Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hypothetical...assume Anderson is here another 7 seasons

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 19, 2018, 11:04:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

for a total of 14. 3 more than Sutton but 3 less than Nolan.

If in 14 years the Hogs under Anderson have been to the NCAAT 6 times and have 4 wins and 6 losses in the NCAAT, never making it past the 2nd round of 32 but never having an overall losing season, and never finishing higher than 3rd in SEC, would you look back and think that Arkansas should have had him as its head coach for 14 seasons?

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

OkieBack

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 19, 2018, 11:04:12 am

If in 14 years the Hogs under Anderson have been to the NCAAT 6 times and have 4 wins and 6 losses in the NCAAT, never making it past the 2nd round of 32 but never having an overall losing season, and never finishing higher than 3rd in SEC, would you look back and think that Arkansas should have had him as its head coach for 14 seasons?

Nice hypothetical.  But the 7 will never materialize if CMA fails to reach the Sweet 16 in 3.  And I'm not saying CMA has 3 years either.  The Butler loss has turned up the heat severely on this coach and team.  If CMA retains his players AND he mixes it with the new talent coming in...who knows.  Everyone may look back to 2018 and say "that is the year Mike made the necessary changes and put this team over the hump."  Or by 2020 Mike may be watching the NCAA tournament from the confines of his couch at his retirement ranch house. 

hogsanity

You and I both know, based on their posts, that there is a group that would be happy with Mike as coach for 25 years even if he had never made the ncaat one time. So yes, they would happily say Mike should have been the coach for 14 years.

I did not want him 7 years ago for the very reasons you are asking this question now. If this was any other coach, record being the same, he would have been gone after 16-16 in yr 5, and, if by some miracle he survived that, he would have likely been dismissed over this last weekend after laying another egg in another game that could have advanced the program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Quote from: OkieBack on March 19, 2018, 11:12:06 am
Nice hypothetical.  But the 7 will never materialize if CMA fails to reach the Sweet 16 in 3.  And I'm not saying CMA has 3 years either.  The Butler loss has turned up the heat severely on this coach and team.  If CMA retains his players AND he mixes it with the new talent coming in...who knows.  Everyone may look back to 2018 and say "that is the year Mike made the necessary changes and put this team over the hump."  Or by 2020 Mike may be watching the NCAA tournament from the confines of his couch at his retirement ranch house. 

The talent coming in isn't good enough to make enough of an impact that would get us to the tournament next season imo. I could be wrong and I hope I am but I don't see it. Not to mention we will get worse in several areas, rebounding is one.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 11:18:00 am
Not to mention we will get worse in several areas, rebounding is one.

Is that really possible?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

East TN HAWG

Its hard to imagine or predict how we will judge success.  The effect of the NBA, FBI and changing demographics will change what our opinion of success is equally as much as wins and losses. 

I think sports in general has seen its day, and millennials will not watch in the numbers as their predecessors.  So in 7 years who knows what will happen.

DeltaBoy

Recruiting been a bit inconsistent, and we had some talent who could not follow the rules.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HF#1

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 11:17:34 am
You and I both know, based on their posts, that there is a group that would be happy with Mike as coach for 25 years even if he had never made the ncaat one time. So yes, they would happily say Mike should have been the coach for 14 years.

I did not want him 7 years ago for the very reasons you are asking this question now. If this was any other coach, record being the same, he would have been gone after 16-16 in yr 5, and, if by some miracle he survived that, he would have likely been dismissed over this last weekend after laying another egg in another game that could have advanced the program.

The ONLY reason Mike Anderson kept his job after the 15-15 debacle is because he and Jeff Long were big buddies. Thankfully Jeff Long isn't at the U of A any more.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: OkieBack on March 19, 2018, 11:12:06 am

Of all the new talent that has arrived during Mike's tenure, there have only been a select handful who have developed and progressed throughout their careers at Arkansas. Sure, he's landed a couple of highly-recruited kids, but amount of in-state kids who he has missed is concerning to say the least. I see no indication that any Anderson-coached team can exceed beyond what they have accomplished in the past 7 seasons. Also, it's difficult to win when you have no offensive game plan and fail to make in-game adjustments.

HognotinMemphis

The talent coming in isn't good enough to make enough of an impact that would get us to the tournament next season imo. I could be wrong and I hope I am but I don't see it. Not to mention we will get worse in several areas, rebounding is one.
Based on my limited ability to see bball talent (I am neither a coach nor former player), the incoming class does not have anyone that is going to make a meaningful difference next season AND the returning players are role players at best. None of them are going to be dominating the court on either end. Not trying to paint a bad picture, just a realistic one. Hogs were 10-8 this year in a very competitive SEC. Next year, the Hogs will do well to reverse those numbers. 8-10 will be great. My guess is probably 7-11 or 6-12. If year 8 of the Anderson regime is 7-11 in SEC play and a .500 season overall, I wonder if Anderson can convince the powers that be that the next couple of years after that will be "turn the corner" seasons. If not, he's probably out after next season.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogcards on March 19, 2018, 11:37:27 am
He may not be here in 7 days.
This is VERY possible. Most here, like 98%, think this is ridiculous to even consider. It is not ridiculous. I know nothing about it and have no idea if any of the powers that be are giving it any thought but it can happen. I would not be shocked in the least.

hogsanity

GlassofSwine

Nope, wouldn't be happy, but who are you going to hire? Another up and comer like Heath and Pelphrey?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 11:47:02 am
Nope, wouldn't be happy, but who are you going to hire? Another up and comer like Heath and Pelphrey?

Why will those level of coaches be our choices?  Mike going to sue us?  Does he have the program so [CENSORED] up behind the scenes we will have to go to the Pelphrey level? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 11:47:02 am
Why is that the default next question EVERY SINGLE TIME Arkansas is on the cusp of firing any head coach, football or basketball? You can't have it both ways. Many of you say we are a top 20 program but then say who are we going to get? If we are a historically top 20 program, should be no issue to hire a good coach. That is going to depend on the talent of the person or group doing the hiring, which has been the biggest problem in the past.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 11:49:46 am
Why will those level of coaches be our choices?  Mike going to sue us?  Does he have the program so [CENSORED] up behind the scenes we will have to go to the Pelphrey level?

Well, for one that was what we were able to get before MA.MA only came here because of his history. Name some names who will readily take our job?

hawgball40

Expect a gafford like impact from henderson. he plays WELL above the rim.... excellent rebounder and finisher. Joe has a pure shot. Phillips is a big wing. embery is pretty good. the big power forward is sort of a 6'7 bruiser type. nothing wows you, he just does alot of small things well. fundamentally sound player.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 11:51:24 am
Well, for one that was what we were able to get before MA.MA only came here because of his history. Name some names who will readily take our job?

Nope.  Heath was who we chose to hire due to the lawsuit.  Pelphrey was a result of Altman's discovery of what Heath was leaving and being told he couldn't bring his own support staff.  Unique hiring circumstances.  Are we going to be in either position when Mike leaves? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 19, 2018, 11:54:18 am
Expect a gafford like impact from henderson. he plays WELL above the rim....
He did in high school. College and the SEC will be different game. Every team that is any good has at least 2 players who play well above the rim. And 8 of 14 teams in SEC made the NCAAT.

root_hawg

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 19, 2018, 11:49:57 am
Why is that the default next question EVERY SINGLE TIME Arkansas is on the cusp of firing any head coach, football or basketball? You can't have it both ways. Many of you say we are a top 20 program but then say who are we going to get? If we are a historically top 20 program, should be no issue to hire a good coach. That is going to depend on the talent of the person or group doing the hiring, which has been the biggest problem in the past.

We haven't been a Top 40 program in over 20 years. I don't want it both ways, what I want is for the people who want to fire MA today to show me the coaches they have lined up who will take this job and can guarantee more success. There's probably 10-15 coaches in the nation who you could hire and guarantee could further improve the program. The rest are a crap-shoot, and I would rather have MA and his stability than set the program back even further. I mean here's a fact since MA became coach only Kentucky and Florida have won more games in the SEC, this despite his terrible recruiting record and apparently terrible coaching.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 11:56:52 am
I mean here's a fact since MA became coach only Kentucky and Florida have won more games in the SEC, this despite his terrible recruiting record and apparently terrible coaching.
How many NCAAT wins do KY and Fla have in the last 7 years? I know how many Arkansas has had: 2. This stat you list is disingenuous. Over past 7 years, KY and FLA were in another league from rest of the SEC. They were level 1 programs, and every other program was a level 3 or 4 program, AT BEST. No other SEC team was even close to them.

Further, Arkansas may have more wins in the SEC than any other program but KY and FLA, but I bet the # of wins Arkansas has in SEC over past 7 seasons is no more than 2 or 3 wins ahead of the next program. My guess is Arkansas is bunched in with several other programs and all well below FLA and KY.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 11:56:52 am
We haven't been a Top 40 program in over 20 years. I don't want it both ways, what I want is for the people who want to fire MA today to show me the coaches they have lined up who will take this job and can guarantee more success. There's probably 10-15 coaches in the nation who you could hire and guarantee could further improve the program. The rest are a crap-shoot, and I would rather have MA and his stability than set the program back even further. I mean here's a fact since MA became coach only Kentucky and Florida have won more games in the SEC, this despite his terrible recruiting record and apparently terrible coaching.

Unbalanced schedules play a role.

So MA doesn't even has us in the top 40 and you are worried about change? 

So 10-15 better than Mike who would be willing to consider taking our job or just 10-15 better coaches?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 11:55:01 am
Nope.  Heath was who we chose to hire due to the lawsuit.  Pelphrey was a result of Altman's discovery of what Heath was leaving and being told he couldn't bring his own support staff.  Unique hiring circumstances.  Are we going to be in either position when Mike leaves?

Stupid, the lawsuit did not limit the coaching pool. Heath was a heralded up and comer, by the time Heath was gone and Altman walked, Pelphrey was the the type of candidate we could get. So yeah that is how far the program fell. That was the pool of coaches who would consider Arkansas. Now answer the question, who will consider us today? Arkansas hasn't been relevant in over 20 years.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:01:19 pm
Stupid, the lawsuit did not limit the coaching pool. Heath was a heralded up and comer, by the time Heath was gone and Altman walked, Pelphrey was the the type of candidate we could get. So yeah that is how far the program fell. That was the pool of coaches who would consider Arkansas. Now answer the question, who will consider us today? Arkansas hasn't been relevant in over 20 years.

We chose to limit the pool to Heath due to the lawsuit.  Heath would not have been a candidate without it.

Yes after Altman's departure and what was exposed, Pelphrey is who we could get.  You answer the question:  is Mike setting up a similar situation?  If he is, then he does need to be fired now(I don't think he is).

I've stated before:  I do not play the coaching candidate suggestion game and give out targets for attack.  College basketball has many good coaches who would consider taking one of the top 2-4 jobs in the SEC. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:01:01 pm
Unbalanced schedules play a role.

So MA doesn't even has us in the top 40 and you are worried about change? 

So 10-15 better than Mike who would be willing to consider taking our job or just 10-15 better coaches?

10 -15 who you could hire and guarantee would have more success. There a bunch of coaches who are considered better but wouldn't guarantee success here. Take a guy like Bielema, considered a coup of a hire by almost everyone in the media, after a few years considered one of the worst coaches in Arkansas history.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:05:19 pm
10 -15 who you could hire and guarantee would have more success. There a bunch of coaches who are considered better but wouldn't guarantee success here. Take a guy like Bielema, considered a coup of a hire by almost everyone in the media, after a few years considered one of the worst coaches in Arkansas history.

So you are putting Mike Anderson in as one of the top 11-16 coaches in college basketball. 

HF#1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:01:19 pm

I think you sell the program and its resources a tad short. The only thing we do not have is results on a national scale. We have come back from the doldrums of John Pelphrey. If Mike has done anything, he has stabilized the program for the next guy. I think most are just arguing he isn't going to take us much further due to his style and coaching ability.

I think a decent coach can come in here and win early and often. There are good/great coaches out there.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:06:44 pm
So you are putting Mike Anderson in as one of the top 11-16 coaches in college basketball.

Truly laughable

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:05:19 pm

Any coaching change is a risk, but no coach was great his 1st day, gotta take a risk to find the next great coach. Sure, the hire may not work out, but you don't know if you don't try. Just like JFB took a risk on Eddie and Nolan, HY needs to take a risk on the guy he thinks is the next one like them.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:05:00 pm
We chose to limit the pool to Heath due to the lawsuit.  Heath would not have been a candidate without it.

Yes after Altman's departure and what was exposed, Pelphrey is who we could get.  You answer the question:  is Mike setting up a similar situation?  If he is, then he does need to be fired now(I don't think he is).

I've stated before:  I do not play the coaching candidate suggestion game and give out targets for attack.  College basketball has many good coaches who would consider taking one of the top 2-4 jobs in the SEC.

Heath to Kent State to an Elite 8 and was considered one of the best up and coming coaches in the country when we hired him. An assistant under Izzo who had just had a great year. Every year there are guys like that who people claim to be the next great hire and then the flame out, just like Heath.

Boardon Hamsay

Nope. I wouldn't have kept him this long. That's nothing personal against MA at all. I think he's a good guy but a plateau coach. I simply look at things from an investment point of view.  I'm a growth oriented investor. I assume higher risk for higher returns potential. MA in 7 seasons has not delivered the growth I seek as an investor, so to speak.

In truth, I never invested in him because I felt Arkansas basketball under MA was similar to investing in Kodak, Sears, or Toys R Us.  Investing based on hope to replicate the past is typically a losing proposition. In fairness, perhaps those company comparisons, especially Toys R Us given the recent news, is a little strong.  Said differently, Arkansas basketball as a stock is simply not a growth stock.  For some, it's a bond equivalent, small position stock that you may have in the portfolio because it's got a 3% yield but you don't really expect a whole lot from it otherwise.

For others like me, Arkansas basketball may a stock to trade off the technicals until there's a fundamental reason to go long on it.  Perhaps that's the stock market equivalent of apathy but it's just where I am with Arkansas basketball stock. I'm a growth seeking investor so I'd need a CEO change and a new strategic direction to warrant going long in Arkansas basketball stock. Others that are more conservative in nature may like Arkansas stock here because it's not going to hurt you too bad on the down days and the dividend provides some safety.

Just my spin on things as each investor has their own goals, so to speak...
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HF#1

Don't forget, Mike has a new boss. He has no emotional or nostalgic ties to Mike. All he can do is evaluate the past 7 years and the current trajectory of the program. Who knows what he will do. The program he just left was a buzzer beater away from the Sweet 16 and dominated Arkansas earlier in the season which was his first impression of Mike.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:06:44 pm

Nope I'm not, in fact I stated the opposite. Your reading comprehension is worse than Mike's coaching. Read my second sentence again "bunch of coaches considered better".

GuvHog

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:11:58 pm
Heath to Kent State to an Elite 8 and was considered one of the best up and coming coaches in the country when we hired him. An assistant under Izzo who had just had a great year. Every year there are guys like that who people claim to be the next great hire and then the flame out, just like Heath.

Stan Heath was hired for one reason and one reason only.  If you can't figure that one reason out then you are beyond needing help
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 12:11:44 pm
Any coaching change is a risk, but no coach was great his 1st day, gotta take a risk to find the next great coach. Sure, the hire may not work out, but you don't know if you don't try. Just like JFB took a risk on Eddie and Nolan, HY needs to take a risk on the guy he thinks is the next one like them.

No you don't. we have had the 3rd best program in the SEC under MA. If I'm hiring an employee I don't fire them to replace them with someone who might do a better job. I only fire them when I know I can replace them with someone who can do a better job. You fire MA and end up with an up and comer who flames out like Heath and see where this program is then.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:12:18 pm
Don't forget, Mike has a new boss. He has no emotional or nostalgic ties to Mike. All he can do is evaluate the past 7 years and the current trajectory of the program. Who knows what he will do. The program he just left was a buzzer beater away from the Sweet 16 and dominated Arkansas earlier in the season which was his first impression of Mike.

Assuming Yurachek has enough power to make a decision like this.  He was a yes man at Houston.  Given what happened in the Fall with the apparent retaking of the athletic department, I don't have trust HY would.  It's going to take more than our new AD. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 12:14:50 pm
Stan Heath was hired for one reason and one reason only.  If you can't figure that one reason out then you are beyond needing help

Was he the only black coach available? Might as well well come out and say it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:16:50 pm
No you don't. we have had the 3rd best program in the SEC under MA. If I'm hiring an employee I don't fire them to replace them with someone who might do a better job. I only fire them when I know I can replace them with someone who can do a better job. You fire MA and end up with an up and comer who flames out like Heath and see where this program is then.

3rd best in the SEC but not top 40 in college basketball?  It has been a crap conference. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:17:50 pm
Was he the only black coach available? minus well come out and say it.

I don't see anyone hiding from it.

Obviously not the only. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:18:09 pm
3rd best in the SEC but not top 40 in college basketball?  It has been a crap conference.

Yep it has been, but it isn't anymore and MA has still kept Arkansas near the top of the conference.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:16:50 pm

Settling for mediocrity because a change MIGHT make things worse is something.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 19, 2018, 11:54:18 am
Expect a gafford like impact from henderson. he plays WELL above the rim.... excellent rebounder and finisher. Joe has a pure shot. Phillips is a big wing. embery is pretty good. the big power forward is sort of a 6'7 bruiser type. nothing wows you, he just does alot of small things well. fundamentally sound player.
Henderson will not be close to what Gafford was this year!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:18:44 pm
I don't see anyone hiding from it.

Obviously not the only.

Here's the thing, he was considered a good coaching candidate, it wasn't like Arkansas went out and found the first black person they saw and hired him. Which is exactly how you guys are acting when you dismiss his resume entirely because of his skin color. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:19:58 pm
Yep it has been, but it isn't anymore and MA has still kept Arkansas near the top of the conference.

Mike's Conference Finishes: 8, 7, 5, 2, T8, 3, T4

Zero Tourney Championships

In what many would argue was a pretty poor SEC aside from this year.

What an astounding track record of monumental success

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:24:51 pm
Here's the thing, he was considered a good coaching candidate, it wasn't like Arkansas went out and found the first black person they saw and hired him. Which is exactly how you guys are acting when you dismiss his resume entirely because of his skin color.

Not dismissing it.  His resume wouldn't have put him high on the list without the unique circumstances. 

WV probably would have hired him and who knows where they would have gone and where Michigan would be right now.  They both made a great hire. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:19:58 pm

Kept?  We tied for 4th and ended up as the 6th seed in the SECT.  Wasn't a contender to win the conference after just a few weeks.