Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike’s recruiting

Started by rolyat_2008, March 20, 2018, 02:08:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rolyat_2008

The 13 scholarship players currently expected to be on the 2018-2019 roster will have three ESPN Top 100 players.

Gafford (#47 Natl in 2017), Garland (#58 Natl in 2017) and Henderson (#87 Natl for 2018).

For comparison the only others under Mike: Portis (#16 in 2013), Kingsley (#43 in 2013), Beard (#90 in 2014) and Whitt (#77 in 2015).

———————————

On to 247 national composite and 247 only national rankings.

RSoph - PG Jalen Harris- 325 Natl Comp, 348 247 Natl - *** with 83 grade in both
Jr - F Adrio Bailey- 305 Natl Comp, 295 247 Natl - *** with 84 grade composite and 85 grade 247 only
Jr - SG CJ Jones- 383 Natl Comp, 340 247 Natl - *** with 83 grade composite and 84 grade 247 only

So - F/C Daniel Gafford- 39 Natl Comp, 45 247 Natl - **** with 98 grade composite and 96 grade 247 only
RFr - CG Khalil Garland- 169 Natl Comp, 181 247 Natl - *** with 89 grade composite and 89 grade 247 only
So - SF Darious Hall- 296 Natl Comp, 293 247 Natl - *** with 86 grade composite and 87 grade 247 only
So - F Gabe Osabuohien- N/A Natl Comp, 349 247 Natl - *** with 86 grade 247 only

Fr - F/C^ Ethan Henderson- 99 Natl Comp, 121 247 Natl - **** with 95 grade composite and 90 grade 247 only
Fr - CG Keyshawn Embery- 119 Natl Comp, 108 247 Natl - **** with 93 grade composite and 91 grade 247 only
Fr - F/C^ Reggie Chaney- 140 Natl Comp, 134 247 Natl - *** with 92 grade composite and 89 grade 247 only
Fr - SG Isaiah Joe- 154 Natl Comp, 170 247 Natl - *** with 92 grade composite and 89 grade 247 only
Fr - SF Jordan Phillips- 167 Natl Comp, 239 247 Natl - *** with 90 grade composite and 88 grade 247 only
Fr - G Desi Sills- 241 Natl Comp, 224 247 Natl - *** with 88 grade composite and 88 grade 247 only

^ might be required to play C if Gafford leaves

Bonus
PG Justice Hill- N/A Natl Comp, 216 247 Natl - *** with 88 grade 247 only

Past HS recruits for reference under Mike.

2012- Michael Qualls- 152 Natl Comp, 157 247 Natl - *** with 90 grade composite and 85 grade 247 only
2013- Bobby Portis- 17 Natl Comp, 25 247 Natl- ***** with 99 grade composite and 98 grade 247 only
2013- Moses Kingsley- 49 Natl Comp, 40 247 Natl - **** with 98 grade composite and 97 grade 247 only
2014- Anton Beard- 114 Natl Comp, 117 247 Natl - **** with 93 grade composite and 90 grade 247 only
2015- Jimmy Whitt- 68 Natl Comp, 70 247 Natl - **** with 97 grade composite and 95 grade 247 only

As always outliers occurs, maybe they didn't receive the correct grade in recruiting or developed after getting to school as an athlete but an interesting look nonetheless.

steveaustin69

And they'll only have one 247 top 100 at a staggering 99; this class is not appreciably better than past classes. It just has more bodies.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 07:38:16 am
And they'll only have one 247 top 100 at a staggering 99; this class is not appreciably better than past classes. It just has more bodies.
isnt bench play what hurt us? Throughout the year when we lost it was because Darious Hall and CJ Jones didn't get their 10 points, if we get consistent bench play it will help
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

steveaustin69

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 20, 2018, 08:10:35 am
isnt bench play what hurt us? Throughout the year when we lost it was because Darious Hall and CJ Jones didn't get their 10 points, if we get consistent bench play it will help

Who's gonna lead the starting five? Even if Gafford is back these guys are all thrust into big roles. You slow?

The class is not appreciably better than years past. How is this a counter to that statement?

The_Iceman

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 07:38:16 am

Here is a breakdown of the incoming players.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=659034.0

4 of the 6 recruits are 4-stars.

steveaustin69

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2018, 08:24:28 am
Here is a breakdown of the incoming players.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=659034.0

4 of the 6 recruits are 4-stars.

And here's another service. 1 of the 6 are 4-stars. This class is not appreciably better than past classes.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 08:30:04 am
And here's another service. 1 of the 6 are 4-stars. This class is not appreciably better than past classes.

looks like 2 to me

HogFaninMemphis

Iceman & steveaustin69, what you two are showing is that this class can either serve as proof MA can recruit or that he can't recruit, based on your recruiting services. I know we hate to do this, but I suspect it will just be a wait and see situation.
Positive of having more bodies is you have a higher chance that at least one of them overperforms; of course the negative is that because you have so many bodies, odds are high that at least one underperforms his ranking. I think a big key for MA will be plugging holes in 2019 recruiting by figuring out which of these players are strengths and which are liabilities. I think we all agree that Chaney and Henderson are going to have to overperform, or we're going to be in trouble next year. We're going to be weak at PG and the 4/5, which is scary.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

steveaustin69

The_Iceman

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 08:30:04 am

1) hard to take you seriously when you can't count

2) ESPN is the best site for basketball recruiting.

Pinto

The class will be a great foundation class if none of them transfer or leave too early. I've watched them all play a handful of times and they are a lot more talented than some of the previous guys we've signed that were rated higher and underachieved for us

steveaustin69

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2018, 08:41:13 am
1) hard to take you seriously when you can't count

2) ESPN is the best site for basketball recruiting.

Made a mistake. Happens. Says who? You?

azhog10

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 20, 2018, 08:38:17 am
looks like 2 to me
Shhhhh, facts don't speak to him. Just let him go on and at some point he will stop.

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2018, 09:07:53 am
Shhhhh, facts don't speak to him. Just let him go on and at some point he will stop.

Fact: Mike is a so-so recruiter.

Still trying to argue Arkansas is a fundamentally sound team?

GuvHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 09:10:22 am
Fact: Mike is a so-so recruiter.

Still trying to argue Arkansas is a fundamentally sound team?

The biggest problem with Mike's recruiting is the fact that he had 6 scholarships available this year and maybe 7. That should NEVER happen. The last time that happened, the next season was a total disaster.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

pigroots

Honestly great recruiters are those who can recruit across borders. For the most part these guys are homegrown and you would expect if we are a pretty good program that we would get these guys. I'm glad we have them but for the most part it's the top 25 to top 50 guys that are the difference makers in a program. These guys we have should be great 2nd and 3rd options. History shows it's guys like Corliss,Joe Johnson, Derek Hood, and the like that carried the load and opened up the game for others. We need Gafford to stay next year in the worst kind of way.( And really think it would help him develop and get stronger to do so)...next year he's a high lottery pick most likely while this year I'm guessing late first round.

labb

Looks to me that three are home grown and three are out of state. Not getting the Perry kid hurt.

steveaustin69

Quote from: pigroots on March 20, 2018, 09:24:15 am
Honestly great recruiters are those who can recruit across borders. For the most part these guys are homegrown and you would expect if we are a pretty good program that we would get these guys. I'm glad we have them but for the most part it's the top 25 to top 50 guys that are the difference makers in a program. These guys we have should be great 2nd and 3rd options. History shows it's guys like Corliss,Joe Johnson, Derek Hood, and the like that carried the load and opened up the game for others. We need Gafford to stay next year in the worst kind of way.( And really think it would help him develop and get stronger to do so)...next year he's a high lottery pick most likely while this year I'm guessing late first round.

I agree. Build a fence around the state and get a top 75 player or two out of state every year (scholarships permitting) and success will follow in spite of Mike's horrid defense. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

hogsanity

Quote from: pigroots on March 20, 2018, 09:24:15 am
Honestly great recruiters are those who can recruit across borders. For the most part these guys are homegrown

Was just about to post the same thing. What this class shows is that Mike gets good classes when the in state talent is good. Take a guy like Gafford, does anyone think Mike gets Gafford if he was playing Hs ball in Illinois, or Georgia or any state other than Arkansas?

Now, this is not totally on Mike since most years both Arkansas football and basketball depend on having above average in state talent on the team  The one thing I do wonder, and I do not follow recruiting very closely, who else was on these guys in the incoming class? None of them seem to have the hype around them that Monk, Allen or Goodwin had as far as other national powers being after them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BentonvilleJeff

I remember the time we lost in the big dance when Big O, Mayberry, and Day were seniors.  It was like someone had died. The incoming class was good but nobody knew how they would do. Corliss came in hurt and was going to miss an early game against Memphis St. I went to Barnhill thinking Penny was going to whip our tails. We ended up playing them out of the gym with all our new guys. Some dude named Scotty Thurman that nobody wanted was draining 30 footers.

Moral of the story. Let's wait and see with the eyeball test next season against D1 competition what we have.

labb

As to building the fence...Looks that we signed the top players in the state this season...Joe was Gatorade player of the year and Henderson was rated by some as the top player in the state. Arkansas does not produce many 5* players.

steveaustin69

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on March 20, 2018, 09:52:35 am
I remember the time we lost in the big dance when Big O, Mayberry, and Day were seniors.  It was like someone had died. The incoming class was good but nobody knew how they would do. Corliss came in hurt and was going to miss an early game against Memphis St. I went to Barnhill thinking Penny was going to whip our tails. We ended up playing them out of the gym with all our new guys. Some dude named Scotty Thurman that nobody wanted was draining 30 footers.

Moral of the story. Let's wait and see with the eyeball test next season against D1 competition what we have.

Should we wait and see in perpetuity? What in the last 7 years instills confidence we can expect significant positive change? Nolan had already been to a Final Four and Elite Eight when that happened. Not apples to apples in the slightest.

The real Hogules

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 10:02:18 am
Should we wait and see in perpetuity? What in the last 7 years instills confidence we can expect significant positive change? Nolan had already been to a Final Four and Elite Eight when that happened. Not apples to apples in the slightest.

Dude, we get it, you think not only can Anderson NOT coach defense (and I'm questioning this one as well), he can't recruit top players from outside our states borders, gotcha!
I will admit that Mike (assuming that he wants to stay here) needs to dump some dead assistant coaching weight and get a top notch recruiter and someone to work with our team on defense, but continually pounding the same dead horse doesn't really accomplish much and it gets quite annoying after several posts, with the same info.............
Come up for air and let it go!!!!!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogsanity

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 20, 2018, 10:51:00 am
but continually pounding the same dead horse doesn't really accomplish much and it gets quite annoying after several posts, with the same info.............

That's pretty much message boards, especially this time of year. Hogs basketball is over, spring football has been kind of blah, and sadly not enough people follow baseball to know that they may have the best collection of talent ever assembled in Fayetteville in a given sport.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 20, 2018, 10:51:00 am
Dude, we get it, you think not only can Anderson NOT coach defense (and I'm questioning this one as well), he can't recruit top players from outside our states borders, gotcha!
I will admit that Mike (assuming that he wants to stay here) needs to dump some dead assistant coaching weight and get a top notch recruiter and someone to work with our team on defense, but continually pounding the same dead horse doesn't really accomplish much and it gets quite annoying after several posts, with the same info.............

If you don't like my posts you can tell a mod; I don't care that you're annoyed.

311Hog

To me there are 3 major issues right now.

1. Perry leaving left a big hole in what would have been probably Mike's best class
2. Gafford's "growth" may put him in 1 and done status
3. Garland's health condition uncertainty

I do not want to seem like a "mike defender" but the above 3 things are massive issues, and for the most part nothing Mike could have done about any of them.  No one expected Perry to change the way he did not even his own team mates.  Gafford getting better is a good thing not a bad thing.  And Garland you just hope he can play again safely.

Next years team will be young, but if Garland can play and Gafford returns they will be good. They will compete and "be in the hunt" will they win it ? who knows but they will for sure have a shot IMO.

rolyat_2008

Mike must adjust because this isn't the SEC when he was hired with UK-FL and then Arkansas fighting around third. The league has improved it's coaching and recruiting.

zenchow

Quote from: GuvHog on March 20, 2018, 09:22:52 am
The biggest problem with Mike's recruiting is the fact that he had 6 scholarships available this year and maybe 7. That should NEVER happen. The last time that happened, the next season was a total disaster.
the last time we added 7 new players to the roster we went to the second round of the NCAA

steveaustin69

Quote from: zenchow on March 20, 2018, 02:16:36 pm
the last time we added 7 new players to the roster we went to the second round of the NCAA

3 Jucos, a transfer, and three freshmen that averaged a combined 15 minutes a game while returning 61% of your previous year's scoring. Very different situations.

hogsanity

Quote from: zenchow on March 20, 2018, 02:16:36 pm

What happened the last time they added 6 FR and a transfer? The team you mention added two of the top JUCO guards in the country, and also returned Hannahs and the pre season SECPOTY in Kingsley.

zenchow

nwahogfan1

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 20, 2018, 08:10:35 am

Consistent bench points are great but right now I bet Mike doesn't know who will start next year or where any of his points will come from.  I think we will be deeper but inexperienced.

nwahogfan1

Three guys you mentioned were top 100.  Gafford and Garland may not be here and Henderson needs time at 6'8 185 lbs.   So we better hope the rest are better than they were rated.

HotlantaHog

Arkansas 2018 recruiting rankings:

Rivals -- 16th
247 -- 26th
ESPN -- 22nd

That doesn't seem bad to me.  Lots of things to complain about, but not really on board with this one.

hogsanity

Quote from: zenchow on March 20, 2018, 02:37:59 pm
still facts are facts

Fine, that just underscores how bad next year could be, unless you think the incoming group will be better, AS FR, than Barford/Macon/Hannahs/Kingsley

steveaustin69

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 20, 2018, 02:48:51 pm
Arkansas 2018 recruiting rankings:

Rivals -- 16th
247 -- 26th
ESPN -- 22nd

That doesn't seem bad to me.  Lots of things to complain about, but not really on board with this one.

SEC Rank

Rivals --5th
247--6th
ESPN--5th

While the two co-regular season champs return nearly everything.

We are treading water.

zenchow

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 02:50:38 pm
Fine, that just underscores how bad next year could be, unless you think the incoming group will be better, AS FR, than Barford/Macon/Hannahs/Kingsley
This is only my opinion....I think every player coming in when compared to the senior that they logically replace...is a better overall player.
Sills replaces Beard....Better defender, better shot, taller and better leader potentially
Joe replaces Macon...better defender, potentially better leader, his shot may even be better
Embry replaces Barford...probably even trade on offense but better on defense and with better handles
Channey replaces Thomas...should be obviously better in every aspect of the game
Henderson replaces Thompson...much better athlete in every way
Phillips replaces Cook...once again much better in every way
as to how fast they can develope...who knows.
but over the long term these players are an easy upgrade.
We'll see what happens

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 02:50:38 pm

Quote from: zenchow on March 20, 2018, 03:02:58 pm
This is only my opinion....I think every player coming in when compared to the senior that they logically replace...is a better overall player.
Sills replaces Beard....Better defender, better shot, taller and better leader potentially
Joe replaces Macon...better defender, potentially better leader, his shot may even be better
Embry replaces Barford...probably even trade on offence but better on defense and with better handles
Channey replaces Thomas...should be obviously better in every aspect of the game
but over the long term these plays are an easy upgrade.
We'll see what happens
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FineAsSwine

Embry replaces Barford...probably even trade on offense but better on defense and with better handles
We'll see what happens

I would agree almost 100% with this. Upgrades all around.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

We'll see what happens

My question was about NEXT SEASON. Do you think AS FR, these guys are going to be better than Macon & Barford were as jr's AND Hannahs and Kingsley were as sr's, because that is the two similar roster situations we are talking about.

labb

Some if's: If Gafford comes back, If Jones, Hall, Bailey and Gabe make huge jumps in improvement, if the PG transfer is pretty good, We have a chance to be a decent team...Then IF the incoming Freshmen push these for minutes then we have a chance to a decent team...If Gafford does not come back then Henderson is going to have to surprise us....If you are betting on the incoming Freshmen to carry us, then we are in a heap of dodo. JMO

FineAsSwine

Quote from: labb on March 20, 2018, 03:50:41 pm
Some if's: If Gafford comes back, If Jones, Hall, Bailey and Gabe make huge jumps in improvement, if the PG transfer is pretty good, We have a chance to be a decent team...Then IF the incoming Freshmen push these for minutes then we have a chance to a decent team...If Gafford does not come back then Henderson is going to have to surprise us....If you are betting on the incoming Freshmen to carry us, then we are in a heap of dodo. JMO

Every upcoming season and any future event for that matter is filled with if's. If the rapture happens before November, none of this will matter to me.
Hogs up! Covid down!

zenchow

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 03:39:22 pm
My question was about NEXT SEASON. Do you think AS FR, these guys are going to be better than Macon & Barford were as jr's AND Hannahs and Kingsley were as sr's, because that is the two similar roster situations we are talking about.
I think next year Joe and Embry will be similar to Macon and Barford Jr. year...but better defenders
Chaney will not be quite Kingsley as a senior level...but he will have more inside help around him.
The development of Hall and Phillips at the 3 spot will have the scoring power that Hannahs gave us...maybe...who really knows
Hard to predict how fast young players develop but these days it seems like 4 star and up type recruits usually are ready for D1 pretty quick but you can never tell this far ahead of time
This is all just one fans opinion and doesn't really mean much

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 20, 2018, 03:52:48 pm
Every upcoming season and any future event for that matter is filled with if's. If the rapture happens before November, none of this will matter to me.
😂😂😂

nwahogfan1

We'll see what happens

You have every incoming player better than those leaving so you predicting 25+ wins and NCAAT invite?

golfinpig

Being a 67 yrear old hog fan I hope the new guys can come in and play winning basketball. However, judging by MA's history of evaluating talent, I find it hard to be optimistic. This is the same coach that gave us the likes of Dee Wagner, Adio Bailey, Orlando Cook etc.

zenchow

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 07:48:17 pm
You have every incoming player better than those leaving so you predicting 25+ wins and NCAAT invite?
Better players alone will not necessarily mean a better season....still need to consider chemistry and schedule and how good are the opponents, how fast can they develop and staying healthy....it's difficult to even predict a game in college basketball much less a season. If I could do either, then my bank account would be better than it is.
I don't think it will be a bad team, but it's up the team and coaches to actually reach that potential. We will know more in 9 months. I really don't have enough ego to think I can predict the future...I am only an interested and well researched long time fan.

HOGINTENNESSEE

This is a good class. The kind of class you build on as it has all SEC caliber talent but lacks in NBA talent.

Recruiting has been Mike's weakness. But this class was well put together even after Perry left to get paid by Adidias

rude1

Just shows what I already know and have been saying "the class ain't that good". If you sign 6 players and yet your class comes in 22nd in the nation and 6th in your conference, it ain't that good. That's damn near a half of a roster of players and yet it is not that highly ranked as a class.

Wardhog85

This is a class that keeps us middle of the pack. No program changers in this class. Check out the offer lists. We did not beat any of the blue bloods for the players that are coming. The class that LSU has coming in changes a program, not the one that we have coming.