Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

casey dick

Started by tophawg19, March 29, 2006, 04:01:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

does working with alex wood give casey a big advantage over mitch? i would think it would because he can learn everything wood wants done now . and wood knows qb's so casey should be able to work on any faults he has now mitch will have to wait till the fall . also does anyone doubt that all of our qb'swill be better this year now that we have a real qb coach.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LA HAWG

Dale has already said that Mitch would most likely be redshirted.

tophawg19

that was only if he wasn't the best but do we have a second qb who can get it done if dick goes down? under wood i think the answer might be yes for a change . johnson and mortensen should get a lot better now.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 29, 2006, 04:01:32 pm
does working with alex wood give casey a big advantage over mitch? i would think it would because he can learn everything wood wants done now . and wood knows qb's so casey should be able to work on any faults he has now mitch will have to wait till the fall . also does anyone doubt that all of our qb'swill be better this year now that we have a real qb coach.

I'm not sure that last year's QB coach was the problem with out QB's. Coach Nutt's inability to find the one guy that could play the position with enough "fearlessness" to stand in the pocket, was the real problem.  Casey did very well for a true freshman, but, he should have gotten 3 more games of experience under his belt before he hit the field when he did.

We all have a better outlook for the future because we think that these guys are better coaches, but all will be proven on the field.  We will see what Malzahn's offence will, or won't, do the first Sat. in September.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

dana caldwell

it's dick's job to lose (he earned that last season tenfold) but the advantage obviously goes to mustain for knowing malzahn's offense.

that said, mustain appears to be a REAL smart guy and likely will redshirt. that would make dick the man (even felt strange typing that) this season, great competition next season and one great backup next season and the one after.

just a win-win situation for arkansas at that position for the first time in ... well, a helluva long time.

tophawg19

i'm thinking more along the line of wood improving things early with gus catching up later as he learns to deal with the SEC defenses . there ain't much coach wood hasn't seen with all his experence

FLKeysGuy

mitch will have to wait till the fall

Summer school starts May 22nd.  ;)

fu-man-soo

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 29, 2006, 04:04:45 pm

when did he say that?

Ark Blitz

Mustain will not redshirt and should not redshirt.  He has all of the tools as a freshman to be better than Dick.  Dick had two wins over Ole Miss and Miss St, that is not saying much.  It should be Mitch's position to lose.  All of the QB's should be a lot better with GM and AW coaching them.

Of course all of the QB's should be better with a position coach like Woods.  You should see major differences with GM and AW handling the offense.  Both coaches know how to make players get better.  They will be able to push these players each day in practice.  That did not happend last year.

tophawg19

you know it's possible by the time wood gets through with them that we might have 4 or 5 real qb's for a change .

King-Tusk

Quote from: dana caldwell on March 29, 2006, 04:15:43 pm
it's dick's job to lose (he earned that last season tenfold) but the advantage obviously goes to mustain for knowing malzahn's offense.

Didn't Casey run an offense similar to Gus' in high school?
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

DOGALUM

Dale is a tool.   Mitch will win the job quickly.  He's that good.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: King-Tusk on March 29, 2006, 04:24:47 pm

"similar" will not offset the fact that Mitchell has been coached directly by Gus for the past 3 years and has been in Gus' system for the past 5 years.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Have to disagree with your last statement about having a real qb coach.  Should change that to now that the head coach is letting the QB coach and OC do their jobs and staying the hell out of their business.  There is no doubt in my mind that Witke was a good and real QB coach he was just handcuffed by the MSM.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

nwarazfan

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 29, 2006, 04:31:51 pm
Quote from: King-Tusk on March 29, 2006, 04:24:47 pm

"similar" will not offset the fact that Mitchell has been coached directly by Gus for the past 3 years and has been in Gus' system for the past 5 years.

The offense at Ark will be new to Mitch too.  It will be adjusted to McF and Jones, to our OL abilities(unfortunately), and to what will work vs the speed and athleticism of SEC defenses.  MM should have an advantage on terminology though.

tophawg19

he was that good in high school college may be different . he still has to try and learn the college defenses . there is a big deference in what he saw in H.S and what he soon will see .even the manning brothers struggled as freshmen and i'm not ready to put him in the class with them yet.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Fresh Legs on March 29, 2006, 04:20:49 pm

Dale may get told what to do on this situation too.  He'll do what he's told.
Quote from: fu-man-soo on March 29, 2006, 04:21:32 pm

when did he say that?

It was in an oline article, but per Rick Schaffer and Randy Rainwater, this is totally a bogus deal. They said that it was ridiculous and that when he gets one campus this fall  (may ;)) he will have a just as good a shot at it as anyone else...well, actually better, HE'S MITCH MUSTAIN!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 29, 2006, 04:35:21 pm
even the manning brothers struggled as freshmen and i'm not ready to put him in the class with them yet.

I am.  So you can call me "biased".

He's the real deal. 

tophawg19

biased naw , not you and dogalum  ;) hell you guys make shaffer look like a critic when it come to mitch and sprindale .mike irwin is just about as bad :D but he ain't done nuffin yet so i'll wait to pass judgement on him .

FLKeysGuy

March 29, 2006, 04:53:03 pm #19 Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 05:07:15 pm by FLKeysGuy
Quote from: tophawg19 on March 29, 2006, 04:46:04 pm
biased naw , not you and dogalum  ;) hell you guys make shaffer look like a critic when it come to mitch and sprindale .mike irwin is just about as bad :D but he ain't done nuffin yet so i'll wait to pass judgement on him .

He's done enough in my book to give him the benefit of the doubt.  When he was in 8th grade I told my cousin he'd be a top college prospect.  He argued with me saying "He's only 13!!!"  and "How can you even begin to think that"  Blah blah blah.  I told him to put up or shut up.  As a result, I now have a $100 bill in a frame on my wall that I won from my overly skeptical, Chicago-ego'd cousin!  8)

So when I say he'll be a top NFL draft pick, I have a little history to back up my evaluation skills.  ;)

Tejano Jawg

March 29, 2006, 04:53:27 pm #20 Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 11:05:18 pm by Tejano Jawg
Last year I read that one reason it took longer to get Casey Dick on the field, and comfortable w/ the offense, was that his high school and jr high ran out of the shotgun. (Don't know how similar to Gus's system or not.) Learning to take snaps under center, so they say, is a hard adjustment in itself. Same is true for QBs who have to learn the shotgun when they haven't played in that scheme previously. But whatever, Casey adjusting BACK to the shotgun should be no big deal.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HOGLUVIN

Yes, he was in the shotgun/spread offense and did quite well... from what I can tell the systems weren't all that different. I dont know about the no huddle though.

The no huddle forces the defense's mind to work fast and make decisions without rest......
guess what, it does the same to the qb.

Thats the only part  I worry about, with any of the "other" qbs.

DOGALUM

Hell yeah I'm biased..........but I also know football and know a big time QB when I see one.

All we have to compare these two guys on is their HS performances.......and that comparison is not even close.   We could also compare them on their QB abilities.....ie. arm strength, touch, accuracy.........again....not close.   

I know Mitch has never taken a snap in the SEC.   Nor had Casey before last year.   There's every reason to believe that based on these comparisons, Mitch would have a better freshman year than Casey.   

(plus......DOGALUM said so...  ;D )

TulsaHawg

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 29, 2006, 04:37:28 pm
Quote from: tophawg19 on March 29, 2006, 04:35:21 pm
even the manning brothers struggled as freshmen and i'm not ready to put him in the class with them yet.

I am.  So you can call me "biased".

He's the real deal. 

No doubt, Mitchell is the "real deal", but he did struggle in the Army Game in San Antonio, and he struggled in the semis two seasons back against Central before he broke his arm.  He is good, but he is NOT super human.

Mitchell has said himself that he wants to have the Shirt unless he is definately the best man for the job.

IMO, people just need to chill and let things develop in their own time.  Mitchell has had enormous expectations placed upon him.....in some cases, expectations which may be nigh to impossible to acheive immediately.

Here's an idea, how about we fans just step back, allow him time to graduate from high school first, before we place the hopes of the free world upon his shoulders?  He will have adjustments other than college football to make as well.  Very possibly, we may need both Casey AND Mitchell before it's over.

TulsaHawg

biased naw , not you and dogalum  ;) hell you guys make shaffer look like a critic when it come to mitch and sprindale .

"You guys make Shaeffer look like a critic...."     Now THAT's funny, Top!  ;D

jkstock04

LOL...ya I'd say its safe to say that Dogalum is the by far the biggest Springdale bulldog/Gus Malzahn/MM homer on the board...haha.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogtheball

I feel sorry for Casey Dick.  I like him and I feel sorry for him.  This whole situation is a lose/lose for Casey Dick.  If Mitch red-shirts, Casey gets a year to show his stuff.  Then, he'll have the daunting task of being the starter ahead of the number 1 rated QB recruit in the country.  Bad pass, put Mitch in.   Bad game PUT MITCH IN!!! 

Casey would be better off for Mitch to start in his first game.  If Mitch is great,  the Hogs are good and Casey can say he tried.  If Mitch looks human, then Dick would have a fighting chance at the position.  I don't know how this is going to play out, but I don't see how Dick can come out ahead.  I just hope Arkansas doesn't have a QB contreversy for the next three seasons.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hog caller

calm down men: Casey is the Qb FOR THE HOGS AND DON'T DOUBT IT. HE'S smart and can throw accurately and has a good arm. he is becoming more of a leader and has the rest of teams confidence that he can make them successful. learning Gus's system won;t be that mind boggling to him. he has faced SEC defences and faired well against them and he won't face a much better one than LSU threw at him last year and if he had any support from a kicker he would have won that game. i say let Mitch red shirt and let's stick with what brought us to the dance.

DOGALUM

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 29, 2006, 09:30:00 pm
LOL...ya I'd say its safe to say that Dogalum is the by far the biggest Springdale bulldog/Gus Malzahn/MM homer on the board...haha.
I proudly wear that label as a badge of honor.   

But I was a Springdale homer LONG before Gus/MM had anything to do with the Red Dogs. 

Homer or not, you've never heard me say anything about Gus or Mitch or anybody else from Springdale that was just off the wall or that wasn't based on fact or track record.    (well.....almost never)

leggman131652002

Mark me down as hoping Casey Dick is the man ..I hope for the good of the program for years to come that he is the starter for the next 3 year..I hope they redshirt MM and let him sit for the next 2 years as CD takes us to a Championship..then I hope MM step in as a Jr starts for 2 years and leads us to another NC..

Thats the way things are suppose to work..If u look back at when Miami was a powerhouse every year One QB would start for 2 years and another would move in..

TulsaHawg

Quote from: leggman131652002 on March 29, 2006, 10:12:27 pm
Mark me down as hoping Casey Dick is the man ..I hope for the good of the program for years to come that he is the starter for the next 3 year..I hope they redshirt MM and let him sit for the next 2 years as CD takes us to a Championship..then I hope MM step in as a Jr starts for 2 years and leads us to another NC..

Thats the way things are suppose to work..If u look back at when Miami was a powerhouse every year One QB would start for 2 years and another would move in..

That's kinda how it worked in Sdale wasn't it?  MM didn't start until his Junior year, then came in and led them to a State Championship his Senior season.

Randall baumgartne

Quote from: hogtheball on March 29, 2006, 09:35:48 pm
I feel sorry for Casey Dick.  I like him and I feel sorry for him.  This whole situation is a lose/lose for Casey Dick.  If Mitch red-shirts, Casey gets a year to show his stuff.  Then, he'll have the daunting task of being the starter ahead of the number 1 rated QB recruit in the country.  Bad pass, put Mitch in.   Bad game PUT MITCH IN!!! 

Casey would be better off for Mitch to start in his first game.  If Mitch is great,  the Hogs are good and Casey can say he tried.  If Mitch looks human, then Dick would have a fighting chance at the position.  I don't know how this is going to play out, but I don't see how Dick can come out ahead.  I just hope Arkansas doesn't have a QB contreversy for the next three seasons.
I agree I hope the first inter casey throws,fans dont start crying put mitch in

DOGALUM

Quote from: Randall baumgartne on March 29, 2006, 11:14:46 pm
I feel sorry for Casey Dick.  I like him and I feel sorry for him.  This whole situation is a lose/lose for Casey Dick.  If Mitch red-shirts, Casey gets a year to show his stuff.  Then, he'll have the daunting task of being the starter ahead of the number 1 rated QB recruit in the country.  Bad pass, put Mitch in.   Bad game PUT MITCH IN!!! 

It would just depend on when he threw that int now wouldn't it?

Randall baumgartne

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 29, 2006, 11:17:44 pm

It would just depend on when he threw that int now wouldn't it?
Don't get me wrong i know mitch is going to be great,but casey is too dick didn't get many reps last fall,heck most of us never even heard of him,so I would say as little reps he got with all the pressure playing in the sec I would grade him A+

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: TulsaHawg on March 29, 2006, 08:55:05 pm
Mitchell has had enormous expectations placed upon him.....

None as high as his own.

hoggystyle78

Last time I checked Casey Dick was the starting QB for the Arkansas Razorbacks. Unless MM is just too good to keep on the bench next year, I say redshirt him, let him get used to college life and his studies. Until someone beats Dick in paractice(wow that sounds funny), he should be the starter, IMO he earned it with his play last year.

hoggystyle78

Last time I checked Casey Dick was the starting QB for the Arkansas Razorbacks. Unless MM is just too good to keep on the bench next year, I say redshirt him, let him get used to college life and his studies. Until someone beats Dick in paractice(wow that sounds funny), he should be the starter, IMO he earned it with his play last year. :razorback:

dana caldwell

i  know i'm out of the loop being some 1,500 miles away, but i swear i heard mustain say HE WANTED to redshirt during an espn interview on signing day.
of course, lots of things could have changed since then.

to me, it's all win-win. if mustain appears to be heads and shoulderpads above dick, run with it. but that's up to mustain. if it's neck and neck or dick has the edge (dick, the edge, i know, i know), he should redshirt. next season is not the breakout one for arkansas (i'm thinking mediocre bowl), and if mustain redshirts, the season after would begin (in the spring) with dick, a three-year starter, as the man, and redshirt freshman mustain the backup. after that, it goes where it goes.

either way, excellent one-two punch down the road. and another poster had a great point: most D-I big-time QBs take over as juniors. there are, of course, exceptions and maybe mustain is that exceptional.

however it plays out should be fine. for the first time in a LONG time, this is not an area of concern. enjoy that.

jkstock04

Quote from: dana caldwell on March 30, 2006, 07:40:31 am
i  know i'm out of the loop being some 1,500 miles away, but i swear i heard mustain say HE WANTED to redshirt during an espn interview on signing day.
To me....the interview made it sound like if he wasn't gonna be ready to play, he wanted to redshirt.  I think essentially, he absolutley doesn't want what happened to Casey Dick last year to happen to him...not play a snap for the majority of the year then get thrown to the dogs in a desperation attempt....but really, I don't think this is gonna happen.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

dana caldwell

thanx, guys, that makes sense. was in a beef o'brady's munching wings during the interview and guess i missed that important aspect.

either way, good things.

HOGLUVIN

MM isn't on campus yet, but that chant has already started....listen... cant you hear it?     mitch....mitch...mitch...

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 30, 2006, 08:45:56 am

MM isn't on campus yet, but that chant has already started....listen... cant you hear it?     mitch....mitch...mitch...

Actually, that chant started LAST August.  ;)

dishhog10

I doubt Robert Johnson can get any better, he basically just sucks, in order for a QB to get better he has to be able to throw the football to an open receiver, and we all know that Robert Johnson cant do that.   I dont see anyway Johnson will ever see a meaningful snap at QB again.  If Casey gets hurt, Mortenson will be the next to play.   Should Mort get as well, the redshirt will be yanked off of Mitch pretty dang quick.     Alex Mortenson and Casey Dick should both get better.   
Lets band together and back BP

TulsaHawg

i  know I'm out of the loop being some 1,500 miles away, but i swear i heard mustain say HE WANTED to redshirt during an espn interview on signing day.

to me, it's all win-win. if mustain appears to be heads and shoulderpads above dick, run with it. but that's up to mustain. if it's neck and neck or dick has the edge (dick, the edge, i know, i know), he should redshirt. next season is not the breakout one for arkansas (i'm thinking mediocre bowl), and if mustain redshirts, the season after would begin (in the spring) with dick, a three-year starter, as the man, and redshirt freshman mustain the backup. after that, it goes where it goes.

either way, excellent one-two punch down the road. and another poster had a great point: most D-I big-time QBs take over as juniors. there are, of course, exceptions and maybe mustain is that exceptional.

however it plays out should be fine. for the first time in a LONG time, this is not an area of concern. enjoy that.

In the interview with Mike and Bo, MM said he wanted to redshirt unless he was definitely the best QB for the job.  I took from it that he doesn't just want the job handed to him because of all the notoriety he has garnered.

He went on to refer to his high school playing days and he talked about how he didn't start until he was a Junior.  He said that he definitely wasn't ready to start as a Sophomore.  He seemed to indicate that there may be a similar scenario in college.  I think that is a very mature approach for the young man, and causes me to respect him even more.  He apparently realizes that he doesn't know it all, and will have a lot to learn.  I take it that the fans are in a much bigger rush for Mitchell to assume the mantle of starting QB than he is. 

hogtheball

Quote from: TulsaHawg on March 30, 2006, 02:15:31 pm
i  know I'm out of the loop being some 1,500 miles away, but i swear i heard mustain say HE WANTED to redshirt during an espn interview on signing day.

In the interview with Mike and Bo, MM said he wanted to redshirt unless he was definitely the best QB for the job.  I took from it that he doesn't just want the job handed to him because of all the notoriety he has garnered.

He went on to refer to his high school playing days and he talked about how he didn't start until he was a Junior.  He said that he definitely wasn't ready to start as a Sophomore.  He seemed to indicate that there may be a similar scenario in college.  I think that is a very mature approach for the young man, and causes me to respect him even more.  He apparently realizes that he doesn't know it all, and will have a lot to learn.  I take it that the fans are in a much bigger rush for Mitchell to assume the mantle of starting QB than he is. 

I don't know - I think he's saying "red-shirt me or let me start."  Otherwise he would stand a chance of being behind CD until his senior season.  Nobody wants that!
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: hogtheball on March 30, 2006, 02:21:56 pm

I don't know - I think he's saying "red-shirt me or let me start."  Otherwise he would stand a chance of being behind CD until his senior season.  Nobody wants that!

I see your point Hogtheball, but it just seemed in the interview with him talking about how he wasn't ready to play as a sophomore in HS, that he realized that he may not be  ready right out of the chute in college. 

Anyway, that was my interpretation of what he said.

HogInaStrangeLand

Blah, blah, blah....

Mitch is awesome...yep.
Casey has been in SEC games, including LSU, DOES ANYONE REMEMBER WHAT LSU DID TO MIAMI???
     Miami fired their whole coaching staff the next week.
Anyone who thinks Casey is a non-factor is not the sharpest tool in the shed, sorry, but true.

MM and GM both have to adjust to different environments, will they??
I think so without question.
       but it still takes time.

HELLO????
     Why leap-frog a player who has been there for someone who MIGHT be there???

I think MM is that good, I think he's smart enough to know that he doesn't need to rush into anything, kind of like his decision to come to Arkansas.

hogtheball

Quote from: TulsaHawg on March 30, 2006, 02:26:26 pm
Quote from: hogtheball on March 30, 2006, 02:21:56 pm

I see your point Hogtheball, but it just seemed in the interview with him talking about how he wasn't ready to play as a sophomore in HS, that he realized that he may not be  ready right out of the chute in college. 

Anyway, that was my interpretation of what he said.

I don't know what he meant, and Gus confused me a little more by saying he'd fight for the position.  If I was Mitch, I'd want to redshirt and end up starting two years.  How many quarterbacks (or any offensive backs) are able to start all four years and stay healthy? 

FLKeysGuy

Mitch wants to compete for the starting role.  If Gus and Alex don't think he's ready to start by the first game, he wants to redshirt.

HOGLUVIN