I don't think we contested his shot the entire night! After watching the game last night I am convinced its time for someone else to lead this team. We don't even defend the home court anymore. This was a terrible Auburn team on a 7 game losing streak that came to BWA and spanked us. WE NEED RECRUITING! The current coaching staff either can't or won't. For us to have a better future team, we need to hire people who get the job done and quit living in the past. Last night was the WEAKEST 40 minutes and was HELL to watch!

I have complained about this over and over.  It is just not Mikes style and that is the answer I get.  mike to me is a one trick pony coach.  He prides him self on being a players coach and letting his kids play but wouldn't be nice if he would teach all the fundamentals so when he turns them lose they knew how to play better.

lynbug

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 20, 2016, 08:02:38 am
I have complained about this over and over.  It is just not Mikes style and that is the answer I get.  mike to me is a one trick pony coach.  He prides him self on being a players coach and letting his kids play but wouldn't be nice if he would teach all the fundamentals so when he turns them lose they knew how to play better.

I have decided that Mike must be very stubborn.  For instance, Miles....MA recruited him, at some point he must have thought that Miles could help, even though evidence points to the contrary.  On the other hand, he reportedly had been courting Jimmy Witt for years.  Now that he's here he doesn't get enough PT to really get into his rhythm, IMO.  I think it was the Mistake game in which he scored 14. ( I know....it didn't really matter)  But the point is...I think he COULD contribute more if given the chance.

Slater

Any team that does not walk the ball up the floor and grind down the shock clock has every idiot blasting them for lack of fundamentals, defense and discipline.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

BigHog396

Quote from: Slater on February 20, 2016, 02:31:53 pm
Any team that does not walk the ball up the floor and grind down the shock clock has every idiot blasting them for lack of fundamentals, defense and discipline.
Have you watched any of our games?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2016, 10:30:15 am
Too many people equate "fundamental" basketball with "boring" basketball. You can play fundamentally sound basketball at any pace. Fundamental basketball does not mean making 15 passes every trip down the floor, or running set plays every possession. It does not mean not pressing on defense. It just means doing whatever you choose to do the right way. Blocking out on the boards, playing defense with your feet, setting screens in the right spot. That is fundamental basketball, the pace you choose to run is up to the coach.
Best post you've ever made, Hogsanity.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Slater on February 20, 2016, 02:31:53 pm
not one person is saying anything close to that here. 

Asshattery should be bannable.
All Gas, No Brakes!