Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jaylen Barford...

Started by Fairnbalanced, December 03, 2015, 01:17:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 19, 2016, 09:08:04 am
His FG% is 60% (17.74 FG attempts/game).  I understand they don't play much defense in JUCO, but that's crazy for a guard.  39% from 3.  He shoots 4.6 3s per game.

This. It's a good indication that his game will translate to D1. That is insane for a guard.

And those thinking JUCO is weak. It's better than high school ball by a long shot.

Swinesong1

Only two bad shooting games all season.

TomBigBeeHog

This guy will start some games for us next year. Will be awesome to have a distributor who can score.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Razorpigg

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2016, 08:16:36 am
This guy will start some games for us next year. Will be awesome to have a distributor who can score.

I would think he will start more than he doesnt.  Like you said, we have noone on the roster with his capabilities currently. 

razorsharp94

February 26, 2016, 12:26:36 pm #54 Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:16:09 pm by razorsharp94
Barford averaged 14.6 ppg and 6 assists on a State Runner up his junior year of High school.
He averaged 20 ppg and 4 assists his senior year for a State Champion.
He averaged 22 ppg and 4 assists his freshman year at Motlow
He is averaging over 25 ppg right now.  I believe we have something here, in Barford. He has also grown to 6'5" 210 lbs. 

Also for some context his teammate and former Arkansas recruit Dequon Miller is currently Missouri State's best player as a junior where he's averaging almost 13 ppg and 4 assists per game.  Miller is 5'10" 170.

TomBigBeeHog

6'5" is NBA size for the point.  Nice to finally have a big guard who can see over the defense. Makes it easier to get the ball to Moses in the post.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Fairnbalanced

Word is he followed up his 27 point game with 45 this afternoon to advance team to regional championship game.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Fairnbalanced on March 03, 2016, 07:33:19 pm
Word is he followed up his 27 point game with 45 this afternoon to advance team to regional championship game.

Awesome. Hope he and his teammates get to cut down the nets after he leads them to a national championship.

Fairnbalanced

Quote from: Fairnbalanced on March 03, 2016, 07:33:19 pm
12-23 fgs, 2-7 on 3s, 19-22 FTs.

Danny J

Quote from: Fairnbalanced on March 03, 2016, 08:54:30 pm
12-23 fgs, 2-7 on 3s, 19-22 FTs.
Love seeing his FTA's...means he is being aggressive to the basket

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Danny J on March 03, 2016, 09:20:49 pm
Love seeing his FTA's...means he is being aggressive to the basket

He will be an instant upgrade at the point. He and Beard will man that spot pretty well and will probably spend a lot of time on the court together.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 02, 2016, 01:31:45 pm
Barford #0 White:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_sWzLAjw04

DAAAAANG, he's good. Has it all. I can see why some say there is a chance he is only here one year.

Watch the first 20 minutes of this game from a year ago and see how good he was then. If you only watch 10 seconds of it, watch at the 20:02 mark.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 04, 2016, 08:52:22 am
Watch the first 20 minutes of this game from a year ago and see how good he was then. If you only watch 10 seconds of it, watch at the 20:02 mark.

Pretty salty. Gonna be sweet seeing him out on the break with Moses.

Hawg Red

Everytime I see Jabril Durham drive into the lane with no recourse or plan and end up looking foolish, I scream-chant "Jaylen Barford!!!" as if I were Frank Constanza chanting "Serenity Now!!!"

This kid is going to make such a big difference for us next year.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 04, 2016, 09:01:41 am
Everytime I see Jabril Durham drive into the lane with no recourse or plan and end up looking foolish, I scream-chant "Jaylen Barford!!!" as if I were Frank Constanza chanting "Serenity Now!!!"

"Hoochie mama!"

TomBigBeeHog

The defense will not be able to sag off Barford because he will shoot from outside. If they play him tight, he can get into the lane and is strong enough to take contact and has enough height to get his shot off in traffic.

This is a serious upgrade in offense at Durham's spot. Now, about Miles....

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 04, 2016, 09:25:38 am
The defense will not be able to sag off Barford because he will shoot from outside. If they play him tight, he can get into the lane and is strong enough to take contact and has enough height to get his shot off in traffic.

This is a serious upgrade in offense at Durham's spot. Now, about Miles....

Durham replaced by Barford.

Bell replaced by Macon.

Miles replaced by Cook, Thomas, and Bailey.

Kouassi replaced by Trey Thompson (sort of).

We will be better at every position except for the loss of Bell. If Macon can just give us half of Bell's production, we'll be in good shape.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 04, 2016, 09:29:29 am
We will be better at every position except for the loss of Bell. If Macon can just give us half of Bell's production, we'll be in good shape.

Bell made some clutch shots for us this year, more than all his previous years combined it seems. Wish we had some better pieces around him this year. He was asked to do a lot and he gave us what he had. He presence at the UA is of the few things good to come out of Memphis that I can recall lately. Hope we find another one there.

brajking

Met him a few weeks ago when they played in West Tennessee. Was a really nice guy. Watched him play and he seems like a guy who could score about 10-12 ppg and average 3-5 assists a game next year. Has the size to play in the SEC as well.

ShadowHawg

How did you live through Julysses Nobles?

Razorpigg

Quote from: brajking on March 04, 2016, 11:08:32 pm
Met him a few weeks ago when they played in West Tennessee. Was a really nice guy. Watched him play and he seems like a guy who could score about 10-12 ppg and average 3-5 assists a game next year. Has the size to play in the SEC as well.

I sure hope he does better than 10-12 ppg next year with his ability.  I mean, he doesnt have to average 25ppg but we will need him to be up there in the 17-20 range in order for us to be successful IMO.

brajking

Quote from: Razorpigg on March 05, 2016, 08:47:27 am
I sure hope he does better than 10-12 ppg next year with his ability.  I mean, he doesnt have to average 25ppg but we will need him to be up there in the 17-20 range in order for us to be successful IMO.
I was just saying at least 10 ppg. I would hope he can produce more than that.

Razorod

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 04, 2016, 09:29:29 am
Durham replaced by Barford.

Bell replaced by Macon.

Miles replaced by Cook, Thomas, and Bailey.

Kouassi replaced by Trey Thompson (sort of).

Hopefully you can factor WHitt into the equation with regard to replacing Bell.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Razorpigg on March 05, 2016, 08:47:27 am

I would think that with the addition of so many pieces no one would have to score in the 20 point range. Next years team will have the scoring ability to get way more than 80 points a game. I could see it pushing 90 if CMA lets them run.

mhuff

Quote from: Razorod on March 05, 2016, 11:24:30 am
Hopefully you can factor WHitt into the equation with regard to replacing Bell.

Razored, I was likewise thinking same. Realistically, he should play better defense and probably a slight improvement on 2p %. He will not shoot 3Pers as well. We will have players that will be able to perform well enough there.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: mhuff on March 05, 2016, 11:46:40 am
Razored, I was likewise thinking same. Realistically, he should play better defense and probably a slight improvement on 2p %. He will not shoot 3Pers as well. We will have players that will be able to perform well enough there.
I would think that Bradfords lenght along with Whitt's 7ft wingspan will make the Hogs a much bigger threat in the passing lanes next season, we haven't had a pair of guards like that in a long time.

The Boar War

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 05, 2016, 02:33:39 am
How did you live through Julysses Nobles?

One of those guys I had completely forgotten about.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

HawgHeadCheese

March 06, 2016, 02:54:31 pm #78 Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:37:31 pm by HawgHeadCheese
I think it is realistic to feel Barford will average 12-15 range with how aggressive he is with driving and how refs are calling fouls. He really reminds me of Retin Obasahon from Bama.

Swinesong1

Named MVP of NJCAA all-star game in Vegas.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 06, 2016, 02:54:31 pm
I think it is realistic to feel Barford will average 12-15 range with how aggressive he is with driving and how refs are calling fouls. He really reminds me of Retin Obasahon from Bama.

At first I was going to disagree because Bell averaged 16pts and Barford is far more skilled but then I realized this upcoming season's Razorback team will not be Dependant on 3 players putting up nearly 20 a game but will be much more spread out within the roster. Macon will have his moments along with Cook which will take much needed pressure off of Hannah & Kingsley.

Barford & Hannah are volume shooters so I am also expecting a occasional 30+ pt outburst from those two during next yrs campaign.

Cook & Baily are very aggressive Rebounder's giving Kingsley 25 minute games instead if 30 which can take its toll on a big man.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

SWD26

This is a few days old but is a pretty good read on Jaylen Barford.

Barford among best players in Buck's history

With his Motlow State Community College playing career over and his time as a student-athlete drawing to a close with graduation May 7, Jaylen Barford has cemented his place as one of the greatest players in any sport in the history of Motlow athletics.

Barford will continue as a student-athlete next year at the University of Arkansas, becoming the first player in recent memory from Motlow to earn an opportunity to play in the Southeastern Conference.

His accomplishments, accolades and school records are many. Before the 2015-16 basketball season even started, Barford was announced by multiple scouting and recruiting services as the top junior college basketball player in the nation.

He more than lived up to the preseason hype, leading the nation in scoring with a 26.2 points-per-game average and being named a First Team All-American by the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). Although records from the early years at Motlow are not fully complete, Barford is believed to be only the fourth player in school history to be honored on the first team; joining baseball players Mark Shuler (1978) and Tyler Murphy (2012), and softball star Cassandra Jo Sharp (2000).

Barford was named the men's basketball Player of the Year by the Tennessee Community College Athletic Association (TCCAA) and earned first team all-tournament honors. He led his Bucks' team to a sparkling 25-7 overall record during the recently completed season and an overall record of 48-13 during his two seasons wearing the green and gold. The Bucks advanced to the semifinals of the conference tournament in 2014-15 and played for the tournament championship last season, falling 73-68 to Southwest Tennessee.

Motlow State men's basketball individual school records are dominated primarily by those who played during the early years of the program. Names such as Bob Martin, Jack Battle and Larry Mackin remain near the top of most career and single-season statistical categories. More than any player since all-time leading scorer Tim Fant graduated in 1990, Barford has earned his place among those superstars from the 1970s.

Barford is second in career points with 1,393, trailing only Fant, who scored 1,551 during his brilliant career. Barford passed legendary figures such as Martin, Battle, Billy Holt and John Gales during the late stages of the 2015-16 season, which included his brilliant 45-point effort during the semifinal round of the conference tournament.

His 23.6 points-per-game career scoring average is fourth all-time, with Fant leading the way at 26.7. Barford is fifth in total rebounds with 423, with Martin holding down the top spot with 773 during his career from 1974-76. Martin also leads in the rebounds per game category, averaging an amazing 14.4. Barford is sixth on that list at 7.2.

Perhaps what set Barford apart from many of those great players from the past, with the exception of Battle, was his versatility. Prior to Barford, Battle was the only player in Motlow history to rank in the top 10 on the career list in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals.

Barford not only joined Battle in those categories, but passed him in most. Barford's 287 career assists is sixth all-time, with Mackin holding the top spot at 584 total assists and a 9.7 assists-per-game average. Barford's 4.9 average is also sixth on the all-time list.

Mackin had held the all-time steals total record of 153 for 40 years until Barford tied him with a steal late in the conference championship game. Barford averaged 2.6 steals-per-game, tied with Mackin for second all-time.

Barford's place in the single-season record book is equally impressive. He scored 837 points this past season, second all-time behind Martin's 860 during the 1974-75 campaign. Barford averaged 26.2 points each game, third behind Martin and Fant.

His 45-point performance against Columbia State in the TCCAA tournament tied him with Martin for the fourth-best all time. Fant set the record of 50 in 1989 and repeated it in 1990. During that thrilling win over the Chargers, Barford connected on 19-22 free throws, the second-best charity stripe shooting day in Bucks history. Andy Baits hit 21-23 free throws in 1985.

Finally, Barford is only the second player in Motlow men's basketball history to be named an All-American following both of his seasons. Freddie Goldstein was named Honorable Mention in both 2010 and 2011.

http://www.tullahomanews.com/barford-among-best-players-in-bucks-history/

hawgmasta

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 04, 2016, 08:52:22 am

Mama he's a bad man!

VirginiaHog

Quote from: hawgmasta on May 01, 2016, 07:32:02 pm
Mama he's a bad man!
Absolute stud. Was a steal. Can wait to see bim play for us. I hope it translates to D1. I feel it will

Biggus Piggus

We have fans wondering whether Barford can average 10 ppg. He might be one and done.
[CENSORED]!

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 02, 2016, 08:38:29 am
We have fans wondering whether Barford can average 10 ppg. He might be one and done.
And that's a real possibility. Whitt transferring due to being worried about playing time makes a lot of sense when you see this kid play.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: azhog10 on May 02, 2016, 10:03:15 am
And that's a real possibility. Whitt transferring due to being worried about playing time makes a lot of sense when you see this kid play.

Whitt transferred because he is lazy and doesn't want to work. But agree with you.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jonteviosk on May 02, 2016, 01:13:05 pm
Whitt transferred because he is lazy and doesn't want to work. But agree with you.

You don't know that. Just pure speculation.

Hawg Red

There's so much that goes on inside of a program that we as fans don't know about. It's easy to say, "Oh, he should have just come back and worked harder." But this is his life. I'm sure he has aspirations to play in the NBA. If he genuinely feels like Arkansas is not the fit he thought it would be, for whatever reason(s), I don't think that automatically means he is lazy, doesn't want to work, or afraid of competition. I'd have to think if any of those were true, Mike would have agreed with this decision to transfer out. But we do know that Mike publicly disagreed with that decision. I just think it's a case of a kid making a tough decision for his future. I thought he would have been a big part of the team next season.

FineAsSwine

with the normal progression from frosh to soph, Whitt should have been ready to take and maintain a more prominent role next year. Maybe he didn't think so. He did cite the arrival of the two juco's so that makes it look like he didn't want to compete with those guys.

rude1

Or it could be that he felt he wouldn't get a fair shake even when the guy playing in front of him (Beard) isn't doing any better. CMA has this motto of "earning" what you get, can anyone honestly say AB earned his playing time back based off performance?

azhog10

Quote from: rude1 on May 02, 2016, 06:40:30 pm
Or it could be that he felt he wouldn't get a fair shake even when the guy playing in front of him (Beard) isn't doing any better. CMA has this motto of "earning" what you get, can anyone honestly say AB earned his playing time back based off performance?
Cant say Whitt did any more either. Whitt had a few late game turnovers with the ball in his hand and the game on the line.

Big Nasty 34

If you believe that then you believe CMA is a bold faced liar as he referred to Whitt as one of the hardest working freshman he's ever had with great potential iirc.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 02, 2016, 09:59:41 pm
If you believe that then you believe CMA is a bold faced liar as he referred to Whitt as one of the hardest working freshman he's ever had with great potential iirc.

Maybe that was before he decided to dip because of competition. Hard working competitors don't transfer because of JUCO guys, you just outwork them.

rude1

Quote from: azhog10 on May 02, 2016, 06:51:58 pm
Cant say Whitt did any more either. Whitt had a few late game turnovers with the ball in his hand and the game on the line.
Whitt seldom saw himself in the game during crunch time, Beard however made many bad decisions and plays during winning time. I am not saying Whitt set the world on fire, he obviously didn't, but on the other hand I failed to see what Beard did after coming off suspension to warrant taking Whitt's minutes.

On another note the thing most puzzling to me is for the second straight year the staff has seem to be caught off guard that a player was unhappy and was going to transfer. I would think that there needs to be better communication with the players, especially the freshman, during the season to gauge their contentment with the program so that maybe it can be worked through before the player has made up his mind he is leaving. At a bare minimum you get a heads up that you need to be recruiting to fill that spot before the seasons end.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on May 03, 2016, 12:14:45 pm
Whitt seldom saw himself in the game during crunch time, Beard however made many bad decisions and plays during winning time. I am not saying Whitt set the world on fire, he obviously didn't, but on the other hand I failed to see what Beard did after coming off suspension to warrant taking Whitt's minutes.

On another note the thing most puzzling to me is for the second straight year the staff has seem to be caught off guard that a player was unhappy and was going to transfer. I would think that there needs to be better communication with the players, especially the freshman, during the season to gauge their contentment with the program so that maybe it can be worked through before the player has made up his mind he is leaving. At a bare minimum you get a heads up that you need to be recruiting to fill that spot before the seasons end.

I agree.  CMA needs to evaluate his coaches and himself to find out why kids are leaving.  If he has a bad apple up there he needs to get rid of it.   But something is wrong.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 26, 2016, 03:10:24 pm
6'5" is NBA size for the point.  Nice to finally have a big guard who can see over the defense. Makes it easier to get the ball to Moses in the post.

This is almost too good to be true if Barford is a true combo guard with nice PG skills who is legit 6'5.  He might average 12+ ppg.   I think he is my favorite player on next years team already and has not played a game.

azhog10

Quote from: rude1 on May 03, 2016, 12:14:45 pm

And who's to say he didn't? IF he knew Whitt wasn't happy, there's not much he can do in the early signing period bc that already happened. Do you feel like we have yet to fill Whitt's spot? Or are you speaking more to Babb and not Whitt?

RealHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on May 03, 2016, 07:56:22 am
Maybe that was before he decided to dip because of competition. Hard working competitors don't transfer because of JUCO guys, you just outwork them.

One thing I hope CMA is able to do is tell people they have to hit the bench if they aren't worthy of the minutes. I'm not saying he has to go "Spring Creening" type level on ruthlessly oversigning, yanking schollies, and forcing transfers, but sometimes I don't know if he would be able to make tough decisions for the betterment of the program. Him never making staff changes and just shuffling Zimmerman over to Administration really makes me think this too.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on May 03, 2016, 03:48:44 pm
And who's to say he didn't? IF he knew Whitt wasn't happy, there's not much he can do in the early signing period bc that already happened. Do you feel like we have yet to fill Whitt's spot? Or are you speaking more to Babb and not Whitt?

He's saying Beard has appeared to not do much of anything except for a few weeks perhaps his Fr season to earn the playing time he has gotten.  He faded his Fr season and didn't bring much this season.  To get a recruit like Whitt through a personal connection and then to have him leave isn't good.  Whitt should have understood more than most any recruit what he was getting into but still felt betrayed(not validating as I don't know exactly what he was told to expect).
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.