Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weems Excited About UA Future (Article)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 31, 2006, 09:49:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogfankb

Stewie, if it wasn't for you I might actually have to read a newpapers or watch the news. Thanks for saving me time.

Josef

Stewie...how do you insert pictures in your post...I wanna put a good one up of sonny

Brett Hitman Hog

Sonny told 5News this past week regardless of if Ronnie comes back or not, he expects a run the NCAA tournament.  At least Sweet 16, Elite 8.  He said he has  never been on a losing team, and he won't be next year, either.  He expects to win.

Josef

Yah, I heard that interview....Well hopefully he wont be let down then

Lando Calrissian

I hope he's ready because we're gonna need him.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

BPPig

I hope the bacon nation does not spit the bit as far as Sonny is concerned. I have lived in areas where the juco system thrived and enjoyed going to the games. It was a very cheap ticket to see good competitive BB. After a few years of watching the players in the league and following their careers in college one fact just jumps out at you. There are very, very few saviors for a major college program that come through the juco system no matter how big a juco star they were. I couldn't count the number of guards we saw play that just stroked the trey in juco and couldn't hit the rim hardly in the SEC. The difference in defense is more the form of a geometric scale. He seems to be a very nice player with a great head on his shoulders who should become a very solid player for us. Expecting him to be anything else who be very unfair to Sonny and a disappointment in all probability to you. If we are lucky we will get a good solid second half. Come on does anyone really believe the level of competition is anywhere close. If you do, go to a couple of games and get back to me.

labb

April 02, 2006, 08:06:17 am #9 Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 08:14:39 am by labb
Most Jr. College players don't really come on untill their second year at a D-1 school. A lot of is learning to play with their new teammates in a new system. I think that it will be different with Sonny. The reason is that he has been working out with and playing against the Razorbacks all year. It will make a difference.

We really need a knock down outside shooter to show up next year. That could be McCurdy I'm told. If one does and our Bigs progress as they should, we have the chance to be a pretty salty team with or without Ronnie Brewer.

Hugehogsfan

Well we just need a point guard to step up, whether that is Smith or Ervin or Beverly I don't know, but if we could use McCurdy as a SG instead of using him at point, it will help his shots and his ability to get open. 

labb

Most of those that have seen practices say that Ervin is the real deal as a PG. I hope so..

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: labb on April 02, 2006, 10:34:40 am
Most of those that have seen practices say that Ervin is the real deal as a PG. I hope so..

I'm willing to bet that he'll be better than both of the guys that we had there this past year.  ervin and mccurdy will be a big improvement... no disrespect to the other two
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

BPPig

Ervin is a gamble. During this year's intersquad game he was a turnover machine. However, it should not be too daunting a task to replace the ones we lost.

wrightobe

Quote from: BPPig on April 02, 2006, 05:19:55 am
I hope the bacon nation does not spit the bit as far as Sonny is concerned. I have lived in areas where the juco system thrived and enjoyed going to the games. It was a very cheap ticket to see good competitive BB. After a few years of watching the players in the league and following their careers in college one fact just jumps out at you. There are very, very few saviors for a major college program that come through the juco system no matter how big a juco star they were. I couldn't count the number of guards we saw play that just stroked the trey in juco and couldn't hit the rim hardly in the SEC. The difference in defense is more the form of a geometric scale. He seems to be a very nice player with a great head on his shoulders who should become a very solid player for us. Expecting him to be anything else who be very unfair to Sonny and a disappointment in all probability to you. If we are lucky we will get a good solid second half. Come on does anyone really believe the level of competition is anywhere close. If you do, go to a couple of games and get back to me.
That is the way Arkansas got Ron Brewer, Sr.

I believed he played one year juco at Ft. Smith, and man did he help the Razorback team.

Pignominious

Sonny Weems and Gary Ervin will not be the savior of Hog bball, but improved team play would.  If Ervin and Weems along with the other new recruits buy into the team concept we could be good. 
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Randall baumgartne

BPPig

I would love to see the hogs play as a team for 40 minutes. Hell 30 minutes would be an improvement. Sonny is from my end of the world and he is a team player. Sometimes too much so. I get unsure vibes about Ervin but he has to be an improvement over last year. SM is point guard in my opinion. I also don't understand the defensive liability thing. If they beat him off the dribble they have to face out bigs and that is no fun. The was a team in the olden days called the Boston Celtics ( I am aware the they still are a team) who won a lot of championships with a man named Bill Russell at center doing the exact same thing. Their guards could gamble, K C Jones being the best one at this, and not worry about free trips to basket if they missed. The NBA was boring for a duration they won so much.

What bothers me is that we played that way in short stretches this year and could play with anyone. The ball was going in almost every possession and the game looked easy. Then suddenly it seemed the usually ineffective 3 point barrage would start and we would have droughts. It was almost like a whole different group suddenly arrived. The bigs would start dropping the few passes that went inside and it seemed we just ground to a halt. Sigh.

Be that as it may, we have a very similar team to the ones in the final four this year. As freaky as it sounds there is reason for hope. I wish I felt the same about the FB team. I have never seen a coach flat just give away two games before at this level.

Kinghog1

I feel if Ronnie goes Pro we WILL still be in good shape to make a good run with Weems...........Weems Is the one that just might make or break Stan !!!
Tough Titty said The Kitty but the milk is still good

zwhogfan

BPPig, you called Ervin a turnover machine in the scrimmage. I believe he had 18 assists in the scrimmage also. Oh, and on over 1/2 of those turnovers, he made great passes to players like Townes and Hunter, both of whom could catch absolutely nothing. At least 10 of those turnovers in that scrimmage were off of passes that hit our players directly in the hands or chest and were dropped.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: wrightobe on April 02, 2006, 09:42:20 pm
Quote from: BPPig on April 02, 2006, 05:19:55 am
That is the way Arkansas got Ron Brewer, Sr.

I believed he played one year juco at Ft. Smith, and man did he help the Razorback team.
And Darrell Walker and Corey Beck and the list goes on and on

BPPig

April 03, 2006, 10:21:48 am #21 Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 10:29:58 am by BPPig
I am glad to hear that many off those were off drops. Watching our guys catch the ball I could sure believe that was the case. I am going more by his play at MS. His t/a ratio was not very good for a PG. I know he and RS did not see eye to eye and I sure hope that influenced his play. I look at the final four teams and we seem to be close. Maybe that is looking though life with Hog colored glasses on but it seems to me that even without Brewer we have a good chance to be really competitive again. I hope all the drops the bigs had this year were more from lack of concentration due to rarely seeing the ball instead of bad hands. Thanks for that data zwhogfan.

The list goes on and on. You mean with players like Pate. It is easier to remember the hits than the ones who failed to live up to others expectations the first year. I love the kid, I just don't want to expect too much too soon because history says that is a reasonable position.

codeHog

Weems can play D and run and dunk and pass.

Those things can be carried from a Juco or anywhere else.

It is the shooting and D that cause so many Juco stars to make slow adjustments to the Big Show

Scout Team Defense

BPPig

STD, I sure hope you are correct on that assessment. I don't see it myself. Sonny is a better all around player and not as good offensively as Chris. It took CP awhile to adapt also but his first mid season that dude was a stud. Sad about the injury.

I do have to point out that each year a hundred of so jucos sign with D1 schools. If you can name five each year that had a major impact their first year you have a better memory than I do for sure. There are always exceptions that prove the rule.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: BPPig on April 03, 2006, 10:21:48 am
I am glad to hear that many off those were off drops. Watching our guys catch the ball I could sure believe that was the case. I am going more by his play at MS. His t/a ratio was not very good for a PG. I know he and RS did not see eye to eye and I sure hope that influenced his play. I look at the final four teams and we seem to be close. Maybe that is looking though life with Hog colored glasses on but it seems to me that even without Brewer we have a good chance to be really competitive again. I hope all the drops the bigs had this year were more from lack of concentration due to rarely seeing the ball instead of bad hands. Thanks for that data zwhogfan.

The list goes on and on. You mean with players like Pate. It is easier to remember the hits than the ones who failed to live up to others expectations the first year. I love the kid, I just don't want to expect too much too soon because history says that is a reasonable position.
I agree I guess both lists could go on and on  ..

Josef

Considering I saw Sonny play 25+ games this year. I will tell you the offensive expectations are too high from him. I will be impressed if he acerages 10 points a game next year. BUT his defense is very good and he is smart. He moves amazingly without the ball and is a great team player. He will bring defense-passing and sweet dunks to this team. He needs to work on his jump shot and he even admits to that. Too many expectations for him on offense though....

BPPig

Josef,

I have only seen him a couple of times in Juco. Wrong end of state for me. In HS he had a nice little mid range game that many players drop for some reason after they go to college. JM had one in HS also but rarely used it at AR. Will he still pull up for that 15 footer over the long haul of the season? Just watching a couple of games can give you bad impressions depending on the matchup.