Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article on the Anderson hot seat

Started by Captain Morgan, February 11, 2016, 01:23:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

Quote from: farmhawg on February 13, 2016, 09:36:07 am
It is sad some of you judge CBB one way and CMA another. If football doesn't get the top recruits, well we didn't want them because they aren't uncommon. If MA misses he can't recruit. If one has high standards then the other one doesn't? Good grief we have some goofy ass fans.
I certainly may be a goofy ass fan, but your condemnation of me is not responsive to my frustration.

My thoughts about Mike's recruiting are based primarily upon the fact that in a 30 year tenure, he has seemingly built few relationships or developed a reputation upon which he can rely to sustain a top 25 program. The man he apprenticed under took the best players out of Memphis, Tulsa and Texas. I don't see Mike taking the best players out of Arkansas.

This is an honest observation. It grows apathy. Perhaps you don't share my concern.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2016, 09:31:11 am
Where do we think the 73rd class (I'm assuming that's the 2014 class) would rank today now that Durham is one of the nation's leaders in assists? If it's fair to criticize the ranking, it should be fair to acknowledge when a ranking is outproduced.
I mean I understand your point, however I think most worried that Durham was a wasted scholarship until this year. I would think most would agree he is currently a solid player, equal to his 170ish rating, but I am not seeing where he is exceeding that, and his last 10 or so don't exceed that for sure. I don't believe you can make the case that the class exceeds it's ranking. I mean you value the jewel of that class in Beard a lot less than I do. The team overall is a lot better since his return, that isn't coincidental IMO.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 13, 2016, 12:04:09 pm
I mean I understand your point, however I think most worried that Durham was a wasted scholarship until this year. I would think most would agree he is currently a solid player, equal to his 170ish rating, but I am not seeing where he is exceeding that, and his last 10 or so don't exceed that for sure. I don't believe you can make the case that the class exceeds it's ranking. I mean you value the jewel of that class in Beard a lot less than I do. The team overall is a lot better since his return, that isn't coincidental IMO.

Beard was a top 100 guy, though. So he wasn't dragging the ranking down, was he? It was the unrated Durham, who I think has played at least like a solid 3-star this season. I think Beard and Thompson have played to their ranking and Durham has exceeded his overall.

Also, Dusty Hannahs is a part of the 2014 class but I'm sure we're not counting him but probably should.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2016, 12:25:04 pm
Beard was a top 100 guy, though. So he wasn't dragging the ranking down, was he? It was the unrated Durham, who I think has played at least like a solid 3-star this season. I think Beard and Thompson have played to their ranking and Durham has exceeded his overall.

Also, Dusty Hannahs is a part of the 2014 class but I'm sure we're not counting him but probably should.

Aside from the assists, Durham has been pretty 'meh.' 35% shooting, 26% from outside this season. And then there's the belief by many that assists are the most misleading stat in the game. Durham's assists come mostly from Bell and Hannahs each shooting 45% from the floor, with most of those coming as perimeter jumpers. Because he dominates the ball, he's going to be the guy who feeds them more often than not. Aside from making passes to hot shooters, he really hasn't done much.

Beard was indeed the highest rated of the class, but Scout had him at #138 (3*), ESPN at #90 (4*), & Rivals had him at #111 (3*).  Just for full disclosure.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

alohawg

I'm sorry, Durham is not a D-1 talent, he's just not. I doubt he would see the floor at the top 100 programs and yet he's a starter at Arkansas, go figure. Before people start, yes he makes some nice passes, but he also gets his drives packed down his throat 90% of the time and yet he still does it as though he's been given the green light to. He is literally the last guy that should ever drive the lane to shoot.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hawginbigd1

I guess technically you would be correct on Hannah's but I really kinda look at him as the only light so far to the 15 class.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: alohawg on February 13, 2016, 12:46:20 pm
I'm sorry, Durham is not a D-1 talent, he's just not. I doubt he would see the floor at the top 100 programs and yet he's a starter at Arkansas, go figure. Before people start, yes he makes some nice passes, but he also gets his drives packed down his throat 90% of the time and yet he still does it as though he's been given the green light to. He is literally the last guy that should ever drive the lane to shoot.

11th in the country in assists, far and away leading the SEC. 

Edit:  Missed Ulis but the point still stands.  You don't like the kid, but that doesn't mean your opinion is valid.

alohawg

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 13, 2016, 01:26:41 pm

Edit:  Missed Ulis but the point still stands.  You don't like the kid, but that doesn't mean your opinion is valid.

Opinion, ok. I bet my opinion on the percentage of his shots that are stuffed when he drives the lane match up pretty close to the facts. That is what I don't like.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HawgAdvocate

Thus far, with 12 minutes left in the game, Durham is 0-6 shooting today, 0-4 from outside, and 2 dimes. If Hannahs and/or Bell aren't hitting outside shots....
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hobhog

Other teams are taking away our scorers, and Durham is left to shoot. Good gameplanning....

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hobhog on February 13, 2016, 02:57:39 pm
Other teams are taking away our scorers, and Durham is left to shoot. Good gameplanning....

Seems like the in game coaching is getting worse each game.

Can't get beat by two Mississippi schools by almost 50 points combined.

The coaching staff Just looks like they are getting out coached the last two games.

12-13 is a losing record and it's sad to be 1-8 on the road in the worst of the power 5 conferences.  >:(

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 12, 2016, 07:10:52 am
If our coach was not named Mike Anderson with all his past ties to the Nolan years would we accept one good year out of 5?
In 40 Words or Less: Absolutely Not.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 13, 2016, 01:38:55 am
Again 73rd and 94th the last 2 classes, defending that is moronic.

Stop going by those idiotic class rankings and look at the oncourt production. And you cant judge the effectiveness of a class until their careers are done. As said last years Beard and Thompson are still young and both could still develop...This years Hannahs has been extremely productive and Whitt has shown flashes of potential...The rest I would agree for this season was severely limited a matter of taking what you could get to make a roster but the first two am pleased with. Class rankings don't mean darn...never have and never will.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

LJHOG

Quote from: labb on February 11, 2016, 05:18:26 pm
The only hot seat Anderson is on is in the minds of some internet sports board posters.
Then might as well fold up the program unless .500 forever is satisfactory to you.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: farmhawg on February 13, 2016, 09:36:07 am
It is sad some of you judge CBB one way and CMA another. If football doesn't get the top recruits, well we didn't want them because they aren't uncommon. If MA misses he can't recruit. If one has high standards then the other one doesn't? Good grief we have some goofy ass fans.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Razorbackers

Well...the difference between the whiffs on NSD for Bielema and the whiffs on NSD for Mike are that 1) CBB got the majority of recruits from Arkansas to stick around. 2) He signed a top 25 class which is good. (I know it was only 9th in the SEC) and 3) His teams have finished strong and you can see the process working.

That being said, we saw the process working for Mike when had had BP, MQ, Madden, Harris, and the rest of those guys from 2 years ago. They went to the NIT then to the NCAAT and now the team has dipped.

If CBB dips to 6 wins again this year then there will be dissent in the fanbase for sure.

jgphillips3

Mike has done less here than he did at UAB or Mizzou.  That is what concerns me the most.  My hope for what he can do is fading but not yet on life support.  I know he's not going anywhere this year and he's going to have at least next year to fix the damage done this year.  If next year is a disaster, his seat has to be on fire.  If he pulls out an NCAA berth next year, then he will have seemingly righted the ship.  However, 18-22 wins and the bubble is unacceptable for our program.  We should be in the tourney at least 7 out of every 10 years not once every four years.  5 out of 10 should be the least we accept.  Mike either needs to start getting it done or go.  With our history, I don't feel being in the tourney every other year (not even talking wins in the tourney) is too much to ask.

solitons

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 11, 2016, 01:23:01 pm
http://razorbackers.com/2016/02/11/how-hot-is-mike-andersons-coaching-seat/

Puts valid points on the positives and the negatives.  :razorback:
i don't like this coach at the hiring, still don't like him, and wouldn't like him as our coach, wish let him go after this season. go hogs

Westcoasthog

Mike Anderson needs to go as I post this saying on Saturday evening February 13, 2016 at 5:37 PM  - Arkansas needs to get Bill Self as their new
basketball coach.  You know that past story on this.

bvillepig

February 13, 2016, 08:22:07 pm #69 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:28:44 pm by bvillepig
Mike has been a head coach 12 years and has been to 7 NCAA in his tenure. 

It appears to me that taking the Arkansas job might have been a death sentence to his career.

I am a fan of whomever is the coach at Arkansas and yes that included Heath and Pelphry. I wished all of them success and was ready for each to move on. I am not quite there with Mike but I fear our present history and the state of affairs in college basketball is to much to overcome in my lifetime.

Razorod

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 13, 2016, 06:28:57 pm
Mike has done less here than he did at UAB or Mizzou.  That is what concerns me the most.  My hope for what he can do is fading but not yet on life support.  I know he's not going anywhere this year and he's going to have at least next year to fix the damage done this year.  If next year is a disaster, his seat has to be on fire.  If he pulls out an NCAA berth next year, then he will have seemingly righted the ship.  However, 18-22 wins and the bubble is unacceptable for our program.  We should be in the tourney at least 7 out of every 10 years not once every four years.  5 out of 10 should be the least we accept.  Mike either needs to start getting it done or go.  With our history, I don't feel being in the tourney every other year (not even talking wins in the tourney) is too much to ask.
Makes me wonder if Arkansas is a good fit for Anderson. As fans, we always look at it from our vantage point--is Anderson a good fit for Arkansas--but maybe it's just as true the other way around.

Maybe there are some limitations or fit factors about Arkansas that makes it more difficult for CMA to succeed here as much as he did at his previous two stops, or other places where he could go. Maybe his style or system would be more successful in another setting or conference.

So, maybe just as we are wondering about Anderson being the right coach for us, Anderson might be wondering if Arkansas is the right place for him.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: solitons on February 13, 2016, 07:35:50 pm
exactly, MA should be fired soon, go hogs

Not really sure we are exactly at that point but if no NCAA next year with a bunch of blow out defeats; then it can be possible.

I don't think Anderson is untouchable as others say on here. I think mediocre production will see him elsewhere over time.

Quote from: BadHog on February 12, 2016, 12:51:55 pm
Jeff Long doesn't share your opinion and his is the only one that matters.
What does that mean? Are you saying Long doesn't think MA is doing an acceptable job. 

grayhawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 13, 2016, 09:08:19 pm
Not really sure we are exactly at that point but if no NCAA next year with a bunch of blow out defeats; then it can be possible.

I don't think Anderson is untouchable as others say on here. I think mediocre production will see him elsewhere over time.
We are on our third coach in 13 years the first two we fired and now people are wanting to fire Anderson (who btw is a proven coach).

Heath and Pel were not proven coaches, Anderson is a proven head coach and has improved every year until this season. I might be wrong but I think the PTB realize this and will act accordingly and based on this I don't think Anderson is in any danger of losing his job at this point or the near future. After all we didn't act on Pel until after back to back 14 win seasons, now if next year is a disaster as well his seat might start to warm.

Someone yelling to hire Bill Self, do you really he would want to leave his present job and come here if we fire another head coach, who up until this week was in the running for Coach of the year in the SEC?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: grayhawg on February 13, 2016, 09:35:02 pm
We are on our third coach in 13 years the first two we fired and now people are wanting to fire Anderson (who btw is a proven coach).

This isn't really relevant because in football we have had 5 different coaches(Nutt, Herring, Petrino, John L, Bielema) in 9 years and it's in better shape than the basketball program. Basketball has had 3 coaches since 2003.

There are good coaches out there that can bring the same results or better than we are getting right now

grayhawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 13, 2016, 09:47:19 pm
This isn't really relevant because in football we have had 5 different coaches(Nutt, Herring, Petrino, John L, Bielema) in 9 years and it's in better shape than the basketball program. Basketball has had 3 coaches since 2003.

There are good coaches out there that can bring the same results or better than we are getting right now
Sorry I did not make my self clear, or it went over your head.

And if you list those football coaches from when they were hired like we are doing with the basketball coaches, that goes back to 1998, Herring was acting HC for one game only and wanted the job but was passed over and John L was hired for one year going in as a stop gap between head coaches. So in reality we have had 3 since 1998 and if Petrino had stayed off his motorcycle it's possible we would still be on two.

EastexHawg

Quote from: BadHog on February 12, 2016, 12:51:55 pm
Jeff Long doesn't share your opinion and his is the only one that matters.

Yep, Jeff has got this.  Got the entire athletic department.  I can hardly contain my giddiness.

fieldturf

Where at the point that we need to start from the beginning again!  We did that once before with Eddie Sutton in 74, point is who played for Eddie that is already employed by the U of A?  answer Jimmy Dykes needs to be our coach and install the 3 D's. 

defense
dedication
discipline

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: solitons on February 13, 2016, 07:34:55 pm
i don't like this coach at the hiring, still don't like him, and wouldn't like him as our coach, wish let him go after this season. go hogs

Him go no where. Him got job long time.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 14, 2016, 12:06:13 am
Quote from: EastexHawg on February 13, 2016, 10:14:51 pm
Yep, Jeff has got this.  Got the entire athletic department.  I can hardly contain my giddiness.

He shouldnt getting average results and gets blown out on the road. Thats when an AD takes notice. He has next year for sure even if the last 3 weeks are chaos(which I don't expect) but next season he better do something. 12-13 just doesn't cut it when your getting paid like a top 20 coach.

TomBigBeeHog

The ignore function is getting a good workout this year. The crazy is stronger than usual.

board

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 12, 2016, 09:53:52 am
I'm not here to say who does or does not deserve to have a job on the staff, but I will say that it's a near fact that have the exact same coaching staff for 10 years is not a good thing. There has to be quite a bit of stagnation going on.
Fat and happy, just like mike.

PonderinHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 14, 2016, 12:25:08 am
The ignore function is getting a good workout this year. The crazy is stronger than usual.
All these rocket surgeons in here and we get this thread ???

HogBreath

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 13, 2016, 05:24:34 pm
Stop going by those idiotic class rankings and look at the oncourt production.
You really think Mercer is out recruiting us?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 14, 2016, 08:55:04 am
All these rocket surgeons in here and we get this thread ???

I will give you this Pondering. That photo fits the basketball program. Its going sideways and out of control.

I believed 6 weeks ago that this team would end up winning 19 or 20 games.  They've tanked worse than I thought they could.  Basically we stink.  Anderson should be on the hot seat but he isn't.  Mid major teams with lower budgets and less expectations run amuck and we stink in a stinking conference.  I can only hope we have the coaching to take 3 AAs from JUCO and blend them together with the few decent players we have and get something started next year.  I am really tired of the excuses. 

HogBreath

Quote from: 12247 on February 14, 2016, 09:08:04 am
I believed 6 weeks ago that this team would end up winning 19 or 20 games.  They've tanked worse than I thought they could.  Basically we stink.  Anderson should be on the hot seat but he isn't.  Mid major teams with lower budgets and less expectations run amuck and we stink in a stinking conference.  I can only hope we have the coaching to take 3 AAs from JUCO and blend them together with the few decent players we have and get something started next year.  I am really tired of the excuses. 
You do realize it takes juco's a year to get acclimated, so how about the year after next? 

Of course, Kingsley will be gone by then, so maybe the following year?

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

bigdaddyhawg

Eventually you're going to have to take your man crush on Mike somewhere else, because he's not going to be here forever.  It may be the retirement home, but when that day comes, you're going to be inconsolable.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HogBreath

Very good point.  Him .....and him team going no where.   As usual.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 13, 2016, 07:38:38 pm
  Mike Anderson needs to go as I post this saying on Saturday evening February 13, 2016 at 5:37 PM  - Arkansas needs to get Bill Self as their new

Why stop at Bill Self? Maybe Coach K or Phil Jackson?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 14, 2016, 11:18:01 am
Why stop at Bill Self? Maybe Coach K or Phil Jackson?

Razorbackers, I would say Greg Marshall and Archie Miller would be on the top of Long's list

jvanhorn

Quote from: alohawg on February 13, 2016, 03:37:13 am
Agreed

THIS.  He was, and always has been, just an ok coach.  I mean when he was at Missouri, Self over at Kansas wasn't exactly shaking in his boots.  The above is exactly right.  He is what he is.   He is doing just exactly what he is capable of doing.  In hindsight, a wonderful thing, LOL,   I wouldn't mind having the coach that OU hired, or even the coach at Wichita State probably could have been had 5 years ago., but that is water under the bridge.   You can expect exactly what the poster stated above.  If you are happy with that--good for you.  If not--I suggest you watch girls basketball  or baseball.

Sivad

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 13, 2016, 09:08:19 pm
I'm afraid he is Elliot Ness.
Losses, blowouts, no tourneys, no recruits, no attendance, counterfeiting rings, it just doesn't matter. Sad to see Arkansas basketball eviscerated just to worship at the altar of NolAnderson.

pigmailyen

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 13, 2016, 07:38:38 pm

Do you think he would come here from KU?  If so, why?  No agenda, just asking your opinion.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Sivad on February 14, 2016, 03:48:54 pm
I'm afraid he is Elliot Ness.
Losses, blowouts, no tourneys, no recruits, no attendance, counterfeiting rings, it just doesn't matter. Sad to see Arkansas basketball eviscerated just to worship at the altar of NolAnderson.

3 elite Arkansas basketball recruits  currently would disagree. Gafford, Vanover and Hill.

hogsanity

Quote from: pigmailyen on February 14, 2016, 03:51:31 pm
Do you think he would come here from KU?  If so, why?  No agenda, just asking your opinion.

Wont know if they dont ask ( assuming they are not asking ). I think pretty much any coach will go anywhere given the right set of circumstances. Do those exist here for Self? No idea. Do they exists here for someone better than Mike Anderson, yes. I thought that before he was hired and I think it now.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pigmailyen

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2016, 05:41:07 pm
Wont know if they dont ask ( assuming they are not asking ). I think pretty much any coach will go anywhere given the right set of circumstances. Do those exist here for Self? No idea. Do they exists here for someone better than Mike Anderson, yes. I thought that before he was hired and I think it now.

Circumstances=money, mostly?  We seem to have the other right elements, IMO.

WilsonHog

Quote from: pigmailyen on February 14, 2016, 06:17:11 pm
Circumstances=money, mostly?  We seem to have the other right elements, IMO.

In my mind, even talking about Bill Self as a possibility illustrates the depth of our delusion. Might as well throw Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan, etc. into the mix.

We do not have that kind of basketball pedigree anymore. Once upon a time? Yes.

Could we get a guy like Archie Miller? Ben Jacobsen? Sure. Good mid-major coaches.

I still say that the biggest mistake of the past 10 years was our failure to keep Dana Altman. His Oregon teams have gone 143-61 (.701), with soon to be four trips to the NCAA Tournament in six seasons.

Call a Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2016, 06:50:23 pm
In my mind, even talking about Bill Self as a possibility illustrates the depth of our delusion. Might as well throw Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan, etc. into the mix.

Could we get a guy like Archie Miller? Ben Jacobsen? Sure. Good mid-major coaches.

I still say that the biggest mistake of the past 10 years was our failure to keep Dana Altman.

Bill Self wanted the job at one time. Instead we went the PC route and hired a coach that ran a system that reminded me of watching paint dry. That was the biggest mistake in the history of Razorback Basketball. We literally dropped the ball after Nolan left. The administration at the time was incompetent. 

grayhawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2016, 06:50:23 pm

I still say that the biggest mistake of the past 10 years was our failure to keep Dana Altman. His Oregon teams have gone 143-61 (.701), with soon to be four trips to the NCAA Tournament in six seasons.

While I agree with your post, I wonder what could we have done to keep him after he seen the mess that was Razorback basketball at the time?