Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we really have the best backfield in the nation?

Started by Hogwild07, April 02, 2006, 06:38:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild07

Peyton Hillis stated this the other day and I think I believe him.  I really don't know if I would trade these guys for ANYONE. Theyre so young and talented.  McFadden and Jones are unbelievable and can take it the distance every play. They might be the 2 best backs ever at Arkansas and they are in the same backfield.  Also, Hillis is reportedly down to a 4.49 and he still weighs 235.  He is also a great receiver out of the backfield.  It is also being said that McFadden has great receiving ability and can also be effective in the receiving game.  These guys are only going to get better and they should be really exciting to watch this season.

Fatty McGee

Some games need to be won before we go that far.  But they are good.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

PIGINAPOKE

Don't feed a dog , just because it wags it's tail.
  Any good car can do a 100 mph on any givin day.

But if you install barriers to limit the talent, go to
WWW.NUTTSUCKSDRAWS.COM
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

tulsahog36

no question these backs are among the best in the nation.   the best? that is debatable.  In the top 5, no doubt.   Mcfadden and Jones the two best ever at Arkansas?  How long have you been watching Arkansas football?  The hogs have had some terrific runners:  Fred Talley, Cobbs, Madre Hill, James Rouse, Barry Foster, Gary Anderson.   Mcfadden and Jones have to have more than just 1 good year to be called the best ever.  I would not even say they are the best backfield arkansas has ever had; that would go to James Rouse and Barry Foster whose running lead Arkansas to two straight SWC titles in the late 80's.   Let Mcfadden and Jones (and Hillis) help guide us to a SEC title and then we will talk about them being the best. 

tophawg19

time will tell and don't forget smith who may be the most dangerous of them all on any given play.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Cure

Smith was looking real good at spring practice last year...Haven't gotten a chance to make it to The Hill this season, but definetly he's one to look out for..Continue to hear good things about him this spring 8)
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

CiriusPorker

Arkansas has a history of having extremely talented backfields, so i don't think its a strange or outrageous statement to believe that we have the best.  We have the best freshmen running back in the nation from last year, and we have his backup who was the best punt returner in the nation, and then peyton hillis, who is quite talented...

so, yes, I think that we MAY have the most talented backfield in the nation this year.

rudebaker

houston will find a way to negate the talent we have.

BPPig

Us old poops also remember Jerry Eckwood, Ike Forte, Dickie Morton, and Lance Alsworth. Of course where JFB played LA proves that was sure no coaching genius either,

This is one fine backfield that I would not swap for any other because they are ours and they are Rea---l good. I am glad to hear PH thinks so because we need to get some swagger back. Arguing who has the best backfield in the nation with most of our limited viewing would be somewhat akin as to debating how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

bigred7987

zwhogfan

I think they are definitely in the top 5. Arguably the best skill wise, but you have to remember that Jones and McFadden are sophomores while Michael Smith is a RS freshmen. They have to continue to build upon what they did last season in order to be called the best. Do I believe they are capable of doing so? There is no doubt in my mind that they can, if they avoid injury and continue to run hard, then I think they have a shot.

Factual Fiction

If the line does their job, then without a doubt.

codeHog

twistitup

Our backfield is good, no doubt-

Our head coach on the other hand- definitely up there with the best! ;)
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

wrightobe

Quote from: Factual Fiction on April 02, 2006, 08:25:33 pm
If the line does their job, then without a doubt.
I have hopes for the offensive line, because the starters as of now, are Juniors and Seniors, mostly Seniors.

PHill94

Quote from: tulsahog36 on April 02, 2006, 07:12:37 pm
no question these backs are among the best in the nation.   the best? that is debatable.  In the top 5, no doubt.   Mcfadden and Jones the two best ever at Arkansas?  How long have you been watching Arkansas football?  The hogs have had some terrific runners:  Fred Talley, Cobbs, Madre Hill, James Rouse, Barry Foster, Gary Anderson.   Mcfadden and Jones have to have more than just 1 good year to be called the best ever.  I would not even say they are the best backfield arkansas has ever had; that would go to James Rouse and Barry Foster whose running lead Arkansas to two straight SWC titles in the late 80's.   Let Mcfadden and Jones (and Hillis) help guide us to a SEC title and then we will talk about them being the best. 

If Mcfadden has one more 1,000 plus year then he will already be ahead of Talley and Cobbs. Wasn't he the only freshman back at Arkansas to rush for over 1,000?  I  will say that I did think Cobbs was going to be the greatest Arkansas running back ever but he was dealt a rough hand with injuries. Madre was great also but I still say if Mcfadden stays healthy then he will be the best Arkansas has ever had. More Yards per carry then any other back in the country other than the Heisman winner Reggie Bush. AND HE WAS A FRESHMAN!! If he stays healthy then we will hear his name on the Heisman watch lists every season. I doubt he will have a chance of winning because he has to be the best player on one of the best teams which he will only have the best player part down.

Tejano Jawg

Wrightobe and Factual have it. The LINE will determine how it all goes. With the natural talent of Hillis, McF, Felix, plus the newcomers, there's no way our running backs won't be great.

Remember how good our O line was in Cobbs' last year? Granted, that season had the most games he played healthy...but that shows you how good a running game can be when your line wins most of the battles.

I have to think our running back situation will serve as strong motivation for the line. They knock a guy down, slow up another, and there's a good chance that play goes to the house.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

UnionChristian#3

Mustain/Dick, McFadden, Jones, Hillis....thats pretty good. And yes, Hillis is faster. Not only can he fun you over, but he can run around or by you too. After a semi-disappointing year last year, Hillis looks determined to be great. We havent even talked about the WR's yet...with Monk, Williams, Norman, Cleveland, Crawford, Fish, Baker, Logan, Washington, Coleman, Salters, etc.
The other question is, is this the best WR's weve ever had at one time?
"It's not who I am on the inside, but it's what I do, that defines who I am."

Arkiejared

Quote from: tulsahog36 on April 02, 2006, 07:12:37 pm
no question these backs are among the best in the nation.   the best? that is debatable.  In the top 5, no doubt.  
Quote from: zwhogfan on April 02, 2006, 07:49:28 pm
I think they are definitely in the top 5. Arguably the best skill wise, but you have to remember that Jones and McFadden are sophomores while Michael Smith is a RS freshmen.

Ok, guys, who are the other 4?

justmakeit2thebcs

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hogwild07 on April 02, 2006, 06:38:11 pm
Peyton Hillis stated this the other day and I think I believe him.  I really don't know if I would trade these guys for ANYONE. Theyre so young and talented.  McFadden and Jones are unbelievable and can take it the distance every play. They might be the 2 best backs ever at Arkansas and they are in the same backfield.  Also, Hillis is reportedly down to a 4.49 and he still weighs 235.  He is also a great receiver out of the backfield.  It is also being said that McFadden has great receiving ability and can also be effective in the receiving game.  These guys are only going to get better and they should be really exciting to watch this season.

Yes, we really do!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Richard_white

And if we fire Numb Nutts we would have a decent team

EastMemphisHog

Yeah, I sure hope these guys don't get the Cobb-Curse. I remember watching him his freshman year, and he was similar to McFadden. I do think McFadden is a better all around back though. Cobbs could've been one of the greats, but those injuries will get you. I really hope all of these guys stay healthy.

Richard_white

arod2024

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on April 03, 2006, 05:00:58 am
Aren't we being a little premature about this.

What? Why do you say that? I do not think it is ever too early to speculate about being the best in the nation. Hahaha.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

12under

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on April 02, 2006, 11:45:14 pm
And if we fire Numb Nutts we would have a decent team
there it is, there's your solution

J.A.Y.

They are a great backfield, one of the best, but to be considered the best we will have to do some winning, especially on a big stage. ie USC wouldn't hurt
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

hogtheball

It really doesn't matter if we think they are the best in the nation or not.  However, If Hillis and McFadden and Jones have been working towards becoming the best...well, that does matter.  I like that Hillis made that statement.  I'll like it even more if he makes the same statement on the field.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

ki285

hogsNbeer

Remember people, NUTT is still the coach.....Before we go saying the backfield is among the nation's best, they(the team) needs to win some games...and I dont' mean the Vandy's or the Mississippi schools....  If the backfield wants to be up there with the best in the nation, then they need to consistently have big games against the likes of the USCs, and FLORIDAs, and the LSUs, Bama's and the like week in and week out..... and that's why I said NUTT is still the coach..... We still need to WIN, and we all know that NUTT finds ways to lose..... He'll do it again..... :puke:

razorbackfan4life

I think we have one of the best backfields in the nation, but saying we have the best might be a stretch.  Its too early to tell.

Chappeee

We have the best backfield AS A UNIT in the nation.  The individuals in the unit may or may not be the best, but Hillis, McFadden and Jones as a whole are the best.

Hogwild07

I know it is early to say this...but I think McFadden is already the best back to ever come to arkansas.  Unless he just falls apart he will be the best, and you cant argue that.  No other freshman RB at Arkansas had the season he did last year.  That was unbelievable.  He's big and incredibly fast and he can also run with power.  He will only continue to get better as he gains more experience.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: Hogwild07 on April 03, 2006, 01:46:53 pm
I know it is early to say this...but I think McFadden is already the best back to ever come to arkansas.  Unless he just falls apart he will be the best, and you cant argue that.  No other freshman RB at Arkansas had the season he did last year.  That was unbelievable.  He's big and incredibly fast and he can also run with power.  He will only continue to get better as he gains more experience.

I have two names for you, cedric cobbs, madre hill. Let's not get too cocky about Dmac or too caught up in his hype just yet. Althugh I do agree, so far he is a phenom.

Hogwild07

He's better than Cobbs, more talented.  Cobbs was good but let's face it....he did not have a GREAT career.  He was plagued with injuries that prevented him from reaching his full potential.  He had a good freshman year(which still doesn't even compare to DMAC's) and a good senior season.  I think McFadden is also more talented than Hill also but he is going to have to prove that...and I think he will.  If I had to rank the best RBs ever at Arkansas right now it would be:

1.) Madre Hill
2.) McFadden- after next season he will be number one
3.) Rouse
4.) Talley
5.) Morton

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: Hogwild07 on April 03, 2006, 01:53:15 pm
He's better than Cobbs, more talented.  Cobbs was good but let's face it....he did not have a GREAT career.  He was plagued with injuries that prevented him from reaching his full potential.  He had a good freshman year(which still doesn't even compare to DMAC's) and a good senior season.  I think McFadden is also more talented than Hill also but he is going to have to prove that...and I think he will.  If I had to rank the best RBs ever at Arkansas right now it would be:

1.) Madre Hill
2.) McFadden- after next season he will be number one
3.) Rouse
4.) Talley
5.) Morton

I would have to put MJ at the top of that list, i know he didnt actually play the rb position,but......

and my friend it is much too early to mut dmac at number 2, one great season does not a great player make.

hogtheball

I'd have to add Gary Anderson and Barry Foster to that list.  They were A LOT BETTER at the next level than any of the guys on your list.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: hogtheball on April 03, 2006, 01:58:39 pm
I'd have to add Gary Anderson and Barry Foster to that list.  They were A LOT BETTER at the next level than any of the guys on your list.

They would be on my list also, but not b/c of what they did on the next level. Were talking about their razorback career. Funny how all of a lot of our elite college athletes went on to do nothing in the pros though. WEll it's not funny, but......