Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Q for posters who have watched Malzahn....

Started by JIHawg, April 01, 2006, 04:40:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Landonhog

I really don't see him getting any decent offers, even with a fairly successful season... Oh, and yes...everyone else in the country IS laughing at us... Whether you like it or not, it does look a little desperate!  Personally, I'm extremely excited, but the national perception doesn't share my enthusiasm...  JMHO...

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: JIHawg on April 01, 2006, 04:40:25 pm
Defenses will obviously come after our QB.  Is that why we're reading all this about Hillis, McFaddin and Jones being in the passing game?  What do you see Malzahn doing to counter an 8 man rush, or a zone blitz?

To get back to the original post.

Gus' offense makes use of something that many other offenses use, and that is hot calls with backs and receivers.  HDN's offense did not.  I'm sure Wittke wanted to use them, but for some reason they didn't.  From reading most of the response on this thread, I think if I explained it in detail, it would get lost in the translation, but basically the way a hot call works, is when the qb and a receiver/rb read a blitz coming, and there is no HDN favorite max protection call, the back or receiver who occupies an area that will become "open" when the blitzer attacks they will even holler "hot, hot" or something similar (I did hear them making the call in the scrimmage yesterday), and a quick drop will result and quick release.  Everybody who thought they had had a chance versus Springdale would end up looking foolish.  Of course, the haters like to point out that LR Central during MM's junior year frustrated him, and the "hot calls" didn't work, did not pay attention to the 2nd half, when Springdale made a run at the Tigers using this very system.

Izual65

If Gus takes the HC job, what happens to Herring? I think both are capable if the HC job. IF Gus gets the job, Herring ain't staying. It's rather condescending to have a 1 yr college coach move up above an experienced, well-known, veteran D-cordinator that's prolly been waiting for his opportunity for some time.

If the hogs are gonna win games we need an excellent D, and I DONT wanna lose Herring. On the same side, if Nutt leaves, Herring probably will, too. Malzhan, probably not. Only if Butch comes and Gus stays would I think of an SEC 'ship. Otherwise, giving that Nutt doesn't screw up things too much, I dread that he'll take Herring with him.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: abostian on April 02, 2006, 09:51:10 pm
Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 09:46:14 pm
Quote from: abostian on April 02, 2006, 09:43:54 pm
I think Broyles would have to convince him that he can have the HC job here when Frank retires (if that ever happens).  Otherwise a HC job at a "Mid-Major" university would be the next logical step up.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were already a deal in place that when FB retires, Nutt moves into his slot, and Gus slides into the HC position.
That would be ideal.  Couldn't happen soon enough IMO.
Unbelievable.  He's not a "great" coach, but let's promote him to AD.

This has become about HDN's future, NOT the about the success of the Hogs.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: Izual65 on April 02, 2006, 10:04:45 pm
If Gus takes the HC job, what happens to Herring? I think both are capable if the HC job. IF Gus gets the job, Herring ain't staying. It's rather condescending to have a 1 yr college coach move up above an experienced, well-known, veteran D-cordinator that's prolly been waiting for his opportunity for some time.

If the hogs are gonna win games we need an excellent D, and I DONT wanna lose Herring. On the same side, if Nutt leaves, Herring probably will, too. Malzhan, probably not. Only if Butch comes and Gus stays would I think of an SEC 'ship. Otherwise, giving that Nutt doesn't screw up things too much, I dread that he'll take Herring with him.

I don't get the hard on for B Davis. He's just a name, there is no proof that he would be any better then what we have now.

wildhogman

The one thing I like about Butch over Nutt is he will hire good assistants and fire them when needed. His loyalty is to winning. So if Herring leaves I bet frank has a list of coaches, who have lists of assistants.
I am more worried about winning 8 games but pass blocking stil being suspect, yet no changes being made.
Football is like anything else, your either growing and getting better, or your stagnant which means dieing. USC wins the MNC in 2004 and still changes coaches because they had coaches so good they got better jobs. Thats growing, something Ark seems to have forgotten about.

The Pulse

umm you guys that would sell your left nut to get rid of the other Nutt. What happens if the razorbacks were to come out next season and kick the crap out of everyone. That would most-likely mean more years of Nutt being here. I mean you'd be excited to be winning but what about Nutt??

Quote from: pulsation of being on April 02, 2006, 10:34:21 pm
umm you guys that would sell your left nut to get rid of the other Nutt. What happens if the razorbacks were to come out next season and kick the crap out of everyone. That would most-likely mean more years of Nutt being here. I mean you'd be excited to be winning but what about Nutt??
It would set him up to be able to leave, if he is smart.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: pulsation of being on April 02, 2006, 10:34:21 pm

You tell me.

A guy that for years has cost you at least two games a season.  Has said some weird to ridiculous things, has never taken blame, but always taken credit.

This same guy, that could have avoided so much if his EGO would just have allowed him to step out of the way, get someone that could manage a game,  someone that could call a good game, and if he himself would have been GRACIUS enough to let others have some credit.  If this guy that could have avoided all of that, never did anything to make those changes UNTIL HE WAS FORCED TO...what would you think about him?

No, he hasn't changed...and neither will my opinion of him as a person or a coach.
Retired Radio Host

The Pulse

i was thinking more along the lines of secretly kidnapping him and replacing him with a robot coach that looks like nutt and sounds like him. So far thats all i got. I'll pull out the blueprints and get on that first thing monday morning.

The Pulse

but seriously ...can you ask a head coach that is winning 11 to 10 games (i'm not saying that it will happen) to step down? I don't know how'd you go about getting rid of him.

Quote from: pulsation of being on April 02, 2006, 11:02:13 pm
but seriously ...can you ask a head coach that is winning 11 to 10 games (i'm not saying that it will happen) to step down?
YES, if he doesn't take the hint...

lyon98

Nutt and Bill Curry have a lot in common. Neither ever wanted to let an assistant go that was a loyal* assistant, regardless of whether or not he was a capable assistant. No one has the knowledge they do about choosing and assistant, fans are basically ignorant in respect to football. Curry got fired. There the similarities end. HDN is still at UA and Curry is getting paid to sit in a press box, Curry is better educated, has poise, was a hell of a football player in college and the pros and doesn't chew his finger nails. They both let their egos control them. I would like to see nutt go to work for some sports program. I wouldn't have to watch him then.

You can substitute a number of words here* _____, brown noser, etc.

Coaches have a lot in common with preachers and lawyers. They have to have a tremendous desire to win, they have to be able to live with criticism, they have want to propagandize and proselyte. All of those things require a large ego, they can't let it be the driving control. Holtz lost touch with the common folk, if he ever had it, I borrowed that from Kipling's poem about being a man.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

lyon98

but seriously ...can you ask a head coach that is winning 11 to 10 games (i'm not saying that it will happen) to step down? I don't know how'd you go about getting rid of him.

Ask Bill Curry if that can happen.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

The Pulse

With all that being said, who is gonna ask Nutt to step down? (Providing that they win) Frank Broyles???  who else will Nutt listen to? People that are fence sitters may just be pulled back to being huggers again. The opposite can be said if we lose...the fence sitters will be turned into darksiders and Nutt will probabally be gone.

razorbackfan502000

Ask Nebraska if you can fire a winning coach. But you raise an interesting point, all these Nutt haters, will they just hate this guy forever even if he turns it around and starts winning again. They seem to have forgotten that he warned FB that there were 2 lean years coming and Frank seems to be ok with it, so.........

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 03, 2006, 08:54:24 am

Ask Nebraska if you can fire a winning coach. But you raise an interesting point, all these Nutt haters, will they just hate this guy forever even if he turns it around and starts winning again. They seem to have forgotten that he warned FB that there were 2 lean years coming and Frank seems to be ok with it, so.........

Of course I will be thrilled if we win.  But HDN will never be forgiven for what he has done...1)  Because he has done to much, 2)  Because he has continued to do those things, 3)  Because he thinks he is above doing anything wrong,(so arrogant and blind),  4)  Because even when it is obvious and even pointed out to him that he has done wrong, he passes blame and shows no remorse.

The man lacks integrity and character.  So...
Retired Radio Host

lyon98

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 03, 2006, 08:54:24 am

Why ask Nebraska? Ask Alabama, they fired Curry, who I think was 10-1, got Gene Stallings and won a NC.

"Say Frank, we are going to have two lean years, we had to use, who I never felt would be the starting QB, Matt Jones because we, my staff, me(?), didn't recruit one. Had problems because we, my staff, (me) couldn't coach one. That's ok isn't it?"  

A better question is why that was allowed. How tolerant would a CEO be in a profit making organization?
What Is A Veteran?

hogtheball

Wasn't Hatfield 10-2 his last two years, before we chased him off?  That wouldn't exactly be uncharted territory.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.