Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brewer's Stock Falling...

Started by UnionChristian#3, April 02, 2006, 07:22:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UnionChristian#3

according to ESPN and NBADraft.net, brewer has gone from a 6-9 pick to now a 10-13 and beyond pick. Could this possibly affect his decision to stay with hopes of improving is status for next year?
"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

RedSatinHog

If he falls far enough, yes it will affect his decision. 
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

CiriusPorker

his decision will be affected...but he better be careful not to sign before his stock falls completely out of richness.

zwhogfan

I imagine Brewer won't officially sign until he is almost 100% sure he knows what will happen. Some players kill their stock with draft workouts, while some improve it. If his workouts go poorly I am sure he will decide to stay, and if not, then I imagine he will be gone.

bigred7987

Hollywood_HOGan

Factual Fiction

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on April 02, 2006, 08:00:33 pm
Quote from: bigred7987 on April 02, 2006, 07:54:55 pm
hes coming back

Based on what?

Just curious.

Because he wants Stan to continue to help him develop his game.

Tejano Jawg

I don't know how the pro scouts work...but didn't they have several weeks (following our early departure from the NCAA tourney) to look at a BUNCH of great games with a BUNCH of strong players? Many of whom have to be seniors or draft-ready. I was kinda wondering about the Brewer deal as I was watching the games...thinking, well, seeing all this should help Brewer decide to stay. But who knows?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

berryhog

Quote from: Factual Fiction on April 02, 2006, 08:21:15 pm

That is the funniest thing I have read today.  ;D

rok-dog

For purely selfish reasons I am kinda' glad his stock is falling,  as long as it causes him to stay for one more year.  But of course I wish him all the best and want him to succeed.
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2010, 01:29:05 pm
Listen to rok, this is the most sound advice ever typed on a message board in the history of the internets.
Quote from: BallHog1 on December 03, 2010, 07:50:23 am
Rok, you are obviously the most intelligent poster in the the tavern.

UnionChristian#3

Weems and Brewer would be one of the best scoring punches in the SEC next year. Thats not counting McCurdy, Thomas, Townes, Hill, Ervin, Welsh, etc.
"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

WILL CLINTON

The team that wasted a top 10 pick on Ronnie Brewer would regret it for the next 2 years until he is cut permanently.  I know he plays for Arkansas, and we all want him to be all world because he is a Razorback, but he is probably one of the top 5 or 10 players in the SEC, which I would guess would put him about 20+ in the nation. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

three

Quote from: dubyacee on April 02, 2006, 09:48:07 pm
The team that wasted a top 10 pick on Ronnie Brewer would regret it for the next 2 years until he is cut permanently.  I know he plays for Arkansas, and we all want him to be all world because he is a Razorback, but he is probably one of the top 5 or 10 players in the SEC, which I would guess would put him about 20+ in the nation. 
Agreed 110%!  He's a great player on a mediocre AT BEST Razorback team.  Put him on the May-O-Day team, he's a role player off the bench.  Put him on the NC team, he's Scotty Thurman's set up man.  He needs one more year, and then MAYBE he'll be there.  He's definitely working on it.  You could tell at the end of the season he was a little more concious of his range.  He took a lot of threes in the SECT from NBA range.....something I can't remember him doing for the last nearly three years, at least not until NBA-talks started getting heated.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Hugehogsfan

I think that the Brewer family will take all of these things into consideration and make the best decision for him.  I believe that he will go and that we will benefit by getting Smith and Beverly.

Calling All Hogs

April 02, 2006, 10:14:57 pm #15 Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 10:22:24 pm by CallMeHog
Quote from: Factual Fiction on April 02, 2006, 08:21:15 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on April 02, 2006, 08:00:33 pm
Quote from: bigred7987 on April 02, 2006, 07:54:55 pm
hes coming back

Based on what?

Just curious.

I heard he will stay because he is committed for another year to teach Heath how to coach. LOL

Heath's secret plan to win the SEC next year

oldbooniehog

I know this for a fact.

Ron Brewer Sr. graduated from the U of A in the early 1990s.

I know this because Ron Sr. walked on the same day as a good friend of mine....they both graduated from the College of Education at the U of A.

The fact that it took Ron Sr. almost 20 years to graduate will come into play in any family decisions made by Ron Jr.

I know that with the money that can be made playing in the NBA, Ron Jr. could buy a college if he wanted to.

However, I think that dad will want son to get his degree a little more quickly than dad did.

oldbooniehog

hog caller

i read that he had an agent. doesn't that affect his coming back?

krack1925

i figure we will all know pretty soon....  I hope he stays but I understand if he goes.  I saw a ton of great players in the NCAAT and all I could think was..... this guy is behind Brewer?  I doubt that.   I don't think he will be in the top 15......  I figure 20th or so.... maybe not even then.  No dogging Ronnie, just there are some really good players out there....

hogken

not near NBA ready! good player but not great and inconsistant
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

J.A.Y.

I love the kid too. I think he is a great PLAYER. but his shot is lacking, he does need to work on his shot and being more consistent. But it is hard for an NBA team to pass on a gifted 6'7 point guard. Especially when he can get paid to get better under better coaching
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: jayloot on April 03, 2006, 09:58:52 am
I love the kid too. I think he is a great PLAYER. but his shot is lacking, he does need to work on his shot and being more consistent. But it is hard for an NBA team to pass on a gifted 6'7 point guard. Especially when he can get paid to get better under better coaching

When there are 20+ better players out there, it won't be hard for an NBA team to pass on him.  He will never start in the NBA, and won't even be that big of a role player.  You don't spend a top 10 pick on someone who you know will warm a spot on the bench for the next 5 years (if that)

TheMayorOfHogtown

Quote from: hogken on April 03, 2006, 08:09:01 am
not near NBA ready! good player but not great and inconsistant

10 years ago, I would have agreed, but have you seen the NBA lately?  It's entertainment, not true sport.  Brewer can steal the ball, he can dunk, he can catch and throw the alley-oop.  He can make highlight, and that is what the NBA is all about.

J.A.Y.

Quote from: dubyacee on April 03, 2006, 10:04:04 am

When there are 20+ better players out there, it won't be hard for an NBA team to pass on him.  He will never start in the NBA, and won't even be that big of a role player.  You don't spend a top 10 pick on someone who you know will warm a spot on the bench for the next 5 years (if that)

All I have to say is Darko Milicic
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: jayloot on April 03, 2006, 10:08:55 am
Quote from: dubyacee on April 03, 2006, 10:04:04 am

All I have to say is Darko Milicic

All I have to say is Bucknell.

J.A.Y.

point taken, but they don't base their decision on one game.

hogtheball

Quote from: three on April 02, 2006, 09:55:58 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on April 02, 2006, 09:48:07 pm
Agreed 110%!  He's a great player on a mediocre AT BEST Razorback team.  Put him on the May-O-Day team, he's a role player off the bench.  Put him on the NC team, he's Scotty Thurman's set up man.  He needs one more year, and then MAYBE he'll be there.  He's definitely working on it.  You could tell at the end of the season he was a little more concious of his range.  He took a lot of threes in the SECT from NBA range.....something I can't remember him doing for the last nearly three years, at least not until NBA-talks started getting heated.

Scotty's set-up man?  Maybe.  Scotty hit some big shots, but Ronnie has more NBA potential than Thurman ever had.  Not even close.  Scotty couldn't defend the slowest small-forward in the NBA.  Also, I think Brewer wouldn've started instead of McDaniel on that team.  Nolan would have had him playing more intense D, but he would've been great on that team.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hawgdawg

Dubyacee - Sounds like you need to be an NBA general manager since you know more about a players NBA potential than any of them. Some of you guys amaze me. The NBA is multi-million dollar business. They spend thousands of dollars evaluating a player. Does that mean they don't ever make mistakes? Obvioiusly the answer is no. They do make mistakes. Past history bears that out. If it's all the same to you though , I think i"ll go ahead and take the word of the NBA scouts on this one over yours. EVERYONE in the NBA believes that 1) The NBA game is better suited than the college game is for Ronnie 2) Ronnie played out of position in college 3) What makes Ronnie so attractive is his versatility, the fact he can play many different positions 4) With his passing skills, the better the supporting cast around Ronnie, the more valuable he becomes, because he has the ability to get the ball to players in transition when they need it and where they can make something happen. (Not enough scorers at U of A this year to take advantage of this) 5) While Ronnies defense in half court is marginal, he is very disruptive defensively in full court setting (college games are half court, NBA is transition game) Is there a chance Ronnie won't make it in the NBA? Sure. The chance he does "make it" in the league are much better than he won't make it though.

hawgdawg

Another point to make here.... I wonder how effective Scotty T would have been if the opponent didn't have Big Nasty down low to worry about and have to double team? Most all those guys on the National Championship team, other than Corliss, never had to beat more than one guy to score. Ronnie has played his entire career at Arkansas with at least 1 and half or two defenders guarding him because there was ALWAYS at least one other guy on the floor the opponent didn't have to guard.  As good as Scotty was, he was NEVER double teamed, Clint never doubled, Corey B, never etc....

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hawgdawg on April 03, 2006, 10:31:58 am
Dubyacee - Sounds like you need to be an NBA general manager since you know more about a players NBA potential than any of them. Some of you guys amaze me. The NBA is multi-million dollar business. They spend thousands of dollars evaluating a player. Does that mean they don't ever make mistakes? Obvioiusly the answer is no. They do make mistakes. Past history bears that out. If it's all the same to you though , I think i"ll go ahead and take the word of the NBA scouts on this one over yours. EVERYONE in the NBA believes that 1) The NBA game is better suited than the college game is for Ronnie 2) Ronnie played out of position in college 3) What makes Ronnie so attractive is his versatility, the fact he can play many different positions 4) With his passing skills, the better the supporting cast around Ronnie, the more valuable he becomes, because he has the ability to get the ball to players in transition when they need it and where they can make something happen. (Not enough scorers at U of A this year to take advantage of this) 5) While Ronnies defense in half court is marginal, he is very disruptive defensively in full court setting (college games are half court, NBA is transition game) Is there a chance Ronnie won't make it in the NBA? Sure. The chance he does "make it" in the league are much better than he won't make it though.

You can take anyone's word over mine, you aren't hurting my feelings.  Talk to your dog or cat, they can give about an accurate GUESS on whether Ronnie will make it or not, as I or any NBA GM could.  They do pay thousands of dollars to evaluate talent and still tank.  I am simply stating my opinion on what Ronnie will, or more importantly, will not be in the NBA.  And I have a hard time believing you know EVERYONE in the NBA to gather your comments from, so if it's all the same to you, I won't put too much stock it what you say EVERYONE in the NBA is saying about Ronnie.  It you will notice the title of this topic is "Brewer's stock is falling".  he has gone from a top 10 pick, to "top 10-13 and beyond" pick.  And that is from ESPN and nbadraft.net.  So maybe EVERYONE in the NBA does not feel like he is as special player, as EVERYONE from Arkansas does. 

hawgdawg

Im not disputing that his stock maybe falling...but even at Number 20 overall...that's pretty good...the fact that he is falling is more a sign of other coming out in the draft that were not expected, not a sign of questions to his game. The scouts have a pretty good idea about Ronnies game, the good and the bad.

krack1925

I will not go that far....  I just don't think he is as high as everyone is saying.   I think he might consider staying because next year he could show that passing ablitiy and I don't think he will be doubled as much... there will be three threats on the floor next year most of the time...  His game could really improve.

hawgdawg

Hogmania -  i would suggest you NOT go into coaching, or if you do, you won't have to worry about scheduling games.....people would jump at the chance to play you......you are entitled to an opinion, but come on..you either have  some beef with Ronnie or are just plain ignorant of basketball. Im not saying he is the best ever at Arkansas, but he is one of the better players in a long line of good players here

hogtheball

Quote from: Hogmania on April 03, 2006, 02:42:21 pm
Quote from: hawgdawg on April 03, 2006, 11:03:21 am
Hogmania -  i would suggest you NOT go into coaching, or if you do, you won't have to worry about scheduling games.....people would jump at the chance to play you......you are entitled to an opinion, but come on..you either have  some beef with Ronnie or are just plain ignorant of basketball. Im not saying he is the best ever at Arkansas, but he is one of the better players in a long line of good players here

How do you know I am not a coach? For some reason you believe yourself to be the only person who knows a thing about basketball.  Tell me what is so special about Brewer? A ot ot the time this year Modica out played Brewer.  I have no beef with Ronnie, he's just not all that great. He's not near the player his dad was, or Joe Johnson is, he has a terrible shot. He plays good defense other than that, I don't see a lot. I don't think playing good defense is what the NBA is about these days.

I can tell you're not a coach.  A basketball coach would never make the blank statement that Brewer plays good defense.  They might say "he can play good defense," or "he has played good defense," or "he has the ability to become a good defender."  Also, since the two best teams in the NBA right now are Detriot and San Antonio, no coach would say "I don't think playing good defense is what the NBA is about these days."   

You've certainly defined yourself as a non-basketball coach.  I'm 100% certain.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogtheball

Ronnie isn't a great shooter (not NEAR as good as his dad).  That's not why NBA scouts are looking at him.  He has great athleticism for a 6'7" guard/forward, has incredible potential (though largely unfulfilled) as a defender, can handle the ball well enough to fill in or play some point guard, is a slasher/scorer, and is a good passer. 

One of the challenges with Ronnie is watching his college play.  Heath runs and inside/out game that is the worst possible scenerio for a slasher/athlete like Ronnie.  The inside out game allows defenses to tighten up in the zone and force outside shots from athletes like Ronnie.   Also, the transition game where an athlete like Ronnie should shine is minimal.

In the NBA on a team where his speed and athletic ability are used in a transition game, Ronnie could be really good.  His stamina is the big question in this type of offense.

Oh, and his dad averaged 12 points per game in an eight-year NBA career.  I don't think anybody who knows basketball would suggest that his career was a failure.  In two seasons, he scored over 18 a game.  If Ronnie comes close to his dad's career in the NBA, he'll do a lot better than most first round picks this year.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogtheball on April 03, 2006, 03:07:53 pm
Ronnie isn't a great shooter (not NEAR as good as his dad).  That's not why NBA scouts are looking at him.  He has great athleticism for a 6'7" guard/forward, has incredible potential (though largely unfulfilled) as a defender, can handle the ball well enough to fill in or play some point guard, is a slasher/scorer, and is a good passer. 

One of the challenges with Ronnie is watching his college play.  Heath runs and inside/out game that is the worst possible scenerio for a slasher/athlete like Ronnie.  The inside out game allows defenses to tighten up in the zone and force outside shots from athletes like Ronnie.   Also, the transition game where an athlete like Ronnie should shine is minimal.

In the NBA on a team where his speed and athletic ability are used in a transition game, Ronnie could be really good.  His stamina is the big question in this type of offense.

Oh, and his dad averaged 12 points per game in an eight-year NBA career.  I don't think anybody who knows basketball would suggest that his career was a failure.  In two seasons, he scored over 18 a game.  If Ronnie comes close to his dad's career in the NBA, he'll do a lot better than most first round picks this year.

He will be a better pro than college player. 

hogtheball

I agree.  However, his stamina is still a big question mark.  He has all the tools to succeed.

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogtheball on April 03, 2006, 03:20:20 pm
I agree.  However, his stamina is still a big question mark.  He has all the tools to succeed.

I agree on the stamina.  All rookies hit a wall sometime and he will too.  But, he shouldn't have to try and take games over on both ends like he tried to here plus NBA coaches know how to handle rookies' minutes.  The NBA game will be better for him and there is no reason for him to stay unless there is a real risk he'll fall into the end of the 1st round.

krack1925

I think some of you have turned this into a "Ronnie sucks" "no he dosn't" type thing.  Ronnie is a good player that didn't have a ton of talent around him.  His shot is a little inconsistant.  We all agree on that.  With Weems on the team next year....  we could be great.... and ronnie would be a huge part of that.......

hogtheball

Quote from: krack1925 on April 03, 2006, 04:29:26 pm
I think some of you have turned this into a "Ronnie sucks" "no he dosn't" type thing.  Ronnie is a good player that didn't have a ton of talent around him.  His shot is a little inconsistant.  We all agree on that.  With Weems on the team next year....  we could be great.... and ronnie would be a huge part of that.......

Really? I thought this thread was titled "Brewer's stock falling..."   in which we would certainly be talking about whether or not Ronnie's talents are going to translate in the NBA. 

hoggystyle78

I've been on here for the last 6 months telling anyone who would listen that Ronnie WILL NOT BE A LOTTERY PICK. Having said that I do believe he'll leave this year because from all indications next years draft is LOADED. It will only hurt Ronnie if he waits. Me being selfish, I wish he would stay and we could still get Smith and Beverly. Ronnie will be an average NBA player but he has the athleticism and instincts to have a long career in the league and who knows, he wouldn't be the first player to actually improve after getting in the NBA.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: hog caller on April 02, 2006, 10:24:27 pm
i read that he had an agent. doesn't that affect his coming back?

HE chose an agent, he hasn't hired him nor talked to him. 'least thats my understanding