Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Predictions??

Started by MikePiazza, November 25, 2012, 09:06:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

razorbackchamps94

hogfan0505

Hard to make a prediction whenever we don't know who will be coaching our team next season. If it's Petersen, I see an 7-5 or 8-4 season being reasonable.

HF#1

Way too many questions to make any sort of coherant prediction.  I won't even attempt it until after spring practice.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

fister

choicesthops

Waaaaay too early with so many questions. We don't even have a coach yet. I don't think we'll have a winning season however.

bennyl08

It is way to early to predict, but wth, it's hogville, and that's why this site exists. With Petrino coaching this year, we are at worst an 8-4 team, at best 10-2. We lose very little on defense from the last half of the season (i.e. Highsmith would have been marked as a huge loss, but his earlyish departure has negated the impact of his vacancy). We also lose only 2 total offensive linemen, only one who was a starter. However, we lose a lot at our offensive skill positions in Tyler, Cobi, Knile, DJ, Wingo, Gragg. (Will be surprised if Knile returns). However, offensive skill positions are the easiest to replace and having a near complete return of defense and OL bodes well. Projecting a coaching hire of Patterson/Peterson, we likely go 7-5. The first three games go without saying, though USM would have blown us this year had we played their 2011 team, they went winless this year. @Rutgers: We should have beat them this year, had we had a mediocre coach. Their defense is solid and we play them far away on the road, but our defense will be better next year, and i bet we don't fumble 1000 times next season. Not a guaranteed win, but I give us a 60% chance as of now. aTm and Florida will be losses. Again, SC hasn't beaten us if we have a 6+ win season, we will, so they won't beat us, especially at home, and yet again, w/o Lattimore (Has that ever happened that it will be 4 years in a row that we played the same team and never had to defend against their star player for 10+ snaps?) Bama=loss, Auburn=win. I project ole miss as a win as well. Our team, even in the loss, is full of more talented players. While Freeze may turn out to be a good coach, they don't have the talent to knock us off with a mediocre or better coach. Miss. St. could go either way. I have no idea how much of their team is senior led. If they have several seniors on the OL and defense, then we should beat them in LR. If they return the core of their team, it could be a very tough game. Finally, LSU is listed as a loss given the location, but as this year showed, you can never truly predict a rivalry game. They lose some key players on the offensive and defensive line, making our job a lot easier. Similar to how Rutgers is listed a win, but could be a loss, LSU is listed in the loss, but could definitely be a win.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

choicesthops

It was hard to go through all that but do we really gave better recruiting than Ole Miss?

HappyFan

I predict that the sky will not fall.

jry04

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on November 25, 2012, 09:16:43 pm
5 and 7 at best.
Regardless of coach? Not sure how you say that. If we get a good coach, the talent is there to win 7 or 8 games. With a decent coach this year we would have blown Ole Miss and Rutgers out.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: MikePiazza on November 25, 2012, 09:06:45 pm
http://www.hogcountryonline.com/?p=7850

That's probably pretty good.  The South Carolina, Mississippi State, and Rutgers games are the swing games in that slate.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Tim Harris

Without knowing who the coach is or seeing how things shake out in spring practice it is hard to know.

My guess is 7-5.

The_Iceman

November 26, 2012, 08:34:42 am #13 Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:49:16 am by The_Iceman
Depends on who the coach is.......

QB: probably Allen. Unproven, will make mistakes, won't be as good as Wilson in first year.
RB: losing Dennis will be huge, and probably Davis. Williams and others are unproven as every down backs.
WR: more unproven players. Talent and potential there, but is there a Cobi/Adams/Wright playmaker type?
TE: if we keep Henry, he will be very talented, but again...unproven.
O-Line: hopefully will be better. They will have experience.
D-Line: should be the strength of the team. Lots of talented redshirts, Smith/Flynn/Jones/Thomas/Flowers all back.
LB: should be another strength of the team. Turner and Peters another year older. Need to find a solid 3rd linebacker/hybrid option. But otherwise should be good there.
Sec: Should be good as well. Not top of the SEC good, but with Mitchel back and all the freshmen that player another year older, might be a good group.

So to me, it looks like our defense should be the strength of the team next year. The offense is summed up in one word = Unproven. With the right coaching, this could be a decent team, but nothing great.

For sure Losses: Alabama, LSU, Texas a&m, Florida
For sure Wins: ULL, Samford, S.Miss, Auburn
Toss Ups: OM, MSt., USCe, Rutgers.

So at worse, it is another 4-8 year.
At best, it is a 8-4 year.
Realistically, a good year would be 6-6 and go to a lower bowl.

MJ2

Agree with 5-7 at best.   SEC record will be 2 wins.   This assumes a good hire is made.   The wrong hire could get us at 3-9 and pondering another buyout. 

bennyl08

Quote from: choicesthops on November 26, 2012, 01:47:15 am
It was hard to go through all that but do we really gave better recruiting than Ole Miss?

Watching the game, our team looked a lot more talented than theirs, simply we made too many errors and did a lot to lose the game while they made very few mistakes.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HG

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 27, 2012, 12:24:00 am
Watching the game, our team looked a lot more talented than theirs, simply we made too many errors and did a lot to lose the game while they made very few mistakes.

They had a much better coach...which is why we're all nattering around and avoiding committing to a real prediction about next season until we know who'll be leading the team.

iluvmyslute89

dominate defense lame offense. we move to a 4-3/3-4 defense. starting de's j.winston and t.flowers. a flynn moves to rolb in 3-4 alignments allowing us to change alignments on the fly from 3-4 to 4-3. the dline is deep. d.philon emerges in the spring as game changing 3-tech dt. peters start at lolb in the 3-4 with turner and freshman ellis roaming the inside running lanes. freshman harding  wins starting job at ss. will hines emerges at fs and wins the starting job. true freshman lamar jordan beats out rohan gaines to win the starting job. junior tevin mitchell earns all american honors and breaks school interception record. rohan gaines is the 6th man of the defense subbing allover the field. cb ray buchanan gets a pick 6 off manziel in the 4th quarter, but am wins on a last second fg. zach mettenberger carves the touted arkansas secondary for 467 yards and two tds but tevin mitchel intercepts a pass in the endzone as time expires and the razorbacks finish the season 7-5 with losses to ole miss,am ,ala, sc, and fl. south carolina completes a miracle season by routing clemson 30-0. jadaveon clowney wins heisman after sc downs alabama 13-0 in atlanta. they go on to bslap no 4 ohio state 29-3 earning a bid to the championship game where they face a surprising nc state team that handled undefeated oregon 24-17 in ot. south carolinas miracle season ends in a 11-10 defeat to nc state. arkansas defeats sunbelt champion western kentucky 32-13 and then i woke up

bennyl08

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on November 27, 2012, 01:38:12 am
dominate defense lame offense. we move to a 4-3/3-4 defense. starting de's j.winston and t.flowers. a flynn moves to rolb in 3-4 alignments allowing us to change alignments on the fly from 3-4 to 4-3. the dline is deep. d.philon emerges in the spring as game changing 3-tech dt. peters start at lolb in the 3-4 with turner and freshman ellis roaming the inside running lanes. freshman harding  wins starting job at ss. will hines emerges at fs and wins the starting job. true freshman lamar jordan beats out rohan gaines to win the starting job. junior tevin mitchell earns all american honors and breaks school interception record. rohan gaines is the 6th man of the defense subbing allover the field. cb ray buchanan gets a pick 6 off manziel in the 4th quarter, but am wins on a last second fg. zach mettenberger carves the touted arkansas secondary for 467 yards and two tds but tevin mitchel intercepts a pass in the endzone as time expires and the razorbacks finish the season 7-5 with losses to ole miss,am ,ala, sc, and fl. south carolina completes a miracle season by routing clemson 30-0. jadaveon clowney wins heisman after sc downs alabama 13-0 in atlanta. they go on to bslap no 4 ohio state 29-3 earning a bid to the championship game where they face a surprising nc state team that handled undefeated oregon 24-17 in ot. south carolinas miracle season ends in a 11-10 defeat to nc state. arkansas defeats sunbelt champion western kentucky 32-13 and then i woke up

While I like the detail, what happened to Eric Bennett? He's only a junior now.

HogWall Jackson

I can't do wins and losses, but I'll say refinish 6th or 7th in The SEC-W next year even with a very good hire.

hogdogcrazy

Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

HotlantaHog

I'd say 5-7 or 6-6 is the base case for a forecast.

The schedule is very tough -- adding Florida on the road, Rutgers now on the road, even Louisiana Lafayette is pretty darn good.

The losses from this year's team are considerable and were going to make this a bit of a challenge, even if Petrino had stayed. Tyler Wilson. Cobi Hamilton. Dennis Johnson. Dylan Breeding.

A new QB who has almost zero experience in playing on the road is pretty much a guarantee for a tough year in the SEC -- Johnny Football at A&M is the exception to the rule. But it is still the rule. See Ryan Mallett's first year.

A new system almost inevitably may be difficult to learn for players who have been around under a different one, and there may be gaps in talent needed for the new system.

All that says anything better than 4-8 marks improvement. A bowl-eligible 6-6 would mark a great start. It will be 2014 before you see a team that seriously competes in the SEC.

And I am assuming we have a good or very good hire. If we somehow make a bad hire, we could be worse than 4-8 next year.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 26, 2012, 08:34:42 am
For sure Losses: Alabama, LSU, Texas a&m, Florida
For sure Wins: ULL, Samford, S.Miss, Auburn
Toss Ups: OM, MSt., USCe, Rutgers

This is a good starting point. If optimistic, win 1 from the first group (I think A&M is the only home game) and 2, maybe 3, from the last group.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HF#1

I can't believe some of you are willing to throw out predictions when we don't have a coach yet. 

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Balling

Quote from: HogFan#1 on November 27, 2012, 08:36:29 am
I can't believe some of you are willing to throw out predictions when we don't have a coach yet.

This.  With Jim Grobe, Tommy Bowden, or Will Muschamp, the 2008 team might have gone 3-9 or 2-10. 

If it's Petersen or Patterson, I think they could coach us up to 6-6 or possibly 7-5 with what the roster looks like it'll be in 2013.  With anyone else, outside of landing some recruit who could be a gamechanger as a freshman, it could be anywhere from 4-8 to 7-5.  Coaching is the ultimate wild card, and our hire will bring a new philosophy, schematics, practice routine, and approach to talent evaluation and development.

Predicting next season's results without knowing the new coach is like trying to predict what your future child will look like before you even meet your wife.

HF#1

Quote from: Hawg Balling on November 27, 2012, 09:02:45 am
This.  With Jim Grobe, Tommy Bowden, or Will Muschamp, the 2008 team might have gone 3-9 or 2-10. 

If it's Petersen or Patterson, I think they could coach us up to 6-6 or possibly 7-5 with what the roster looks like it'll be in 2013.  With anyone else, outside of landing some recruit who could be a gamechanger as a freshman, it could be anywhere from 4-8 to 7-5.  Coaching is the ultimate wild card, and our hire will bring a new philosophy, schematics, practice routine, and approach to talent evaluation and development.

Predicting next season's results without knowing the new coach is like trying to predict what your future child will look like before you even meet your wife.

Exactly.  A great coach could get 8-4 out of next season's team.  A bad one could get 3-9.  It all depends on the coach and his style of play.