Started by Karma, August 17, 2017, 02:45:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 17, 2017, 08:34:24 pm
From the article:

"The blemish for Long is an obvious one: Arkansas hasn't won really big in football or men's basketball. My biggest appreciation for Long is that he took a stand and fired Bobby Petrino after he lied and embarrassed the university. Not every AD would do that given Petrino's success at the time. It took some courage. "

So basically him firing cbp trumps the terrible last 5 years in football.  I've never seen anyone get so much mileage from a firing.  I could see if he made a great hire, but anyone can fire a coach.
Just more proof on how he really got his name on the map.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

mckinneyhog5

Great AD...the people who disagree are butt hurt about him firing BP.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 17, 2017, 11:05:41 pm
Just more proof on how he really got his name on the map.

And how did you get your name considered as one of the best in your industry?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

JayHog

Firing CBP was a great "career" move for Long. It set us back a decade or more as a program, but at least it worked out great for him.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: JayHog on August 18, 2017, 02:31:13 am
Firing CBP was a great "career" move for Long. It set us back a decade or more as a program, but at least it worked out great for him.

10 years? I would like to see your equation on that.

Do you credit CBP for his horrific attrition rate that was in the verge of biting us in the butt? He was fortunate to wreck his bike and not have his career tarnished.

I'll wait for your equation as I'm excited to see how that math works.  ;D

Hoggle

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 18, 2017, 01:55:43 am
And how did you get your name considered as one of the best in your industry?  ;)

Well, once my company became more successful than it had been in decades and started taking market share from competitors I fired the guy responsible for this crazy success because he had an affair and lied to Me (capital "M") about it. The heads of the competing companies and the media from their towns took a vote and think I'm great!!! 

Now my company, which I have no real ties to anyway, is back in its place and my competitors LOVE me!!!!  😉

3kgthog

Fired BP. Hired Jimmy Dykes. Hired a blithering idiot that nearly smiled the football program into the ground in one season. Hired his replacement that owns our worst SEC season in school history. Yep, what a great AD.

HardCore

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on August 17, 2017, 03:41:32 pm
Am I the only one who likes JL lol?

No.  Looks like there are about a half dozen or so that are with you.  Four of them are probably work-study kids
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 18, 2017, 03:38:00 am
10 years? I would like to see your equation on that.

Do you credit CBP for his horrific attrition rate that was in the verge of biting us in the butt? He was fortunate to wreck his bike and not have his career tarnished.

I'll wait for your equation as I'm excited to see how that math works.  ;D

Now I'm wondering how your math works.  Since CBP wasn't here to coach those teams you describe, you can't tie the season results to him.  Too much conjecture in your analysis.  However, since JL hired his replacements, you can tie the season outcomes to the replacements, and credit JL for the decisions that put us on that path.  As for CBP, his supporters could just as easily argue that had he been retained, 4-8 could have become 8-4, and perhaps 3-9 could have become 9-3.  We still had talent on the roster when he was fired, and his coaching record certainly lends itself to that possibility.  Then again, you would rightly claim too much conjecture in that analysis.

Here's how my math works.  I like CBB, but he doesn't get paid $4M/year for me to like him.  If we start the season 1-2, I will  :puke:, and know that under JL's leadership we have been successfully converted to the Southern Pitt.  Our recurring regular season peak will likely be 7-5 or 6-6, with a random 8-4 thrown in every 6-7 years.  Hard to get excited about that.

Redhogs

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 18, 2017, 04:00:35 am
Fired BP. Hired Jimmy Dykes. Hired a blithering idiot that nearly smiled the football program into the ground in one season. Hired his replacement that owns our worst SEC season in school history. Yep, what a great AD.
Thank you...
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on August 17, 2017, 09:51:57 pm
You said 16 regular season wins over the next two years.  I don't think that happens.

Well, I guess we'll play it out and see what happens. I think it does, but neither of our thinking will effect the outcome, haha.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wildhog on August 17, 2017, 08:55:47 pm
I'm pretty indifferent to Long.  Will be interested to see who his next football hire is.

He's O-fer in this sport here.

Seems the smart move would be to delegate that choice to someone else.

RME

Athletic department as a whole is probably the healthiest it's ever been.

Fired Petrino: Yeah, I'm sure if you guys in management positions told an employee to tell you the truth and he lied to your face (again), you wouldn't take action.

Mike Anderson: Dude with Arkansas ties and bringing Mizzou off 3 straight tournament appearances, including an Elite Eight.

Bielema: 7 straight bowl games, including 3 straight Rose Bowls for with an overall record of 68-24.

So what am I missing? Are you guys bitching just to bitch? Or is it the buyouts and extensions you aren't happy with?

The hires were big at the time. Denying that is stupid. They haven't panned out like most people thought, but Long doesn't coach the damn teams. Interesting the same people who are pissed about the Smiley hire and subsequent turnover are the same ones who want to fire a head coach after 2-3 seasons. Let's talk about dumpster fire and turnover if Long had that mindset.

hawgon

I'm pretty sure 80 percent of the people on this board could do as well as Long given that the athletic department gets an infusion of between 40 and 60 million dollars a year from the SEC.

If you want to give credit, give it to JFB.  His foresight in moving us to the SEC meant that no future Arkansas AD would EVER AGAIN face the financial pressures that Broyles himself navigated us through.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Wildhog on August 17, 2017, 08:55:47 pm
I'm pretty indifferent to Long.  Will be interested to see who his next football hire is.

I don't think he will be here for the next hire. He will move on to something bigger. I think he'd make a good commissioner type.

hogsanity

The problem is too many people see the entire athletic department through wins and losses in football only. Long has done an outstanding job at his job, which is to make sure the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is well funded, well staffed, and operating within the rules of the SEC and NCAA. On those points no one can HONESTLY say he has not done a great job. It is NOT his job to win football games. IF at some point he or the BOT feels there needs to be a change at the HC position in football, there will be.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on August 18, 2017, 09:27:37 am
The problem is too many people see the entire athletic department through wins and losses in football only. Long has done an outstanding job at his job, which is to make sure the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is well funded, well staffed, and operating within the rules of the SEC and NCAA. On those points no one can HONESTLY say he has not done a great job. It is NOT his job to win football games. IF at some point he or the BOT feels there needs to be a change at the HC position in football, there will be.
Don't bring logic and sanity into this equation! It's called the "Football Department," not "Athletic Department," don't you know?

VBCHog

Long is what they call a carpetbagger.

EastexHawg

Quote from: AP85 on August 17, 2017, 09:11:14 pm
Yep, the bumpkins are redfaced and angry.

Bumpkin.  Is that what the urban dictionary calls people who don't like losing?

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 18, 2017, 09:21:33 am
I'm pretty sure 80 percent of the people on this board could do as well as Long given that the athletic department gets an infusion of between 40 and 60 million dollars a year from the SEC.

If you want to give credit, give it to JFB.  His foresight in moving us to the SEC meant that no future Arkansas AD would EVER AGAIN face the financial pressures that Broyles himself navigated us through.

Then why aren't 1% of this board in that position? I wouldn't entrust you with my "walking money", much less anything we more than 3 zeros. I doubt real serious that there are more than a couple on here that manages a $100M budget.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 09:49:35 am
Then why aren't 1% of this board in that position? I wouldn't entrust you with my "walking money", much less anything we more than 3 zeros. I doubt real serious that there are more than a couple on here that manages a $100M budget.

I doubt your walking money would interest me much.  I ain't got the poors.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Hoggle on August 18, 2017, 03:49:35 am
Well, once my company became more successful than it had been in decades and started taking market share from competitors I fired the guy responsible for this crazy success because he had an affair and lied to Me (capital "M") about it. The heads of the competing companies and the media from their towns took a vote and think I'm great!!! 

Now my company, which I have no real ties to anyway, is back in its place and my competitors LOVE me!!!!  😉

Exactly.  Long gets a lot of praise in the media but nobody is trying to steal him from us.  If we had the 4th best football coach you can bet he'd be getting job offers every year.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on August 18, 2017, 09:21:33 am

I am pretty sure 80% THINK they could do his job. Just like 80% THINK they could do BB's job. Yet none of them are doing similar jobs, wonder why?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 09:49:35 am

You may be right, my wife manages our budget(business and personal) and has for 41 years.  All I do is produce.

I taught here everything she knew was though...LOL!

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggle on August 18, 2017, 03:49:35 am

Some of you would crawl up and kiss BP on the mouth if he had just burned down your house, killed your dog and insulted your wife.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 18, 2017, 08:03:12 am
He's O-fer in this sport here.

Seems the smart move would be to delegate that choice to someone else.
You guys with this reasoning say some of the stupidest darn.

Bret Bielema was the BIGGEST possible hire at that time.  Chris Petersen was the only POSSIBLE hire that was bigger, and he ultimately decided he would wait for a PAC 10 gig.  Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh weren't coming. 

No matter the results (and I don't think they are complete yet), CBB was a HUGE hire.
All Gas, No Brakes!

cityhog

Quote from: hawgon on August 17, 2017, 04:41:33 pm
He successfully navigated the tricky waters the school faced when it switched to Pepsi products.  That's worth something.

You run a major company that has to deal with Coke and get back to me.

navyhog24

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 18, 2017, 10:18:09 am
You guys with this reasoning say some of the stupidest darn.

Bret Bielema was the BIGGEST possible hire at that time.  Chris Petersen was the only POSSIBLE hire that was bigger, and he ultimately decided he would wait for a PAC 10 gig.  Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh weren't coming. 

No matter the results (and I don't think they are complete yet), CBB was a HUGE hire.

CBB had never built a program. He was only asked to maintain what Barry Alvarez had built at Wisconsin. We are Bielema's first shot at building a program and so far he sucks at it.

Marshfieldhog

John L Smith, Jimmy Dykes, and Pepsi. Yeah, that's one of the Top AD's in the country.  :puke:

factchecker

I'm pretty sure the Pepsi deal is a campus wide contract.  How much influence did Long have over the switch?

http://news.uark.edu/articles/18545/university-pepsico-finalizing-campus-beverages-contract
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogHomer

Quote from: navyhog24 on August 18, 2017, 10:38:02 am
CBB had never built a program. He was only asked to maintain what Barry Alvarez had built at Wisconsin. We are Bielema's first shot at building a program and so far he sucks at it.
As far as building a program I would say our program is as healthy and stable as it has been in a while. Are we at the level of production we want to be no but at least we're not having to pull an intramural QB just to have another body in camp. We rarely have kids in trouble with the law anymore other than the occasion public intox. Attrition is down and most of the time when a kid leaves it's not because of academics.

That is how you build a program and if he doesn't get it done in the next two years then the next coach will have a nice base to work with.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 18, 2017, 10:16:25 am
You may be right, my wife manages our budget(business and personal) and has for 41 years.  All I do is produce.

I taught here everything she knew was though...LOL!

I feel ya. I make 85% of the money but somehow still get 85% of the projects around the house. (Dishes, cleaning up after twins, mowing & weedeating, taking out the trash, cooking, etc.....)

My wife has to deal with a "constantly needing momma" newborn, so I'd say that's fair.
This is my non-signature signature.

Headhog32

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 18, 2017, 10:50:31 am
I feel ya. I make 85% of the money but somehow still get 85% of the projects around the house. (Dishes, cleaning up after twins, mowing & weedeating, taking out the trash, cooking, etc.....)

My wife has to deal with a "constantly needing momma" newborn, so I'd say that's fair.
I'm just a broke college student  :'(

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 10:53:50 am
I'm just a broke college student  :'(

Enjoy your brokedom.

Mo money, mo problems. Mo family, mo problems but more satisfaction.

4 year old twins, 3 week old daughter. (I'm 41).

Be responsible, wait until you're seriously stable, then settle down and start a family.

After that, I got nothin.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 18, 2017, 10:56:24 am
Enjoy your brokedom.

Mo money, mo problems. Mo family, mo problems but more satisfaction.

4 year old twins, 3 week old daughter. (I'm 41).

Be responsible, wait until you're seriously stable, then settle down and start a family.

After that, I got nothin.

Oh Man. I am only 6 years older and I am moving one to college tomorrow.

Headhog32

thanks for the advice! I guess I will enjoy being broke the best I can, haha

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 18, 2017, 10:13:23 am

I doubt you've seen that much, but I noticed you didn't address any of the other  statements. Now, are the other AD'S that could do the job, you bet, but that wasn't your point.

Razor_Hawgs88

Quote from: rljjr on August 17, 2017, 04:04:27 pm
Anyone with a lick of sense likes what JL does for the athletic program as a whole. There are some decisions he's made I'm not fond of (slobberin' Hog, baseball uniforms, etc), but his business sense is fantastic and for me the good outweighs the minor stuff.

Qualification being that you must have at least one lick of sense; this disqualifies many.

Headhog32

Quote from: Razor_Hawgs88 on August 18, 2017, 11:17:53 am
Qualification being that you must have at least one lick of sense; this disqualifies many.
how much is a lick? curious

hogsanity

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 11:19:26 am

More than what people who think JL is not a good AD have.

prattville pig

there are only like twenty-something athletics departments that actually make money, we are one of them
Life's too short to last long.

Razor_Hawgs88

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 11:19:26 am

I would say an 8th grade education=one lick; its only up from there

Headhog32

Quote from: prattville pig on August 18, 2017, 11:22:00 am
there are only like twenty-something athletics departments that actually make money, we are one of them
some people hate him because he fails to bring in good coaches (or they think he does) I have my ups and downs with the guy. but I do think he does an awesome job when it comes to the money $$

gchamblee

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on August 17, 2017, 03:41:32 pm
Am I the only one who likes JL lol?

Nope. I love having him as our AD. I would be incredibly upset if we lose him.

ricepig

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 11:24:49 am
some people hate him because he fails to bring in good coaches (or they think he does) I have my ups and downs with the guy. but I do think he does an awesome job when it comes to the money $$

Dykes was a terrible choice and Smith was an easy out for a caretaker. I doubt anyone thought we were going to hit a homerun hire in April. Mike and Bret were proven winners elsewhere, so you can't say they were terrible hires when they were hired.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 11:12:35 am
I doubt you've seen that much, but I noticed you didn't address any of the other  statements. Now, are the other AD'S that could do the job, you bet, but that wasn't your point.

The rest of your statement?  Clay is the CFO, not Long.  He manages the mortgage.

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on August 18, 2017, 10:13:23 am

Maybe so, but you sure have the stupids.