Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr. SEC: "Is Bielema a Fish out of Water?"

Started by WilsonHog, November 11, 2013, 06:43:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wants2Win

Quote from: hawgsalot on November 15, 2013, 01:34:34 pm
9-5 in 2010 finished unranked so let's not be coy, we were favored in both years.  I'm not saying they weren't good teams but we were suppose to win.  The east was horrible in 2010 and 2011.

I guess you guys are trying to say we had good defenses in Petrino's 4 years.  Well the college football world absolutely disagrees with you.  It's a weak argument.  Fact is Petrino puts more emphasis on offense, it works against everyone but the power teams like i said.
21-5...2-1 in bowl games. Good enough for me.

wildturkey8

There is a lot to be said for beating the teams you are supposed too.  It is called consistency.  If you beat LSU when they are #1, you don't get maximum benefit from that when you have already lost 4 games.

Wants2Win

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 15, 2013, 02:23:42 pm
T minus three minutes before you get.."Bama was on probation, and the SEC was down during those years, and BP had to win with the scraps Nutt left, etc., etc." 

Meanwhile, they'll gladly use 21-5 as a whipping post when it's convenient to highlight the "good years."  No need to look at the overall record, or to even consider that maybe there was a drop off looming starting in 2012. 

The biggest victory in the recent history of our program was in 2007 to knock LSU from the NC race when they were number 1, only for them to still get lotto winner lucky and still get to play for and win it.  I know no one wants to concede that it happened under Nutt, but it did. 

And for the detractors of CBB, I still submit that if HDN could have 10 win seasons here, then what makes it so unreasonable to think that CBB can't do it too?  Think about that for a second....
That game meant nothing to LSU. Didn't at the time it was played and didn't effect their season. I much rather go into games favored and having something to play for rather than playing spoiler year after year.

wildturkey8

I will say that 07 LSU game was amazing.  We were literally overpowering them on offense in that game.  We were beating them up in the trenches.  That team should have won the west that year.

LR54

Quote from: Redhogs on November 15, 2013, 02:34:17 pm
Yea you're right...how stupid we didn't give Nutt another 10 years to lead us to the promised land...gotta love it. But never fear...CBB may be your new Nutt.

Because an SEC leading rushing offense combined with equal yardage passing and a competent defense would just be terrible in the SEC?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2013, 02:53:07 pm
That game meant nothing to LSU. Didn't at the time it was played and didn't effect their season. I much rather go into games favored and having something to play for rather than playing spoiler year after year.

Meant nothing??  They had no idea that they could lose that game and still play for the NC.  It meant everything at the time... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Wants2Win

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 15, 2013, 02:23:42 pm
T minus three minutes before you get.."Bama was on probation, and the SEC was down during those years, and BP had to win with the scraps Nutt left, etc., etc." 

Meanwhile, they'll gladly use 21-5 as a whipping post when it's convenient to highlight the "good years."  No need to look at the overall record, or to even consider that maybe there was a drop off looming starting in 2012. 

The biggest victory in the recent history of our program was in 2007 to knock LSU from the NC race when they were number 1, only for them to still get lotto winner lucky and still get to play for and win it.  I know no one wants to concede that it happened under Nutt, but it did. 

And for the detractors of CBB, I still submit that if HDN could have 10 win seasons here, then what makes it so unreasonable to think that CBB can't do it too?  Think about that for a second....
I would argue the KSU cotton bowl was the biggest victory.

Wants2Win

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 15, 2013, 02:56:12 pm
Meant nothing??  They had no idea that they could lose that game and still play for the NC.  It meant everything at the time...
At the time lol.

Wants2Win

Quote from: LR54 on November 15, 2013, 02:55:31 pm
Because an SEC leading rushing offense combined with equal yardage passing and a competent defense would just be terrible in the SEC?
How did Nutt do in bowls?

Oliver

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2013, 02:56:41 pm

Eh.  It was a win against a good team in The Cotton Bowl.  We had done that before.  The LSU game was a game for a BCS Bowl birth.  It was the first time in the BCS era that we won a game like that and didn't buckle under the pressure.

LR54

Wants2Win

Quote from: Oliver on November 15, 2013, 03:02:18 pm
Eh.  It was a win against a good team in The Cotton Bowl.  We had done that before.  The LSU game was a game for a BCS Bowl birth.  It was the first time in the BCS era that we won a game like that and didn't buckle under the pressure.
The 2007 LSU game?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2013, 02:57:49 pm
At the time lol.

What are you talking about?  How did it mean nothing?  They lost to KY, then they lost to us when they still had a crack at a possible NC.  For all intents and purposes, we had dashed what little hope they had.   

Then through a FLUKE, they still got to play for the NC with two losses when WVA and Missouri both lost when ranked well ahead of them in the BCS rankings. 

Are you saying that was not a significant win?  What win by BP was bigger?  The Cotton Bowl over Kansas State?  Really...Kansas State?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Oliver

Wants2Win

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 15, 2013, 03:07:43 pm
What are you talking about?  How did it mean nothing?  They lost to KY, then they lost to us when they still had a crack at a possible NC.  For all intents and purposes, we had dashed what little hope they had.   

Then through a FLUKE, they still got to play for the NC with two losses when WVA and Missouri both lost when ranked well ahead of them in the BCS rankings. 

Are you saying that was not a significant win?  What win by BP was bigger?  The Cotton Bowl over Kansas State?  Really...Kansas State?
You just said it yourself that game didn't effect the outcome of their season. Yes that victory over a top 10 KSU meant much more to the program than a fluke win over LSU. It was fun don't get me wrong.

Oliver

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2013, 03:06:31 pm
The 2007 LSU game?

Btw, that 2007 LSU game will probably always be one of the most painful games in Razorbacks history for me.

Wants2Win

Quote from: Oliver on November 15, 2013, 03:14:19 pm
No the LSU game Mallett's last year.
That's not the game in discussion. Loved that game. The play call before halftime. CBP philosophy on full display. Time?? We don't need time. We're trying to score.

Oliver

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2013, 03:17:04 pm
That's not the game in discussion. Loved that game. The play call before halftime. CBP philosophy on full display. Time?? We don't need time. We're trying to score.

Easily my favorite Razorback football game.  The win at Austin probably being my second favorite during the Nutt years.

Wants2Win

Quote from: Oliver on November 15, 2013, 03:19:57 pm
Easily my favorite Razorback football game.  The win at Austin probably being my second favorite during the Nutt years.
Matt jones. That one ranks up there for me as well.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2013, 02:56:41 pm

Could have been huge, momentum and such, but then. FIRED!
Let's make some waves.

hawgsalot

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2013, 02:49:39 pm
21-5...2-1 in bowl games. Good enough for me.

You see that's exactly the point, you have to have a complete team to keep that up.  We did not and are seeing evidence of that today.  CBB has been very consistent and grew the tradition Alvarez started because he had complete teams.  If he can do that here the thought of CBP will be long gone.  Pun intended.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 15, 2013, 04:01:48 pm

Don't worry, it's okay.  Jeff Long's got this.  The mastermind!

hawgsalot

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 15, 2013, 04:01:48 pm

Yeah that momentum really showed up on the recruiting trail.  That's the issue, always was going to be.  Then that bike ride would have made it a whole lot easier for competitive recruiters.  This isn't basketball where you only have to convince 4 mommas.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawgsalot on November 15, 2013, 06:03:23 pm
You see that's exactly the point, you have to have a complete team to keep that up.  We did not and are seeing evidence of that today.

You're seeing evidence of what?  That Petrino's team couldn't win without him?  How does that prove that we couldn't have won with him?

Check out Florida before Urban Meyer (Ron Zook) and after Urban Meyer (Will Muschamp).  Now check out Ohio State before Urban Meyer (Luke Fickel) and Ohio State since Meyer got there.

How can some of you people claim to know anything about college football...or sports at all, for that matter...and not understand the importance of great coaching? 

If coaching didn't matter we would hand out the crystal football for the BCS national championship the evening of National Signing Day.  "Well, they signed the top rated class so why even bother playing the games?"

hawgsalot

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 15, 2013, 06:11:46 pm
You're seeing evidence of what?  That Petrino's team couldn't win without him?  How does that prove that we couldn't have won with him?

Check out Florida before Urban Meyer (Ron Zook) and after Urban Meyer (Will Muschamp).  Now check out Ohio State before Urban Meyer (Luke Fickel) and Ohio State since Meyer got there.

How can some of you people claim to know anything about college football...or sports at all, for that matter...and not understand the importance of great coaching? 

If coaching didn't matter we would hand out the crystal football for the BCS national championship the evening of National Signing Day.  "Well, they signed the top rated class so why even bother playing the games?"

Yeah east we're dumb and said coaching doesn't matter, you're quite the pompous blank.  Look Petrino recruited these players buddy.  The QB, The receivers, the dbs, the lbs and the oline that's getting replaced by Freshman.  You would have to be an idiot to actually think he was going to win with this team much less keep up the 21-5 record you and your bashing crew love to bring up.  CBB record is better than Petrino's, he's proven he's a top tier coach.  CBP had  a wonderful run but even in his infinite wisdom of coaching offense he can't win without talent.  See WKU, see the falcons, see his first two AR teams.  Face the facts, this team needs a lot more talent at a lot of positions and being a great offensive mind doesn't change that no matter how much you want us to believe.  We see the gap in talent, freaking Ray Charles could see the gap in talent.

AcornHunter

Quote from: Hawgon on November 11, 2013, 09:12:13 pm
Bielema may yet turn out to be great.  I don't think he will, but he might.  But the fact is, he is a poor fit and was a poor choice based on the fact that he is 180 degrees from what we had and the transition was bound to be difficult.  Jeff Long made the hire simply based on what he thought would make the biggest splash and what was the highest profile candidate.  He did not evaluate it in light of which coach would be best for Arkansas.
Was Einstein a good fit in the average American's eye, or Oppenheimer?   Are you average?  Someone recognized their talent.   Withstand the bad times to win the war.

Wants2Win

Quote from: hawgsalot on November 15, 2013, 06:44:40 pm
Yeah east we're dumb and said coaching doesn't matter, you're quite the pompous blank.  Look Petrino recruited these players buddy.  The QB, The receivers, the dbs, the lbs and the oline that's getting replaced by Freshman.  You would have to be an idiot to actually think he was going to win with this team much less keep up the 21-5 record you and your bashing crew love to bring up.  CBB record is better than Petrino's, he's proven he's a top tier coach.  CBP had  a wonderful run but even in his infinite wisdom of coaching offense he can't win without talent.  See WKU, see the falcons, see his first two AR teams.  Face the facts, this team needs a lot more talent at a lot of positions and being a great offensive mind doesn't change that no matter how much you want us to believe.  We see the gap in talent, freaking Ray Charles could see the gap in talent.
Is CBB winning without talent? WKU is bowl eligible. To discount what he accomplished here is laughable.

Wants2Win

How many years does it take CBB to get 10 wins is my question....

AcornHunter

Quote from: lilredheadedlady on November 11, 2013, 09:30:22 pm
So far, I'd say the proof that is on the field hasn't been anything great.  Sad.
Dear Miss Lil'lady,

A true Arky who's been around a whet can tell you that there's more than one way to skin a cat.  Let Coach get whatever SEC critter strung up the way he wants, and then sit back and enjoy the skinnin.  May the reader be aware:  It might take longer to string up an elephant, much less the skinnin chore.

Slater

My main concern would be he has never built a program that was down into a winner. He played in college for Hayden Fry who was a builder, worked for the greatest builder of all-time in Bill Snyder and with Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin. He inherited a great program at Wisconsin and kept them on top. Fry, Snyder and Alvarez are all from the Iowa coaching tree, so this is a new (no veteran mentor for him) adventure. Hunch is, if people are patient we go bowling in 2014 and from 2015 on we play meaningful games in December and beyond.   
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawgsalot on November 15, 2013, 06:44:40 pm
Yeah east we're dumb and said coaching doesn't matter, you're quite the pompous blank.  Look Petrino recruited these players buddy.  The QB, The receivers, the dbs, the lbs and the oline that's getting replaced by Freshman. 

You say you understand all about coaching, then you immediately sail into another "John L. Smith and Bielema can't win with these players so that proves Petrino couldn't, either" tirade.  Did Ohio State suddenly become incredibly more talented when Meyer took over?

Does Kansas State only have access to winning talent when Bill Snyder is there?  Did the well dry up when he left, then come a gusher again when he came out of retirement?  Or do you suppose COACHING may have something to do with it?

It's a broken record with you people.  Look, I get it.  You want to be hopeful.  You don't want to believe that firing the man who put together...and COACHED...our best teams since joining the SEC, and replacing him with John L. Smith, was as stupid as it appears it was.  You don't want to believe that we've now been relegated to arguing with Kentucky about who is the worst team in the SEC.  Despite 11 straight conference losses, you want to pretend you're not seeing what you're seeing.  You want to pretend our AD isn't as clueless as he is about winning football.

Somehow, you take comfort in blaming the failures of the last two seasons on a man who wasn't here for either of them.  You convince yourselves that HE is the only reason for our floundering.  Got it...I read it loud and clear.

Keep believing.  I guess it's as good a plan as any at the moment.  But...try to understand why not everyone is willing to play along with your coping mechanism, your mind game.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2013, 03:14:56 pm
You just said it yourself that game didn't effect the outcome of their season. Yes that victory over a top 10 KSU meant much more to the program than a fluke win over LSU. It was fun don't get me wrong.

It doesn't matter. They were the mighty LSU, and NUMBER one, and had EVERYTHING to lose in that game.  What part of that do you NOT understand? 

If the other two teams don't lose, we knock them out of the NC, and the rivalry would have taken a few steps forward from the LSU perspective. 

Was KSU number 1 when we beat them?  No. 

You can make that argument...and it has validity.  But my opinion differs. 

Atlhogfan1

This is just Pennington getting his shots in while Bielema is down.  Cowardly column/blog or whatever it is he writes.  He has issues with Bielema from his days at Wisconsin not bowing down to the greatness of the SEC in Pennington's eyes. 

Is he fit for Arkansas?  Small town farm boy who played for a former Broyles assistant at a program that may be as similar to Arkansas' program outside of the SEC as any in college football.  His mentors are coaches who focused on fundamentals and physical teams who could run the ball and play defense.  The state of Arkansas produces major college RB's consistently and Arkansas has a history of attracting great RB's.  Not Wr's.  These are some of the reasons he could fit Arkansas which since we are in the SEC means he fits in the SEC. 

Problem is his timing in taking this job.  The concerns over he has never built a program up are valid.  He should have never taken the job.  Arkansas is a risky job that can be good for a while if a coach steps in at the right time.  Bielema took the job at a horrible time.

Petrino has been fired and isn't coming back.  If you believe the program will never reach what you believe Petrino did, why are you spending time following the program?  To vent your anger towards everyone else? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wants2Win

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 16, 2013, 01:16:43 am
It doesn't matter. They were the mighty LSU, and NUMBER one, and had EVERYTHING to lose in that game.  What part of that do you NOT understand? 

If the other two teams don't lose, we knock them out of the NC, and the rivalry would have taken a few steps forward from the LSU perspective. 

Was KSU number 1 when we beat them?  No. 

You can make that argument...and it has validity.  But my opinion differs.
If if if if... Lsu went on to win the national championship.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: AcornHunter on November 15, 2013, 07:23:30 pm
Dear Miss Lil'lady,

A true Arky who's been around a whet can tell you that there's more than one way to skin a cat.  Let Coach get whatever SEC critter strung up the way he wants, and then sit back and enjoy the skinnin.  May the reader be aware:  It might take longer to string up an elephant, much less the skinnin chore.

No clue what any of that means.
Let's make some waves.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: LR54 on November 15, 2013, 01:35:17 pm
Speaking of predecessors.

Nutt won 10 games in 2006. It took Petrino 3 years to equal that after inheriting an 8 win team from 2007.

Nutt played in 2 SEC Championship games. Petrino didn't equal that.

Nutt had an overall winning percentage of 68%. Petrino had 66.6%.

Nutt beat top 5 teams. Petrino didn't.

Nutt had an SEC winning percentage of 52.5%. Petrino had 53.1%.

That's right, Petrino was a whopping .6% better in SEC winning percentage than Nutt!

Petrino led the SEC in passing with a bad running game and bad defense.

Nutt led the SEC in rushing with a bad passing game and bad defense.

So overall, Petrino had a slightly better winning percentage in the SEC than Nutt. That's about it. That's reality, not the fantasy some have created.

CBB's Wisconsin teams featured balanced run/pass yardage offenses with good to very good defenses. That's something Arkansas hasn't done in the last 15 years.

Maybe we should give it a minute or two to see how it works. Because we've seen what didn't work for a lot longer than that.
Nutt never had back to back winning seasons in conference play in 10 seasons.

He was 42-38 in SEC play in 10 years. If you count the 2 SECCG's, he was 42-40. He won 2 bowls in 10 years.

Petrino won 2 bowls in 4 years (took Hogs to 3 bowls his last 3 seasons, no bowl his first year) and should have won 3 of 3 if not for a player falling on a fumble rather than scooping and scoring in the Sugar Bowl.

Petrino was having an affair.

Nutt was having a texting affair. 3,000 texts in 60 day period to a woman not his wife. You fill in the blanks there.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

LR54

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 16, 2013, 09:12:29 am
Nutt never had back to back winning seasons in conference play in 10 seasons.

He was 42-38 in SEC play in 10 years. If you count the 2 SECCG's, he was 42-40. He won 2 bowls in 10 years.

Petrino won 2 bowls in 4 years (took Hogs to 3 bowls his last 3 seasons, no bowl his first year) and should have won 3 of 3 if not for a player falling on a fumble rather than scooping and scoring in the Sugar Bowl.

Petrino was having an affair.

Nutt was having a texting affair. 3,000 texts in 60 day period to a woman not his wife. You fill in the blanks there.

Not disputing any of that. Just would have thought with all the "Petrino was the bestest ever" posts on here, his winning percentage would have been significantly higher than Nutt's. A .6% difference isn't what most would describe as significantly higher.

Agree he coulda, shoulda, won the the Sugar Bowl. But CBB gets bashed for losing 2 Rose Bowls by 7 points or less to higher ranked teams.

There's also the fact that he won the Liberty Bowl against CUSA East Carolina because their kicker missed umpteen field goals.

With all the future NFL talent on that team, you wouldn't have thought it should have been that close. With Petrino being an offensive genius and all.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: LR54 on November 16, 2013, 09:44:23 am
Not disputing any of that. Just would have thought with all the "Petrino was the bestest ever" posts on here, his winning percentage would have been significantly higher than Nutt's. A .6% difference isn't what most would describe as significantly higher.

Agree he coulda, shoulda, won the the Sugar Bowl. But CBB gets bashed for losing 2 Rose Bowls by 7 points or less to higher ranked teams.

There's also the fact that he won the Liberty Bowl against CUSA East Carolina because their kicker missed umpteen field goals.

With all the future NFL talent on that team, you wouldn't have thought it should have been that close. With Petrino being an offensive genius and all.
Well, he was left with nothing to work with after Nutt was fired. And he did progress every year, unlike Nutt's ebbing and flowing every single season.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Redhogs

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 15, 2013, 11:27:48 pm
You say you understand all about coaching, then you immediately sail into another "John L. Smith and Bielema can't win with these players so that proves Petrino couldn't, either" tirade.  Did Ohio State suddenly become incredibly more talented when Meyer took over?

Does Kansas State only have access to winning talent when Bill Snyder is there?  Did the well dry up when he left, then come a gusher again when he came out of retirement?  Or do you suppose COACHING may have something to do with it?

It's a broken record with you people.  Look, I get it.  You want to be hopeful.  You don't want to believe that firing the man who put together...and COACHED...our best teams since joining the SEC, and replacing him with John L. Smith, was as stupid as it appears it was.  You don't want to believe that we've now been relegated to arguing with Kentucky about who is the worst team in the SEC.  Despite 11 straight conference losses, you want to pretend you're not seeing what you're seeing.  You want to pretend our AD isn't as clueless as he is about winning football.

Somehow, you take comfort in blaming the failures of the last two seasons on a man who wasn't here for either of them.  You convince yourselves that HE is the only reason for our floundering.  Got it...I read it loud and clear.

Keep believing.  I guess it's as good a plan as any at the moment.  But...try to understand why not everyone is willing to play along with your coping mechanism, your mind game.
Great post...+1000
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: LR54 on November 16, 2013, 09:44:23 am

"Just would have thought with all the "Petrino was the bestest ever" posts on here, his winning percentage would have been significantly higher than Nutt's. A .6% difference isn't what most would describe as significantly higher"........4 years vs. 10...and 2 of the 4 were his first 2 rebuilding years..terrible comparison.

LR54

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 16, 2013, 09:51:50 am
Well, he was left with nothing to work with after Nutt was fired. And he did progress every year, unlike Nutt's ebbing and flowing every single season.

And what has CBB been left to work with?

In 2010 Petrino lost to Bama by 4 and beat LSU. In 2011, he lost to both by 24. That's progressing?

LR54

Quote from: Redhogs on November 16, 2013, 10:01:19 am
"Just would have thought with all the "Petrino was the bestest ever" posts on here, his winning percentage would have been significantly higher than Nutt's. A .6% difference isn't what most would describe as significantly higher"........4 years vs. 10...and 2 of the 4 were his first 2 rebuilding years..terrible comparison.

Since Petrino can't seem to manage to stay anywhere longer than 4 years, it was the only comparison available. But hey, he's 3 for 3 in leaving dumpster fires behind.

Redhogs

Quote from: LR54 on November 16, 2013, 10:06:18 am
Since Petrino can't seem to manage to stay anywhere longer than 4 years, it was the only comparison available. But hey, he's 3 for 3 in leaving dumpster fires behind.
Figured...another suffering from CBP derangement syndrome.

LR54

Quote from: Redhogs on November 16, 2013, 10:20:25 am
Figured...another suffering from CBP derangement syndrome.

Figured ... another Petrino fanboy suffering from separation anxiety. WKU isn't that far. Really, it's not.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LR54 on November 16, 2013, 10:30:55 am
Figured ... another Petrino fanboy suffering from separation anxiety. WKU isn't that far. Really, it's not.
Are you related to Nutt by blood or marriage?

LR54

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 16, 2013, 10:40:24 am
Are you related to Nutt by blood or marriage?

Nah, just having a little fun with numbers. It's actually a little repulsive to use Nutt's record for comparison. Which it why it's so surprising that Petrino's record isn't that much better.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LR54 on November 16, 2013, 11:04:44 am
Nah, just having a little fun with numbers. It's actually a little repulsive to use Nutt's record for comparison. Which it why it's so surprising that Petrino's record isn't that much better.
The SEC has turned into an animal in the last seven years.  Also let's compare HDN's LAST TWO YEARS at Ole Miss to CBP's last two years at Arkansas.  Talk about fun with numbers.  You may not be able to contain yourself.

Wants2Win

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 15, 2013, 11:27:48 pm

Pretty much my thinking. This year has been horrible and the coaching has been horrible right along with it. Just by default talent in this program every single year for forever, should not be 0-6 right now in SEC and on 7 game losing streak. This staff has certainly not played the hand it was dealt with any intelligence. That is a sign of bad coaching.

LR54

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 16, 2013, 11:17:15 am
The SEC has turned into an animal in the last seven years.  Also let's compare HDN's LAST TWO YEARS at Ole Miss to CBP's last two years at Arkansas.  Talk about fun with numbers.  You may not be able to contain yourself.

You seem to have somehow confused me with a Nutt fan. Not even close. Don't care any more about what Nutt did at Ole Miss than I do what Petrino is doing at WKU.

You're absolutely right that the SEC is tougher now than it was 7 years ago, or 5 years ago. Which is exactly what makes all this Bielema bashing even more absurd.

What started this whole line of posts was someone claiming that Petrino's offense was the only "winning success" Arkansas had ever had in the SEC. And that a pass happy offense was the only way for Arkansas to win in the SEC. And why CBB's style wouldn't work here.

A little fact checking quickly disproved those claims.

It's interesting that some are fine using Petrino's record as a tool to bash CBB, but cry foul if Petrino's record doesn't look clearly superior to Nutt's.

When possible factors for our current record under CBB are discussed, they're called "excuses". Yet those same "excuses" magically become "facts" when comparing Petrino's record to Nutt's.

I'm much more interested in moving forward with the coaching staff we have. The past is the best place to leave former coaches, all of them, along with the revisionist history that seems to follow them.