Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should He Stay or Should He Go? 2024 College Basketball Decisions

Started by jbcarol, February 26, 2024, 10:46:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Matt Painter tells me that this will be Zach Edey's final season at Purdue and he will not use his COVID year in 2024-25.

Averages 23.7 PPG and 11.8 RPG.

Will be the first player to win National Player of the Year honors in back-to-back seasons since Ralph Sampson.
10:47 AM · Feb 26, 2024
·
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Caitlin Clark finally explains why she chose now to declare for WNBA Draft

by:
Grant Grubbs

QuoteOn Thursday, Iowa superstar Caitlin Clark announced she will declare for the 2024 WNBA Draft after the season ends. In a press conference on Friday, Clark explained the rationale:

"Going into senior night, having that decision clear not only for myself, but for the fans, my teammates, I think that was super important," Clark said. "Getting the weight of the world off my shoulders, and being able to enjoy this last month with my teammates, I think is the biggest thing."

Iowa only has one regular-season game left on the schedule. Clark hasn't allowed her senior season to go to waste. She's averaging 32.2 points, 7.4 rebounds and 8.7 assists.

Clark is closing in on the Division I all-time record held by "Pistol" Pete Maravich. He scored 3,667 points in three years for LSU from 1968-70. Clark already shattered Kelsey Plum's women's basketball scoring record earlier this year.

Despite outside noise and "one more year" chants, Clark admitted her mind has been made up for a while...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Report: Bronny James doesn't need to play with LeBron in NBA, weighing staying at USC

by:
Nick Kosko

QuoteBronny James could very well be back in 2024-25 at USC to play another year for the Trojans rather than test the NBA Draft waters and possibly with his father LeBron James.

LeBron James said on numerous occasions he would love to play on the same team as his son one day before he hangs it up. Heck, he doesn't have much left to accomplish since he just scored 40,000 career points.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski provided the latest on Bronny, LeBron and agent Rich Paul weighing the decision for the USC guard.

"Rich Paul ... he will also be Bronny James' representative," Wojnarowski said on NBA Countdown. "And a couple of things they're really going to look at when they make a decision about leaving school or returning for a sophomore year USC, No. 1: Rich Paul, LeBron James and Bronny James are generally far less interested in how high he will be picked, but if it's the right team interested in him and the right developmental situation for him."

jbcarol

Would Kentucky double legacy Reed Sheppard take a pay cut and enter the draft in which he's a projected lottery pick or return as his old man did when he won the NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player :hmmm:

jbcarol

NBA Draft: Eight College Freshmen with Draft Decisions to Make

by:
Jamie Shaw

QuoteNBA Draft will take place on June 26-27 this year, putting us less than four months away from seeing Commissioner Adam Silver at the podium. As we are winding down the college basketball season, there are a lot of questions still out there. We have talked about the parity in this draft ad nauseam, with a large portion of players not differentiating themselves into different tiers.

With that, some questions still need to be answered. I wanted to look through the current college freshman class:

The situation is fluid.

G Robert Dillingham, Kentucky
The Buzz: There is electricity with Robert Dillingham's game. His ability to create offensive opportunities for himself brings fans to their feet on a nightly basis. With that said, his defense has made him unplayable to close games at times this season. He does have good length and he does have some twitchy athleticism. Dillingham has re-tooled his shot this season, and with that he has seen a lot of success, shooting 44.5 percent from three on the season. With all his offensive exploits the ball does have a tendency to stick in his hands and his decision-making can be up and down over the course of a game. The Kentucky roster lists Dillingham at 6-foot-3 (he's shorter) and 176 pounds. There are only four players in the NBA this season who played in 40 games and averaged 15.0 or more minutes per game (sic). The margins are narrow for him, and how he measures during the workout part of the draft could be big for him.

At this point in time, I would expect Dillingham to stay in the NBA Draft.

F Justin Edwards, Kentucky
The Buzz: Justin Edwards came to college with a lot of expectations. And while he got off to a slow start, he has started to find his comfort zone as the season has progressed. Edwards showed early that he had a less-than-creative handle and was a streaky shooter from three, both concerns coming out of high school. Over his last 11 games, in February and March, Edwards has stepped things up averaging 11.2 points and 1.2 steals while shooting 17-33 (51.5%) from three. The wing understands team defense and he is aggressive in the passing lanes. I would like to see him rebound better and he has now shown consistent processing this season, but Edwards is quick in transition, able to turn defense into offense, and he fills the lanes with a purpose, running straight to the front of the rim. Another year would help show consistency with the jump shot and continue to progress his handle in getting to his spots as a scoring threat. Justin Edwards turned 20 in December.

As things currently stand, I could see Edwards staying in the NBA Draft.

F Collin Murray Boyles, South Carolina
The Buzz: Collin Murray-Boyles missed the first part of the year battling mononucleosis. The lefty from Columbia, South Carolina by way of Mount Pleasant (UT) Wasatch Academy wasted no time showcasing his production. In SEC play, Murray-Boyles is averaging 11.9 points, 7.1 rebounds, 2.1 assists, and 1.2 blocks. The freshman has a nose for the ball and a way of finding production. Listed at 6-foot-7, 233 pounds Murray-Boyles has attempted five threes on the season – all misses – and he is shooting 68.4 percent from the free-throw line. He plays well from the mid-post, able to dribble, shoot, and pass from that area. Another year in college would help add to that range, show he can guard perimeter-based forwards, and create opportunities going right. There is no denying his timing on the defensive end and ability to finish through contact from the left half of the court.

While I would expect him to test the NBA Draft waters, at this point in time, I would not be surprised to see Collin Murray-Boyles back in college next season.

G Reed Sheppard, Kentucky
The Buzz: Coming off the bench for most of the season, Reed Sheppard has been excellent. The Kentucky legacy guard has shown he can connect the pieces and step up in big moments to knock down a shot. Sheppard also has some excellent court awareness on the defensive end. His SEC-leading 2.5 steals per game is tricky because he is a streaky off-ball defender and can get beat in the half-court on the ball. Offensively, Sheppard has proven to possibly be the premier shooter in college basketball. He is shooting 52.6 percent from three on 4.4 attempts per game. In the five games Sheppard started, he showed some inconsistencies as the primary ball handler, doubling his turnover output from 1.7 to 3.4. While he has been inconsistent in distributing from the paint, he has also been inconsistent in finishing in the paint. Kentucky lists Sheppard at 6-foot-3, 185 pounds. As a complimentary guard, measurements could be big for him. Sheppard has been one of the more consistent players this entire season, not showing too many highs or lows throughout. Sheppard will be 20 years old on the night of the NBA Draft. This one could be one of the more interesting decisions throughout the 2024 NBA Draft process.

While it would make sense for him to leave, I would not be surprised to see him come back.

jbcarol

Too soon :hmmm:

Dylan Cardwell, other Auburn teammates, undecided on return next season

Matt Cohen

QuoteAfter Auburn was bounced from the first round of the NCAA Tournament in a 78-76 upset loss to No. 13 seed Yale, several Tigers now have decisions to make for next season.

Only two scholarship Auburn players are out of eligibility after this season: Jaylin Williams and Lior Berman.

Both their careers ended in heartbreak.

Williams ended with a crushing loss in Spokane, Washington, to Yale, putting a stunning halt to an SEC Tournament title-winning season.

That leaves several other players with decisions to make. The transfer portal is now open...

The biggest name with a decision to make is Auburn center Johni Broome. Broome declined to speak to media after the loss to Yale. He went through Auburn's Senior Day festivities in the final home game and Auburn posted a video of Broome that appeared as a goodbye

Broome, Auburn's best player this season, tested the NBA Draft last summer. He is expected to look toward the professional level

Other Auburn players who went through Senior Day but have a chance to come back include K.D. Johnson, Chris Moore, Dylan Cardwell and Carter Sobera.

Jalen Harper, a walk-on, cannot come back next season. He plans to play in Spain and move in with his brother — former Auburn star Jared Harper, who is currently playing for Valencia

Only Cardwell and Sobera spoke to reporters after the loss to Yale.

Cardwell is uncertain on what's next.

"I have to sit down and really think about it -- talk with the coaching staff, talk with my mom, talk to my family," Cardwell said after the game. "We have a great chance of coming back and making history again and to invest in the team next year."

Asked when he'll make his decision, Cardwell said he just needs a few days to process this loss.

"Off the table," Cardwell said for now. "I'll think about it starting Monday, probably, and just start praying about it."

Sobera said he hasn't thought about it yet either.

"Not sure yet," Sobera said when asked if he wants to come back next season.

Sobera earned a scholarship part of the way through this season after spending his first three years at Auburn as a walk-on.

Auburn team won't look the same in the fall.

jbcarol

Tre Mitchell: 'I've enjoyed every single second of being at Kentucky'

by:
Chandler Vessels

QuoteTre Mitchell is thankful for the memories he made during his brief time at Kentucky. Although it ended earlier than he expected with a first-round NCAA Tournament upset to Oakland, he still feels like he learned a lot playing in Lexington.

Mitchell gave his all in the loss coming away with a double-double of 14 points and 13 rebounds. Unfortunately, it was enough to overcome an incredible effort from Grizzlies guard Jack Gohlke, who poured in 32 points on 10-of-20 from 3-point range.

Speaking postgame, Mitchell reflected on his one season with the Wildcats and what he'll take with him as he moves on.

He had some big games this season, including a 20-point, 14-rebound effort against Missouri.

Mitchell will now turn his sights toward a pro career and is projected as a second-round pick at best

jbcarol

Indiana center Kel'el Ware declares for 2024 NBA Draft

by:
Matt Connolly

QuoteIndiana center Kel'el Ware has made his decision on the 2024 NBA draft. Ware has decided to turn pro, he announced on Instagram Tuesday morning.

Ware started all 30 games he appeared in this season. He led the Hoosiers at 15.9 points per game and 9.9 rebounds per game.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Cohen: Bruce Pearl keeps door open for possible Johni Broome return to Auburn

QuotePearl couldn't give many specifics, but he didn't rule out the possibility of star center Johni Broome returning to Auburn next season.

"Sure," Pearl said Thursday when asked if Broome has a chance to come back. "Absolutely. It's one of his options would be to come back."

Broome led Auburn in scoring this year at 16.5 points per game. Auburn's season ended abruptly in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament with an upset loss to No. 13 seed Yale.

Broome declined to answer questions from reporters in the locker room after the Yale game.

This was Broome's second year at Auburn after transferring from Morehead State and the best season of his college career. He was named to the All-SEC first team and the SEC Tournament MVP after Auburn won the championship in Nashville.

Broome greatly improved as a shooter and a passer this season with career highs by significant margins in both assists per game and 3-point shooting percentage. He has previously looked into the NBA Draft in past offseasons and decided to return to Auburn.

He has also talked this season about how seeing Broome improve as a shooter and passer were what scouts were looking for.

He's done that.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Mitchell Saxen tells me that he's returning to Saint Mary's next season and will use his additional year of eligibility.

Massive news for the Gaels.
3:34 PM · Mar 28, 2024
·

jbcarol

jbcarol

Adou Thiero enters 2024 NBA Draft, could return to Kentucky

by:
Jack Pilgrim

QuoteWe already knew Adou Thiero was in the transfer portal, exploring his other options among college basketball programs. But he's not limiting himself to a breakup with Kentucky —

The sophomore forward out of 1337sdale, PA announced Saturday he would be entering the 2024 NBA Draft while keeping all college options open, including a potential third season in Lexington. His decision comes after a sit-down with John Calipari this week.

"After talking to Coach Calipari, I feel it is best at this time to test the waters professionally, entering my name in the 2024 NBA Draft, while keeping all of my options open, including a return to Kentucky," Thiero said. "I'd like to thank the fans, my coaches and teammates for their support over the last two years. I look forward to going through this process to determine the next step for me."

6-8 standout averaged 7.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per contest in his second season with the Wildcats.

Coach Cal previously hinted at a potential third year for Thiero at Kentucky — if not hoped to speak it into existence —

Givony included Thiero at No. 27 overall in ESPN's first 2025 NBA mock draft, betting on his physical tools as a potential first-rounder.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Source: Mylyjael Poteat is returning to Virginia Tech next season and will use his additional year of eligibility.
3:41 PM · Mar 30, 2024

jbcarol

Coleman Hawkins following Elite 8 loss to UConn: 'I think this was my last ride at Illinois'

by:
Wade Peery

QuoteIllinois Fighting Illini made things interesting for the first half of their Elite Eight matchup vs. the top-seeded UConn Huskies. And then the Huskies went on a 30-0 run, extinguishing all hope of an Illinois win. The Fighting Illini were the latest victim of the UConn warpath, falling 77-52. Shortly after the loss, Illinois power forward Coleman Hawkins let fans know that was his last game with the team.

"I think this was my last ride at Illinois," Hawkins said.

Dan Hurley cuts down the nets as UConn advances

jbcarol

Josh Hubbard on his future at Mississippi State: 'Let's run it back'

by: Justin Rudolph

QuoteState Bulldogs men's basketball team put together a respectable run in the 2023-24 season, and one of their key contributors is looking to run it back next season. Mississippi State's star point guard Josh Hubbard pledged his loyalty to the program on social media, revealing that he intends to remain in Starkville, MS, after this year.

"let's run it back Starkvegas, year 2 loading...🐶"

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein

Florida Atlantic's Johnell Davis has declared for the 2024 NBA Draft while maintaining his eligibility, per his IG page.

Davis will also enter the transfer portal.
10:45 PM · Apr 2, 2024
·

jbcarol

jbcarol

LeBron James: Son Bronny has 'tough decisions' to make

by: Nick Schultz

QuoteAs rumors swirl about Bronny James' future at USC, his father LeBron has weighed in. He met with reporters Tuesday night after his Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Toronto Raptors and said Bronny has some "tough decisions" to make.

A post from Hall of Fame reporter Dick Weiss said Bronny James was planning to enter the transfer portal after just one season at USC. His coach, Andy Enfield, recently left to become the head coach at SMU after the Trojans missed the NCAA Tournament this season, and all eyes are on what James will decide to do. Weiss later posted he "can't confirm" the story.

"I don't know where it came from," LeBron said about the report. "But at the end of the day, Bronny's his own man and he has some tough decisions to make. When he's ready to make those decisions, he'll let us all know. But as his family, we'll all support whatever he does."

jbcarol

Chad Baker-Mazara announces return to Auburn in 2024-25

by:
Griffin McVeigh

QuoteAuburn was one of the few upset surprises in the NCAA Tournament first round, losing to Yale. Winning the SEC Tournament was thought to give the Tigers momentum but Bruce Pearl's guys were sent home early. Now, the journey to get back during the 2024-2025 season has begun and a key piece announced his return

Chad Baker-Mazara will be back on the Plains next year.

His job is not complete.

jbcarol

LSU guard Hailey Van Lith not named on list of 2024 WNBA Draft entries

by: Andrew Graham

QuoteLSU guard Hailey Van Lith will not be entering the 2024 WNBA Draft. A list of players no longer competing this season and thus entering the draft was released on Thursday, with Van Lith not being named on the list. Van Lith began her college career at Louisville, where she played three seasons.

Van Lith surprised many when she transferred to a loaded LSU squad ahead of the 2023-24 season, and the change of scenery also led to a change in role. She went from averaging nearly 20 points per game in more than 36 minutes a night as a junior at Louisville to 31.3 minutes a night and 11.6 points per game in her lone season with the Tigers.

Van Lith has an extra year of eligibility remaining as her freshman season didn't count towards her total due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

jbcarol

Justin Edwards is off to the NBA

by: Jack Pilgrim

QuoteAdou Thiero was the first player to make a decision regarding his future in Lexington, entering the transfer portal while testing the draft waters and considering a potential return to Kentucky. That was exactly a week ago with nothing but radio silence since — until Thursday evening. That's when Justin Edwards made it official he'd be entering the NBA Draft with no mention of a return to school, a sign he's all in on his professional future.

"After careful consideration and with a deep appreciation for the opportunities and experiences I've had here in Kentucky, I have decided to take a significant step in my basketball career," Edwards said. "With much gratitude, I am excited to announce my decision to declare for the NBA Draft."

The five-star wing signed with the Wildcats as the No. 2 overall recruit and No. 1 small forward in the 2023 class, choosing UK over Tennessee, UConn and Auburn, among others.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Juwan Gary and Brice Williams will both return to Nebraska next season and use their additional year of eligibility, per a joint announcement.

Significant Big Ten News.
Last edited
7:25 PM · Apr 4, 2024
·

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Oklahoma's Jalon Moore will enter the 2024 NBA Draft, per his Twitter page.
2:37 PM · Apr 6, 2024
·

jbcarol

Oats addresses Grant Nelson's NBA future: 'I'd love to have him back'

by: Alex Weber

QuoteAlabama bowed out of the NCAA Tournament in Saturday night's Final Four matchup vs. UConn, but Grant Nelson still had a great night for his NBA Draft stock.

Nelson has been terrific all March and one of the catalysts for Alabama's run to Phoenix. Against North Carolina, he was the best player on the floor, and then against UConn, he more than held his own against the future pros in the Husky front-court. After the loss, Alabama coach Nate Oats was asked about his big man's rising stock this tournament.

"I'm sure his draft stock has risen in the tournament," said Oats. "Particularly, how he played against — was it Carolina where he had 24-12-5. He's one of the four players in the history of the tournament to do that against a single-digit seed. I think it was him, Shaq, Tim Duncan and Channing Frye."

jbcarol

Kentucky guard Rob Dillingham declares for 2024 NBA Draft

by: Grant Grubbs

QuoteDuring an appearance on NBA Today on Tuesday, Kentucky guard Rob Dillingham declared for the 2024 NBA Draft. Dillingham now joins a long line of one-and-done products from head coach John Calipari.

In his lone season at Kentucky, Dillingham averaged 15.2 points, 2.9 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game while shooting 47.5% from the field and 44.3% from beyond the arc.

Dillingham has signed a representation agreement with Klutch Sports.

"This was a decision I made with my family," Dillingham told ESPN. "I felt prepared. Coach Calipari taught me a lot about how to be a better teammate and that it was not all about me.

"It was an up-and-down season with a lot of great moments," Dillingham said. "We won a lot of games with a young team. It was a great learning experience, and it was amazing to share it with my teammates. I learned how to be for everyone; that's what wins games. Coach Cal has done a lot for Kentucky. I feel like he's a great coach. Wherever he goes, he'll be a great coach."

jbcarol

Houston guard Jamal Shead announces he's entering NBA Draft, hiring agent

by: Alex Weber

QuoteHouston point guard, All-American and 2024 Naismith Defensive Player of the year Jamal Shead has opted to enter the NBA Draft and forgo his remaining eligibility.

He's gone guys. He's gone.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein

Dylan Cardwell is returning to Auburn next season and will use his additional year of eligibility, per his Twitter page.
3:30 PM · Apr 11, 2024

jbcarol

Kentucky fans chant 'one more year'

Reed Sheppard's NBA decision looms

by: Grant Grubbs

QuoteKentucky fans are hungry for another year of Reed Sheppard. During Sheppard's Pro Camp at Rupp Arena, fans showered the standout freshman with "one more year" chants. Yet to officially declare for the 2024 NBA Draft, Sheppard simply smiled.

Sheppard dropped jaws in his debut campaign. He played in all 33 of Kentucky's games and made five starts. The Kentucky native averaged 12.5 points, 4.5 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game while shooting 53.6% from the floor, a nation-best 52.1% from 3-point range and 83.1% from the free-throw line.

For his efforts, Sheppard was named the SEC Freshman of the Year by the league's coaches, the National Association of Basketball Coaches National Freshman of the Year, All-SEC Second Team member and Dick Vitale's "Diaper Dandy" of the Year.

If Sheppard decides to return next season, will he play for John Calipari?

Kentucky is yet to hire a new head coach, and last year's roster is gradually deteriorating. Adou Thiero, Aaron Bradshaw and Joey Hart all entered the NCAA Transfer Portal. Justin Edwards and Rob Dillingham declared for the 2024 NBA Draft. To make matters worse, standout 2024 commits such as Jayden Quaintance and Karter Knox re-opened their recruitment.

Motivation for Reed Sheppard's return

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Duke's Kyle Filipowski has declared for the 2024 NBA Draft, per his IG page.
12:02 PM · Apr 12, 2024
·

jbcarol