Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Spanberger: Signed with the Colorado Rockies

Started by SPAL, June 13, 2017, 05:28:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

June 13, 2017, 05:28:34 pm Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:54:43 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot

June 13th:

Chad Spanberger , a junior first baseman from the University of Arkansas, was selected by the Colorado Rockies with pick #167 of the 6th round.

June 21st:
Signed with the Colorado Rockies for slot value $260,200

June 22nd:
Arrived at Rookie League Grand Junction

June 26th:
First home run as a professional, a 2 run homer.

SPAL

ThisTeetsTaken

Happy for C-Span.   He was fun to watch this year.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Supermark101

June 14, 2017, 12:08:17 am #3 Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:51:27 am by Supermark101
I love this for him and my Rockies.

Someone should make here threads for our signees as well.

jbell96

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 07:38:37 pm

According to this article, Chad will begin with the Rockies low A affiliate, the Ashville Tourists, and will report later this month. Clicking the image will direct you to their page.

http://www.bnd.com/sports/college/article155939079.html

Glad to see he's going to A ball instead of Short Season or Rookie ball. The pitching at those levels aren't much of a challenge when you consider the guys he faced in the SEC.

snf6278

Youngsta71701

Quote from: snf6278 on June 14, 2017, 12:33:58 pm
I still love the look on the umps face in this pic!
Classic, you know it was a bomb.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jackflash

was hoping the Yankees would draft him made for Yankee stadium

bighog2255

Hogs49ers

If y'all had to guess, do you think he signed for under slot, right at slot, or over slot?
SCREW Vandy!

SPAL

Slot value is 260,200 so I would guess 250-275 range. If over or under, probably not much either way.

JHGiunta

Supermark101

Quote from: jackflash on June 17, 2017, 10:53:06 am
was hoping the Yankees would draft him made for Yankee stadium

He'll be fine in Colorado!

SPAL

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

SPAL

Joined rookie league grand Junction and hit his first home run.

SPAL

SPAL

SPAL

Sac fly RBI but just missed a 2RBI double. Cspan took a 3-0 fastball deep to right and he made a diving catch to rob him.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 27, 2017, 09:55:23 pm
Sac fly RBI but just missed a 2RBI double. Cspan took a 3-0 fastball deep to right and he made a diving catch to rob him.

Can someone explain to me the difference between rookie ball and the minors and also list off all the levels in order before you get to the MLB?  Thanks in advance.
SCREW Vandy!

CJ HOG

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 27, 2017, 10:38:30 pm
Can someone explain to me the difference between rookie ball and the minors and also list off all the levels in order before you get to the MLB?  Thanks in advance.
Not sure how up to date or accurate this is but it's a place to start.

Overview of Baseball's Minor League Organization
OR
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_League_Baseball

ROOKIE
ROOKIE ADVANCED
CLASS A- SHORT SEASON
CLASS A
CLASS A- ADVANCED
DOUBLE A
TRIPLE A
THE SHOW....

Hogs49ers

Quote from: CJ HOG on June 28, 2017, 12:53:51 am
Not sure how up to date or accurate this is but it's a place to start.

Overview of Baseball's Minor League Organization
OR
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_League_Baseball

ROOKIE
ROOKIE ADVANCED
CLASS A- SHORT SEASON
CLASS A
CLASS A- ADVANCED
DOUBLE A
TRIPLE A
THE SHOW....

Much appreciated - it would be cool to start an ongoing thread that calls out all the former Razorbacks listed out under each classification.  Just so anyone passing by can go and easily check where each former Hog is at, and we can do edits as they move up or down.
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

I imagine the Razorbacks could compete with a lot of Rookie teams right?
SCREW Vandy!

SPAL

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 28, 2017, 02:21:20 am
Much appreciated - it would be cool to start an ongoing thread that calls out all the former Razorbacks listed out under each classification.  Just so anyone passing by can go and easily check where each former Hog is at, and we can do edits as they move up or down.

I've started one for all the most recent draftees. If you wanna start a thread for past classes, go for it. I'll do what I can to help. You have an off-season project.

PintailKiller

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 28, 2017, 02:23:09 am
I imagine the Razorbacks could compete with a lot of Rookie teams right?

Think about this - rookie teams are made up of draft picks and a very few undrafted free agents.  The Hogs had what 6 drafted this year and, without looking, another 6-8 that have been drafted?
That being said, many top college teams probably could compete with rookie level teams.  Biggest difference would be in the pen.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Hogs49ers

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 28, 2017, 07:21:38 am
I've started one for all the most recent draftees. If you wanna start a thread for past classes, go for it. I'll do what I can to help. You have an off-season project.

Sounds good I will look into it!
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

Quote from: PintailKiller on June 28, 2017, 10:18:35 am
Think about this - rookie teams are made up of draft picks and a very few undrafted free agents.  The Hogs had what 6 drafted this year and, without looking, another 6-8 that have been drafted?
That being said, many top college teams probably could compete with rookie level teams.  Biggest difference would be in the pen.

Thanks, that makes sense. 

Where do you think the biggest jump in level of competition happens on the way to the majors?
SCREW Vandy!

PintailKiller

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 28, 2017, 10:30:31 am
Thanks, that makes sense. 

Where do you think the biggest jump in level of competition happens on the way to the majors?

A to AA
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

JHGiunta

If u don't have the MiLB First Pitch app I highly recommend it. You can listen to broadcast audio from just about any minor league team and track any teams games and players stats. You can also subscribe to TV for -around $10/mo or $50/yr.

Great to track former Hogs!

SPAL

Cspan back in the lineup tonight after being off last night. Batting in the cleanup spot again.

SPAL

SPAL

SPAL

Hogs49ers

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 29, 2017, 08:57:55 pm
431 foot bomb for cspan

Awesome!  Are you able to watch the game somewhere? Or just listening to broadcast?
SCREW Vandy!

SPAL

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 29, 2017, 09:54:11 pm
Awesome!  Are you able to watch the game somewhere? Or just listening to broadcast?

I'm listening through the same app that JHG referenced above but you can watch with a paid subscription.

SPAL

June 29, 2017, 10:10:24 pm #35 Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:21:39 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Another hit for C-SPAN....2/4 tonight with a blast and a hard single.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 29, 2017, 10:10:24 pm
Another hit for C-SPAN....2/4 tonight with a blast a hard single.

Wow that makes him 6/13 on the season with 2 HRs - I would imagine they may move him up to single A pretty soon? Or does he have to stay in Rookie ball for the season? 

I just checked Benintendi's route to the majors and he never played rookie ball and went straight from AA to the majors, and had no drop off in his batting average from AA to MLB.
SCREW Vandy!

SPAL

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 29, 2017, 10:17:11 pm
Wow that makes him 6/13 on the season with 2 HRs - I would imagine they may move him up to single A pretty soon? Or does he have to stay in Rookie ball for the season? 

I just checked Benintendi's route to the majors and he never played rookie ball and went straight from AA to the majors, and had no drop off in his batting average from AA to MLB.

Top prospects are typically fast track to the show. Guys like AB dont go to rookie ball.

As for Chad, so much goes into advancing . If he keeps this pace, he will certainly help himself. It's more than just stats though.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 29, 2017, 10:25:33 pm
Top prospects are typically fast track to the show. Guys like AB dont go to rookie ball.

As for Chad, so much goes into advancing . If he keeps this pace, he will certainly help himself. It's more than just stats though.

My guess only, but I'm going to assume Cspan path to the MLB involves proving he can field his position and getting stronger.  He was plenty strong in college, but I got to believe he has the ability to really add some strength just playing and working out over the next year. 

dotnet

For a first baseman or even LF, I think his path will be 100% dictated by his bat and his ability to make solid contact. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 29, 2017, 11:11:15 pm
My guess only, but I'm going to assume Cspan path to the MLB involves proving he can field his position and getting stronger.  He was plenty strong in college, but I got to believe he has the ability to really add some strength just playing and working out over the next year.

Posted by: dotnet
« on: Today at 09:21:13 am » Insert Quote
For a first baseman or even LF, I think his path will be 100% dictated by his bat and his ability to make solid contact.

There is some truth to both statements.  First, CSpan will have a quicker path to the bigs if he can make it as a position player that also hits well, so batting has a lot to do with his rise.  But if he tears the cover of the ball with power he will rise, even if its as a DH, but the bigs will have a lot less options for him- mainly he would just be a American League player (not a league the Rockies are currently in). 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

JHGiunta

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 30, 2017, 10:16:56 pm
Cspan is 1/4 tonight and hit his 3rd bomb.

I was filling audio on First Pitch but had to do something and missed it. How far? Which part of the park?

SPAL

Quote from: JHGiunta on June 30, 2017, 10:25:12 pm
I was filling audio on First Pitch but had to do something and missed it. How far? Which part of the park?

I wasn't listening tonight. I was watching Boston and Toronto. I've got grand Junction as my favorite team so I get updates. It alerted me he hit one.

JHGiunta

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 30, 2017, 10:28:33 pm
I wasn't listening tonight. I was watching Boston and Toronto. I've got grand Junction as my favorite team so I get updates. It alerted me he hit one.

Gotcha.

Hogs49ers

Wow 3 HRs in 4 games!  I cannot wait to see what he does against better pitching at some of the higher levels - I think he will keep on improving, exciting stuff!
SCREW Vandy!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

SPAL

Cspan belted his 4th homerun....a 3 run bomb.

He is hitting .326 with those 4 Jacks

SPAL

Another spanbomb for C-SPAN.....number 5 on the season. Will update stats after the game ends