Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any 3D tournament shooters here?

Started by clutch, February 10, 2009, 07:24:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

I shoot a lot of 3D tournaments. It's a blast and a great way to keep your shooting skills sharp throughout the summer. The first shoot of the year in Jonesboro is Sunday. I'm excited about it so I thought I'd start a topic to see if anybody else on here enjoys 3D shoots.

Southerneyes

Since you 3D shoot maybe you could help me or anyone else..........I'm wanting to get a new release and I'm wanting to change from the wrist style to the thumb release style or a tension release style I only hunt don't do the 3D competion(I'm not good enough)..........I see more and more hunters using these style release's and you are suppose to shoot better groups with these style release's............any thoughts???

clutch

February 11, 2009, 05:48:42 pm #2 Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:55:42 pm by clutch
Quote from: Southerneyes on February 11, 2009, 09:35:45 am
Since you 3D shoot maybe you could help me or anyone else..........I'm wanting to get a new release and I'm wanting to change from the wrist style to the thumb release style or a tension release style I only hunt don't do the 3D competion(I'm not good enough)..........I see more and more hunters using these style release's and you are suppose to shoot better groups with these style release's............any thoughts???
You will shoot better groups with a back tension release. Truball makes a good one. They are pretty expensive though. Most all of those back tension releases are expensive, but hey so is everything else in the archery world that is any good at all. I use a back tension release when shooting 3D, but don't use them when I'm hunting. They make a little bit of noise. That doesn't seem to matter to much now days though because all the bows are so fast that the deer don't have time to jump the arrow. I am still very picky about my hunting set up and my biggest thing is how quite it is. I will go ahead and warn you though, if you have never shot a back tension release be prepaired to lose a few arrows while trying to figure it out. I have seen a lot of people that have never used one launch arrows before they were even aimed at the target on accident. So be careful while trying to figure it out, they will go off as soon as you turn your wrist.

Oh and you don't have to be good to go out to the 3D shoots. They are for people of all skill levels. Each target is so far apart that it is usually just you and your buddies around the target you are shooting at. It's a great way to practice and have a good time. Not to mention you learn a lot about judging distances and just shooting in general. I would recommend to anyone to go out an find your nearest 3D shoot and try it out sometime. I'd guarentee that you would have a blast. Now the indoor shoots are a different story. They are a ton of fun to, but are nerve racking because you have a crowd watching.

razorback327

I shoot 3D quite a bit, our clubs first one was in Jan. and I pretty much stunk up the show.  I ended up with a 352 for 48 targets.  They great for learning to judge yardage.

SultanofSwine

S-eyes, check out the Carter releases.

tophawg19

it's amazing how quick you will become better once you start shooting tournaments . just go and have fun . eyes start in the novice division and work your way up . you will be suprised at how much more fun practice yes i said practice becomes . and it's great for families
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

clutch

Where is your club razorbacks327? I would like to shoot one with 48 targets. I go to a bunch of different ones and all mine have 26 targets if you shoot bonuse, 25 without bonus. A few of mine opened up in Jan. but I didnt have a chance to go.

Southerneyes

Quote from: SultanofSwine on February 12, 2009, 04:36:11 pm
S-eyes, check out the Carter releases.

Sultano the Carter is the one I was looking at, I wanted some opinions about them before I spent close to $200 for a release....Is the Carter quite??

clutch

None of the tension releases are very quite, but most bows are so fast now that it doesn't really matter. I have a friend that shoots a back tension release when hunting. I just don't because I have a thing about quiteness. You would probably be ok if you really wanted to shoot one.

razorback327

February 17, 2009, 04:02:40 pm #9 Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:07:02 pm by razorback327
Quote from: clutch on February 12, 2009, 07:29:25 pm
Where is your club razorbacks327? I would like to shoot one with 48 targets. I go to a bunch of different ones and all mine have 26 targets if you shoot bonuse, 25 without bonus. A few of mine opened up in Jan. but I didnt have a chance to go.

It's in Clearwater, KS, called Ninnescah Bowhunters.  Ours is 2 rounds of 24, with a different set of stakes for each round, plus 1 bonus shot each round.

clutch

Quote from: razorback327 on February 17, 2009, 04:02:40 pm
It's in Clearwater, KS, called Ninnescah Bowhunters.  Ours is 2 rounds of 24, with a different set of stakes for each round, plus 1 bonus shot each round.
Nice. I wish ours was 2 rounds. They are all just 1 round of 25 with a bonus each round though. I am looking in to opening one up here in the next couple of weeks. I called ASA today about getting some targets. Two of the shoots in my area decided not to do theirs anymore so I am thinking I could get a lot of people out to mine if I opened one up. After the targets are paid for its straight profit.