Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It'll be Interesting to Watch

Started by WilsonHog, February 17, 2016, 10:24:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

It never entered my mind that we would lose tonight. Never considered it as a possibility.

It's one thing to play teams close but lose on neutral courts or on the road. Quite another to get blown out twice on the road and then lose at home to an Auburn team we were favored to beat by 16.

Someone walks by you and farts, you pay it little mind. A minor annoyance. But if they walk up and drop a turd on your shoes, now they have your full attention.

It'll be interesting to sit back and see how many Razorback fans who were on the fence about Mike before tonight are now thinking, "Wait...what the hell?"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 17, 2016, 10:24:49 pm
It never entered my mind that we would lose tonight. Never considered it as a possibility.

It's one thing to play teams close but lose on neutral courts or on the road. Quite another to get blown out twice on the road and then lose at home to an Auburn team we were favored to beat by 16.

Someone walks by you and farts, you pay it little mind. A minor annoyance. But if they walk up and drop a choad on your shoes, now they have your full attention.

It'll be interesting to sit back and see how many Razorback fans who were on the fence about Mike before tonight are now thinking, "Wait...what the hell?"

Eloquent.  Nice post.

I didn't expect it either.  Really thought AU staying close was going to be a stretch to expect.  The lowered expectations for this season was understandable.  I think we all agree.  But you can't give a pass for these last 3 games.  We aren't losing to the upper tier of the conference. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mmweber01

I'm definitely one. This has gotten way to embarrassing. Like Mike but his bench is the worst in the SEC. Clean house or leave.

Atlhogfan1

Does Long come out with a vote of confidence/support at some point? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Justifiable Hogicide

It's a sad thing but becoming crystal clear for all to see.
Anxiety is building - are we going to keep banging our heads against the nostalgia wall or sweep up the broken pieces, make a clean break to the future and move on?

Danny J

We were beat tonight AT HOME by a team that has all kinds of turmoil behind the scenes and injuries that has not scored a single point more than 68 over the last seven games. They scored 90 on a team that was promised by a guy making over $2m per year that his teams would guard the other teams once they got off the bus. That same team before tonight had lost 7 in a row.

I don't care to hear the excuses any longer about how our staff was blindsided by the departures of Qualls, Portis and Babb. I don't care to hear any more about Williams and Beards off the court counterfeiting and fighting at bars. Tonights loss to a team with all the aforementioned problems coming into tonights game is inexcusable.

MY GOD MAN!!! We couldn't keep a 6'7" 250lb PG in front of us!!! Our staff was simply out-coached by a better staff. Pearl at Tenn likes to play uptempo. He likes to make it almost impossible to inbounds the ball against his defense. He knows he doesn't have the players to do this so what does he do? He adjusts!!!! Hello!!!!

Hard to defend that coaching performance we saw tonight. I heard Bo talking all week about how this team has apparently hit a wall. So what is the solution? You guessed it!!! Trap and trap some more!!! Trap in the front court. Trap in the back court. Go for steals on every single possession.

Rant over....

Dropkick

Someone walks by you and farts, you pay it little mind. A minor annoyance. But if they walk up and drop a turd on your shoes, now they have your full attention.

Perfectly put, kudos!

Danny J

PS...Auburn showed up with only 7 scholarship players tonight.

bvillepig

I think a change at this point would be bad for the program but I am becoming very alarmed.
When things happen the way they have in the last week there is normally something going on in the clubhouse and the coach has lost the team. Don't know if that is true but we will see how much fight we have Saturday.

I agree that losing tonight never crossed my mind. I wonder if the team felt the same way?

I was thinking of crossing the state and going to the Missouri game Saturday but not sure now.

I will chalk this one up to a 19 for 31 free throw night and the the bad guys hitting 15 threes. However Saturday we will see.

HogBreath

Quote from: bvillepig on February 17, 2016, 10:42:06 pm
I think a change at this point would be bad for the program but I am becoming very alarmed.
When things happen the way they have in the last week there is normally something going on in the clubhouse and the coach has lost the team. Don't know if that is true but we will see how much fight we have Saturday.

I agree that losing tonight never crossed my mind. I wonder if the team felt the same way?

I was thinking of crossing the state and going to the Missouri game Saturday but not sure now.

I will chalk this one up to a 19 for 31 free throw night and the the bad guys hitting 15 threes. However Saturday we will see.
So a change would be bad, but staying the course will be good???  Gotcha!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Great post. This loss was more disturbing than the MSU debacle.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 17, 2016, 10:33:02 pm
Does Long come out with a vote of confidence/support at some point? 

100% yes.  As AD, it's Jeff Long's job to provide a false sense of hope to the fans.  He will take to social media & create his "safe space" for Mike.  As long as big donors justify Mike's salary, he will have a job.  I guess it will take Mike 6 years to get his players here.

Even "just OK" programs don't take 15 years to re-build.  In a weak SEC, we're now one of the weaker programs.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on February 17, 2016, 10:42:06 pm

Why would it be bad?

bvillepig

Quote from: HogBreath on February 17, 2016, 10:45:13 pm
So a change would be bad, but staying the course will be good???  Gotcha!
I don't know for sure and am starting to have some doubts but willing to see what happens. If Moses leaves I think Mike will be done.  I doesn't matter to me who the coach is but he is ours for now.

ChicoHog

The big challenge replacing him is getting the Good Old Boy Network to have some cajones and raise the money to fire him.  I am 100% certain it won't happen this year or probably even next year because of Anderson's connections.  But maybe if we miss the NCAA's and have another mediocre/poor season in 2017/18 he may be in trouble. 

bvillepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 17, 2016, 10:51:32 pm
Why would it be bad?

You really think a coaching search at this time would work out? 

I say the timing at the end of next year would be better if needed. However I don't think it will be needed.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on February 17, 2016, 11:03:43 pm
You really think a coaching search at this time would work out? 

I say the timing at the end of next year would be better if needed. However I don't think it will be needed.

Why would it not?  What is different about the end of next year?

What are the negatives right now about making a change?

Coaching community thinks Mike was treated unfairly by his "home" program?  He did have 5 seasons here.
Big time recruit who may go elsewhere?  No.  If Monk were signed for next season, maybe you consider it.  Good class but not one that should make a program think twice about making a coaching change if necessary.
Young team poised for great things?  Not really.  Moses has maybe one season left.  Bell is done.  Hannahs one season left. 

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 17, 2016, 11:03:41 pm
The big challenge replacing him is getting the Good Old Boy Network to have some cajones and raise the money to fire him.  I am 100% certain it won't happen this year or probably even next year because of Anderson's connections.  But maybe if we miss the NCAA's and have another mediocre/poor season in 2017/18 he may be in trouble. 

Isn't his buyout pretty cheap?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LA Football fan

If you really are thinking about replacing him, this year is just as good as next.  The key is making contact behind the scenes with the coach you want and making SURE he is the guy you want and that he WILL come if you fire Mike.  Now is the perfect time to be getting your guy lined up.  Couple weeks left in regular season, NCAA tourney coming up,  etc.    This season is history.  I don't think we make ANY tourney and the heat could continue to build if we lose to Missouri Saturday. 

I do think Mike is safe this year though.   I think Long lets him know that next year had better produce results or it is the end of the line.  I also think if we get hit with off the court problems this summer like last year, it may not matter what he does next year.

bvillepig

For four years the stock has trended up. The fifth year it went down . On the horizon is a good sign that the stock is going to trend even higher and stay there.   Do you unload or keep it?

We are all different but i would like to stay with it a little longer.

ke2743

There's always next year though.  Just wait until the players get here to fit the system.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on February 17, 2016, 11:21:49 pm
For four years the stock has trended up. The fifth year it went down . On the horizon is a good sign that the stock is going to trend even higher and stay there.   Do you unload or keep it?

Why did it go up?  Anderson or Portis + Qualls?

What is making the stock go back up higher?  Anderson?  Or Kingsley, current signed recruits, Gafford, Hill...?  What guarantee these players, similar or better players wouldn't be Hogs for the next few seasons?  Perhaps it would help make the job more attractive. 

PonderinHog

That's where I am presently, but a few more games like the last three and who knows?

HogCzar1

For me, I don't think you can evaluate the coach on one game. Rather, I think one needs to ask "Where are we as a program?"

Our basketball program is one that is of the top 20 programs in NCAA history based on performance. Back just about 10 years ago, Street and Smith's magazine rated us as one of the top 10 ALL time programs based on National Championships, Conference Championships, overall record, etc. Obviously, the last 15 years have been a huge dropoff.

However, ANY school that has a NCAA Championship banner won in the past 25 years, along with a rich history, is a program capable of winning at a high level. It amazes me that so many feel that we are incapable of winning at the level again. The history is there, the facilities are there, the conference is there, the fan base is there, and the coach's salary is there.

Without offering an opinion on Mike, one has to see that our program certainly is not achieving at a level that it is capable of. There are many fans who will back Mike, and say that he has improved the win total every year until now. That's true. Others will say that is misleading, and that the current staff has not only recruited at a sub-par level, we have lost key high level kids from the state. They argue that its hard to see where 3 JUCO players are going to turn a nearly 20 loss team into a NCAA team in one year.

The Razorback program basketball program should NEVER see itself short. This program has won at the VERY top level, and it can again.

For me, I personally think Mike will be back next year. However, he has to know that he is accountable for the program. That likely means a dramatic improvement with no excuses will be necessary next year for him to continue beyond that. And that does not mean a 18-12 record.

Beyond that, my biggest concern is that Jeff Long, and our UA leaders make absolutely certain that the expectations of the basketball program do not diminish, and that they must be prepared to make difficult decisions if necessary to protect that expectation.

pigmailyen

Most good coaches would be hesitant consider a program that routinely fires coaches who've recently notched NCAAT appearances, IMO.  Mike is 1 year removed. Heath had come off consecutive trips when he was excused.  Pelphrey was a Ken-tuck saboteur whose name shall never again be uttered by your faithful scribe.  Throw in the Altman boomerang and it looks shaky.

That said, this night wounds time.

lynbug

I know you don't put any stock in my opinion, but I decided to weigh in anyway.  Everyone in my peer group, both coaches and non-coaches all feel the same.  We desperately wanted this to work.  But we wonder if the jump from Conference USA (?), Big 12 to SEC may be a little much considering who he is surrounded by on the bench.  I think Mike frequently gets out coached simply based on in-game adjustments. And the SEC has become pretty loaded with tournament-tested coaches.  And surely something could be done about the late game, late shot clock brain freeze our players seems to have.  Then, as others have mentioned, we have the five coaches in 14 years (if you include Altman).  That factor would definitely affect our future possibilities.

The_Iceman

From The Stench: WilsonHog Edition

lynbug

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2016, 07:11:50 am
From The Stench: WilsonHog Edition

What did I say that was totally off--base?  I'm open to your opinion.

porkinsons disease

February 18, 2016, 07:35:41 am #28 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:10:51 am by porkinsons disease
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 17, 2016, 11:27:06 pm
Why did it go up?  Anderson or Portis + Qualls?

What is making the stock go back up higher?  Anderson?  Or Kingsley, current signed recruits, Gafford, Hill...?  What guarantee these players, similar or better players wouldn't be Hogs for the next few seasons?  Perhaps it would help make the job more attractive. 
Agreed. Everyone thinks the jucos are suddenly going to make everything better. Hopefully they will, but  putting all your eggs in that basket is foolish. We almost have to be better by default next year. The MA army will say that he has his players and is trending up while winning 19 games next year. Lather,rinse,repeat.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

SemperHawg

Quote from: pigmailyen on February 17, 2016, 11:47:10 pm
Most good coaches would be hesitant consider a program that routinely fires coaches who've recently notched NCAAT appearances, IMO.  Mike is 1 year removed. Heath had come off consecutive trips when he was excused.  Pelphrey was a Ken-tuck saboteur whose name shall never again be uttered by your faithful scribe.  Throw in the Altman boomerang and it looks shaky.

That said, this night wounds time.
To your point here I thought Tyler Wilson asked a pretty interesting question on the radio this morning.

Seeing as what Mike walked away from at Mizzou to come here.  Did Mike ruin Arkansas, or did Arkansas ruin Mike?

Pork Twain

Some are really holding out hope for this guy.  I am sure he is a great person but he is not a great recruiter or coach
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

swineology

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 18, 2016, 07:49:10 am
To your point here I thought Tyler Wilson asked a pretty interesting question on the radio this morning.

Seeing as what Mike walked away from at Mizzou to come here.  Did Mike ruin Arkansas, or did Arkansas ruin Mike?

Mike has ruined Mike
with his sub par recruiting, his unwillingness to change his style or make changes to his coaching staff, not to mention he's not a good x's and o's guy.
The team spends to much time trapping in the front court and the back court.
If he does teach fundamentals then he doesn't convey them to his players.

This was a terrible loss anyway you slice it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: swineology on February 18, 2016, 08:09:03 am
Mike has ruined Mike
with his sub par recruiting, his unwillingness to change his style or make changes to his coaching staff, not to mention he's not a good x's and o's guy.
The team spends to much time trapping in the front court and the back court.
If he does teach fundamentals then he doesn't convey them to his players.

This was a terrible loss anyway you slice it.

There is nothing to say Mike would have continued to have success at Mizzou.  He had a crap class coming in.  In reality he has never been anywhere long enough to show he can sustain success.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hogsanity

Quote from: HogCzar1 on February 17, 2016, 11:42:04 pm
For me, I don't think you can evaluate the coach on one game. Rather, I think one needs to ask "Where are we as a program?"

I can evaluate off of 5 seasons of games. They are making the same mistakes in year 5 they made in year one, it is with different players so it must be inherent in how they are being coached. Continually leaving players wide open for three pointers, continually having stagnant stretches on offense, inability to control average guards, much less one that can drive. Poor defensive rebounding, especially at crucial times in the game. Substitution patterns that leave the teams best players on the bench while offensively impotent lineups play spans of 5+ minutes without scoring more than 2 or 4 points.

Then of course we have the continual whiffs in recruiting.

I have said it many times, Mike is either unwilling or unable to change what he does. If he is unwilling to do so, that is the height of pride leading to selfishness. If he is unable, then he should be let go because a coach that can only coach one way is sure not worth 2.2mil a year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: lynbug on February 18, 2016, 07:22:28 am
What did I say that was totally off--base?  I'm open to your opinion.

Insider Hogville Joke you obviously did not get. My post was not directed towards you at all.

Ironhawg

February 18, 2016, 09:02:35 am #35 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:13:12 am by Ironhawg

I knew going in that this season was going to be a struggle.  I was able to excuse away the road losses to the fact that no one in the SEC wins consistently on the road except the top teams.  The loss to Auburn, however, was like a cold bucket of water in the face.  This wasn't just a bad Auburn team, it was a bad and very short-handed Auburn team.  Mike Anderson and his team allowed an SEC opponent playing 7 scholarship players and filled up by WALKONS to come into BWA and win!  When we were favored by 16!
I was willing to see what the Jucos brought to the table next season, but I now believe MA is a good guy, but just a so-so coach.  I'm tired of the inept defensive efforts.  I'm tired of the offense going in the ditch because we can't hit 3s and don't have an inside game when Moses is covered.  I'm tired of no rebounding. I'm tired of confusing substitution patterns.  I'm tired of losing the top in-state talent to the competition. I'm tired of losing.  Time for a change

psooie

lose to missouri  and that's a turd in the face.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 18, 2016, 09:02:35 am

I was willing to see what the Jucos brought to the table next season, but I now believe MA is a good guy, but just a so-so coach.  I'm tired of the inept defensive efforts.  I'm tired of the offense going in the ditch because we can't hit 3s and don't have an inside game when Moses is covered.  I'm tired of no rebounding. I'm tired of confusing substitution patterns.  I'm tired of losing the top in-state talent to the competition. I'm tired of losing.  Time for a change

It wont matter what the JUCO guys do, we will still see all of those things. Last year the difference in 27 wins and 20 wins was Bobby Portis, and next years team will look alot like last years EXCEPT no Bobby Portis. I guess maybe they sneak into the ncaat next year, which apparently buys Mike another half a decade.

Pork Twain

Depends, what has this stock looked like over a longer period?  Has it shown a tendency to peek with another CEO's hire and then fall after a few years with the current CEO.  I would probably do some trend analysis of the stock at its last two stops.

Atlhogfan1

It is debatable what he walked away from at Mizzou. 

ricepig

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 17, 2016, 11:03:41 pm

This^^^^, we aren't biting the bullet on his salary, at least not for two years.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 18, 2016, 09:54:07 am
Depends, what has this stock looked like over a longer period?  Has it shown a tendency to peek with another CEO's hire and then fall after a few years with the current CEO.  I would probably do some trend analysis of the stock at its last two stops.

The sure bet five years ago was to go short Mike Anderson futures.

hamARchy in the USA

One decent season at Mizzou does not a coach make.  Everything anyone needed to know about what to expect under MA was available in his track record before Long hired him.  However, fans are not paid big bucks to be the expert.  The buck stops with Jeff Long.

lutherheggs

I would like to add one point:

Anderson has been the head coach for half a decade. In modern times, that is not a short period for head coaches in any collegiate sport. If you are going to be better than average at what you do, you are not having this kind of season in year 5, especially when you have not done anything outstanding in years 1 through 4. See Arkansas Razorback basketball history for proof of this.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 18, 2016, 10:35:49 am
The sure bet five years ago was to go short Mike Anderson futures.
His trend so far

Peak with previous coach's players in year 2-3, and then decline before going to a better job.  Lets hope he finds another better job, because we have never seen MA succeed with a team full of his recruits...ever...at any school.  Look at the recruiting mess he left Mizzou in.  I really hoped it would be different here but the recruiting failures and excuses in year 5 are difficult for me to get past.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 18, 2016, 11:18:34 am
His trend so far

Peak with previous coach's players in year 2-3, and then decline before going to a better job.  Lets hope he finds another better job, because we have never seen MA succeed with a team full of his recruits...ever...at any school.  Look at the recruiting mess he left Mizzou in

where is he ever going to find a better job than getting paid 2.2mil and having NO EXPECTATIONS placed on him at all?

I mean we still have people posting and calling shows saying he just needs more time.

Sivad

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 18, 2016, 11:18:34 am
His trend so far
Peak with previous coach's players in year 2-3, and then decline before going to a better job.  Lets hope he finds another better job, because we have never seen MA succeed with a team full of his recruits...ever...at any school.  Look at the recruiting mess he left Mizzou in
Anderson will never "find a better job" because no team is going to pay him anywhere near what he and his agent Jimmy Sexton extorted out of Arkansas for him to "return home". And certainly not now after how badly he has performed over the last five years.

Kevin

On of his best players at mizzou was his nephew and the other was Paul pressey's kid.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on February 18, 2016, 11:26:08 am
On of his best players at mizzou was his nephew and the other was Paul pressey's kid.

And Arlyn's nephew Laurence.

Hollywood_HOGan45

This was me.  I thought we would be par for the course of looking like crap on the road but blasting teams at home. We were supposed to run this Auburn team out of town and they made 15 threes on us.  I could have accepted a 17-14 16-15 type year this year because his roster is awful (partly his fault). But this game was a real eye-opener for me.

I love Mike. I love his style of play but we are making some high school type of mistakes. One thing that irks me is FINISHING FAST BREAKS!!!! We have no feel for what to do in certain situations like a 3 on 1. So many times the past three games we couldnt finish a 3-1 fast break.

When I see other teams/ programs that don't have that issue, I start to believe that this is a huge problem that may not get fixed under this regime.