Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Q for posters who have watched Malzahn....

Started by JIHawg, April 01, 2006, 04:40:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Defenses will obviously come after our QB.  Is that why we're reading all this about Hillis, McFaddin and Jones being in the passing game?  What do you see Malzahn doing to counter an 8 man rush, or a zone blitz?

93hog

The reason Hillis, McFaddin and Jones are involved in the passing game is because they are our best receivers.  They go after the ball.  Our receivers don't, except Monk did make a couple of nice grabs today. 

TorsinAHog

We also used the 3 step drop today which would help
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

FLKeysGuy

Many of SHS' pass plays were 5 yard routes when the defense was crowding the line... once the ball was caught, Damian / Andrew were in open field to make some big yards.  Many of MM's yardage stats were only 5-10 yard passes with 10-30 yards on the ground after the catch.

Randall baumgartne

Not only will this new offense help put some points up,but I thing it will also help our defense out getting to see the spread attack offense it's a win win no matter what

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Randall baumgartne on April 01, 2006, 07:39:43 pm
Not only will this new offense help put some points up,but I thing it will also help our defense out getting to see the spread attack offense it's a win win no matter what

You bet it will!  Gus uses multiple formations and shifts.  It's really pretty cool to watch defenses get a little twisted up trying to figure out what the hell the offense is gonna do.  If you can make a defense hesistate when you have weapons like Monk and Dmac, it makes for some big plays.  Our defense will benefit from seeing some of the best in the SEC running an offense that keeps you on your toes.

turbo2000

His offense will be in a better position to put pressure on the defense and not the other way as we have had in the past.

tulsahog36

Quote from: 93hog on April 01, 2006, 04:44:00 pm
The reason Hillis, McFaddin and Jones are involved in the passing game is because they are our best receivers.  They go after the ball.  Our receivers don't, except Monk did make a couple of nice grabs today. 

Dont go after the ball:  i.e. Monk giving up the season vs South Carolina when he cut his route short on the last 4th down play because he didnt want to get hit by the safty.  thoughts of that play still anger me!!  I bet there wont be any receivers cutting their routes short this year.  Gus would put his foot up their a@@.

VoR

Quote from: JIHawg on April 01, 2006, 04:40:25 pm
Defenses will obviously come after our QB.  Is that why we're reading all this about Hillis, McFaddin and Jones being in the passing game?  What do you see Malzahn doing to counter an 8 man rush, or a zone blitz?

Execution, all it takes to stop it is the 2nd time a 5 or so yard pass gets 30+ total yards and it won't happen except in times of desperation (i.e. down by touchdown or more and less then 5 minutes left in game)
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

razorbackfan502000

I don't see too many 8 man rushes being used against us next season. If teams do it too often, Dmac will take the ball and blast right by their blitzing LB's, and if that happens there is noway a DB is going to tackle him one on one.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 01, 2006, 11:28:35 pm
I don't see too many 8 man rushes being used against us next season. If teams do it too often, Dmac will take the ball and blast right by their blitzing LB's, and if that happens there is noway a DB is going to tackle him one on one.

The last two years we have only had one big threat at a time in the game.  M. Jones two years ago...Dmac or Felix last year.

This year, we will have both of those guys with possibly/probably Smith in the game at the same time...any of those guys could take it to the house on any given play.  Then D. Williams will be in there fairly quickly, Monk as a possession receiver...Hillis with all of the things he can do.

The last two year, defenses only had to worry about one player...and almost always knew where and what that player was going to be doing (play calling)...now, with creative play calling and more than two big time threats...defenses can't put 9 in the box and all of them just run at our one good player.
Retired Radio Host

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 01, 2006, 11:40:00 pm

The last two years we have only had one big threat at a time in the game.  M. Jones two years ago...Dmac or Felix last year.

This year, we will have both of those guys with possibly/probably Smith in the game at the same time...any of those guys could take it to the house on any given play.  Then D. Williams will be in there fairly quickly, Monk as a possession receiver...Hillis with all of the things he can do.

The last two year, defenses only had to worry about one player...and almost always knew where and what that player was going to be doing (play calling)...now, with creative play calling and more than two big time threats...defenses can't put 9 in the box and all of them just run at our one good player.

Kudos to you sir, that is 3 or 4 matters that we have completely agreed upon, you are obviously a brilliant person.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 12:18:09 am

Kudos to you sir, that is 3 or 4 matters that we have completely agreed upon, you are obviously a brilliant person.

Thank you sir.  You are now the third person that believes that about me.  My Mother, my three yr old daughter...and you.  My wife waffles between brilliant and idiot...but tends to vote idiot.
Retired Radio Host

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 02, 2006, 12:22:57 am

Thank you sir.  You are now the third person that believes that about me.  My Mother, my three yr old daughter...and you.  My wife waffles between brilliant and idiot...but tends to vote idiot.

My wife's opinion of me changes hourly, I am the HDN of marriages, when i do accidently blunder into a "win" im the greatest thing since sliced bread; but for the most part I have obviously married up and don't belong where i am.

HAHA how's that for a paradigm?

BTW What's a guy gottta do to get some karma around here?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 12:26:41 am

My wife's opinion of me changes hourly, I am the HDN of marriages, when i do accidently blunder into a "win" im the greatest thing since sliced bread; but for the most part I have obviously married up and don't belong where i am.

Sorry...there you go...I made you 10
Retired Radio Host

razorbackfan502000

the good uglyuncle giveth and some other douchebag taketh away. Frikin losers, smiting me just b/c of my superior intellect.

HogFansReunited

Make it an 11
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: FireNutt on April 02, 2006, 01:45:00 am

Make it an 11

That was a great post,

and I posted that post, brotha!!

BPPig

Any kind of vertical passing game success makes it very difficult for them to put too many folks up front. It is one thing that always drove me crazy about Nutt. Every coach that has been successful with an offense based on power football always incorporated a vertical game. As Teri Bradshaw is fond of saying ;" complete or not the ball has to go down the field".

Personally I hope that they zone blitz us a lot next year. I would love to see a defensive lineman trying to keep up with one of our backs in space.

HornetHog

Get ready all you offensive Geniuses.....I've been preaching this for 2 years now.  Passing game will set us free.  doesn't matter who's coming...how many their sending....or they have all all American D-linemen up front.  When you're in shot gun and only take a 3 step drop and the QB makes his  read during drop....balls gone and away.  Totally takes the line and rush out of the game.  The Genius in Malzan is he spend allhis time mentally preparing his QB's and WR's and Backs to read the Def, for each play.  This takes alot of the pressure off of the QB.  It's the Offense for the future for all of football.  The trick is teaching the QB & WR to always be on the same page.  HH
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

g.lynn

A stat that measures the success of GM's offense are YAC (Yards-After-Catch).  I've seen several games where GM's defensive opponent thought they could get to the QB and/or stuff the run.  One game GM's offense would often shift or motion into 5 wide outs when the defense had 7 or 8 men in the box.  It was and is going to be fun to watch in RRS, but I caution Hogvillians not to get too hyped.  It will take time for GM to get his offense successfully installed.  It did elsewhere.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

PigPusher

Sure is nice to read a whole string of comments with not one bash of Coach Nutt.  Really nice.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

hogtheball

Quote from: g.lynn on April 02, 2006, 01:23:03 pm
A stat that measures the success of GM's offense are YAC (Yards-After-Catch).  I've seen several games where GM's defensive opponent thought they could get to the QB and/or stuff the run.  One game GM's offense would often shift or motion into 5 wide outs when the defense had 7 or 8 men in the box.  It was and is going to be fun to watch in RRS, but I caution Hogvillians not to get too hyped.  It will take time for GM to get his offense successfully installed.  It did elsewhere.

I actually think it will come quicker at the college level than at the high school level.  For one thing, he has so much more time to spend with the college athletes (who are also more talented, and more dedicated to the cause).  Also, can you imagine how difficult is was to come up with skill position players at Shiloh.  And Springdale hasn't exactly become famous over the years for their natural athletes.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: hogtheball on April 02, 2006, 03:04:25 pm
Quote from: g.lynn on April 02, 2006, 01:23:03 pm

I actually think it will come quicker at the college level than at the high school level.  For one thing, he has so much more time to spend with the college athletes (who are also more talented, and more dedicated to the cause).  Also, can you imagine how difficult is was to come up with skill position players at Shiloh.  And Springdale hasn't exactly become famous over the years for their natural athletes.

I think your right, and an added bonus is that he already has a qb and a wr that know his system, so hopefuly the usual 2 season lull while a new system is implemented won't apply here.

hogfancb

What happens if we suck again this year?  I hope not but will Nutt keeps his job?

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: hogfancb on April 02, 2006, 03:26:30 pm
What happens if we suck again this year?  I hope not but will Nutt keeps his job?
Nope.  Even if we do well, he will not be discouraged to use the success (which he will have nothing to do with) to be able to get a job elsewhere.  Hopefully they won't know that much about him...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

razorbackfan502000

IF we suck next season, say goodbye to Marky Mark; Nut aint stupid he kept him for a reason. "It wasn't my fault Coach, if i get a better o line coach, you just wait til next season." Nutt's job is secure, he is golden.

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 03:30:40 pm
IF we suck next season, say goodbye to Marky Mark; Nut aint stupid he kept him for a reason. "It wasn't my fault Coach, if i get a better o line coach, you just wait til next season." Nutt's job is secure, he is golden.
According to people VERY close to the situation on this board, his job is ANYTHING BUT secure. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 02, 2006, 03:34:00 pm
According to people VERY close to the situation on this board, his job is ANYTHING BUT secure. 

I don't buy that for a second, not one little second. Broyles is in lust with the guy, either that or Nutt has pictures of him violating some young man. First I would be shocked if we suck next year, second I would be stunned if Nutt paid for our sucking with his job.

hogtheball

I think even Nutt will admit to his closest friends that he's on the hot-seat.  at 8-4, he will certainly stay.  At 5-7, he will most certainly go.  Anywhere in between and your guess is as good as mine.  Oh, and if he's offered a Nebraska job again, don't look for the powers that be to negotiate with him  to stay.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Ross U (HDHF)

Man I hope somebody offers him after the year. I have a feeling that hogtheball is right and we'd let him go.  Pick up Butch as HC and he keeps Malzahn on (and hopefully Herring).  Don't get me wrong, I think/hope we'll do well this year.  I'd rather us do well and HDN leave than us do poorly and him get fired.  Then there would be nothing holding this program back, either in our minds or in reality.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: hogtheball on April 02, 2006, 03:40:46 pm

I think even Nutt will admit to his closest friends that he's on the hot-seat.  at 8-4, he will certainly stay.  At 5-7, he will most certainly go.  Anywhere in between and your guess is as good as mine.  Oh, and if he's offered a Nebraska job again, don't look for the powers that be to negotiate with him  to stay.

You wouldn't think they would , would you? However, would you have ever thought Neb or LSU would have had serious interest in the guy? My thoughts on him are just total confusion. I mean someone, somewhere must see something in him, but what? why? Anything could happen when it comes to this guy, it's crazy.

cookie52

8-4 would be average at best, and this year's team is better than that, in my opinion. 7 wins would be ULM, Utah St, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, Bama (not a gimme, but they're Croyle-less), and SE Missouri State. Of USC, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn and South Carolina, with 3 being in-state, we should win 2-3 of these. I'm more worried about the last two games, simply cause they're on the road. USC is a bit frightening, but how they reload will tell us about them. For those that remember, Miami should have just reloaded, and they haven't been very impressive since that run they had about 4 years ago.

ballhog™

Screens (tunnel, wide reciever, slip, middle), draws, bubble passes, and traps...what most any capable D1 team can execute.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 03:53:08 pm

You wouldn't think they would , would you? However, would you have ever thought Neb or LSU would have had serious interest in the guy? My thoughts on him are just total confusion. I mean someone, somewhere must see something in him, but what? why? Anything could happen when it comes to this guy, it's crazy.
What is more likely is that we will have a great season, and what I am afraid of is that Gus will get a HC offer next year.  Then what can we do?  All the money in the world can't make a guy stay as an OC if he has a HC offer.  And I don't see Broyles canning Nutt to offer Gus the HC job here.  And since Frank is evidently not going to retire for another 50 years, there won't be any room to move Nutt up (and out of the way).

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: abostian on April 02, 2006, 05:36:46 pm
Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 03:53:08 pm

What is more likely is that we will have a great season, and what I am afraid of is that Gus will get a HC offer next year.  Then what can we do?  All the money in the world can't make a guy stay as an OC if he has a HC offer.  And I don't see Broyles canning Nutt to offer Gus the HC job here.  And since Frank is evidently not going to retire for another 50 years, there won't be any room to move Nutt up (and out of the way).

Reality check here please, we are the laughing stock of the nation for hiring Gus as an OC straight out of the hs ranks. I don't give a dam if we score 60 pts a game and become the undefeated NC. Gus will NOT get an offer to be a college HC. Not after one season, that just won't happen.

ballhog™

Im sure no one was laughing when USC hung 70 on us.
Or Vandy beat us at home after we griped about not having them on our schedule.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

razorbackfan502000

ok, i should have said we are an even bigger laughing stock than we already were...

lyon98

8 man rush is nothing new to the Hogs. How do you think Vanderbilt stuffed them?
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

bro.coach

Reality check here please, we are the laughing stock of the nation for hiring Gus as an OC straight out of the hs ranks. I don't give a dam if we score 60 pts a game and become the undefeated NC. Gus will NOT get an offer to be a college HC. Not after one season, that just won't happen.
[/quote]

This is a stupid statement.

hogtheball

Quote from: bro.coach on April 02, 2006, 08:03:55 pm

[/quote]

Actually, a few smaller colleges talked to Gus about head coaching opportunities before the UofA hired him.  You might have to revise your statement somewhat - less you be thought to be the one making stupid statements.

bro.coach

Razorbackfan5020 was the one who made the stupid statement.

April 02, 2006, 08:18:41 pm #42 Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 08:24:47 pm by notshavintilnuttgo
Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 05:46:54 pm
Reality check here please, we are the laughing stock of the nation for hiring Gus as an OC straight out of the hs ranks.
Wow.  Shows how much you have been following things.  You are giving us some great material.  Are you available for parties?

brooks74

We have had one week of spring practice with 3 days in pads.  I am very excited about Gus, Alex Wood, and what our defense will look like with Herring here for the 2nd year.  But to think our offense is going to be running like a well-oiled machine the first half of the season is very optimistic.  It will take some time for the Hogs to adjust to the new offense, and for it to click.  I think 7 wins is a good season next year, but in 2007 watch out.  And the only HC offers Gus will get next year if we had a great year is lower tier D-1, and I doubt he would leave for one of those.

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 05:46:54 pm
Reality check here please, we are the laughing stock of the nation for hiring Gus as an OC straight out of the hs ranks.

Here's a link for you, and those who missed it.  Yeah, really sounds like "we are the laughing stock".  Any laughter you still hear is b/c we kept The Nutt.  Not b/c of Gus, as you have so clearly stated.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5334446?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=24

Quote from: brooks74 on April 02, 2006, 08:39:23 pm
We have had one week of spring practice with 3 days in pads.  I am very excited about Gus, Alex Wood, and what our defense will look like with Herring here for the 2nd year.  But to think our offense is going to be running like a well-oiled machine the first half of the season is very optimistic.  It will take some time for the Hogs to adjust to the new offense, and for it to click.  I think 7 wins is a good season next year, but in 2007 watch out.  And the only HC offers Gus will get next year if we had a great year is lower tier D-1, and I doubt he would leave for one of those.
I agree, Gus is going nowhere.  You can't help but think he is secretly hoping Butch is the HC next year. 

I believe Gus truly cares about winning more than anything else.  That is truly a breath of fresh air around here.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: hogtheball on April 02, 2006, 08:08:57 pm
Quote from: bro.coach on April 02, 2006, 08:03:55 pm

Actually, a few smaller colleges talked to Gus about head coaching opportunities before the UofA hired him.  You might have to revise your statement somewhat - less you be thought to be the one making stupid statements.
[/quote]

Ofcourse I meant he would get no offers from schools that he would be interested in. Meaning schools at the same level as arkansas. Some little colleges wuld probably love to have him, but that aint gonna happen. I don't believe he has the ambition to coach college ball just to coach college ball, ithink he believes in the hogs.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I think Broyles would have to convince him that he can have the HC job here when Frank retires (if that ever happens).  Otherwise a HC job at a "Mid-Major" university would be the next logical step up.

razorbackfan502000

Quote from: abostian on April 02, 2006, 09:43:54 pm
I think Broyles would have to convince him that he can have the HC job here when Frank retires (if that ever happens).  Otherwise a HC job at a "Mid-Major" university would be the next logical step up.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were already a deal in place that when FB retires, Nutt moves into his slot, and Gus slides into the HC position.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on April 02, 2006, 09:46:14 pm
Quote from: abostian on April 02, 2006, 09:43:54 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if there were already a deal in place that when FB retires, Nutt moves into his slot, and Gus slides into the HC position.
That would be ideal.  Couldn't happen soon enough IMO.